post #1171 of 1390 Old 05-08-2014, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by luza View Post

Well I tried wiring my phone to the 2 audio inputs in the back. No dice. Will try with my PS4 when I get it next week.

Sorry, I missed that. I would contact Yamaha support.

Samsung PN50C7000
Yamaha RX-V775WA
BIC Venturi DV64 Towers
BIC Venturi DV62 CLRs Center

Still building but sounds amazing so far
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1390 Old 05-09-2014, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I kind of skimmed your post, but do you have other speakers (even cheapos) you can try to rule out any damage to them during transport?

Vizio m55
Yamaha v475
Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.0, BIC F12
PS4, AppleTV, DirecTV
post #1173 of 1390 Old 05-09-2014, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If i were to buy a NAS (with DNLA) drive, put flac on, plug it into my router with my 475 attached via ethernet cable and a bluetooth dongle attached to the 475.

1. With the PC off can i control my library of flac in the NAS via my android smartphone through the dongle and use it as a "jukebox" to play the flac/mp3?

2. I was recommended the cheaper: http://www.amazon.co.uk/HomeSpot-NFC-enabled-Bluetooth-Receiver-System/dp/B009OBCAW2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1399486971&sr=8-4&keywords=Bluetooth+Audio+Receiver over the yamaha's: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-YBA-11-Bluetooth-Adaptor/dp/B00BWEUNAA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399487329&sr=8-1&keywords=yamaha+bluetooth.

Any other recommendations. (USA or UK shops).

3. I know this may not be the perfect forum, but i'm a novice with NAS (with DNLA) drives any good budget recommendations?

Yamaha RX V-475

Monitor Audio Bronze BX2   Speakers

Monitor Audio Bronze BX     Centre

Monitor Audio Bronze BRFX Rears

FAT PS3

Sans subwoofer

post #1174 of 1390 Old 05-09-2014, 12:41 PM

Liked: 13
I use a Western Digital NAS to store all my music files, including FLAC and it works great my RX-V475. You can also use your computer as a DLNA server, but that means it has to be on. The WD NAS box does not use much power and I always leave it on. I also use it to stream video to my Yamaha BD player.

You can completely control the RX-V475 from your Android using the Yamaha AV Controller app. It controls the receiver via your WiFi network. You can select the input to be "Server" and then choose your DLNA server and which songs or playlist you'd like to play. I've streamed 24bit/96kHZ FLAC files from the NAS to the receiver and they sounded great.

With this kind of setup, I'm not sure why you'd want Bluetooth?
Benjitb likes this.
post #1175 of 1390 Old 05-09-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyr1955 View Post

I use a Western Digital NAS to store all my music files, including FLAC and it works great my RX-V475. You can also use your computer as a DLNA server, but that means it has to be on. The WD NAS box does not use much power and I always leave it on. I also use it to stream video to my Yamaha BD player.

You can completely control the RX-V475 from your Android using the Yamaha AV Controller app. It controls the receiver via your WiFi network. You can select the input to be "Server" and then choose your DLNA server and which songs or playlist you'd like to play. I've streamed 24bit/96kHZ FLAC files from the NAS to the receiver and they sounded great.

With this kind of setup, I'm not sure why you'd want Bluetooth?

Hi Tony, thanks. That WD is exactly the one i was looking at, but i didn't want to spend £107 on that and £48 on the Yam dongle to find out it didn't work.(you use the Yamaha one then?)

1. I don't "want bluetooth" for sending music to the AVR, but though i'd need the bluetooth dongle to control what album/songs to play from the WD NAS via the Yamaha apps interface on the ios smartphone/ or does the App you said allow for this WITHOUT the yamaha dongle?

2. Can i just confirm that with the PC off I CAN use the 475 and WD NAS to navigate/play a music library.

Yamaha RX V-475

FAT PS3

Sans subwoofer

post #1176 of 1390 Old 05-09-2014, 01:27 PM

Hi, in your first post, you said "android smartphone" and in the second "ios smartphone" (aka iPhone). I can't confirm that Yamaha has an app for the iPhone that can do everything the Android one does, but I'd be surprised if they didn't. Anyway, using the Android app, I can browse my music collection on the WD NAS and select which song/album/playlist to play. The only requirement is that your phone is on the same WiFi network. No Bluetooth dongle is required!

BTW, Bluetooth is limited to 768 kbps and CD quality FLAC files are close to 1000 kbps, so you won't get full fidelity from a BT connection.

The only reason I can think of for a BT dongle would be to play a streaming service, such as Google Play Music or some other service not supported by the RX-V475. For those, I decided to use a Google Chromecast dongle that plugs into one of the HDMI ports on the 475.
Benjitb likes this.
post #1177 of 1390 Old 05-09-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:

Hi, in your first post, you said "android smartphone" and in the second "ios smartphone" (aka iPhone). I can't confirm that Yamaha has an app for the iPhone that can do everything the Android one does, but I'd be surprised if they didn't. Anyway, using the Android app, I can browse my music collection on the WD NAS and select which song/album/playlist to play. The only requirement is that your phone is on the same WiFi network. No Bluetooth dongle is required!

