Yamaha RX-V 75 Series owners thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 1463 Old 04-16-2014, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I will have to double check if I need to unplug the HDMI cable, or if I can just switch over the tuner. Thanks for the input. I might just turn HDMI control off and buy a Logitech Harmony or similar.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1463 Old 04-16-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMJohnson View Post

I will have to double check if I need to unplug the HDMI cable, or if I can just switch over the tuner. Thanks for the input. I might just turn HDMI control off and buy a Logitech Harmony or similar.
+1

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #993 of 1463 Old 04-16-2014, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

I doubt it's defective, but HDMI Control is hit or miss depending on the particular combination of components. The order in which you turn things on can be important. It's usually best to turn on the display first, then the receiver, then the source. And when things don't work are you sure you can't fix it by just changing to another source (e.g. to Tuner) then back again, without physically unplugging any cables?

A good universal remote (e.g. Harmony) is the common solution for people who give up on HDMI control but still want a single button to turn on the whole system.

I dont know if it was my receiver or my tv, but i had some strange "oh no" moments when I set mine up. And after 30 seconds or so without changing anything they all seemed to figure eachother out and work.

Vizio m55
Yamaha v475
Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.0, BIC F12
PS4, AppleTV, DirecTV
post #994 of 1463 Old 04-16-2014, 11:28 AM

I have a potentially similar question about HDMI-CEC and Standby on my V375.  When the AVR is in standby - sending a signal from the connected PS4, Chromecast etc will turn the receiver on and switch the input to the appropriate channel.  The issue is that no sound will play.  Even after changing the input away and then back to the appropriate input there is no sound.  The only way to 'reset' this is to turn the receiver off entirely and start it up again manually.

Is there any way to have the AVR come out of standby and actually play sound from an input?  Is this an HDMI handshake issue?  I am new to AVR tech so I could be missing something simple here.  Thanks for any help - although I don't really post I have learned a lot from this thread!

post #995 of 1463 Old 04-16-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDM View Post

I have a potentially similar question about HDMI-CEC and Standby on my V375.  When the AVR is in standby - sending a signal from the connected PS4, Chromecast etc will turn the receiver on and switch the input to the appropriate channel.  The issue is that no sound will play.  Even after changing the input away and then back to the appropriate input there is no sound.  The only way to 'reset' this is to turn the receiver off entirely and start it up again manually.

Is there any way to have the AVR come out of standby and actually play sound from an input?  Is this an HDMI handshake issue?  I am new to AVR tech so I could be missing something simple here.  Thanks for any help - although I don't really post I have learned a lot from this thread!
Yes. Handshake issue. Probably ARC related.

post #996 of 1463 Old 04-16-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Yes. Handshake issue. Probably ARC related.

I will disable ARC and see.  Any other ideas on what to try?

post #997 of 1463 Old 04-16-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:

I will disable ARC and see.  Any other ideas on what to try?

there were a bunch of settings on my tv, not just receiver i had to mess with to get the audio to work how i wanted it. dl your tv manual and see.

Vizio m55
Yamaha v475
PS4, AppleTV, DirecTV
post #998 of 1463 Old 04-17-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatakle View Post

Hello Everyone,

i couldn't hear any sound from subwoofer.

Please advise. Thanks

Just a quick update. I set the front speakers to large, crossover to 160 hz and everything is working fine. Once i will have the complete 5.1 i would be able to hopefully change it to small, 80hz and hopefully it works. 

Thanks everybody for your replies. Appreciate it. 

post #999 of 1463 Old 04-18-2014, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I listen to DD or DTS in the STRAIGHT when the source if from DISH (DD) or a DVD or CD (DTS)

When I listed to a non HD station on DISH or anything in PCM I listen in the 7 CH STEREO mode

When I listen in the 7 CH STEREO mode I often would like to boost the db of the rear speakers. Is there a setting on the AVR in which a preset can be made for the db levels for individual DSP modes?
post #1000 of 1463 Old 04-18-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

All DSP modes are customizable. You cant change the db levels but in 7 ch stereo you can change the front/rear bias. Essentially changing the db levels of the speakers in pairs.

post #1001 of 1463 Old 04-18-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:

All DSP modes are customizable. You cant change the db levels but in 7 ch stereo you can change the front/rear bias. Essentially changing the db levels of the speakers in pairs.

Ok thanks, and in "customizable" if the db levels cannot be changed, in what other ways is it customizable then?
post #1002 of 1463 Old 04-18-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Look for "Configuring Sound Programs" in your Owners manual. It is well explained there.

post #1003 of 1463 Old 04-18-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:

Ok...got the 7 ch Stereo customized but I guess the STRAIGHT mode is not a DSP mode as it cannot be customized as the other modes can.
post #1004 of 1463 Old 04-18-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMike View Post

Ok...got the 7 ch Stereo customized but I guess the STRAIGHT mode is not a DSP mode as it cannot be customized as the other modes can.
Correct.

post #1005 of 1463 Old 04-18-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:

Correct.

