Pioneer Elite or Sony ES? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 03-23-2013, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My deepest appoligies for yet another "help me choose" thread, but I need best opinions or advice. Sorry for the length, but rather too much then not enough info.

When my mits rear projection died, I upgraded to a Samsung 3D Smart tv, so retired my Sony STR-DB930 and picked up a Sony STR-DN1010 for HDMI switching and 3D passthrough. It has served my purpose and gotten me by, but now I am ready to update the receiver to something more fitting my home theater. The 1010 just has not delivered the quality sound I was accustomed to with the 930, not as rich and what I perceive as a tinier sound.

I currently run a 5.1 speaker set-up (but may add 2 front high speakers at some point) and the vast majority of use for movies and tv (DirecTV). Some occasional music, but we "older folk" don't crank it up quite as high (well, the wife does when she wants to really get into Celine or Yanni...LOL). I have never gotten into the additional zones, but have a nice opportunity with the right receiver.

Being somewhat of a Sony fan, I am looking hard at the STR-DA2800ES (or possibly the 1800ES) It looks to have some very nice features, good power, and hits toward the upper end of my price range. But then the Pioneer Elite line caught my eye and I must say, looks very good to me. I am leaning toward the SC-65, but would consider the 63 or even the 61 if the price of the 65 never drops a little. I have researched here (not a lot of info on the Sony) and have read about going to the store with a cd and dvd and listening to them and buy what sounds good to me, but unfortunately, that does not seem to be an option. The only two high end dealers I can locate within a hundred miles both said they pretty much only handle/sell the integra line. Can't say I am much of an Onkyo fan, researched what I could on the Integra (not very much out there), and feel more comfortable staying with the Sony or Pioneer. Wifi is not that important as I am lookiing to run ethernet to unit with switch to add other components (I think the Sony 2800 has switch built in)

My current equipment:

Speakers: All Paradigm (Fronts-Monitor 7v3, Center-CC170 v3, Surrounds-ADP170 v3, Sub-PDR10)
TV: Samsung UN55D8000
Samsung BluRay player
DirecTv DVR HR21 (hopefully soon upgraded to HR34
RCA VCR (believe it or not)
Wii
Harmony One remote
Ipad (sounds like all potential receivers have apps for using the Ipad with receiver)

Besides wanting the best sound, really need the receiver to "play nice" with DirecTv and the Harmony remote.

So if you can, help the old guy out in deciding, even if it means waiting for the new models to come out. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-23-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 78
SC-65.

I bought the non-Elite version of this, SC-1522-K, a few weeks ago, and I like it. A short time ago someone posted here about a surprisingly low price at Costco for the 1522, but I paid $1k from Amazon. A strong point is driving 4 and 6 ohm speakers. One reservation if you watch 3D from DirecTV -- I had to do some fiddling to get my Samsung TV to go into the right 3D mode when the signal was routed through the 1522. (I use the DirecTV remote -- not Harmony.)

I've never had a Sony receiver. I did have an Onkyo that I was not real happy with. I've had several other Pioneers. I use Axiom speakers, which rumor has it are similar to Paradigms.

Greg Lee
post #3 of 17 Old 03-23-2013, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello. I've never had Sony recievers, but I have owned four Pioneer recievers, with three of those being Elite's. I highly recommend the Pioneer Elite. For music, they have a nice warm sound, as do Denons from what I hear. Not tinny like the Onkyos which I currently have in my home theater, and 875 by the way. About 10 days ago, I picked up a Pioneer VSX-53 on sale/clearance at Magnolia in selected Best Buy stores. It was the model just before the current Pioneer Elite SC-61. I have the VSX-53 in my livingroom and it's great. Currently they are $499.98 at Magnolia. Original price was $900.00 They are going pretty quick though, so you may have to search or call around. Maybe they also can ship one to you if none are close by.

http://magnoliaav.com/Products/AUDIO/AV-Receivers/Pioneer-Elite-Elite-770W-7-1-Channel-3D-Pass-Throu

A post I made compairing a few features of the SC-61 to the VSX-53 can be found here http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=216384

And a post here at AVS is asking about the Pioneer SC-1522 which is the non Elite version of the Elite SC-65 http://www.avsforum.com/t/1464675/pioneer-sc1522-at-costco
post #4 of 17 Old 03-23-2013, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari fan View Post

Currently they are $499.98 at Magnolia. Original price was $900.00 They are going pretty quick though, so you may have to search or call around. Maybe they also can ship one to you if none are close by.

http://magnoliaav.com/Products/AUDIO/AV-Receivers/Pioneer-Elite-Elite-770W-7-1-Channel-3D-Pass-Throu

And a post here at AVS is asking about the Pioneer SC-1522 which is the non Elite version of the Elite SC-65 http://www.avsforum.com/t/1464675/pioneer-sc1522-at-costco

Congrats on snaring one of the VSX-53's Farrari. This should make you feel even better -they were originally $1100 and reduced to $900 when the SC-61 came out. Take a look at this link with Pioneers suggested msrp. At $499.98, the VSX-53 is a spectacular deal!