BTW, Bluetooth is limited to 768 kbps and CD quality FLAC files are close to 1000 kbps, so you won't get full fidelity from a BT connection.

The only reason I can think of for a BT dongle would be to play a streaming service, such as Google Play Music or some other service not supported by the RX-V475. For those, I decided to use a Google Chromecast dongle that plugs into one of the HDMI ports on the 475.

Hi Tony, well done for spotting that, i was distracted and put the wrong op (android/apple). I do have an android, i installed all the apps a while ago, but have been too busy getting my speakers all set up  (buying and installing, tv/speaker stands/cables!) that I decided to leave something to savour at the end. The Networking.

That is great news that i don't require the Dongle for what i want to do, thanks for that, you've saved me some cash, I was told previously i needed it to use the phone to conrol the NAS.

Thanks for wrapping that up. I'll invest in the NAS soon. Yet ANOTHER £100+. When will this endevour end!

EDIT: I've read some revies that the WD NAS can be laggy when streaming HD movies, how have you found it?

greenhavenn likes this.

Yamaha RX V-475

FAT PS3

Sans subwoofer

post #1178 of 1390 Old 05-09-2014, 03:29 PM

Ben,
I have never had any trouble streaming HD MKVs, even ones ripped from BluRay. This particular WD NAS has a gigabit Ethernet connection and I can easily transfer files at 240Mbps between my computer and the NAS drive. HD Video needs at least 20Mbps. My guess is that the people running into problems are trying to run the stream over an older WiFi connection running at 54Mbps. There's not much room for any sort of interference or competing traffic in that case. My network uses a wired connection (at 100Mbps) to the BluRay player.
Benjitb likes this.
post #1179 of 1390 Old 05-09-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:

Ben,
I have never had any trouble streaming HD MKVs, even ones ripped from BluRay. This particular WD NAS has a gigabit Ethernet connection and I can easily transfer files at 240Mbps between my computer and the NAS drive. HD Video needs at least 20Mbps. My guess is that the people running into problems are trying to run the stream over an older WiFi connection running at 54Mbps. There's not much room for any sort of interference or competing traffic in that case. My network uses a wired connection (at 100Mbps) to the BluRay player.

I think you're right. I'd be using wired connections so that should be just fine.

Thanks for your help, have a great weekend.

EDIT: Curious, what speakers are you running with your 475 Tony?

Yamaha RX V-475

FAT PS3

Sans subwoofer

post #1180 of 1390 Old 05-10-2014, 06:35 AM

Liked: 10
Hi there,

I have a Rx v375, got it for Christmas. In January it had a repeated 'check sp wires' error messages. I checked all the speaker wires and after having completely unwired and rewired it, it worked well until last week.

I tried to connect a video camera via the component video connection, that didn't work so I gave up, but ever since I've been having the same check sp wires message when the volume goes slightly loud.

Initially I thought I'd loosened a connection when I pulled it out to connect the video camera, but I have just unplugged ALL cables from the back and when I run the test sound, the amp still cuts out with the same 'check sp wires' error message, but there are no wires connected!!!

This suggests to me that the problem is with the amp, not my speakers or cable, but any thoughts or experience would be most welcome.

Thanks

Mike
post #1181 of 1390 Old 05-10-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgparnott View Post

Hi there,

I have a Rx v375, got it for Christmas. In January it had a repeated 'check sp wires' error messages. I checked all the speaker wires and after having completely unwired and rewired it, it worked well until last week.

I tried to connect a video camera via the component video connection, that didn't work so I gave up, but ever since I've been having the same check sp wires message when the volume goes slightly loud.

Initially I thought I'd loosened a connection when I pulled it out to connect the video camera, but I have just unplugged ALL cables from the back and when I run the test sound, the amp still cuts out with the same 'check sp wires' error message, but there are no wires connected!!!

This suggests to me that the problem is with the amp, not my speakers or cable, but any thoughts or experience would be most welcome.

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike, i think the "error" is a speaker wire error, caused by a short or perceived short.

You say: "the amp still cuts out with the same 'check sp wires' error message, but there are no wires connected!!!"

Sounds like you can have ruled out any error on your part, the problem is the AVR and you should contact Yamaha/ the shop for a replacement.

Alternatively i would say: Are you using banana plugs or not? Check again that no loose strands are "straying" to other connections on all speakers/connections. Do this one at a time then turn the system on and off trying to fing the wire(s) causing the problem. If you have any wires in walls/along walls double check them. If thats all correct and the problem persists, rule out the speakers as a source of error by hooking up some others to the AVR.