Yeah, you kind of threw me when you said "all dsp modes are customizable" which was the reply to my question of STRAIGHT and 7 CH Stereo.

But I got that one figured out now.

Thank you
post #1006 of 1463 Old 04-18-2014, 05:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMike View Post

Yeah, you kind of threw me when you said "all dsp modes are customizable" which was the reply to my question of STRAIGHT and 7 CH Stereo.

But I got that one figured out now.

Thank you
yw Straight by definition bypasses the Digital Signal Processor and is therefore not a DSP mode. It only passes the existing signal "straight" through.

post #1007 of 1463 Old 04-19-2014, 02:44 PM

I'm wondering if I got a bad receiver. My lipsync issues isn't consistent and occasionally i'll be watching something (tv shows) even movies and the codec will switch between dolby digital and pro logic. every 5 seconds or so. Once the picture just turned off on me. Is this a directv thing or the receiver? I can't imagine a movie on hbo would switch between 5.1 and stereo like that.

Vizio m55
Yamaha v475
PS4, AppleTV, DirecTV
post #1008 of 1463 Old 04-19-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacc Attack View Post

I'm wondering if I got a bad receiver. My lipsync issues isn't consistent and occasionally i'll be watching something (tv shows) even movies and the codec will switch between dolby digital and pro logic. every 5 seconds or so. Once the picture just turned off on me. Is this a directv thing or the receiver? I can't imagine a movie on hbo would switch between 5.1 and stereo like that.
Normal.
Lipsync will vary by source.
Its switching between displaying DD and PL because the movie is 2.0. Its not really switching codecs.

post #1009 of 1463 Old 04-20-2014, 07:23 AM

Hi folks.  About to pull the trigger on a V675 but I have a setup question that I'm hoping someone can give me some insight on.  I am envisioning setting up a 7.1 setup in my main room with front presence speakers in addition to center and left/right speakers in front and back left/right back surround speakers.  I also have a Zone2 that I would like to send music out to my patio area.  It would be nice but not crucial to send a different signal out there than in the main room (not a deal breaker by any stretch).  Looking at the speaker connections in the back, it appears that the receiver wants to connect Zone2 and Front Presence speakers to the same terminal.  Meanwhile the connectors for the "surround back/bi-amp" are not connected to anything.  Is it possible to reassign Zone2 or the Presence speakers to the unused terminal?  Or am I stuck using a speaker selector or a second amp connected to the "Zone2 out" RCA port?

Thanks for any help!

post #1010 of 1463 Old 04-20-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:

I wanted to follow-up and ask for some more advice.  I have disabled ARC and manually turned HDMI control off then back on for each input with no change.  I continue to get video but no audio through my AVR when any device turns on the AVR via HDMI control.  After manually turning the receiver off and back on the input works again.  This happens with both our PS4 and Chromecast.  Anything else to try?

post #1011 of 1463 Old 04-20-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I wanted to follow-up and ask for some more advice.  I have disabled ARC and manually turned HDMI control off then back on for each input with no change.  I continue to get video but no audio through my AVR when any device turns on the AVR via HDMI control.  After manually turning the receiver off and back on the input works again.  This happens with both our PS4 and Chromecast.  Anything else to try?
You have some sort of a handshake issue. Turn HDMI Control off in all devices and buy a universal remote.

post #1012 of 1463 Old 04-20-2014, 05:31 PM

I read the manual and I dont think it's possible. But my nintendo wii is the only device I have that uses component cables. I was hoping the component in would still transmit video to my tv via my hdmi out. Guess not? anyone know if there's some trick?

Vizio m55
Yamaha v475
PS4, AppleTV, DirecTV
post #1013 of 1463 Old 04-20-2014, 06:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I read the manual and I dont think it's possible. But my nintendo wii is the only device I have that uses component cables. I was hoping the component in would still transmit video to my tv via my hdmi out. Guess not? anyone know if there's some trick?
Set the Wii to output 480i.

post #1014 of 1463 Old 04-20-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:

You have some sort of a handshake issue. Turn HDMI Control off in all devices and buy a universal remote.

Frustrating that there is no fixing this - thanks for the feedback.

post #1015 of 1463 Old 04-21-2014, 07:14 AM

(Posted in the MA thread as well - but its the Yamaha settings i'm asking about really)

Hello everyone, I have just completed my 5.0 setup.

