New amp for ascend acoustics cbm-170 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-23-2013, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys so i currently have my cbm-170 set up with a yamaha htr-5560 receiver. its an old reciever that my father gave me so im planning on upgrading. i want to spend about $1000 on a hifi receiver. i've been looking at the marantz pm8004. But i've read this may not even be worth it since my speakers cost much less. so does anyone have any advice on this or any suggestions on amps?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-23-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 509
You don't need $1000 to get decent 2-channel sound. If I were you I would get a new AVR and spend the rest on a nice subwoofer. Or, just get a nice subwoofer. wink.gif If you're set on 2-channel only I would take a look at the Harman Kardon 3490 or the Outlaw RR2150 (much more expensive at $699). The Outlaw has bass management, USB DAC, phono input, and 100W per channel.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #3 of 8 Old 03-23-2013, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the advice. I only want to have a 2 speaker setup and i've heard alot about the Harman Kardon 3490 so i'm leaning towards that right now. also could you explain a bit more on bass management and the importance of it? (sorry im a bit of a newb when it comes to hifi)
post #4 of 8 Old 03-23-2013, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Bass management is important if you're not using full-range speakers (and most people aren't these days). Full range is considered to be 20 Hz-20 kHz. If you're using book shelf speakers with a frequency range of say 50 or 60 Hz it makes sense to employ a crossover so that only frequencies of 80 Hz or so are sent to them and the lower frequencies 80 Hz and below are sent to the subwoofer (if you're using one). This prevents the amplifier from having to work too hard and the sound from your speakers will be cleaner as you are not asking them to play low frequencies they are not capable of handling cleanly or at all. You can do this most easily with a receiver that has built-in crossover capability such as the RR2150 or in the digital domain with something like Audyssey installed on many current AVRs. A technically savvy user could also wire in a crossover between the speakers and the amplifier.

post #5 of 8 Old 03-23-2013, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

That makes a lot of sense, thanks.If the subwoofer has the option to set the crossover frequency then there would be no need for the bass management in the receiver, right? Btw im planning on getting the hk 3490 and with the money i save, get the hsu stf-2. thats why im asking
post #6 of 8 Old 03-23-2013, 06:25 PM

Liked: 13
Having bass management also makes it easier to to blend the sub and speakers together. The 3490 is a very simple 2 channel receiver and looks sexy too but I sold mine just because I felt limited with the lack of bass management. And the other advantage of going AVR is audyssey. It makes it even easier to setup your system. Not trying to knock the 3490 but just make sure you dont need any of the features that an AVR offers before you get the 3490. I would go back to the 3490 only if I went with full range towers because I dont have the tools, knowledge, or patience to setup a sub. But if you know how to integrate a sub into your system then the 3490 will be great. Anyway, just some food for thought smile.gif

post #7 of 8 Old 03-23-2013, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Reading about it, bass management does seem like something i will need in the future. i might go for the outlaw and then save up for the hsu for a later date.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-23-2013, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaudiotech View Post

Reading about it, bass management does seem like something i will need in the future. i might go for the outlaw and then save up for the hsu for a later date.

I think that's a reasonable decision. I also wouldn't rule out a new AVR as it has bass management and built-in DACs as well. The Outlaw is a very nice receiver though.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ascend Acoustics Cbm 170 Se

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page