Yamaha RX-V 75 Series owners thread - Page 101 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 245Likes

post #3001 of 3216 Old 03-12-2016, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2315 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
If you are just trying to exercise your center speaker, end of story, I'd use "5 ch stereo" mode which works regardless of the incoming signal.

If indeed the performance of the speaker changes by "burning it in", how would not performing this trivial procedure at the factory and instead selling speakers which all sound faulty or "improper" when initially connected benefit either the consumer or the manufacturer's sales of that speaker?
believe it or not the highs get smoother, more refined and the boominess of low end fades away. I have burned in my mains plenty and the center is not quite there yet. I can actually hear a difference between them (especially with music like female vocals for the highs and low end bass with BD movies).

SVS recommends 30-40 hours of burn in before critical listening/evaluation of SQ. Smaller changes up to 200 hours.

-7.1ch Bedroom HT-
Samsung UN46EH6030
Yamaha RX-A2070
SVS Prime Bookshelf and Prime Center
Sony SS-CS5 Surrounds and Cambridge S20 Rear Surrounds
Rythmik LV12R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3002 of 3216 Old 03-12-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
If indeed the performance of the speaker changes by "burning it in", how would not performing this trivial procedure at the factory and instead selling speakers which all sound faulty or "improper" when initially connected benefit either the consumer or the manufacturer's sales of that speaker?
costs and time spend running the speakers for at least 30-40 hours more than usual

not 'faulty' or 'improper', just not 100% of best possible SQ

-7.1ch Bedroom HT-
Samsung UN46EH6030
Yamaha RX-A2070
Rythmik LV12R
post #3003 of 3216 Old 03-12-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
P.S. I forgot to mention that "Movie" mode is really meant for movie, TV, and music specifically encoded with Dolby Surround [it will say so at the beginning of the TV show, for example] whereas Music mode is more of Dolby Labs best shot at improving 2 ch. stereo music by adding the extra (synthesized) channels, however the results are hit or miss, arguably a bastardization of what the content creators intended actually, and generally works best with simple, minimally processed, acoustical music recorded with microphones rather than electronic music. So one might like it for acoustic jazz, classical, and folk, yet find it objectionable for rock, pop, electronic, dance, electronic jazz, etc..YMMV.
Quick question, does Dolby PL ll MV take a 2ch signal and output it only through the center channel?

post #3004 of 3216 Old 03-12-2016, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2002 Post(s)
Liked: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
believe it or not...
I'll go with "not".
Quote:
... the highs get smoother, more refined and the boominess of low end fades away. I have burned in my mains plenty and the center is not quite there yet. I can actually hear a difference between them (especially with music like female vocals for the highs and low end bass with BD movies).
Good thing you conducted your experiment under blind conditions so there is no possibility cognitive (expectation) bias is at play in shaping your perception.
Quote:
SVS recommends 30-40 hours of burn in before critical listening/evaluation of SQ. Smaller changes up to 200 hours
Strange how this burn in procedure alters the sound in a perceptible and beneficial way, "smoothing the highs/making the boominess of the low end fade" (according to you) yet they feel it is best to omit this beneficial information from the actual owner's manual to the Prime Center and Bookshelf speakers:
https://system.na1.netsuite.com/core...gc=clear&ext=F

Wait, let me guess, "The improvement in sound is only noticeable to those of us with a finely tuned ear who appreciate the subtle details and nuance to the sound but it is lost on the masses so they omit this burn-in info from the owner's manuals so as to not scare off potential buyers who would think it is a cumbersome chore to have to wait before they can enjoy this particular speaker, making them possibly reject it as a candidate to purchase, and end up choosing an alternate brand instead."

Did I get that right? If not, please explain why they chose to omit this from their owner's manual.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".

Last edited by m. zillch; 03-12-2016 at 02:21 PM.
post #3005 of 3216 Old 03-12-2016, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
the highs get smoother, more refined and the boominess of low end fades away..
Quote:
not 'faulty' or 'improper', just not 100% of best possible SQ

So shipping out speakers with discernably unsmooth highs and a low end which is boomy is not deemed "faulty/improper" in your book. Check.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".