For those on mobiles i have: Yamaha RX V-475, Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 Speakers, Monitor Audio Bronze BX Centre & Monitor Audio Bronze BRFX Rears.

I got the BRFX rears used for £80, they are Bipole/Dipole (previous model to the matching BXFX rears.)

I have a couple of Q's

1. The Nominal Impedance is 6 on my BRFX http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/support/past-products/bronze-br/brfx/#/specification but 8 on the matching BXFX's http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/bronze-bx/bxfx/#/specification. I don't understand the Nominal Impedance differerence.

2. Drive Unit Complement (again, no idea) is different.

3. Is there anything i need to do/adjust on my AVR before using them because of this.

When i've got them on the walls i'll get some positioning help too.

Yamaha RX V-475

Monitor Audio Bronze BX2   Speakers

Monitor Audio Bronze BX     Centre

Monitor Audio Bronze BRFX Rears

FAT PS3

Sans subwoofer

post #1016 of 1463 Old 04-21-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:

Set the Wii to output 480i.

I'm pretty sure it's set to do that automatically? Anyhow I can't change the settings until I can see the options menu on the tv anyhow. And the manual doesn't mention anything about composite in, hdmi out. I suppose I can just hook it into the tv and use ARC... just wanted to keep my system simple.

Vizio m55
Yamaha v475
PS4, AppleTV, DirecTV
post #1017 of 1463 Old 04-21-2014, 07:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjitb View Post

(Posted in the MA thread as well - but its the Yamaha settings i'm asking about really)

Hello everyone, I have just completed my 5.0 setup.
For those on mobiles i have: Yamaha RX V-475, Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 Speakers, Monitor Audio Bronze BX Centre & Monitor Audio Bronze BRFX Rears.
I got the BRFX rears used for £80, they are Bipole/Dipole (previous model to the matching BXFX rears.)
I have a couple of Q's

1. The Nominal Impedance is 6 on my BRFX http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/support/past-products/bronze-br/brfx/#/specification but 8 on the matching BXFX's http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/bronze-bx/bxfx/#/specification. I don't understand the Nominal Impedance differerence.

2. Drive Unit Complement (again, no idea) is different.

3. Is there anything i need to do/adjust on my AVR before using them because of this.

When i've got them on the walls i'll get some positioning help too.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nominal_impedance
The Yamaha is set to 8 Ohm by default. That will work fine so you dont have to make any changes.
I have no idea what Drive Unit Complement is. Sounds like a marketing buzzword from Monitor Audio. Might want to ask them.
Benjitb likes this.

post #1018 of 1463 Old 04-21-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm pretty sure it's set to do that automatically? Anyhow I can't change the settings until I can see the options menu on the tv anyhow. And the manual doesn't mention anything about composite in, hdmi out. I suppose I can just hook it into the tv and use ARC... just wanted to keep my system simple.
You may be right. I dont have a Wii. But Ive heard people say that the Yamaha will only upconvert the video if its 480i or 480p. I cant remember which. The upconversion chart is in the Owners manual.
Seems like others have mentioned a composite to HDMI convertor as well. Might want to look into that.

post #1019 of 1463 Old 04-21-2014, 07:56 AM

for the 2 times a year that i fire up the wii, it's not worth a hole lot of effort smile.gif
when i look at the specs, it appears the 475 doesn't offer upconversion so it must not do passthrough either.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RXV475/Yamaha-RX-V475.html?tp=179

thanks for the help

Vizio m55
Yamaha v475
PS4, AppleTV, DirecTV
post #1020 of 1463 Old 04-21-2014, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I just picked up a rx-v475 refurbed for 200 bucks. I am using this reciever in kind of an odd location. This is going to power my 5.1 (or soon to be 5.1) setup in my bar area that I am building in my basement. the shape of the room is first of all odd. It's an L shaped basement and the bar will be in the back corner of the L. So the speaker locations are not what you would see typically in a square room so using the automatated setup thing isn't best for setup in my situation. For the main use of this reciever I have it hooked up to an old dell inspirion all in one touch screen PC that is mounted on the wall and is acting as a JukeBox running a software called album player. I have it connected using a simple 3.5mm to rca cable as this pc is limited in any other type of output. I think it sounds pretty good but I'd like to tweak the speaker setup and EQ. Does anyone have any reccomendations on settings or EQ settings? Iv'e gone through the menues and it's a bit confusing. I turned up the levels on all my speakers to almost full as before it seemed that I had to really crank the volume to get the sound to close to "loud". I'm guessing there are some way's to really tweak the eq to help with this as well but it's pretty obscure to me as a newbie when it comes to recievers. any advice would be appreciated.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V775wa 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V575 7 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V675 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V475 5 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V375 5 1 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page