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/VSX-53

The SC-1522 at Costco isn't too shabby either. If the OP can find either, I would say that would be the end of his search.

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
post #5 of 17 Old 03-24-2013, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses/ssuggestions. Looked at the sc-1522K and looks like virtually identical to the sc-65 with same suggested retail price. Sales prices hard to compare since few, if any, authorized dealers are listing it on the web. I did read through Ferari's link comparing the "benefits" of paying extra for the Elites, and gotta believe there must be something going on more then 1 more year warranty. As my head starts spinning even more, I long for the days when choosing between brands was the main decision. Now the research begins after selecting a brand.

BTW, didn't realize Newegg was an authorized online dealer for Pioneer. Gonna have to monitor it more closely. Thx!

So are there any Sony fans around? Was really hoping to get some input on the STR-DA2800ES. Idealy if somebody had experience with it and the Elites.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-24-2013, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 35

Just pick up 1 last night at Costco.
post #7 of 17 Old 03-24-2013, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Best Buy web site today shows Elites on sale. SC-65 for $999 in store only. Problem is, I can't find a store anywhere that has any of the Elite models available. Anybody know if Best Buy runs the ads before they have them in stock or is it just a cruel joke?
post #8 of 17 Old 03-24-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 35
1522 and the elite sc65 is one the same with different faceplates. if you really want an elite, i would get the sc67
post #9 of 17 Old 03-24-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderNDirt View Post

Best Buy web site today shows Elites on sale. SC-65 for $999 in store only. Problem is, I can't find a store anywhere that has any of the Elite models available. Anybody know if Best Buy runs the ads before they have them in stock or is it just a cruel joke?

You have to find a Best Buy with a Magnolia store in it.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #10 of 17 Old 03-24-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 601
I wonder if I can still return my SC1222 so I can go get the SC1522 at Costco? But I'm not sure if all the Costco have them?

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #11 of 17 Old 03-24-2013, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

You have to find a Best Buy with a Magnolia store in it.[/quo

Dang it sucks living in the middle of nowhere! 100 miles to the nearest Best Buy and no Magnolia stores in the state! Closest one is over 6 hours away. Guess I will make some phone calls and see if they ship.

Edit: Same problem with the Costco option. Not currently a member and 100+ miles from the nearest one. But if I can swing the BB deal, going that route.

Thanks all for the info/help/advice.
post #12 of 17 Old 03-25-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by datranz View Post

Just pick up 1 last night at Costco.

My local CostCo doesn't carry this one either. Which Costco did you buy it at?

Home Theater Set Up:

post #13 of 17 Old 03-25-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I have found several SC-1555-K in another CostCo, which is approximately 1 hours away. I am off Wed / Thur. so I am hoping they will still have some when I get there. I already started the RMA process with Newegg to return my SC-1222-K. The SC-1522-K has 12V triggers, which is something I was looking for in an AVR.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #14 of 17 Old 03-25-2013, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

An update if anybody cares:

After several calls to some Magnolia Best Buys and my nearest "local" Best Buy, I may have the ball rolling on getting my SC-65. It has been an adventure, but supposedly the order is in and it should arrive at my "local" Best Buy in a week or two. Still skeptical that something will kill the deal (out of stock or something), but really looking forward to getting it. Now I better go read up on the receiver specific thread.
post #15 of 17 Old 03-25-2013, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Not 1 opinion on Sony huh?? I've been considering the 5800es but they're very hard to find. It seems that Sony's marketing plan of not selling online is backfiring. They're current lineup seems like they can hold they're own with anything out there. The review on hometheatre.Com is stellar.
post #16 of 17 Old 03-25-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbpete View Post

Not 1 opinion on Sony huh?? I've been considering the 5800es but they're very hard to find. It seems that Sony's marketing plan of not selling online is backfiring. They're current lineup seems like they can hold they're own with anything out there. The review on hometheatre.Com is stellar.

I've own numerous ES products, all separates, and I found them to be exceptional performers often punching well out of their price range.
post #17 of 17 Old 03-26-2013, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

I have always been fond of Sony equipment and was looking closely at the STR-DA2800ES ccompared to the Pioneer SC-61. Given the lack of input on Sony's and the deal on the SC-65 at the same price as the 2800ES, it was a no brainer to jump on the Pioneer deal.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Samsung Un55d8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver 2011 Model , Pioneer Elite Sc 61 7 2 Channel Network Ready Av Receiver , Pioneer Elite Vsx 53 Av Network Receiver 7 1 Channel 3d , Pioneer Sc 1522k 9 2 Channel Av Receiver , Pioneer Elite Sc 65 9 2 Channel Thx Select 2 Plus A V Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page