Narrow than normal A/V receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 03-18-2013, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need a 16.5" (max width by less-than15" deep) A/V Receiver. 100 watts, 5.1 minimum. Can someone steer me into a current model with HDMI 3d? between $200-$400 is my pricing area. Thanks loads.

Bob Coppersmith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-18-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Every receiver I've ever owned is the standard 17+" wide and that includes Sony, Sherwood Newcastle, Denon, Onkyo,Yamaha, Harman Kardon, etc.

You can definitely find receivers under 15" deep but the width may be a problem. No way you can widen your space?

You might find a HTIB system that is less wide but do you really want one of those?

Afro GT
post #3 of 22 Old 03-18-2013, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 226
I was recently looking for a small receiver for my mom, and they were all 17" wide.
post #4 of 22 Old 03-19-2013, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

We "commissioned" a very nice natural wood, glass doored, multiple shelf stand exactly 4 inches lower than our wall-mounted 65" 3-D TV. (Now my wires are all hidden!) Specification to builder was 17.3" wide.

I, of course, meant inside width, the builders did outside width using 1/2 inch maple. After laboriously staining and polyurethaning it, I tried put the A/V receiver in it the other day & I almost cried. I definitely swore.... a lot. I got $350 invested in a nice new portable bookshelf.

I have since learned that a) it is an industry standard to build A/V systems from 17.1-17 3/8" wide b) there are a few offerings under 17", but none "contemporary" and value priced enough for my liking. I can:
a) cut the top, bottom and back completely in half, b) inlay the top with tile or marble or some other decorative "band" and c) buy a new door. (This actually fixes the need to drill holes for wiring as I 'd have a wide slit thru the back)

Or, I could pray someone has found some type "mini" A/V receiver/component with HDMI, 3-D, etc. that can go with my Bose 201s and 301s.. The Xbox 360, the Wii, power backup, etc. all fit well inside it, as does my streaming Western Digital box.

Bob Coppersmith
post #5 of 22 Old 03-19-2013, 08:14 AM

My Pioneer Elite VSX21TXH is 16.56" according to the spec - I've seen a few floating around out there pretty cheap and it sounds great...

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/VSX-21TXH

Tried to upgrade a while back and had your same issue - the furniture I use has a 17" opening which is plenty for my VSX21 but tried to put a 17.1" Denon 2112CI in there and it was no dice. So close and yet so far!
post #6 of 22 Old 03-22-2013, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Can you see the $400 top end in my above quote? I am almost 60 and my ears have deteriorated to the point that there is not much tonal distinction between a Pioneer and a Qukwaphonic.

Bob Coppersmith
post #7 of 22 Old 03-22-2013, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
The Pioneer VSX-21THX is from 2009 and is only availabe used. You should be able to find one priced within your budget. It probably doesn't support 3D though.

If you don't need surround sound, one of those micro systems might work. Hook up video directly to the TV and audio to the microsystem. You might need an external switch depeding on how many sources you have.

Otherwise you're probably stuck with a HTIB like afrogt mentioned. You'd probably be forced to used the bundled speakers, and you might also need an external switch.
post #8 of 22 Old 03-24-2013, 05:11 AM

Liked: 18
The only receiver that I have seen that has looked small than others is the Marantz Slimline. Unfortunately it is the height that is smaller and not width. As mentioned, htib may be the only option.
post #9 of 22 Old 03-24-2013, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copp View Post

We "commissioned" a very nice natural wood, glass doored, multiple shelf stand exactly 4 inches lower than our wall-mounted 65" 3-D TV. (Now my wires are all hidden!) Specification to builder was 17.3" wide.

I, of course, meant inside width, the builders did outside width using 1/2 inch maple.
After laboriously staining and polyurethaning it, I tried put the A/V receiver in it the other day & I almost cried. I definitely swore.... a lot. I got $350 invested in a nice new portable bookshelf.

I have since learned that a) it is an industry standard to build A/V systems from 17.1-17 3/8" wide b) there are a few offerings under 17", but none "contemporary" and value priced enough for my liking. I can:
a) cut the top, bottom and back completely in half, b) inlay the top with tile or marble or some other decorative "band" and c) buy a new door. (This actually fixes the need to drill holes for wiring as I 'd have a wide slit thru the back)

Or, I could pray someone has found some type "mini" A/V receiver/component with HDMI, 3-D, etc. that can go with my Bose 201s and 301s.. The Xbox 360, the Wii, power backup, etc. all fit well inside it, as does my streaming Western Digital box.

if the builder fubar'd the build why did you take delivery of it? I'd get that builder on the phone right away and see what can be done to make it right.

if you want a decent set up you are going to have to make a spot for the gear. a htib solution is crap imho..you will not get the sound quality or flexibility a modern a/v receiver has to offer by getting some htib plastic crappola.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
post #10 of 22 Old 03-24-2013, 06:23 AM

Liked: 37
I agree with Jason above. Do whatever you can to avoid the HTIB route. Since you say the shelf is portable, I assume it is not built into your wall so I also wonder why you accepted it. Unless the instructions to the builder, regarding the 17.3" width, were not in writing. If not, unfortunately we all know the outcome - classic he said/she said argument.

I'm afraid the product you want that will meet all your needs as outlined in your OP, simply doesn't exist. So the way I see it, your stuck and something has to give....
1) You can either suck up the $350 spent for the shelf and start cutting it yourself to make the necessary modifications. 2) Or you can forego 3D and look at used Pioneers AVR'S (pre 2011) and hopefully the 16.54" will fit. 3) Or live with a HTIB.

