Which receivers havd HDMI ports always on and which switch them off when not in use??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-19-2013, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hopefully someone can help me with my very specific issue.

I have an old Yamaha receiver with HDMI. My computer's graphic card is hooked up to my Sony 60" HDTV through the Yamaha. I have it set up as the primary monitor. I also have my computer hooked up to the computer monitor as the secondary. It works perfectly, when I want to play a game on the HDTV I select the computer and the computer (and sound) come through the receiver to the HDTV as the primary monitor. When I select any other input on the Yamaha it turns off the HDTV input so my computer senses that the HDTV is not longer connected and then defaults everything to the computer monitor (and computer speakers). Very easy and elegant solution.

I want to upgrade my receiver. So I bought an Onkyo TX-NR809, and hooked everything up. One problem, for some reason even when I switch to Cable box or some other input it keeps all the other HDMI inputs 'on'. So my computer still thinks that I am outputting to the HDTV. It seems that this is the way it is made. (Why I do not know?). So I returned the unit as it is useless to me.

So what I want to know is what brands turn the HDMI inputs that are not being used off and what ones keep them on all the time. I am looking at other receivers like the Denon 3313CI, but can not find anything on which vendors do what on this issue.

Any help would be appreciated. I can't just keep buying and returning receivers!!!

Thanks,

John Connor

http://www.wjla.org -> monitor WJLA's conversion to 720p, sign up today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-19-2013, 06:14 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 1419
The HDMI inputs are always on (most likely on all AVRs, but definitely on the Denon models). HDMI-CEC might work but there is no guarantee as it would just depend on how the components interacted with each other.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 6 Old 03-20-2013, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I don't think your going to find any AV receivers today that "disconnects" HDMI inputs that aren't currently selected.

I think if you want a new AV receiver you're going to be forced to use enable and disable the second display manually. In modern versions of Windows this is pretty easy, just press Win + P.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-20-2013, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
A simple answer: None.
There is no sense in powering down HDMI ports.
Every other problem is a matter of setup.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-20-2013, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, ok, thanks for the info even though that makes no sense to me. The trouble is that full screen games default to the default screen, so the Win+P will not work. This sucks...

http://www.wjla.org -> monitor WJLA's conversion to 720p, sign up today!
post #6 of 6 Old 03-20-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Use Win + P so that your game appears duplicated on both screens or only on your TV. You can't really use the other screen while playing a full screen game so losing it isn't really much of drawback.

You might also be able to switch the connections on your video card around so that Windows thinks your computer monitor is the "projector" and your TV is the "computer". That will make the default screen the TV when you have both enabled.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page