please recommend my first ever surround sound system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-19-2013, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As it says on the title. Ive never owned a surround sound system and am looking for help. I have a budget of $500 and would like a 5.1 system or if possible 7.1 receiver and i can add 2 floor speakers in the future if i need them. Ive looked at the energy take classic 5.1 which are on sale right now on amazon for 300. would these be a good set and if so what receiver should i pair them up with. Thank you so much for all the help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-19-2013, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

sorry a few more details. I have an lg lm7600 led tv which only has the digital audio out. Would i need to run the audio from digital audio out or will hdmi be sufficient? I would like to also run my htpc and ps3 and xbox on them. Thank you
post #3 of 10 Old 03-19-2013, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
As long as all of your devices have HDMI outputs, you'll want to run them all into the receiver, then to the TV. You'll only need the optical output from the TV to the receiver if you use the TV's apps and cannot get audio back to the receiver via ARC (i.e., going the other way over the HDMI cable).

I've never heard them but that Take Classic system is very popular.

For your receiver selection, the good news is that the new 2013 models (at least Denon's and Yamaha's) are being released and that means that you can get 2012 models at a discount.

Newegg has the 2012 base-level Yamaha right now for $177 with free shipping: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115373

You might just be able to come in under $500. Oh and get your HDMI and speaker cables from Monoprice.com--no need to pay more. I have your same LG TV and HDMI ARC is problematic with my Yamaha receiver, so if you have $10 to spare I'd order an optical audio TOSLINK cable while you're at it.

post #4 of 10 Old 03-19-2013, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

hey thanks for the reply. i saw your setup and was wondering what speakers u were using. Also i live in a similar type of space as you (apartment, not in nyc but in dc smile.gif) do you get sound complaints from the neighbors? how loud can you crank those up? thanks alot man.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-19-2013, 10:30 PM
Advanced Member

I have PSB Image B6 bookshelf L and R, and the C5 center. Together they're about $950, but PSB also makes a line called the Alpha that's less money. Not as inexpensive as the Energy kit though. I have no sub and no surrounds hooked up right now. My building is older and it's masonry--it doesn't transmit sound very well so I've never had a noise complaint. But depending on your neighbors and your building, your mileage may vary.

post #6 of 10 Old 03-19-2013, 10:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 886
I agree that the 373 at Newegg is the best deal right now for an avr.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #7 of 10 Old 03-21-2013, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

hey thanks for the replies man. I looked at the yamaha and i might go that route. I also checked the pioneer 1022 just in case in the future i would like to do 7.1. My speaker selection now also includes the martlin logan mlt 2 any thoughts on these? thanks
post #8 of 10 Old 03-21-2013, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

I don't know enough about the MLs or the Energys to comment. Ask in the speaker forum.

post #9 of 10 Old 03-21-2013, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

thanks man. Another question if you dont mind. im looking at the pioneer 1022 aside from the Yamaha 373. Do you have any thoughts on that receiver? Ive been reading mixed reviews on it. Its a hundred dollars more but you get the 7.1 and network
post #10 of 10 Old 03-21-2013, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry, no knowledge of that Pioneer either. But I'm sure there's a thread dedicated to it. Find it and poke around and I'm sure you'll discover its pros and cons.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page