post #631 of 1463 Old 01-16-2014, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

yw
One last question...I ran again (for the last time) the YPAO configuration.
It sets now the right rear channel at 1.15m and the left rear channel at 1.20m (I don't know why...there aren't any obstacles and they are in the same position). What if I put the same value for the two channels (1.20m)? Does it happen anything wrong with the amplification?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1463 Old 01-16-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 825
YPAO does not really measure the actual physical distance. It is an acoustic measurement.
It wont hurt anything to change it but I would leave it as it is.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #633 of 1463 Old 01-16-2014, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I did not use YPAO at all...I think it is a waist of time.

I just did it the old fashioned way and adjusted each speaks volume output manually based on my sweet spot and how in sound to me from there.

If using YPAO does not return the desired results, you are going to manually adjust the sparker(s) volume levels anyway.
post #634 of 1463 Old 01-17-2014, 03:39 AM

Another question...what does it change from Natural, Through, etc in the Parametric EQ menu? Thank you again and again... smile.gif
post #635 of 1463 Old 01-17-2014, 03:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecLinE View Post

Another question...what does it change from Natural, Through, etc in the Parametric EQ menu? Thank you again and again... smile.gif
You can look at it and see.

post #636 of 1463 Old 01-17-2014, 03:49 AM

Quote:

You can look at it and see.
I'm asking because I didn't hear any difference... rolleyes.gif
post #637 of 1463 Old 01-17-2014, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecLinE View Post

Another question...what does it change from Natural, Through, etc in the Parametric EQ menu?

YPAO Flat tries to produce a fairly flat frequency response, so it typically boosts high frequencies to achieve that. It should sound brighter than Natural which lets the high frequencies roll off. Through mode means the EQ is bypassed.

Depending on your room and speakers, Through might not be much different than one of the other modes, but usually you can hear a difference between Flat and Natural.
post #638 of 1463 Old 01-17-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

YPAO Flat tries to produce a fairly flat frequency response, so it typically boosts high frequencies to achieve that. It should sound brighter than Natural which lets the high frequencies roll off. Through mode means the EQ is bypassed.

Depending on your room and speakers, Through might not be much different than one of the other modes, but usually you can hear a difference between Flat and Natural.
Thank you very much! wink.gif
post #639 of 1463 Old 01-17-2014, 12:29 PM

Hello!

I've got a small problem with my rxv375 and Chromecast. It almost works just right: when the receiver is off and I send something to Chromecast, the receiver turns itself on and switches to the Chromecast input; however, there is no sound from the receiver, and audio comes out of the TV. Turning the volume up and down on the receiver has no effect, or switching inputs back and forth, I have to turn the receiver off and then on again, and then the TV will be mute and sound will pour out of the receiver speakers. This really defeats the purpose of the auto-on procedure and irritates me to no end.

Anybody there has the same problem (and knows how to fix it)?

Thanks in advance!
post #640 of 1463 Old 01-17-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomik View Post

Hello!

I've got a small problem with my rxv375 and Chromecast. It almost works just right: when the receiver is off and I send something to Chromecast, the receiver turns itself on and switches to the Chromecast input; however, there is no sound from the receiver, and audio comes out of the TV. Turning the volume up and down on the receiver has no effect, or switching inputs back and forth, I have to turn the receiver off and then on again, and then the TV will be mute and sound will pour out of the receiver speakers. This really defeats the purpose of the auto-on procedure and irritates me to no end.

Anybody there has the same problem (and knows how to fix it)?

Thanks in advance!
Try turning off ARC.

post #641 of 1463 Old 01-17-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:

Try turning off ARC.

Nice try! Thank you, it sounded like it could be just the thing. The TV is old and has no Audio Return Channel on HDMI, which could be related...

Unfortunately, switching off the ARC in the receiver achieves nothing :-(
post #642 of 1463 Old 01-17-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomik View Post

Nice try! Thank you, it sounded like it could be just the thing. The TV is old and has no Audio Return Channel on HDMI, which could be related...

Unfortunately, switching off the ARC in the receiver achieves nothing :-(
Its a handshake issue that you may not be able to fix. Chromecast needs to be powered on before the receiver so that the receiver will recognize it.

post #643 of 1463 Old 01-17-2014, 05:06 PM

I don't think it is that. The Chromecast is always powered on, and commands the receiver to turn itself on. The receiver turns on to that input, but then sends both the picture and the audio downstream to the TV, instead of keeping the audio for itself.
post #644 of 1463 Old 01-17-2014, 10:28 PM

Been reading through this entire thread and many others.

I'm really eager to purchase the Yamaha RX-V375, but there is another receiver people have highly recommended which is the Sony STR-DN840.

In canada, i can get the Yamaha v375 for $300 or the Sony DN840 for $430.

I was wondering if the extra $130 would offer any improvement in sound quality compared to the yamaha?

I know the Sony DN840 has a few extra bells and whistles I don't really care for, as I'm mainly concerned about sound quality.