Last edited by m. zillch; 03-12-2016 at 01:20 PM.
post #3006 of 3216 Old 03-12-2016, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quick question, does Dolby PL ll MV take a 2ch signal and output it only through the center channel?
"In 2000, Dolby released Pro Logic II, which creates 5.1-channels from 2-channel stereo signals. Though not nearly as good as a true discrete soundtrack like you'd get from Dolby Digital or DTS, PLII is still very popular to get all the channels going in a surround sound system with music or stereo movie."
http://hometheaterreview.com/dolby-pro-logic/

post #3007 of 3216 Old 03-12-2016, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
costs and time spend running the speakers for at least 30-40 hours more than usual
It takes a whopping one second of a technician's labor time to plug in a dual banana jack to the speaker to send it a signal from a signal generator or music system where it can then sit on a shelf for a couple of days "burning in" before they then box it up. They don't need to stay there and hold the speaker's hand while it is "burned-in" so the technician isn't wasting any labor hours and can attend to other duties. Speakers often sit idly by for days or even weeks before they get shipped out to fill orders anyways.

If the sound is annoying, because they are a small facility and the entire factory is just one room, they can silence the noise by placing pairs of speakers directly face to face and running one of the two out of phase from the other. This cancels out the sound of one speaker using the inverted phase output of the other, so the sound into the room itself is negligible. This is done sometimes by factories which have a quality/control procedure where they are checking for sudden premature failure which usually occurs either in the first hours of use, or not for several years, hence nearly all speakers come with a 5 year warranty instead of just one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve

Last edited by m. zillch; 03-12-2016 at 05:25 PM.
post #3008 of 3216 Old 03-13-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Quote:
"In 2000, Dolby released Pro Logic II, which creates 5.1-channels from 2-channel stereo signals. Though not nearly as good as a true discrete soundtrack like you'd get from Dolby Digital or DTS, PLII is still very popular to get all the channels going in a surround sound system with music or stereo movie."
http://hometheaterreview.com/dolby-pro-logic/
I tried various matrix modes, but 5ch stereo is my preference. And of the matrix modes, the movie versions sounded better than the music versions.
post #3009 of 3216 Old 03-14-2016, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Send a message via Yahoo to ChromeJob Send a message via Skype™ to ChromeJob
Quote:
Only if the original 2ch signal is in fact monophonic, not stereophonic. As Bond mentioned, if you simply want to break in the Center, Yamaha's 5ch stereo will suffice.

Quote:
Because of the limited nature of the original DPL, many consumer electronics manufacturers introduced their own processing circuitry, such as the "Jazz", "Hall", and "Stadium" modes found on most common home audio receivers. DPL II forgoes this type of processing and replaces it with simple servo (negative feedback) circuits used to derive five channels. The extra channel content is extracted using the difference between the spatial audio content between two individual channels of stereo tracks or Dolby Digital encoded 5.1 channel tracks and outputs it appropriately. In addition to five full range playback channels, Pro Logic II introduced a Music mode which includes optimized channel delays, and adds user controls to—for example—adjust apparent front sound stage width.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_...y_Pro_Logic_II

m. zillch, you're being a killjoy, filling nearly a page with diatribe that is off-topic (Yamaha RX-V*75 series receivers). Let the fellow play with his toys in peace.

“He couldn't sign his name any faster than he could duck.”
Are ya new here? Please read FAQs and forum stickies. Like posts that help you. Don't ask a question and then disappear. You will RTFM, even if I have to shame you into doing it.
A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 03-14-2016 at 10:08 AM.
post #3010 of 3216 Old 03-14-2016, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
m. zillch, you're being a killjoy, filling nearly a page with diatribe that is off-topic (Yamaha RX-V*75 series receivers). Let the fellow play with his toys in peace.
If you object to a post of mine use the report post icon.

post #3011 of 3216 Old 03-25-2016, 04:07 PM

Where can I order a replacement YPAO mic for my HTR-3066 AVR for cheap?

