Yamaha RX-V 75 Series owners thread - Page 105 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 226Likes

post #3121 of 3147 Old 09-29-2016, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yamaha v675 and HDMI audio
Hello,

I did have my audio setup with audio cable instead of HDMI. Now with HDMI setup the presets for audio don't work. I go through each setting and the audio does not change where before the Scifi setting would sound different than Drama etc. Is it normal that HDMI will prevent the different settings?

Thanks,
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3122 of 3147 Old 10-06-2016, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmac328 View Post
Yamaha v675 and HDMI audio
Hello,

I did have my audio setup with audio cable instead of HDMI. Now with HDMI setup the presets for audio don't work. I go through each setting and the audio does not change where before the Scifi setting would sound different than Drama etc. Is it normal that HDMI will prevent the different settings?

Thanks,
John
Nope, I use it on all my HDMI inputs. Check that you don't have Pure Direct enabled or something else. Worst case scenario, reset the AVR to factory settings.

“What a funny, dirty little mind you have.”
A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 10-06-2016 at 04:43 PM.
post #3123 of 3147 Old 11-04-2016, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked: 525
When using the built-in test tones for setting speaker levels manually with SPL meter, do I need to set speakers to large and disable sub output?

Or do the test tones bypass bass management automatically?

Also, do these tones bypass room correction (auto PEQ) like most AVRs?
post #3124 of 3147 Old 11-04-2016, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
When using the built-in test tones for setting speaker levels manually with SPL meter, do I need to set speakers to large and disable sub output? I don't think it matters because the "tones" are frequency bandwidth limited, not full range pink noise, and don't include deep bass.

Also, do these tones bypass room correction (auto PEQ) like most AVRs? I assume so.
My answers in green.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
post #3125 of 3147 Old 11-04-2016, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
When using the built-in test tones for setting speaker levels manually with SPL meter, do I need to set speakers to large and disable sub output? I don't think it matters because the "tones" are frequency bandwidth limited, not full range pink noise, and don't include deep bass.

Also, do these tones bypass room correction (auto PEQ) like most AVRs? I assume so.
My answers in green.
Ok, thanks
post #3126 of 3147 Old 11-22-2016, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1339 Post(s)
Liked: 663
I have a RX-V375 and a TCL 55US57 4K TV that I'm having difficulties getting ARC to work. Anyone else have this combo and have ARC working? I've read a lot articles and tried different things. The receiver does seem to get an ARC signal but doesn't go to anything other than PCM on streams on Netflix that should be DD+. Reading up on ARC it does seem to be a bit of a kludge and a lot of users have trouble getting it to work on various combos. Just hate to buy yet another AV receiver just to solve this problem. My other streaming devices which of course run through the receiver and then to the TV work fine.

Oh and I did see somewhere there is a known 75 series ARC bug. Anyone have details on that?
post #3127 of 3147 Old 11-22-2016, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I have a RX-V375 and a TCL 55US57 4K TV that I'm having difficulties getting ARC to work. Anyone else have this combo and have ARC working? I've read a lot articles and tried different things. The receiver does seem to get an ARC signal but doesn't go to anything other than PCM on streams on Netflix that should be DD+. Reading up on ARC it does seem to be a bit of a kludge and a lot of users have trouble getting it to work on various combos. Just hate to buy yet another AV receiver just to solve this problem. My other streaming devices which of course run through the receiver and then to the TV work fine.

Oh and I did see somewhere there is a known 75 series ARC bug. Anyone have details on that?
Hdmi arc can be risky. Consider using the toslink optical digital audio connection
between the receiver and tv. They both have the same maximum bandwidth, but
the brand/model of tv can have a major effect on audio output format.

For netflix or any other video streaming try to avoid using the tv as the source.
And never pass audio through the tv. For tv generated audio sent to receiver try
both toslink and arc for the best audio format/quality (avoiding pcm etc.).
post #3128 of 3147 Old 11-23-2016, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post
Hdmi arc can be risky. Consider using the toslink optical digital audio connection
between the receiver and tv. They both have the same maximum bandwidth, but
the brand/model of tv can have a major effect on audio output format.

For netflix or any other video streaming try to avoid using the tv as the source.
And never pass audio through the tv. For tv generated audio sent to receiver try
both toslink and arc for the best audio format/quality (avoiding pcm etc.).
Thanks. I did SPDIF first but it wouldn't deliver anything more than stereo though the TV menu said it "might" be capable of DD+. Same with ARC.

I was able this morning to get the full manual which wasn't for some reason available when I tried to download it the day or so after getting the TV. There is another menu that implies streaming may be stereo only so maybe it's that broadcast TV can be sent over ARC and SPDIF in surround. I'm familiar with the last set about the issue of SPDIF only having stereo but thought maybe things had improved.

