I am going nuts with resolutions setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-21-2013, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys
I own an Onkyo 3010 receiver outputting 2 displays, Panasonic P55VT50 plasma and Sony VPL-HW50ES projector. Because of using the Onkyo's 2 HDMI outs, the resolution is automatically set to Auto (that means it converts video at resolutions supported by my TV and PJ, so I guess 1080p).

I have connected the following devices to the Onkyo

- Sat TV: set up to output 1080i
- Cable TV: set up to output 1080i
- Oppo 103 BR: I am not sure how it is set up now, but I will change it to Source Direct (via its HMDI 2 out to avoid image processing)

My goal is to get the best picture possible, and given the fact that I need to live with the Onkyo set on auto resolution, are the above settings correct? (or it will be better to set the Sat TV and Cable TV to auto?)

What about the Panasonic and Sony projector?, should I change anything there?

Thanks so much for your help guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-21-2013, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Can someone help?
Thanks a ton guys
post #3 of 7 Old 03-21-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablofu View Post

Hi guys
I own an Onkyo 3010 receiver outputting 2 displays, Panasonic P55VT50 plasma and Sony VPL-HW50ES projector. Because of using the Onkyo's 2 HDMI outs, the resolution is automatically set to Auto (that means it converts video at resolutions supported by my TV and PJ, so I guess 1080p).
I don't understand. I had an Onkyo 3008 until recently, and I used both HDMI outputs, but I don't recall this being an issue. I can see how the Onkyo might not be able to convert different resolutions simultaneously for its two outputs, but you probably wouldn't be using both projector and TV simultaneously, anyway, so why would it matter?

You have 3 devices which could potentially upscale to 1080p, input device, Onkyo, output device, so if you have a choice about which device will do the upscaling, I guess the only relevant quality issues are (1) avoiding multiple scaling, and (2) which device does the best upscaling. For (2), at least, I doubt there is going to be any a priori way of figuring that out. Just try different settings, look at the picture, and pick the best one.

Greg Lee
post #4 of 7 Old 03-21-2013, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

You are right about the fact that I won't display both at the same time, but I don't want to move cables all the time.
So, I will let the Onkyo do the work, question remaining is whether set up the satelite and cable in auto or leave it in 1080i. Thanks
post #5 of 7 Old 03-21-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Different cable boxes handle the scaling differently, and upscaling in cable boxes often is not the best. Check to see if yours have an "original resolution" setting so you can avoid upscaling SD resolution signals to HD in the cable boxes. Alternatively, setting them to a fixed 1080i is a reasonable compromise, if only because that will let the display devices do the upscaling to 1080p for HD channels.

Many people have encountered problems when sending high bitrate signals through a long HDMI cable, like to a projector. As a result, you should minimize the bitrate by making sure that "deep color" is disabled in your Oppo Blu-ray player. No video source material available to consumers has more than 8 bits/color channel, so enabling "deep color" increases the bitrate unnecessarily.

Selden
post #6 of 7 Old 03-21-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

"No video source material available to consumers has more than 8 bits/color channel, so enabling "deep color" increases the bitrate unnecessarily..."

Incorrect...
Certain cameras have 10 bit video output...

Regarding video streams from satellite tuners, Blu-ray players than yes..
8 bit is the common standard...

Just my $0.02... 👍😉
post #7 of 7 Old 03-21-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Thanks for the correction!

Of course, actually viewing all 10 bits can be problematic, considering how few displays support more than 8 bits. My understanding is that the vast majority of LCD TVs only show 6 bits of color resolution frown.gif

Selden
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page