It's been acting up again with error (e-8 no signal) and the only thing that seems to get it running again or not is the cord itself, which if tangled or in certain positions seems to trigger the issue.

Cleaning the connectors on either end appears to have no effect on the issue, but the cord position does. It might be worn from repeated use after all these years.
post #3012 of 3216 Old 03-25-2016, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 2650 Post(s)
Liked: 2103
Quote:
Where can I order a replacement YPAO mic for my HTR-3066 AVR for cheap?

It's been acting up again with error (e-8 no signal) and the only thing that seems to get it running again or not is the cord itself, which if tangled or in certain positions seems to trigger the issue.

Cleaning the connectors on either end appears to have no effect on the issue, but the cord position does. It might be worn from repeated use after all these years.
ebay?
post #3013 of 3216 Old 03-26-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
ebay?
Yamaha gave me the part number and I ended up getting it off Amazon. It was just under $30 with free shipping.

-7.1ch Bedroom HT-
Samsung UN46EH6030
Yamaha RX-A2070
Rythmik LV12R
post #3014 of 3216 Old 03-26-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Yamaha gave me the part number and I ended up getting it off Amazon. It was just under $30 with free shipping.
New I assume. Lot better than getting it from Yamaha.
post #3015 of 3216 Old 03-26-2016, 09:16 AM

Yeah, new OEM genuine Yamaha with free 2 day shipping
post #3016 of 3216 Old 04-03-2016, 10:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hi guys I have some questions about the Yamaha reciever I have the RX-V475 that i bought as part of q home theatre pack

http://m.ca.yamaha.com/en/products/a...50/?mode=model

My question or concers are it always sounds really low especially when people are talking. I have tried messing with the settings but I haven't had much luck. I also am finding I turn the centre speaker off most of the time because it just sounds to low when it's on. I am not sure if the speakers are good ones or not I bout this set 2 years ago afrer replacing my Samsung set. Any help would be appreciated.
post #3017 of 3216 Old 04-04-2016, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost81 View Post
Hi guys I have some questions about the Yamaha reciever I have the RX-V475 that i bought as part of q home theatre pack

My question or concers are it always sounds really low especially when people are talking. I have tried messing with the settings but I haven't had much luck. I also am finding I turn the centre speaker off most of the time because it just sounds to low when it's on. I am not sure if the speakers are good ones or not I bout this set 2 years ago afrer replacing my Samsung set. Any help would be appreciated.
Have you ran YPAO in your MLP to get your calibration somewhat in the ballpark of where it needs to be, followed by adjusting your center up/down volume per your liking?

My Main Setup
Display: Panasonic TC-P60ST60 w/Acoustic Research ARRX18G XSight Touch
Sound: Yamaha RX-V375 / Pioneer AJ SP-PK52FS 5.0 / Dual SVS PB-1000s
Sources: DirecTV HR44/200 / Xbox One 500GB w/Kinect & 4TB External / 1st Gen Chromecast / HP EliteBook 8460p (Win10)
post #3018 of 3216 Old 04-04-2016, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COZisBack View Post
Have you ran YPAO in your MLP to get your calibration somewhat in the ballpark of where it needs to be, followed by adjusting your center up/down volume per your liking?

Translation if all of the acronyms are stumping you, Frost81: "Have you run the Yamaha's automatic speaker/room calibration test, placing the supplied mic at ear height, placed in the room where you normally sit, followed by (possibly) manually overriding the adjustment it determined by setting your center speaker level up/down per your liking?"
COZisBack likes this.

post #3019 of 3216 Old 04-04-2016, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by COZisBack View Post

Translation if all of the acronyms are stumping you, Frost81: "Have you run the Yamaha's automatic speaker/room calibration test, placing the supplied mic at ear height, placed in the room where you normally sit, followed by (possibly) manually overriding the adjustment it determined by setting your center speaker level up/down per your liking?"

