Looking for the right A/V Receiver - AVS Forum
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Looking for the right A/V Receiver
upod21's Avatar upod21 07:35 PM 03-23-2013
I'm a novice when it comes to A/V receivers, yet after reading reviews and posts about all the different ones available I've become more lost than when I originally started out. From reading all the threads I'm seeing the most popular manufactures are Danon, Yamaha, and Onkyo for A/V receivers, so naturally that's where the research started. I started leaning towards Danon, however I noticed that some people have had problems with customer service when the receivers started to fail, and how they use 3rd party parts for repairs. With Yamaha and Onkyo I've noticed that some people had failures of the HDMI boards within a year of purchase, and other issues. What should I do?

I'm looking for a receiver that will be used mostly for movies and gaming while staying under $600.

Please understand I'm not trying to insult anyones favorite brand from my findings.

bladerunner6's Avatar bladerunner6 07:39 PM 03-23-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by upod21 View Post

I'm a novice when it comes to A/V receivers, yet after reading reviews and posts about all the different ones available I've become more lost than when I originally started out. From reading all the threads I'm seeing the most popular manufactures are Danon, Yamaha, and Onkyo for A/V receivers, so naturally that's where the research started. I started leaning towards Danon, however I noticed that some people have had problems with customer service when the receivers started to fail, and how they use 3rd party parts for repairs. With Yamaha and Onkyo I've noticed that some people had failures of the HDMI boards within a year of purchase, and other issues. What should I do?

I'm looking for a receiver that will be used mostly for movies and gaming while staying under $600.

Please understand I'm not trying to insult anyones favorite brand from my findings.

Any idea about what sort of features you want such as how many channels, how many HDMI inputs, ipod friendly, room correction, etc?

That would help.

Thanks.
jevans64's Avatar jevans64 08:00 PM 03-23-2013
Every AVR under $600 is most-likely 100% Chinese and IS going to have issues with quality. A refurbished unit might be a decent choice in this price range since any defects would have been fixed. You'll get it at a steep discount and an extended warranty might set you back another $50 or so for an additional five years of coverage. Take a look at Accessories4less.

An Onkyo TX-NR709 will set you back $500 with 5-year warranty, 809 is $100 more and 818 is $200 more. Anything above the 709 will have amplifier pre-out which would allow you to add external amps if you find you need more power. The amp section and video conversion is generally better than similarly-priced Denon gear. I think the Onkyo HDMI issues were caused by excessive heat. They DO run " hotter " than the Denon AVR's since they have bigger power supplies. Most Onkyo owners are buying $20 cooling fans to help with that. I like Denon gear but they are cutting A LOT of corners in their low and mid end AVR's.
upod21's Avatar upod21 08:03 PM 03-23-2013
I'm not sure if a 5.1, 7.1, or 7.2 would be good for me. It does need a minimum of 5 HDMI inputs for all the other equipment that is bring used. ipod friendly would be nice, but airplay would be better. It needs to work with my Logitech harmony one remote, so the A/V remotes that are supplied with the unit are not a huge issue for me. I did like the fact that Denon has Audyssey, which everyone seams to like. I don't need multi room video.
jevans64's Avatar jevans64 08:28 PM 03-23-2013
Quote:

I'm not sure if a 5.1, 7.1, or 7.2 would be good for me. It does need a minimum of 5 HDMI inputs for all the other equipment that is bring used. ipod friendly would be nice, but airplay would be better. It needs to work with my Logitech harmony one remote, so the A/V remotes that are supplied with the unit are not a huge issue for me. I did like the fact that Denon has Audyssey, which everyone seams to like. I don't need multi room video.

Onkyo licenses Audyssey as well. You'll generally get a one-tier step-up in Audyeesy with Onkyo as well. Watch out for the 709/717 though as Onkyo stepped down to 2EQ for the 717. You'll need the $200 Onkyo dock to do AirPlay with Onkyo AVRs. As far as Denon I'd only shoot for AVR-3312/13 and up. The AVR-3312ci is $600 at A4L. A4L has refurbished AVR-4520ci for $1700.

If you are Linux-savvy you can get a Raspberry Pi ( mini computer ) for $50 with a small box to put it in and turn it into an AirPlay device which will stream video as well as audio. I'd still go with a wired Ethernet over wireless at any rate.

The main thing with having AirPlay built into the receivers is to be able to control your iDevices from the receiver.
upod21's Avatar upod21 08:35 PM 03-23-2013
Thanks jevans64 for the info!! I wish I could get the AVR-4520ci, but if I spent that much the wife would make me use it as a pillow:D
jevans64's Avatar jevans64 09:16 PM 03-23-2013
Quote:

Thanks jevans64 for the info!! I wish I could get the AVR-4520ci, but if I spent that much the wife would make me use it as a pillow:D

Either that or a suppository I suppose. There is always the 3312/13ci, which is within your range. Only thing it doesn't have is amplifier pre-outs and that kills the longevity. I bought the Denon AVR-5308ci thinking that I would never use that much power and would never have more than 7 speakers. Well. I've added a 2000 watt amp and I'm running 11 speakers.

Whether you go with 5,7,9, or 11 speakers depends on the size of your room and where your seating is located. Rooms under 12 x 12 are generally fine with a 5.x setup. A seven speaker setup generally requires two or three feet of clearance behind your seating for rear surround speakers. 90% of the movies are still in 5.1 so a good 5.x setup is still the way to go. I probably have about 20 movies that are in 7.1 lossless and only ONE movie that does DTS Neo-X 11.1.

