Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1573 Old 03-04-2014, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

2) Yes. Set speakers as "Small" and the sub will output sound.

Thank you 007. Even if the front speakers are set to "Large", which is how I have mine set since they are large old-school JBL floor speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1573 Old 03-05-2014, 03:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by am_dew View Post

Thank you 007. Even if the front speakers are set to "Large", which is how I have mine set since they are large old-school JBL floor speakers?
If you turn "Extra Bass" on with the speakers as Large the sub and speakers will both deliver bass. If you have a nice sub though it will probably do a better job with the bass. Try it both ways and see which sounds better.
am_dew likes this.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #813 of 1573 Old 03-05-2014, 06:17 AM

Quote:

If you turn "Extra Bass" on with the speakers as Large the sub and speakers will both deliver bass. If you have a nice sub though it will probably do a better job with the bass. Try it both ways and see which sounds better.

Thanks again. My sub is a Polk PSW-10 -- nothing special but it is all I need in my apartment. I will do some tests as you suggest.

One other observation: I did the YPAO calibration and was surprised that it set my crossover to 150 Hz.. At the time of the calibration my sub's volume was set to half and crossover was at max. My surrounds are Klipsch B-20 and my center channel is a Polk CS-10. All three of them are certainly capable of <150 Hz as are my fronts.
post #814 of 1573 Old 03-05-2014, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hi all, I would apprechiate some help with a few questions:

1. With the RXV 475, to play music from my PC laptop (it has an hdmi port) do i have to spent ANOTHER £75 for the usb bluetooth dongle or is there a way around this? I see it has Airplay, DNLA and other features, would apprechiate some clarification on this

2. Does spotify require any kind of payment or is it just the standard free with occassional adverts on t 475. I see the new Spotify connect has a 1 month free trial.

3. Are there any setup/features that require the tv screen to be on to navigate, or can everything be done on the AVR?

4.When i tested the 675, it ony recognised the 192 kbps and not the 320 kbps (i thought this was pretty poor for a £350 AVR), will this be the same in streaming?

(I played the Monitor Audio BX2's with this yesterday and was really impressed, could be the combo 2.0 i go for.)

Yamaha RX V-475

Monitor Audio Bronze BX2   Speakers

Monitor Audio Bronze BX     Centre

Monitor Audio Bronze BRFX Rears

FAT PS3

Sans subwoofer

post #815 of 1573 Old 03-05-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks again. My sub is a Polk PSW-10 -- nothing special but it is all I need in my apartment. I will do some tests as you suggest.

One other observation: I did the YPAO calibration and was surprised that it set my crossover to 150 Hz.. At the time of the calibration my sub's volume was set to half and crossover was at max. My surrounds are Klipsch B-20 and my center channel is a Polk CS-10. All three of them are certainly capable of <150 Hz as are my fronts.
That is strange. Youre running 3 different kinds of speakers in your system. Thats not recommended and may have something to do with it. The room and speaker placement might play into it also.
What did YPAO set the sub volume at?

post #816 of 1573 Old 03-05-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjitb View Post

Hi all, I would apprechiate some help with a few questions:

1. With the RXV 475, to play music from my PC laptop (it has an hdmi port) do i have to spent ANOTHER £75 for the usb bluetooth dongle or is there a way around this? I see it has Airplay, DNLA and other features, would apprechiate some clarification on this

2. Does spotify require any kind of payment or is it just the standard free with occassional adverts on t 475. I see the new Spotify connect has a 1 month free trial.

3. Are there any setup/features that require the tv screen to be on to navigate, or can everything be done on the AVR?

4.When i tested the 675, it ony recognised the 192 kbps and not the 320 kbps (i thought this was pretty poor for a £350 AVR), will this be the same in streaming?

(I played the Monitor Audio BX2's with this yesterday and was really impressed, could be the combo 2.0 i go for.)
2) You have to have a pay subscription to use Spotify. And then you can only stream to the receiver using a pc or tablet. It is not all internal like Pandora, Rhapsody, etc.
3) Using the tv screen to set it up is much easier but you can use your pc by putting the receivers web address plus the word "setup" into your pc search window. For ex. 192.168.1.1/setup/
Benjitb likes this.

post #817 of 1573 Old 03-05-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:

That is strange. Youre running 3 different kinds of speakers in your system. Thats not recommended and may have something to do with it. The room and speaker placement might play into it also.
What did YPAO set the sub volume at?