I have yes I will try to run it again tomorrow. I am finding that I have to turn it down sometimes to 50db just to hear it somewhat good is that normal?
post #3020 of 3216 Old 04-05-2016, 01:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't understand what you mean, sorry.

In many of the surround sound modes, which you can step through with the Program up/down toggle bar on the front panel, at least on my similar RX-V375, the center speaker light on the front panel display does not illuminate because it is not used in those modes. Are you perhaps using a mode that doesn't output a signal to the center speaker?

Last edited by m. zillch; 04-05-2016 at 01:16 AM.
post #3021 of 3216 Old 04-08-2016, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
I have yes I will try to run it again tomorrow. I am finding that I have to turn it down sometimes to 50db just to hear it somewhat good is that normal?
First things first: Do you have the owner's manual? Have you skimmed through it so you understand the various Dolby/DTS decode modes, 2-channel and 7-channel modes, Straight (recommended while you're tweaking the system to be satisfactory)?

When you say "somewhat good" what does that mean? You can hear all channels in a 5.1ch movie? The test tone is the same volume out of all the speakers? Or do you mean it doesn't "sound" like the other speakers (muffled, high-pitched, or otherwise distorted).

What speakers are you using? What outputs are they connected to? Brand and model numbers, please.

After running the YPAO automated setup, when you go into Settings, Manual configuration (your menus may differ, I don't have the 475 manual handy right now), what levels are they set at?

Answers to all these will help us identify what's wrong.

Are ya new here? Please read FAQs and forum stickies. Like posts that help you. Don't ask a question and then disappear. You will RTFM, even if I have to shame you into doing it.
A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen.
post #3022 of 3216 Old 04-10-2016, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Guys, my system is in a small room, 12x14. I currently have an RX-V675 running a 5.1 setup and am considering getting an AVR that will decode Atmos. My question is, being in such a small room, would I benefit more by just switching to a 7.1 configuration or moving up to an Atmos system with front upward firing Atmos speakers?

Opinions
post #3023 of 3216 Old 04-10-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep05 View Post
Guys, my system is in a small room, 12x14. I currently have an RX-V675 running a 5.1 setup and am considering getting an AVR that will decode Atmos. My question is, being in such a small room, would I benefit more by just switching to a 7.1 configuration or moving up to an Atmos system with front upward firing Atmos speakers?

Opinions
Atmos only works with Atmos material.
7.1 can benefit with everything.
jeep05 and ChromeJob like this.
post #3024 of 3216 Old 04-10-2016, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good point Bond, I mostly agree, but I suspect many Dolby Atmos AVRs have a "upconvert this old 5.1 movie to pseudo ceiling speaker enhanced Atmos" mode. Is the sound discernably different? Probably. Is the "enhanced" sound what the original movie artists/recording engineers intended viewers to hear? Absolutely not. Will this very important concept be lost on the vast majority of reviewers who evaluate this mode and rave about it? Most likely.

Dolby Atmos encoding is currently on about 126 titles (including releases announced for the rest of 2016 but not actually out yet) of the over 25,000 US BD releases, i.e. about 0.5% of movies will properly benefit from an Atmos home setup. Also in terms of setting things up for such a home theater, keep in mind evaluations from at least one CNET reviewer of the "bounce-off-the-ceiling-to mimic-ceiling -mounted-speakers" found them to be tonally inferior to actual ceiling mounted designs, so I would personally recommend avoiding those "just as good" approaches in designing such a theater.

Heck, if bouncing off the ceiling from below worked just as well, then why do none of the commercial Atmos theaters use that approach?
jeep05 likes this.

Last edited by m. zillch; 04-10-2016 at 03:17 PM.
post #3025 of 3216 Old 04-10-2016, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks @m. zillch and @Bond 007 . Much appreciated
post #3026 of 3216 Old 04-13-2016, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, hope someone can help.