Main thing is to arrange your TV and seating to allow equidistant speaker placement. There are tons of threads on speaker placement, so I won't go into that here but the main placement is Center = 0°, Left/Right = ±22-30°, L&R Surround = ±90-110°, L&R Back Surround = ±135°
upod21's Avatar upod21 12:48 PM 03-24-2013
I'm thinking about going with 3313ci. What is the expected longevity of this type of avr?
ceh383's Avatar ceh383 01:05 PM 03-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post

There is always the 3312/13ci, which is within your range. Only thing it doesn't have is amplifier pre-outs and that kills the longevity.

I don't know about the 3312, but, the 3313 does indeed have pre-outs so adding external amps is doable if desired.
As for the longevity of the 3313, I've had mine for a few months with zero issues at what so ever. Beyond that, only time will tell.

One thing to keep in mind no matter what brand/model you buy. MAKE SURE you buy from an authorized dealer, if you don't you may not have any warranty should you need it...
upod21's Avatar upod21 01:15 PM 03-24-2013
Has anyone ever had to use the extended warranty that is offered from Accessories4less?
ceh383's Avatar ceh383 01:36 PM 03-24-2013
Quote:

Has anyone ever had to use the extended warranty that is offered from Accessories4less?
I don't know the answer to that, but, Accessories4Less does seem to be an authorized dealer for refurbished Denon products...
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 01:37 PM 03-24-2013
Quote:

Every AVR under $600 is most-likely 100% Chinese and IS going to have issues with quality. A refurbished unit might be a decent choice in this price range since any defects would have been fixed.

Based on responses in the various threads on this forum, items produced in Japan are just as likely to have issues as are those mfr'd in China. The same applies to refurbished units ... likely to have the same % of defective units as would new units.
Quote:

Onkyo licenses Audyssey as well. You'll generally get a one-tier step-up in Audyeesy with Onkyo as well.

The main thing with having AirPlay built into the receivers is to be able to control your iDevices from the receiver.

1. Not true with the current models as Onkyo starts out all current models leading up to the 717 with the most basic version of Audyssey 2EQ which cannot EQ a subwoofer while Denon and Marantz models begin with Audyssey MultEQ which not only has 2x the speaker EQ control points than does 2EQ but can also EQ the subwoofer.

2. Note that Airplay can also be used by Android devices as well to stream audio to Airplay enabled AVRs.
Quote:

Either that or a suppository I suppose. There is always the 3312/13ci, which is within your range. Only thing it doesn't have is amplifier pre-outs and that kills the longevity.

The USA Denon 331XCI series all have a full set of pre-outs while Marantz models start out with a minimum of 2.1 pre-outs. However, as the vast majority of owners will never require external amplification, not having pre-outs will not "kill the longevity".
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 01:39 PM 03-24-2013
Quote:

Not likely as AC4L only changed over to this new provider within the past year or so as I recall, so anyone who has purchased it would still likely be under the original 1 year warranty provided by Denon. Also note that if you purchase with a credit card, your credit card issuer may add an additional FREE year making it 2 years (AMEX will for sure as will some MC/Visa as well).

Also, if you have not already done so, review post #2 in the Denon AVR-XX13 Owner's thread linked in my sig to see a comparison of the features offered in the various models from last year. Also the new lower level models for this year are also now available which you can review on Denon's website until we get a new thread put together for those models. The E300 and E400 would be inside your budget.
bladerunner6's Avatar bladerunner6 01:46 PM 03-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Not likely as AC4L only changed over to this new provider within the past year or so as I recall, so anyone who has purchased it would still likely be under the original 1 year warranty provided by Denon. Also note that if you purchase with a credit card, your credit card issuer may add an additional FREE year making it 2 years (AMEX will for sure as will some MC/Visa as well).

Also, if you have not already done so, review post #2 in the Denon AVR-XX13 Owner's thread linked in my sig to see a comparison of the features offered in the various models from last year. Also the new lower level models for this year are also now available which you can review on Denon's website until we get a new thread put together for those models. The E300 and E400 would be inside your budget.

Amex should cover for an extra year but I don't think MC/Visa cover refurbished products.

When I upgraded my Discover card recently I asked them and as long it is a manufacturer's warranty, they would extend the coverage even if it is a refurb.
jevans64's Avatar jevans64 10:09 PM 03-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh383 View Post

I don't know about the 3312, but, the 3313 does indeed have pre-outs so adding external amps is doable if desired.
As for the longevity of the 3313, I've had mine for a few months with zero issues at what so ever. Beyond that, only time will tell.

One thing to keep in mind no matter what brand/model you buy. MAKE SURE you buy from an authorized dealer, if you don't you may not have any warranty should you need it...

My mistake on the 3312ci/13ci. Those do come with a full set of pre-outs. It is the 2313ci that does not. A4L is an authorized dealer.

Quote:

I'm thinking about going with 3313ci. What is the expected longevity of this type of avr?

It is currently up-to-date on features including 4k video, 3D, and ARC. I suppose it should be good for 5 years if kept in a well-ventilated area. Audio is limited to 7.x, so no 9.x or 11.x. There are only two or three titles that support 11.x. Dolby Atmos ( ceiling placement of surround speakers ) will be the next big thing in audio but that is probably two, three years away from in-home application.
Quote:

As stated in another post, they switched recently. Not sure who they used before, but I'm sure it works the same as all 3rd party warranties, like Mack. You'll probably get some sort of contract papers with policy number on them and you'll go to New Leaf/Service Pro to register your AVR. I've used Mack before and I sent the defective stuff to Mack instead of back to the retailer I bought it from. Probably works the same but I'd ask A4L first as they might handle that for you.
Up
Mobile  Desktop