Yea, I realize my speaker setup is not ideal but it is what it is and I can't afford to buy a matched set.

YPAO set the sub volume at +5.5 as I recall.
post #818 of 1573 Old 03-05-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yea, I realize my speaker setup is not ideal but it is what it is and I can't afford to buy a matched set.

YPAO set the sub volume at +5.5 as I recall.
You dont have to stick with that crossover. Try around 100 and see how it sounds.

post #819 of 1573 Old 03-05-2014, 11:34 AM

Yamaha RX V-475

FAT PS3

Sans subwoofer

post #820 of 1573 Old 03-05-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Im not sure but I dont think you need anything extra. It is DLNA certified and one of the inputs is "Server". Maybe if you download the Owners manual it will help.
Benjitb likes this.

post #821 of 1573 Old 03-05-2014, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17

1) well if you have Windows 7/8 you can use play to (DLNA) go play your music on the AVR

If it's already enabled in your windows put the AVR in server, select a song on your pc, right click and select play to

Benjitb likes this.
post #822 of 1573 Old 03-05-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OberstDanjeje View Post

1) well if you have Windows 7/8 you can use play to (DLNA) go play your music on the AVR

If it's already enabled in your windows put the AVR in server, select a song on your pc, right click and select play to

Thanks Bond and obers.

Total beginner question, so this would be the hdmi connection between the PC and AVR only?

Yamaha RX V-475

FAT PS3

Sans subwoofer

post #823 of 1573 Old 03-05-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OberstDanjeje View Post

Thanks Bond and obers.

Total beginner question, so this would be the hdmi connection between the PC and AVR only?
You would not need an HDMI connection.

post #824 of 1573 Old 03-05-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:

You would not need an HDMIu connection.

yes, it's a wired/wireless connection from your PC to your AVR using the router.

post #825 of 1573 Old 03-05-2014, 11:27 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

You would not need an HDMI connection.

Of course you do need to have something connecting the 2 devices. The something can be a cable, an Ethernet (wired or wifi) network, or bluetooth. There are many ways to play music from a PC to the Yamaha, the most common, in roughly decreasing order of sound quality are:
  1. Use a USB soundcard with digital audio output and connect the digital output to the AVR (e.g.: Turtle Beach Micro II USB sound card)
  2. Plug an HDMI cable from the laptop to the AVR, choose HDMI input, note that if you have a TV or monitor attached to the AVR, then your laptop will consider the HDMI connection to be an external monitor and will attempt to use the AVR for both audio and video. This is a nice feature, but could be confusing if you don't expect it.
  3. Use DNLA streaming from the PC to the AVR using a DNLA server (e.g.: Windows Media Player, foobar2000, Plex, XMBC, etc.)
  4. Use a (decent quality) USB soundcard and connect the analog output to the AVR (e.g.: Turtle Beach Micro II USB sound card). In theory if you use a super-high-end USB audio card / DAC, this could be the highest quality option, but it quickly gets expensive if you leave consumer USB cards for audiophile USB-transports.
  5. Use a BlueTooth receiver on the AVR, either the one that Yamaha sells or a different model that supports APTX codec and a digital connection to the AVR (Monoprice Home Theater Bluetooth Receiver)
  6. Use a stereo-mini to RCA adapter cable from the PC's headphone output into an analog input on the AVR. Depending on the quality of your laptop's headphone output, this could be poor quality audio with hiss or other objectionable noises.
  7. Use a bluetooth adapter that only supports A2DP / AVRCP but doesn't support APTX (e.g.: Monoprice Bluetooth Music Receiver)
The top 3 options are virtually identical from an audio perspective.