Really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!

post #645 of 1463 Old 01-17-2014, 11:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Its unlikely the sound quality would be any better.

post #646 of 1463 Old 01-18-2014, 04:15 AM

I chose the 375 over the 475 or the Sony because: I used to have a Yamaha 6xx which sounded great and worked fine until the dog used it as a urinal. I did not go this time so high up the line, because in the 6xx I paid for:

* a great analog video converter that pushed analog video up the hdmi with great scaling, but died unused

* 7.1 output channels of which two died unused

The Sony, for that extra money, would give me extra audio channels which I will never use (I do not want that many speakers in my living room!). It would also give me network features I DO NOT WANT. My 375 is intemporal, there is little in it that will be obsolete in quite a few years time. Why would I want to stuff a crummy Pandora client in it that looks bad today and will be garbage tomorrow? Especially when I can add that and much more, with a great interface, for $30, with a disposeable Chromecast dongle (or a Roku, AppleTV or whatever).

As for the audio, what the 375 gives me is the same great quality I got from the 6xx, as the analog electronics and DACs are essentially the same, or improved. I am not an audiophile, just a musicphile, and the output I get sounds just wonderful. It has to be said that each of the front two main speakers cost me a little more money than the 375 itself; I thought that to get the best audio at a given price it would be sensible to optimize the weakest link.

Surely the Sony will give you great service, but I doubt it will give you better sound, and maybe the bells and whistles will add nothing at all but price and built-in obsolescence
post #647 of 1463 Old 01-18-2014, 04:55 AM

Hello everyone!

I've been searching for some info on the yamaha receivers but i still have doubts.

I am looking for a new entry-level receiver, since i still don't have quality speakers and have no need (space) for multizone or other fancy technologies.

What i do need, however, is a receiver that decodes Pro Logic II and have component connections, since i plan on hooking up my wii and my old PS2 to it. So here is my doubt: In the yamaha product page, only the receivers RX-V573, 575 and beyond (673, 675, etc) are listed as having Dolby Pro Logic decoding (Sorround Sound Processing: ...; Dolby Pro Logic IIx).

However, in the PDF manuals, like the manual of the RX-V375, page 39, it says the receiver can decode dolby pro logic and dolby pro logic II (movie, game and music).

To complicate matters a little bit more in my head, the specifications page of the manual (page 79, model RX-V375) lists the compatible decoding formats as : Dolby True HD, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital, and others, listing Dolby Pro Logic as a "Post Decoding Format"...

So, my question is simple: Does the entry level models of the Yamaha receivers truly decode Dolby Pro Logic II, or the information on the manual are mixed with that of higher models?

Thanks in advance guys!
post #648 of 1463 Old 01-18-2014, 05:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The 375 decodes everything that the higher models do except IIx because thats a 7.1 format.
cinhomartins likes this.

post #649 of 1463 Old 01-18-2014, 05:28 AM

Thanks for the quick reply Mr. Bond! cool.gif
post #650 of 1463 Old 01-18-2014, 05:43 AM

Question for rx-v775 owners. I'm considering buying one too, but want to know if

1/ party mode stays on if you switch source (eg from radio to tv) or restart your amp? 

I want to use zone 2 mainly as old fashion speakers B, but with the ability to have different volume or source if someone is watching tv in the mainroom. Party mode seems like the closest I can get to this 'simple' request

2/ does spotify (preferably spotify connect) work on zone 2 alone too?

fingers crossed

smurf

post #651 of 1463 Old 01-18-2014, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim97219 View Post

With a huge amount of most-appreciated help from Exist_ToResist, I've learned that the Pioneer VSX-1123-K will do almost all of what I'm looking for. I'd like to know if the Yamaha's can do this, specifically the RX-V775WA and the RX-A830.

What I have is this:
Zone A is the living room with audio and video in a 5.1 setup.
Zone B is the dining room and it's adjacent to the living room. There are two speakers there and all I use it for is audio, with the TV as a monitor on occasion.
Zone 2 is the patio and it would be audio only, with one or two speakers, no more.

What I'd like to be able to do is the following, each exclusive of the other:
1) Watch TV/movies or listen to music in the living room.
2) Listen to music in the dining room and (optionally) use the TV as a monitor.
3) Listen to music in both the living room and the dining room at the same time with the same source and (optionally) with the TV as a monitor.
4) Listen to music on the patio.
5) Listen to music in both the living room and the patio at the same time with the same source

Regarding sources, the living room and dining room would be cable box/OTA TV/HTPC, all connected via HDMI. The patio would be audio-only, via either analog from the HTPC or internet radio through the receiver. An iPod/iPad/iPhone or Android device could be a potential source for all of this as well but it's not a requirement. And I can't imagine a need for different music in different zones at the same time. The VSX-1123-K will do 1-4 but not 5. How many would either the RX-V775WA or the RX-A830 be able to do without adding any other adapters or switches to the mix?

