Yamaha RX-V 75 Series owners thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1837 Old 08-05-2013, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have tried every combination of power cycle and standby. It's the ARC function that I wanted to use for TV audio output (i.e. netflix, pandora, etc) that will no longer work after a power cycle unless you go into the Yamaha receiver setup menu and switch HDMI Control off/on. I do have a toslink cable connected to get sound signal from the tv and broadcast out through home theater speakers. It just drives me nuts when things like ARC do not work as planned or anticipated. I think Panasonic has perhaps proprietorially designed into their ARC function the necessity of using another Panasonic unit to get it (ARC)to work correctly and if using another brand unit .....well with other brands you can use the optical cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1837 Old 08-05-2013, 04:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Could be. But I have read complaints about ARC from many people using many brands of many different devices.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #273 of 1837 Old 08-05-2013, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Forget ARC. Just use an optical cable. Save yourself the frustration.

LG TV, Yamaha receiver owner here. None of the brands seem to play well together.

post #274 of 1837 Old 08-05-2013, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Darn that's depressing...I had my room wired assuming I'd be using ARC. Too late for optical now:(
post #275 of 1837 Old 08-06-2013, 07:35 AM

Just when I was all set to pull the trigger on the Denon 2313ci I walked through coscto yesterday and they had the Yamaha TSR 6750, which I've read is the RX - V675 just packaged with the wifi adapter, for under 500. I've read through this thread as well as the one on Denon 2313 and still can't make up my mind. The Denon is about 100 bucks more. I'm going from a 7 year old Hamon Kardon 635 which crashed recently.

These two look similar from what I can see. A few differences
Denon Audessy set up (not sure if that matters) Is ypao ok?
Yamaha - MHL (not sure if that is a big deal)
Denon - 2nd HDMI output (could be handy sometime)
Yamaha - comes with wireless adapter, but I don't need it as I have a ethernet hardline

App control - according to itunes it looks like Yamaha's av controller app is better then Denon's and this may be a deal breaker because I plan on using the app a lot to control zone 2. Not sure if denon's app is good or not?

Can anyone give me a little advice? I've heard some say Denon's sound quality is slightly better than yamaha? FYI hooking up to Klipsch synergy III front, center, surround and klipsch 12 inch sub 5.1, and zone 2 klipsch outdoor speakers on patio.

thanks for any help
post #276 of 1837 Old 08-06-2013, 12:14 PM

Liked: 12
A lot of it is going to come down to taste. It's going to be like going from Vanilla to French Vanilla to Vanilla Bean. None of them are intrinsically better, just different. If the features are all there, then the biggest response you are probably going to receive is, try to listen to both and see which one you like better. Costco with their return policy (if it still is what i remember) then you should just be able to take it back if you don't like it. I would say do that.
post #277 of 1837 Old 08-06-2013, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Its unfair to compare the Yamaha 675 with the Denon 2313ci. The latter is an older model and has been replaced with the X series (X1000, X2000 etc).
In the Yamaha 675 class would be the Denon E400 and that model has MHL (I think), which you speak about. Is MHL a big deal? It is if you are going to use it and probably nice to have for future use.

Is YPAO OK? My Yamaha Receiver sounds great using its calibration. Many people prefer Audyssey calibration. You can read its virtues in this AMP section.

The Denon 2313 CI is also extensively reviewed on another thread and, by all accounts, is a great Receiver.

Personally I would go with newer model, for the price.

It would be great to buy from a store, with a return policy, and test both, in your environment.
post #278 of 1837 Old 08-08-2013, 02:08 PM

Liked: 11
anyone with experience with newegg open box deals? do they re-sell things with problems? or are they just lame returns? yamaha rx-a820 is on there for 349.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115393R
post #279 of 1837 Old 08-14-2013, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I recently purchased the yamaha v675 to use in my dedicated home theater 7.1 system. Yesterday I got a great deal on the BR Kung Fu Panda 2 for $9. This movie has 7.1 audio. This is my first 7.1 audio BR and I'm curious to know what does everyone choose as a sound program to listen to your movies in? Thanks for your advice.
post #280 of 1837 Old 08-14-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtprkr View Post

I recently purchased the yamaha v675 to use in my dedicated home theater 7.1 system. Yesterday I got a great deal on the BR Kung Fu Panda 2 for $9. This movie has 7.1 audio. This is my first 7.1 audio BR and I'm curious to know what does everyone choose as a sound program to listen to your movies in? Thanks for your advice.
I generally use Standard with my front heights. I have front heights and back surrounds connected so I can switch between them however I choose.

post #281 of 1837 Old 08-17-2013, 05:50 AM

Hi

I'm running a 5.1 system with the 675. My question is which I have a second zone. Which speaker terminals do I use for zone 2? The smaller connections up top labeled zone 2 (the ones that just push in) or can I use the 2 extra ones below since I'm not using 7.1 (the ones that screw tight like all other connections) and then what setting. The directions are a little vague here
post #282 of 1837 Old 08-17-2013, 09:57 AM

No use the small push in ones up top they're for zone two - otherwise you won't be able to control it separately in the other zone
post #283 of 1837 Old 08-18-2013, 05:59 AM

Does anyone know if it is possible in the settings under "Audio Output" to have "Amp" set to On, and at the same time have "HDMI OUT 2" set to On?