As others have said, DNLA streaming is likely the best option for you assuming you have the AVR and the PC on the same network. It is the only option that requires no additional cables or setup other than the network setup. A very cool feature of the DNLA option is that if you have an Android or iOS device, you can install Yamaha's "AV Controller" app that will allow you to play music from your PC on the Yamaha without touching either of them. Another benefit of DNLA (or limitation, depending on your perspective) is that only music will play on the AVR. Any local audio sounds like incoming mail, beeps, etc, will NOT play on the AVR. If you want to play movies on your PC and have surround-sound routed to the AVR, then generally you'll need to use #1 or #2, although it may be possible to route the direct PC audio over DNLA as described here, but I haven't been able to make that approach work with my RX-475.

Hopefully this helps, I was feeling pedantic. There are more esoteric / complex options like Roku, Chromecast, hosting your own Shoutcast server, or -- horrors -- an FM modulator.
greenhavenn, gymnos and Benjitb like this.
post #826 of 1573 Old 03-06-2014, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10

DNLA and Yamaha app for Android will work if I connect the AVR to the router via Ethernet cable?

I want to listen music from my notebook in the Yamaha 775.

Thanks.

post #827 of 1573 Old 03-06-2014, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymnos View Post

DNLA and Yamaha app for Android will work if I connect the AVR to the router via Ethernet cable?

I want to listen music from my notebook in the Yamaha 775.

Thanks.

Yes, if your Android tablet is also on the same network, generally this means that everything is connected through the same router.
gymnos likes this.
post #828 of 1573 Old 03-06-2014, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyApuzzo View Post

Yes, if your Android tablet is also on the same network, generally this means that everything is connected through the same router.

Ok, so I don´t need the WiFi adapter for the receptor, right?

Thanks.

post #829 of 1573 Old 03-06-2014, 03:04 AM

Quote:

Ok, so I don´t need the WiFi adapter for the receptor, right?

Thanks.

no need to WiFi adapter

gymnos likes this.
post #830 of 1573 Old 03-06-2014, 03:17 AM

Perfect, I´ll try connecting the Yamaha via Ethernet to the router and my Android smartphone to the WiFi network of that router.

Do you find useful the app for Android?

Thanks.

post #831 of 1573 Old 03-06-2014, 03:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Do you find useful the app for Android?
Thanks.
Works great for me.
gymnos likes this.

post #832 of 1573 Old 03-07-2014, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I can display the web control center on my Yamaha TSR-6750 (reportedly same as v675) using http://192.168.0.111 and use http://192.168.0.111/YamahaRemoteControl/desc.xml to display information about its interface, but http://192.168.0.111/setup/ doesn't find a page. Is this setup page just not enabled on my model or is there something I need to do to enable it?
post #833 of 1573 Old 03-08-2014, 05:08 AM

Just to let you all know if interested. I took the PC in to test it with the 475.

1. The HDMI connection didn't work well, it was very low quality and extrememely quiet.

2. Then i plugged in the stores DAC http://www.whathifi.com/review/cambridge-audio-dacmagic-xs to the pc and the sound was boosted to an acceptable level. Not as good as CD of course, and I was unable to use the DNLA featre.

Anyway I've got the 475 now,, Speakers to come.

Thanks to everyone that took the time to help. I've just printed the huge manual, wow!

Yamaha RX V-475

FAT PS3

Sans subwoofer

post #834 of 1573 Old 03-09-2014, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
[quote name="Benjitb" I've just printed the huge manual, wow!
[/quote]

I downloaded the manual to a thumb drive then took it to Kinko's and had it printed and bound in book form for a few dollars.
post #835 of 1573 Old 03-09-2014, 01:34 PM

Hey All

Just posted this in the main "Receivers, Amps and Processors" forum and then found this thread...

Just joined up as I have been really enjoying the input and ideas being provided here.

With that comes a problem that I hope that someone can help me with.

I have just recently bought (as the subject line suggests) a Yamaha RX-V475 AV receiver. I have two external input sources. A Shaw Cable Box and a custom built XBMC media PC both plugged in via HDMI1/2 respectively. I can get sound from both to pass through to the TV speakers, but they suck. I have a pair of Bose Companion 2 Series II Desktop powered speakers that are all I have for now. I cannot get any sound from the HDMI source to the AV out on the receiver to the Bose speakers. I have tried a lot of combinations of settings with no luck and at this point I am wondering if it is even possible and does this receiver have this capability. 