I'm trying to add a subwoofer to an RX V675 to make a simple 3.1 system therefore it is only playing through two fronts and a centre speaker atm via one of the hdmi 7.1 channels.

When I run YPAO it plays a test tone through the Sub Woofer (albeit at a very low level) whether the SW is maxed or not so while it recognises the SW in the results (-10db), distance etc when I come to save it just doesn't keep the SW in a 3.1 setup and remains at 3.0.

Can I add a SW manually? I get the feeling I'm probably doing something silly or not doing something obvious so thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards
post #3027 of 3216 Old 04-13-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antdad View Post

I'm trying to add a subwoofer to an RX V675 to make a simple 3.1 system therefore it is only playing through two fronts and a centre speaker atm via one of the hdmi 7.1 channels.

When I run YPAO it plays a test tone through the Sub Woofer (albeit at a very low level) whether the SW is maxed or not so while it recognises the SW in the results (-10db), distance etc when I come to save it just doesn't keep the SW in a 3.1 setup and remains at 3.0.

Can I add a SW manually? I get the feeling I'm probably doing something silly or not doing something obvious so thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards
Turn the sub down and rerun ypao until 675 sets sub volume at 0.
Set all speakers to Small and crossover to 80.
ChromeJob, gymnos and antdad like this.
post #3028 of 3216 Old 04-13-2016, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antdad View Post

Regards
Sub is always much quieter than the other speakers in the test tone mode. Tip if you haven't found it: Turn test tone on, then back out one level, go into Levels, and the tone continues while you adjust. If you back out and go into YPAO modes, and custom adjustment, the tone becomes a white noise (or is it pink noise; I think it's My Little Pony noise actually) while adjusting.

ANYhoo. Set your sub up like the manufacturer recommends. Hsu asks you to set theirs at 9 o'clock, or about 30% power in self-powered mode. Then run YPAO auto setup.

Quote:
Turn the sub down and rerun ypao until 675 sets sub volume at 0.
Set all speakers to Small and crossover to 80.
^ As always, golden tip from Bond. ^

But if your main speakers are small bookshelf speakers, and your sub is 10" or bigger, I'd try with bass crossover at 110 as a comparison. You can get test sound files from audiocheck.net to sweep down and see if you hear a dip in volume just higher than the crossover (indicating the main speakers can't go as low. I keep them on an iPod, very handy.

post #3029 of 3216 Old 04-13-2016, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
Sub is always much quieter than the other speakers in the test tone mode. Tip if you haven't found it: Turn test tone on, then back out one level, go into Levels, and the tone continues while you adjust. If you back out and go into YPAO modes, and custom adjustment, the tone becomes a white noise (or is it pink noise; I think it's My Little Pony noise actually) while adjusting.

ANYhoo. Set your sub up like the manufacturer recommends. Hsu asks you to set theirs at 9 o'clock, or about 30% power in self-powered mode. Then run YPAO auto setup.

^ As always, golden tip from Bond. ^

But if your main speakers are small bookshelf speakers, and your sub is 10" or bigger, I'd try with bass crossover at 110 as a comparison. You can get test sound files from audiocheck.net to sweep down and see if you hear a dip in volume just higher than the crossover (indicating the main speakers can't go as low. I keep them on an iPod, very handy.
Thanks both, switching speakers manually to small and crossover to 80 did the trick.
post #3030 of 3216 Old 04-16-2016, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Atmos only works with Atmos material.
7.1 can benefit with everything.
Bond, can I assume then, that with a 5.1.2 setup with front up-firing add-on Atmos Speakers, that they will only produce sound on Atmos tracks?

Thanks

Last edited by jeep05; 04-16-2016 at 06:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
a/v receiver , component cables , hdmi , optical audio , Yamaha , Yamaha Rx V375 5 1 Channel Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V475 5 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V575 7 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V675 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V775wa 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page