Receiver recommendations for 2.1 simulated surround w/ room to grow - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-25-2013, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

New to the forum. Been doing some searching and haven't quite found an answer. Due to space limitations and a desire to avoid cables for right now, I want to replace my Sony soundbar system with a better 2.1 system (I used to have a full high end 5.1 system when I owned a much larger house, but had to downsize). I am looking at 5.1+ capable receivers since I may move to that at a later date. 2.1 simulated surround is my priority.

My question is, can something like the Marantz NR1603 (I like its slim size) do 2.1 simulated surround? If not, are there any other receivers you would recommend? My other option is something like the Paradigm Millenia CT or similar, but it lacks connection options.

If the Marantz or similar receiver can do 2.1 simulated surround properly, any thoughts on quality speakers? Budget for speakers isn't very much right now. Maybe $200-250 per (MilleniaOne 2.0??) and 300-500 or so for sub.

I'm open to any brand receivers, but have read about HDMI issues with Onkyo models. Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, etc all seem okay.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-25-2013, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I think any modern 5.1 or 7.1 receiver will do what you want. All the receivers I've had in the last decade could handle 2.0 or 2.1 speaker sets -- you just tell the receiver during setup what speakers you actually have, and it will downmix or upmix from the channels in its input so as to match up with the speakers you have installed. Later, when you buy additional speakers, you can reconfigure the receiver.

For speakers, I'm a craigslist enthusiast. Just watch for speakers of a known quality brand, and make lowball offers for interesting looking speakers. You'll probably be happy, but if not, you won't have lost too much.

Greg Lee
post #3 of 6 Old 03-25-2013, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Great. Thank you for the input. Was wondering if I could get by with something like a Yamaha RX-V475.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-25-2013, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I've never had a Yamaha -- mostly Pioneer, for me. I glanced over the description of the RX-V475 on Amazon, and it looks okay, to me. Perhaps step down to the RX-V375 if you don't need network functions. I've heard that Yamaha has a good reputation for reliability.

Greg Lee
post #5 of 6 Old 03-25-2013, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Any recommendations for Pioneers? I haven't purchased one since the 90s. Would prefer to spend < $500 on the receiver. VSX-823-K looks interesting.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-25-2013, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhokie View Post

Any recommendations for Pioneers? I haven't purchased one since the 90s. Would prefer to spend < $500 on the receiver. VSX-823-K looks interesting.
I've had 3 VSX models and liked them all, but I don't have experience with recent ones. The VSX-823 does seem nice, or, as with Yamaha, if you don't need network features, there's a downstep model, the VSX-523. I have an SC-1522, which is $1k from Amazon, and possibly $600 from Costco. There are several discussions here about the SC-1222 for around $500 from Newegg.

Greg Lee
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page