The output sources from both the external devices are putting sound out via the HDMI as is confirmed with the pass through to the TV speakers, and I can get local fm/al radio to play out the Bose speakers, but nothing seems to be passing through from the HDMI side of things to the AV out and attached Bose speakers.

I hope that describes the situation as best as possible. I would love to have an answer on this just so I know what my options are. Missed config option. Return it as its broken. Buy new passive speakers. I hope to eventually eat a milk bone in a commie free world...

Thanks so much for any input.

Cheers

post #836 of 1573 Old 03-09-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slendotnet View Post

Hey All

Just posted this in the main "Receivers, Amps and Processors" forum and then found this thread...

Just joined up as I have been really enjoying the input and ideas being provided here.

With that comes a problem that I hope that someone can help me with.

I have just recently bought (as the subject line suggests) a Yamaha RX-V475 AV receiver. I have two external input sources. A Shaw Cable Box and a custom built XBMC media PC both plugged in via HDMI1/2 respectively. I can get sound from both to pass through to the TV speakers, but they suck. I have a pair of Bose Companion 2 Series II Desktop powered speakers that are all I have for now. I cannot get any sound from the HDMI source to the AV out on the receiver to the Bose speakers. I have tried a lot of combinations of settings with no luck and at this point I am wondering if it is even possible and does this receiver have this capability. 

The output sources from both the external devices are putting sound out via the HDMI as is confirmed with the pass through to the TV speakers, and I can get local fm/al radio to play out the Bose speakers, but nothing seems to be passing through from the HDMI side of things to the AV out and attached Bose speakers.

I hope that describes the situation as best as possible. I would love to have an answer on this just so I know what my options are. Missed config option. Return it as its broken. Buy new passive speakers. I hope to eventually eat a milk bone in a commie free world...

Thanks so much for any input.

Cheers

Hey All

Answered here for reference in the main forum. Something to take note of when looking at the 475. 

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1521762/yamaha-rx-v475-problems-with-hdmi-sound-to-powered-desktop-speakers-on-av-out

Cheers

post #837 of 1573 Old 03-12-2014, 02:15 AM

Can anyone confirm that the Yamaha RX-Vx75 series AVRs DO or DON'T support Ogg Vorbis format? I assume that they don't based on the fact that the Yamaha website has no mention of Ogg Vorbis at all.

I haven't been able to get my RX-V475 to play Ogg with the latest 1/31/2014 firmware (Version 1.21). While not a deal-breaker, I really enjoyed being able to play Ogg on my Onkyo NR receiver and am bummed that it seems to be unsupported on the Yamaha.

UPDATE: I heard back from Yamaha via Twitter that they officially DO NOT support Ogg. Too bad, hopefully they'll improve their codec support with the next firmware upgrade. (I like to dream.)
post #838 of 1573 Old 03-12-2014, 08:25 AM

Question on crossover settings for my RX-V375.

My speaker specs can be found here: http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=HT-S4100&class=Systems

When I ran the auto setup, it set my crossover value to 200. The bass on this was blasting me out of the house...it sounded like a train was in our room during regular TV watching. So, I bumped it down to 80 which is the default.

Looking at the speaker specs (which are like Greek to me), does anyone have a recommendation? Of course I plan to try different settings, but I was wondering if the frequency response data for my speakers might point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
post #839 of 1573 Old 03-12-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Those specs arent much. Set it wherever it sounds good. Just from experience a good guess would probably be 100 or 120.

post #840 of 1573 Old 03-15-2014, 08:10 PM

Hello all, my 1st post on here although I've been an avid reader for years. I followed most of the advice on here and purchased an rx-v 675 and mated it to a panasonic p50st60 plasma. Now my quick questions I can't figure out.

1. Can you skip inputs that aren't being used such as the extra hdmi inputs and all the av inputs?
2. I haven't connected it online yet so no FW update but I have an ipad dock connected via 2xrca to the audio 1 input (using for music in the mean time) how can I listen to audio 1 but watch the picture from my cable box that is connected to hdmi 4? I've read about using a optical cable from the cable box ?

Everything else I'm happy with, it's a great amp !

Thanks
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V775wa 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V575 7 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V675 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V475 5 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V375 5 1 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - V375 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page