I'll contact TCL to see what the scoop is if I can't find the answer in the full manual. For Netflix and VUDU I have a Shield TV and Amazon on a BD player. All those through the receiver first for sound.
post #3129 of 3147 Old 11-23-2016, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, got ARC working on this (RX-V375 - TCL 55US57) combo. The trick was enabling it in the additional CEC menu on the TV:
Settings > System > Control other devices (CEC), and then highlight HDMI ARC. Press OK to enable or disable the feature.

Now Netflix is playing back in DD+ using ARC. This info was available from the full manual downloaded from TCL.
post #3130 of 3147 Old 11-24-2016, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
OK, got ARC working on this (RX-V375 - TCL 55US57) combo. The trick was enabling it in the additional CEC menu on the TV:
Settings > System > Control other devices (CEC), and then highlight HDMI ARC. Press OK to enable or disable the feature.

Now Netflix is playing back in DD+ using ARC. This info was available from the full manual downloaded from TCL.
I am curious what your tv manual says. I get an error when trying to download the pdf.
And you mentioned reading several articles about hdmi arc. All tv's and receivers require
that hdmi/cec control be on for arc to work. I am surprised they didn't mention that.
The manual says turn it on, but probably doesn't say how passthrough audio is handled.
Most manuals and reviews never mention it.

That is good you are getting dolby digital plus (7.1) from netflix through your tv using
hdmi arc. DD+ comes in many different bandwidths and a disk based dd+ connected to
the receiver is better quality/higher bandwidth than either arc or toslink can pass. For
comparison DD 5.1 only comes in 1 bandwidth. Still sounds good. DD+ can be 1/20 the
bandwidth of DD to 10 times better (basically lossless). For 7.1 DD+ is the way to go.
post #3131 of 3147 Old 11-24-2016, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I got the tcl tv manual. Back on pg. 69 it says after cec/arc is turned on
the cec control can be turned off. That is new and you may prefer that off.
That manual does wait forever before it mentions how to turn on arc.
I see Roku everywhere, but no mention of netfix? And no specs etc.
about how that audio is output other than fixed or variable volume.
post #3132 of 3147 Old 11-24-2016, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I got the tcl tv manual. Back on pg. 69 it says after cec/arc is turned on
the cec control can be turned off. That is new and you may prefer that off.
That manual does wait forever before it mentions how to turn on arc.
I see Roku everywhere, but no mention of netfix? And no specs etc.
about how that audio is output other than fixed or variable volume.
The audio output should be a bitstream that the receiver decodes so you adjust the audio from the receiver not the TV. The information on the web page may not be entirely correct and there was a firmware update when the TV was first turned on.

Most users like myself will probably think that basic setting for audio is all that is needed for ARC and not even notice the other HDMI setting hidden under System.
post #3133 of 3147 Old 11-27-2016, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

My recollection is that ARC will not support DD+, only DD. And...PCM?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.

post #3134 of 3147 Old 11-27-2016, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member

This confirms ARC has no DD+:

https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-au...n-channel-arc/

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
post #3135 of 3147 Old 11-27-2016, 08:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2130 Post(s)
Liked: 1767
I didnt notice anything in that article regarding DD+.
post #3136 of 3147 Old 11-27-2016, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I guess it depends on what they mean by "other formats" besides Dolby Digital which is what it will pass:

"Also, ARC only passes Dolby Digital. So those new high-resolution audio formats available on Blu-ray discs, namely Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD, are unavailable over ARC."

post #3137 of 3147 Old 11-27-2016, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I get DD+ off Netflix and VUDU via ARC.
post #3138 of 3147 Old 11-27-2016, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There's a whole thread here discussing what combinations of TVs and receivers get DD+ over ARC to work:

Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) / Atmos over HDMI ARC

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
m. zillch likes this.
post #3139 of 3147 Old 11-27-2016, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I should probably read that thread. Dolby digital plus is a mysterious thing.
According to wiki dolby digital is a fixed bandwidth of 640kbps while
dolby digital plus comes in bandwidths between 32kb and 6144kb.

Like i said in another thread. From 1/20 dd to 10 times bigger bandwidth.
The smaller dd+ bandwidths can easily pass through hdmi arc and toslink optical.
Disk based dd+ is too high but streamed dd+ can sometimes pass.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Digital_Plus
post #3140 of 3147 Old 11-30-2016, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

My Samsung TV will only send DD to the AVR, so it is dowconverting DD+ to DD. This could explain the audio dropouts I and others complained about with Netflix streaming. I no longer use the smart apps.