Again, if it was me, the last one is unacceptable and I would make the hard decision between number 1 or 2. Sorry.

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
post #11 of 22 Old 03-24-2013, 11:54 AM

Liked: 11
here is your solution .you can get one of these. Dimensions are (H x W x D) 4" x 15-25/32" x 10-1/4
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harman-Kardon-BDS-5-5-1-Channel-Blu-ray-Disc-Receiver-/390563623475?pt=Receivers_Tuners&hash=item5aef67f233
post #12 of 22 Old 03-24-2013, 12:09 PM

here is another option, I had one in my bedroom, a great lil unit.. thats about it for your options for keeping separates
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/media-controllers/
post #13 of 22 Old 03-24-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Don't forget about adequate ventilation..
A minimum of 3-4" free-air clearance for the left/right sides and top cover is recommended..

Just my $0.02... 👍😉
post #14 of 22 Old 03-25-2013, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

I had seen the NeoHD stuff before, but its old and not sold at normal retail anymore. I see Ebay has a slew of them though. Probably my way to go, assuming the 3D is met.

Kudos for the Harmon Kardon reference, but it only takes a single coax input from outside itself. I need a couple of analog/HDMI inputs for Xbox, etc.. Not even sure it does 3D on the HDMI 1.3 of its specs.

I took delivery on the furniture, waited two weeks, started laboriously staining and applying 4 coats of polyurethane, went on a trip out of state, came back and brought it into the house, inserted Xbox, Wii, cut holes in the back and in the shelves for power and wires th next weekend, then, finally, about 5 weeks after delivery went to insert my receiver.....the wood place had since gone out of business. Besides, my order was 17.5" WIDE. I never said inside or outside dimensions.

My Bad.

It would seems that when a STANDARD is developed, it is a true STANDARD. 17.1".

Bob Coppersmith
post #15 of 22 Old 03-25-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

You really should've asked for it to be a least couple more inches wider to allow clearance for cooling. If you had gotten what you expected, having only 0.2" of space on each side could have very well shortened the life of your receiver.

You might also want consider whether you can put a receiver somewhere else. Like on top of the cabinent or on a table next to it. Maybe you can fit one of those Marantz slim receivers underneath your TV.
post #16 of 22 Old 03-25-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 107
1 thing we do for installs where space is @ a premium..
Is that we mount the products in a separate cabinet or equipment closet and just run a remote sensor eye..
We have actually mounted the remote sensor eye behind floral arrangements, works well with the equipment out of sight..
Since all primary functions should be shown on-screen, user operation is EZ and straight forward.

Just my $0.02... 👍😉
post #17 of 22 Old 03-27-2013, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, but, once again, the whole concept was for this elegant wood-with-snazzy-glass-door to house ALL electronics with TWO cords, almost invisible (power and HDMI), only visible if you looked closely. In my seeking, I have found a few things, but they are fairly expensive and always refurbs or used. True 3D HDMI (with return) has only been out a few years. I already HAVE resigned myself to cutting the damn thing or doing it all over again.

Bob Coppersmith
post #18 of 22 Old 03-27-2013, 08:07 AM

You have a pic of this cab, some of the back corners, how was it put together? Sounds like your only options is to widen it..f you got basic tools it might be doable..
post #19 of 22 Old 03-27-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copp View Post

Thanks, but, once again, the whole concept was for this elegant wood-with-snazzy-glass-door to house ALL electronics with TWO cords, almost invisible (power and HDMI), only visible if you looked closely.

Putting your receiver behind a glass door isn't a great idea either, especially if the back is enclosed as well. AV receivers really need to be put in a open cabinent so that they can properly cool themselves. Even with the 3"-4" inches of all around clearance that M Code recommends (and the often even greater clearances manufacturers officially recommend) if the heat can't escape you're going to limit the lifetime of your receiver if you use it for extended periods.
post #20 of 22 Old 03-27-2013, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ridge View Post

Putting your receiver behind a glass door isn't a great idea either, especially if the back is enclosed as well. AV receivers really need to be put in a open cabinent so that they can properly cool themselves. Even with the 3"-4" inches of all around clearance that M Code recommends (and the often even greater clearances manufacturers officially recommend) if the heat can't escape you're going to limit the lifetime of your receiver if you use it for extended periods.

+1

I took out the pane of glass on my A/V cabinet so that my receiver can breathe. Looks a little odd, but it's better than keeping the door open all the time (or cooking your receiver).
post #21 of 22 Old 08-09-2013, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

If anyone has anything else to contribute, please do. I have cut away a bit of the back of the unit in order to accommodate all the power and cables. I even stuck a fan in there, mindful of the heat issues. The whole Blu-Ray A/V receiver combo sounded great, but its about $400 too much. Trying to get my wife to use the cabinet for her Kitchen, so far, no dice.

Bob Coppersmith
post #22 of 22 Old 08-09-2013, 04:34 PM
gdX

Home Decor is the enemy of good audio.

The obvious weak link in this setup is the Cabinet In Which Nothing Fits. Unload it. Use it as a night stand. Or a patio seat. Seriously, all that thing is now is a problem.

The component you're asking for – petite footprint, ample connections, latest technology, 1965 price – doesn't exist.

And much more important than a snazzy wood finish is proper ventilation for these increasingly complex processors. As noted above. You know, so the house doesn't burn down.

Uhhh, what else? Oh yeah...

Home Decor is the enemy of good audio.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page