So the result would be that the speakers connected to the receiver wold be outputting sound and then the audio would also be going through to the TV connected to the HDMI 2 port.
post #284 of 1837 Old 08-18-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorhoward View Post

Does anyone know if it is possible in the settings under "Audio Output" to have "Amp" set to On, and at the same time have "HDMI OUT 2" set to On?

So the result would be that the speakers connected to the receiver wold be outputting sound and then the audio would also be going through to the TV connected to the HDMI 2 port.
Yes. You can listen to the speakers and tv at the same time if you want. Long ago I kinda used my tv as a center channel in that way.

post #285 of 1837 Old 08-20-2013, 05:46 PM

I just picked up the RX-V675($325.00) to replace my Sony STR-DG800. It was still working but the front panel would display only at random times. I am a audio novice for sure, but I really like the new receiver and have a lot to learn about the functions. I am using Bose 201 and 301 as my main speakers with a Bose center and an old Sony 12inch subwoofer. Speakers are my next purchase but those will have to wait and be fit in as the budget allows. I have tried the HDMI front using an MHL adapter to my HTC One and the picture looks very good, the same is true connecting my laptop. My question is the USB port. Does this only work with Apple products? It would not show anything from any of the various USB drives I have with JPEG files on them. Still waiting on my internet Cat6 cable from Monoprice so I can give Pandora a shot and see what else you can do with that feature. Also once the internet cable is hooked up will firmware updates come thru automatically? Thanks in advance for anyone who can answer these. Cheers!
post #286 of 1837 Old 08-20-2013, 06:19 PM
rgk

I just purchased a RX-V475 to replace an Onkyo TX-SR805 that stopped passing HDMI signals. So far, after two weeks, it is performing perfectly and is very quick to switch via HDMI. The sound quality is quite good, just a shade brighter than the Onkyo but the DSP modes are superior, expecially over the center channel.

Real good value at $399.

""The day may come when the courage of men will fail, but it will not be this day!"
post #287 of 1837 Old 08-20-2013, 06:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottonj View Post

I just picked up the RX-V675($325.00) to replace my Sony STR-DG800. It was still working but the front panel would display only at random times. I am a audio novice for sure, but I really like the new receiver and have a lot to learn about the functions. I am using Bose 201 and 301 as my main speakers with a Bose center and an old Sony 12inch subwoofer. Speakers are my next purchase but those will have to wait and be fit in as the budget allows. I have tried the HDMI front using an MHL adapter to my HTC One and the picture looks very good, the same is true connecting my laptop. My question is the USB port. Does this only work with Apple products? It would not show anything from any of the various USB drives I have with JPEG files on them. Still waiting on my internet Cat6 cable from Monoprice so I can give Pandora a shot and see what else you can do with that feature. Also once the internet cable is hooked up will firmware updates come thru automatically? Thanks in advance for anyone who can answer these. Cheers!
Not sure about the USB but the 675 will let you know that you have updates to download.
rottonj likes this.

post #288 of 1837 Old 08-21-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by rottonj View Post

... My question is the USB port. Does this only work with Apple products? It would not show anything from any of the various USB drives I have with JPEG files on them. Still waiting on my internet Cat6 cable from Monoprice so I can give Pandora a shot and see what else you can do with that feature. Also once the internet cable is hooked up will firmware updates come thru automatically?

It will play audio files from USB, but not pictures or video (and the drive needs to be formatted as FAT or FAT32).

As for firmware you don't really want automatic updates via the network. Updates sometimes bring new problems, and network updates sometimes fail and you have to resort to the USB update method to get the receiver working again. Usually you're better off not updating unless you have a specific issue that is addressed by an update.
rottonj likes this.
post #289 of 1837 Old 08-22-2013, 01:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Just purchased last years model, so forgive me for replying here. Really enjoying it so far, got it for a great price in canada to replace a broken network card on my denon 3311. Im very impressed with the clarity and detail of the sound. Audyessey xt was great for movie calibration but i always hated how it made music sound even set to flat. So far im very happy with it (cross fingers its only been a few hours).

My only complaint is i am using the network functions like crazy since my denon broke over a year ago and i lost all network function, such as the media server from the app to play music, but I have video output set to my hd pvr so i can watch tv while listening to music. My only issue is the gui keeps popping up whenever i select a new album or different band. Is their anyway I can just disable that music media server gui, i would much prefer bringing it up only when I wish, rather then when im watching tv and selecting a new band and it annoyingly pops up.
post #290 of 1837 Old 08-22-2013, 02:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I dont think thats possible. If you were not using the app you would need that gui to make a different selection. I guess thats something Yamaha just didnt consider.

post #291 of 1837 Old 08-22-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0MJ-0022-00013

Newegg is giving away a Polk PSW10 sub with purchase of any of the 5 series Yamaha receivers.

post #292 of 1837 Old 08-22-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

One other thing I noticed that is present I believe on every other avr app is a keyboard, especially for creating new pandora stations.

