Looking for a new receiver... better to buy new or used? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-19-2013, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I recently upgraded my home theater speakers and the next item to upgrade will be my receiver. I am currently using a Marantz 8200 (which I love) but being 10 years old I feel I am really missing out on a lot of the newer technology (HDMI, Audyssey or it's equivalent, etc).

My budget is $700 firm to replace the old 8200 and I am looking for some advice on whether it is better to buy new or buy a higher model that is a couple years old. I am really in no rush to buy right now, so if you have used suggestions I can/would take my time finding the deal.

So if you had $700 to spend, would you aim for something new like the Onkyo 818 (which I know can be had for $750 right now and should be available for around $700 soon) or a Pioneer Elite on closeout OR would you aim for something that was much more expensive but is now a few years old. Honestly I am not sure what the $700 price point would get you right now. I know like a used Marantz 7005 is about $850 right now, so that's too much, but you get the idea.

Please offer suggestions (especially for used models you think would be a great bang for the buck as I am not sure what's out there).

My current setup runs Mirage OM-5's, a OM-C2 center, 2 OM-R2 surrounds, and a 12" earthquake sub.

Thanks for reading!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-19-2013, 08:52 PM

Liked: 10
I really believe a "leftover" from last year is the way to go. Unless your hungup on 4k or some other future proofing element, why not save a few bucks or use your bucks to buy better quality?

In your price range there are a LOT of options, A LOT! Being a H&K fan I would reccomend the Harman Kardon AVR3600 (buy it factory direct through e-bay). That's what I use to drive my 7.1 theater and for the money I dont think you can find a better AVR. (I returned a $1000+ Pioneer Elite after comparing the two side by side).

Its just my 2c.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-20-2013, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. I have not really looked into H&K's before but I'll check them out. I am not thinking the 3600 is powerful enough though as it is only 85w per channel and my mains are suggested 100 - 200.

post #4 of 8 Old 03-20-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiggers View Post

I recently upgraded my home theater speakers and the next item to upgrade will be my receiver. I am currently using a Marantz 8200 (which I love) but being 10 years old I feel I am really missing out on a lot of the newer technology (HDMI, Audyssey or it's equivalent, etc).

My budget is $700 firm to replace the old 8200 and I am looking for some advice on whether it is better to buy new or buy a higher model that is a couple years old. I am really in no rush to buy right now, so if you have used suggestions I can/would take my time finding the deal.

So if you had $700 to spend, would you aim for something new like the Onkyo 818 (which I know can be had for $750 right now and should be available for around $700 soon) or a Pioneer Elite on closeout OR would you aim for something that was much more expensive but is now a few years old. Honestly I am not sure what the $700 price point would get you right now. I know like a used Marantz 7005 is about $850 right now, so that's too much, but you get the idea.

Please offer suggestions (especially for used models you think would be a great bang for the buck as I am not sure what's out there).

My current setup runs Mirage OM-5's, a OM-C2 center, 2 OM-R2 surrounds, and a 12" earthquake sub.

Marantz SR7005: "Auto Calibration by MIC Audyssey MultEQ XT"

Onkyo 818 "Auto Speaker Calibration W/Mic. Audyssey MultiEQ XT32"

I suspect that virtually all of the people around here who have tuned their system with Audyssey would vastly prefer Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 over Audyssey MultiEQXT

Please check the Audyssey thread for the reasons why.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-20-2013, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

While I agree 100% with that I guess my question is whether or not that updated tech outweighs what I would assume is a better amp and build quality that goes into a flagship model like the 7005.

I guess that is what I am looking for opinions on.

post #6 of 8 Old 03-20-2013, 07:26 AM

You already picked the Onkyo 818, perhaps solely on price, why not use its features as a reference for comparison to other brands?

However, I'd have a different approach, starting with exactly what your needs are, e.g. how many HDMI sources you need to switch, any potential HDMI problems if you have a STB, HTPC ...

Then, based on your needs that can be satisfied by the features offered by different brands, pick the one you prefer. Cost does have something to do with it, but at $700 limit, it is not that bad a starting point. If when you find the one you like, what's another $50 extra, 2 lunches or a dinner smile.gif, relative to the investment you said you only change every 10 years?

Last year model clearance if you can get it is always a good buy, as technology evolves not by leaps and bounds anyway.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-21-2013, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

You bring up a valid point. Please don't think I am set on the Onkyo either... I just kept mentioning it as it seems like the best bang for the buck new receiver that I have read about.

So with that in mind I feel like the following are musts.

4 HDMI in
1 HDMI out
At LEAST 100 w/ channel
Minimum 7.1
GUI interface that will show volume on TV (wife insists)
Some type of self tuning setup (Audyssey, the Pioneer one, etc.)... coming from having nothing ANYTHING would be an improvement, but I guess better is better
A GOOD video upscaling processor
Something that is good build quality

Anything else is just bonus... I don't need multiroom, I don't need 4k passthrough, I don't need 12v triggers at this point in time.

I've always been a Denon/Marantz guy in the past, but I am willing to listen to others.

SO.... based on the above with a $700 budget, any suggestions? (My guess is I could find something a year or two old that fit all the above, BUT it may not have the most advanced video processing and/or self tuning setup)

I'm open to ideas and thanks for all of the replies so far.

post #8 of 8 Old 03-21-2013, 10:16 AM

Others can vouch for their own brands, as I owned a Denon AVR-3300 back then (in the box now), tested out the Denon 1713, Marantz nr 1603 before settled for the sr5007, which I'd say a good candidate:

4 HDMI in => 6 HDMI in, including 1 front
1 HDMI out (checked)
At LEAST 100 w/ channel (checked)
Minimum 7.1 ==> 7.2
GUI interface that will show volume on TV (wife insists) ==> Checked, but is it from your TV screen that shows the Volume bar?
Some type of self tuning setup (Audyssey, the Pioneer one, etc.)... coming from having nothing ANYTHING would be an improvement, but I guess better is better =>Audyssey MultEQ XT
A GOOD video upscaling processor ==> advertized as Good, how you define may be different?
Something that is good build quality ==> seems good quality buid to me

Bonuses you may not need, but may "grow" into later: 3D pass through, 7.2 pre-outs, USB/iPod front (funny, wife insists), internet radio (I actually love it)...

The Marantz sr5007 has its own "clone" Denon cousin if you look hard enough on this forum, which is better bang for the buck. That said, if you call or show up at a Marantz dealer, you may get what you want for that $700, $750 budget. It was an advice on this forum when I pressed a dealer for a lower price, and was surprised when the sales guy asked me back:"how much you want to buy this one for". The worst it could happen is No, but it was the "best" to me, as I regretted not asking for even a little lower smile.gif)!

Sorry I don't change receivers that many over the years, thus have no experence on other brands. Thanks to BB and Future Shop generosity, I was able to evaluate a few Denons and Marantz at home before decided on this one.

Have fun smile.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page