I may be confusing the limitations of ARC vs TOS link.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #3141 of 3147 Old 11-30-2016, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
My Samsung TV will only send DD to the AVR, so it is dowconverting DD+ to DD.
This could explain the audio dropouts I and others complained about with Netflix streaming.
I no longer use the smart apps. I may be confusing the limitations of ARC vs TOS link.
Arc and toslink in theory have the same bandwidth. It mostly comes
down to how the tv handles built-in audio and pass through audio. Even
among Samsung tv's the audio passing skills varies. I see a trend.

Older tv's had better output over toslink and now that is being
reversed to arc having better audio formats/quality. Doesn't
netflix allow an audio stream of dd? If not they are using a dd+
bandwidth lower than dd. It may even come down to your internet
connection speed. Doesn't the video take up most of the bandwidth anyway?
post #3142 of 3147 Old 11-30-2016, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Arc and toslink in theory have the same bandwidth. It mostly comes
down to how the tv handles built-in audio and pass through audio. Even
among Samsung tv's the audio passing skills varies. I see a trend.

Older tv's had better output over toslink and now that is being
reversed to arc having better audio formats/quality. Doesn't
netflix allow an audio stream of dd? If not they are using a dd+
bandwidth lower than dd. It may even come down to your internet
connection speed. Doesn't the video take up most of the bandwidth anyway?
Bandwidth isn't the issue, I've tested that. I have roughly 58mbps down, and did when I did some testing.

I did comparison streaming of the same movie, same scene via the Samsung TV, Panasonic Blu-ray player, and a Chromecast. Netflix identified that their audio stream choices were DD+ and DD 2.0 PCM. On both the BD and the Chromecast (connected via HDMI), my AVR registered output as Dolby Digital+. From the Samsung TV, the AVR identified it as DD, so the TV was clearly down-converting the audio stream. (At least, I think I remember the BDT-215's output as DD+. Dropouts didn't happen, though.)

(Clarification: according to an article, the DD aka AC-3 audio stream is embedded in the E-AC-3 stream, so equipment need only extract it for backwards compatibility. No transcoding needed, it seems. )

My reading on Dolby's site and elsewhere indicated that DD+'s strength is backward compatibility with equipment that can decode DD. The weak link in my case appeared to be Samsung. I thought I recall other forum authorities (here, Home Theater Forum) pronouncing the DD/PCM 2.0 limitation of SPDIF output methods.

Further information (not necessarily authoritative, as wikis are wikis):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_...and_downmixing

Last edited by ChromeJob; 11-30-2016 at 01:38 PM.
post #3143 of 3147 Old 11-30-2016, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't use netflix so thanks for the info. Neither of those 2 audio options are very good.
I hope the video they offer is better than that. DD 2.0? Yuck. I was trying to blame your
tv without getting too rowdy. From the article you posted is a line at the end that I have
posted many times. "While S/PDIF can carry Dolby Digital Plus at lower bitrates, the HD DVD
standard specifies a bitrate for DD+ which is too high for a S/PDIF interface to transmit."
post #3144 of 3147 Old 12-01-2016, 05:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2130 Post(s)
Liked: 1767
Some Amazon movies are 7.1, many are 5.1 and some 2.0.
Im sure Netflix is the same.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #3145 of 3147 Old 12-01-2016, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Broadband bandwidth shouldn't effect viewing unless it's too low or other family members are sucking on it at the same time. DD+ can be as low as 32 kbps per channel. What I find is on cold winter nights probably the CDN server you're on is getting pounded with demand resulting in lower PQ though not audio which is usually the same file regardless of resolution except they may just use a stereo file for mobile. I see this more on Hulu than Netflix. Solution is to stop the show, get completely out of the app, wait about 30 seconds then go back and resume. You will undoubtedly get a different server this time and it may not be pummeled so you will get the best PQ but audio shouldn't matter unless audio segments get dropped.

We're still in the pioneering days of streaming.
post #3146 of 3147 Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityZ View Post
i have a rx-v475 and still running v1.26

i also have the original 1.26 firmware file(and also the 1.21)

let me know where to upload it

i also would like to know the advantages of v1.28

thanks
Any chance you could provide these older firmwares to me? if they are still available?
post #3147 of 3147 Old Today, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
rx-v475 and firmware 1.3

Would anyone know if upgrading a rx-v475 to firmware 1.3 eliminates the ability to access extra web features unique to the rx-v675 available via a 'greasemonkey' script?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
a/v receiver , component cables , hdmi , optical audio , Yamaha , Yamaha Rx V375 5 1 Channel Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V475 5 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V575 7 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V675 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V775wa 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page