This is outside my realm I wonder if it would do any good to mention this to yamaha or if it would not be possible for them to add that.

I can nicely control everything from the app without having to look at the avr, but with no keyboard i cannot create a new pandora station without manually going to the avr and using the clunky remote to type a name in like I had to in 2005 on devices. Maybe i am getting greedy, but i have not tested an ios avr app without a keyboard.

First world problems i suppose.
post #293 of 1837 Old 08-22-2013, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Finally found the solution to getting ARC to function properly, even through power cycles, for APPS audio output from Panasonic TC-L58E60 via HDMI to Yamaha RX-V375. There are two different Panasonic Viera Link menus. One of these menus is in MENU which allows you to turn Viera Link on and set Power Link On/Off control. Not discussed in the owners manual is another Viera Link menu when you are on the APPS page that gives you the option of either outputting audio from Apps to either TV Speakers or Home Theater if you are using a Panasonic AV receiver or Panasonic Home Theater. I have found that the Viera Link menu in APPS is not necessarily Panasonic dependent as indicated by the owner manual, it also works with, in my case, Yamaha. So to get ARC to work consistently, even through power cycles, you need to go into Yamaha HDMI Control menu and set to on and set ARC to on, go into Panasonic MENU and set VIera Link to on, and on Panasonic APPS page go to Viera Link menu and set SPEAKERS to HOME THEATER and viola.............APP audio via ARC, even through power cycles. Now why couldn't Panasonic customer service or support suggest that a week ago?
post #294 of 1837 Old 08-23-2013, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Well other then the gui that I dont like, and lack of keyboard in the app I must say I am very impressed with it. I went from a yamaha 663 to denon 3311 to yamaha 773 (again apologize for posting but the other 773 thread is dead), i dont know why but the yamaha is just so clear. The denon was more boomy, but the detail and clearness of the yamaha is fantastic as well as speaker separation in the surrounds. I am not even sure why or what goes into an avr to help with this.

I also wish the blue tooth dongle was not so much, or it would come built in, i use apple but i always have someone visiting that has an android, i could get them to download dlna app but its easier if they want to pair using bluetooth and listen, but im having trouble finding the yamaha adapter for cheap. At least that will ship to canada.

Multipoint yapo i actually found pretty good, it set my backs to large but I may run it again, Audyssey xt once set my center to large. Distances were pretty spot on and bass crossover was also accurately set to 80. I also did not have to crank it way down to get it to run with yapo like I had to with audyssey xt, or else it would ruin the results and then you had to turn it back up manually if you wanted, but that seemed to defeat the purpose of the calibration to me. It also did not destroy music for me like audyssey did, many probably probably just use pure to get around it, but i like 7 channel stereo and i had to always manually select flat to get decent sound, but even as a sound and vision review of the x3000 pointed out, for multi channel music even flat sounded a bit muddy.

I am no expert but so far it sounds fantastic.

Just curious if you guys use flat or natural for your PEQ?
post #295 of 1837 Old 08-23-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I manually set all of the PEQ settings.

post #296 of 1837 Old 08-23-2013, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I manually set all of the PEQ settings.

I was thinking some people may do that.

I keep reading people complaining about ypao but i have great success. All these complaints seem to come from 1 point position and I can see why, to really benefit you must do all 8 if you have multi. I also learned alot reading the audyssey thread about how to properly do the calibration, tips like choose one area and then pick points within two feet around that area and do all 8 positions, make sure your sub is not to loud during the process, since we dont have an in depth ypao guide I wonder if a lot of the issues people have are simply doing the setup wrong.I seen someone on here a year ago say it was horrible but he ran 3 positions.

I dont know maybe my tastes are different but taking time and care into the calibration procedure seemed to give me very nice results.
post #297 of 1837 Old 08-24-2013, 03:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I wasnt complaining and am well aware of how to run YPAO properly. I simply prefer to eq the speakers myself after running YPAO.

post #298 of 1837 Old 08-25-2013, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Comment was not directed toward you in that way, only the first line was directed toward you, the rest was just a general comment from me as i read about user experiences with it complaining about it on here (in different threads) and other forums on the internet saying that it does not work and its garbage, I dont think you have ever said that, or if you did i am not aware.

The rest was just my commentary on ypao itself based on my experiences. Nothing wrong with doing it yourself and if i had more time and the needed equipment would also love to try to do it myself.
post #299 of 1837 Old 08-25-2013, 05:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Very well. Have a good one.

post #300 of 1837 Old 08-25-2013, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 1746
The main point of any avr correction software is to get the distance setting right. Everything else can be manually adjusted to users preferences. I for one do not like how ypao sets the levels. I prefere more of a V response with the Bass and Treble hotter than the Mid range.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
a/v receiver , component cables , hdmi , optical audio , Yamaha , Yamaha Rx V375 5 1 Channel Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V475 5 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V575 7 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V675 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V775wa 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - V375 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page