Thanks in advance
Jim

Anybody? Please?
post #652 of 1463 Old 01-18-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 145
It sounds like you need 3 zones (living room, dining room and patio). The A830 only has 2 zones. It does have "Party Mode", which lets the same source play in all zones even if it's an HDMI source, but without 3 zones I don't see how you can do what you want. The A2030 has 3 zones. You can compare the features of all the models quite easily on the Yamaha web site.
post #653 of 1463 Old 01-18-2014, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

It sounds like you need 3 zones (living room, dining room and patio). The A830 only has 2 zones. It does have "Party Mode", which lets the same source play in all zones even if it's an HDMI source, but without 3 zones I don't see how you can do what you want. The A2030 has 3 zones. You can compare the features of all the models quite easily on the Yamaha web site.
Sort of. I need three zones but will ever use only two at any given time. In other words, 5 of the 7 amplifiers will be for the living room and its 5.1 setup. The other two amps would switch between either the dining room or the patio. Also, the other problem I have is that my stand won't accommodate a receiver as deep as the A2030, which is 18-3/8". I'm limited to more like 16" or so.
post #654 of 1463 Old 01-19-2014, 12:48 AM

Did anyone tested Virtual Cinema DSP with 2.1 setup? Please share your thoughts

post #655 of 1463 Old 01-20-2014, 05:16 PM

USB input - Thumb drive

I use the USB port to plug a thumb drive in to listen to .mp3 files

I would like to know if anyone has found a way to FF through a file while it is playing.

The use of the "preset" I<< or >>I just skips to the next or previous track.
post #656 of 1463 Old 01-21-2014, 03:12 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfenbier View Post

Question for rx-v775 owners. I'm considering buying one too, but want to know if

1/ party mode stays on if you switch source (eg from radio to tv) or restart your amp? 
I want to use zone 2 mainly as old fashion speakers B, but with the ability to have different volume or source if someone is watching tv in the mainroom. Party mode seems like the closest I can get to this 'simple' request

2/ does spotify (preferably spotify connect) work on zone 2 alone too?

fingers crossed
smurf

I can't get Spotify working at all on my RX-V575. Everything on the Yamaha website indicates it should have the feature, Spotify lists Yamaha as a partner, yet no info to make it work. It seems like we are waiting for a firmware update? The only way I can get it to work is running it through my laptop. If I wanted to do that I wouldn't bother to pay for Spotify.

Does anyone know about this one?

I'm not unhappy with my Yamaha, but I went from a Denon 1913 to the Yamaha, and I have to say the Denon is better in nearly every category. Audyssey is much better than YPAO, Spotify works out of the box, the Denon supports multi-channel FLAC's via USB, the remote is better, easy to change audio source on the fly when you want to watch and listen to different sources. I'm sure you will be happy with the Yamaha, but give the Denon lineup a look. Fry's has the Denon AVR-E300 on sale for $199 from time to time and it blows away the 375 and 475. The 575 is more powerful if you like your music loud.
post #657 of 1463 Old 01-21-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

So why did you go from the 1913 to the 575 again?

post #658 of 1463 Old 01-24-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMike View Post

I did not use YPAO at all...I think it is a waist of time.

I just did it the old fashioned way and adjusted each speaks volume output manually based on my sweet spot and how in sound to me from there.

If using YPAO does not return the desired results, you are going to manually adjust the sparker(s) volume levels anyway.
Got to agree with you. After having run YPAO on my RX-V375, Is there a simple way to turn YPAO off or set it back to the "pre-run" factory settings? I don't want to default everything, just the YPAO.
post #659 of 1463 Old 01-24-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh2 View Post

Got to agree with you. After having run YPAO on my RX-V375, Is there a simple way to turn YPAO off or set it back to the "pre-run" factory settings? I don't want to default everything, just the YPAO.

I don't know about that

I do not have the unit connected to a TV. I purchased and returned a TV (because I needed the HDMI connection for set up) after set up. I'm old school and did not have such a "luxury" (YPAQ...not) when I set up my old Denon AVR 3300.

So when it came time to the YPAO I had no idea what this was until I read the manual and after that I thought ....bullsxxt...not going to do that. So I just adjusted the old fashioned way seated in my "sweet spot"
post #660 of 1463 Old 01-24-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMike View Post

I don't know about that

I do not have the unit connected to a TV. I purchased and returned a TV (because I needed the HDMI connection for set up) after set up. I'm old school and did not have such a "luxury" (YPAQ...not) when I set up my old Denon AVR 3300.

So when it came time to the YPAO I had no idea what this was until I read the manual and after that I thought ....bullsxxt...not going to do that. So I just adjusted the old fashioned way seated in my "sweet spot"
If you have the right equipment, the knowledge to use it correctly and take the time to do it properly you can do it better than YPAO.
If any one of those 3 requirements is not met then youre wasting time and energy for inferior sound.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V775wa 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V575 7 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V675 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V475 5 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V375 5 1 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page