But you seem to have done that, and it worked for a week. You didn't say you'd found the source of the problem a week ago so the same wire(s) may have coincidently come loose.

Good luck

Yamaha RX V-475

FAT PS3

Sans subwoofer

post #1182 of 1390 Old 05-10-2014, 01:39 PM

Thanks for that. Yes it still happens even when no speakers connected. Going to contact Yamaha!
post #1183 of 1390 Old 05-10-2014, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

So far I am really loving the RX-V775WA except for one issue. I keep getting an access error message when listening to Pandora. It works fine for a couple of hours, but then it quits. Yamaha supports thinks it might be the wireless adapter but I am not so sure since I can listen to Net Radio with no problem when this happens (though occasionally my phone is not able to find the receiver through the Yamaha app unless I manually enter the IP address). To fix this, I have to disable network standby (or whatever the network feature is that allows you to turn the receiver on through your phone), turn off the receiver, then turn it back on. If network standby is enabled, I have to turn the receiver off, unplug the wireless bridge for 30 seconds, plug it back in, then turn the receiver back on.

When I had it running over a wire, I did not notice this issue but I will be trying it again.

I am guessing the issue is a mixture of my FIOS wireless router and the Pandora implementation in the receiver, but I don't know what settings I need to adjust to improve performance.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Samsung PN50C7000
Yamaha RX-V775WA
BIC Venturi DV64 Towers

post #1184 of 1390 Old 05-10-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

Look under Video Out in the Input Menu (page 83 of the manual). You specify which HDMI input is to be used for video while playing a particular audio source (such as a network source). Then when you select the audio source the video will play from the HDMI input you specified.

I have tried that but you cannot select spotify connect as an audio output. Still stuck sadly :-(
post #1185 of 1390 Old 05-11-2014, 03:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-p View Post

I have tried that but you cannot select spotify connect as an audio output. Still stuck sadly :-(
Might be because Spotify isnt really completely internal to the receiver like Pandora and Rhapsody. It only gives you the capability to stream Spotify from an external device. What model do you have?

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #1186 of 1390 Old 05-11-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-p View Post

When they added Spotify support in the firmware update they didn't add any more choices for Video Out. Maybe setting Video Out for AirPlay also works for Spotify (just guessing), otherwise I would ask Yamaha about it (maybe it's something they could add).

The easiest place to try all these things is the web setup interface (ipaddress/Setup/). Under System / Input_Output / Assign / Video_Out, try setting a video output for all the listed audio sources just in case one of them also works for Spotify.
post #1187 of 1390 Old 05-11-2014, 09:02 AM

I turned the equalizer off. Then ran YPAO  and it has set the [Equalizer->PEQ] automatically. Any idea why?

Rears are dipole (out of phase).

Yamaha RX V-475

FAT PS3

Sans subwoofer

post #1188 of 1390 Old 05-11-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjitb View Post

I turned the equalizer off. Then ran YPAO  and it has set the [Equalizer->PEQ] automatically. Any idea why?
Rears are dipole (out of phase).
Normal. Part of the reason to run YPAO is the eq the speakers. Just turn it Off again.

post #1189 of 1390 Old 05-11-2014, 06:41 PM

Liked: 22
Is this thread also good for rx-v377 owners?
post #1190 of 1390 Old 05-12-2014, 01:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkManX View Post

Is this thread also good for rx-v377 owners?
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531370/yamaha-rx-v-77-series-owners-thread

post #1191 of 1390 Old 05-12-2014, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I'm getting a RX-V675, how does the Spotify work on it? After connecting Ethernet, do I just go to say the Spotify app on the remote and login and play whatever songs I want?
post #1192 of 1390 Old 05-12-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNZi View Post

I'm getting a RX-V675, how does the Spotify work on it? After connecting Ethernet, do I just go to say the Spotify app on the remote and login and play whatever songs I want?
No. You have to have a paid subscription. Then you can only stream to the 675 with an external device (pc, tablet, etc.).

post #1193 of 1390 Old 05-12-2014, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Question about Yamaha AV Controller App. It's downloaded to my S5 and my galaxy pad but if "stuck" in DEMO mode!
How have folks "enabled" it? so it works?

THE BIG ROOM:
Mitsy DLP 73837
Xbox
PS3 slim
Panny BD 220
Yamaha 775WA and Emotiva UPA7 for 9.2
Klipsch F3 FL/R, G-28 C, RS3C, FH's , RS3II SL/R, SLX SRL/R
2 30" BF THTLP'S with BASH 300 behind MLP
LG Media Player access to 3T drives

Da Cave ((9''8" x 11')
Panny 55" S1 , BD 220
Onkyo 160 7.1
Klips...
post #1194 of 1390 Old 05-12-2014, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post

Question about Yamaha AV Controller App. It's downloaded to my S5 and my galaxy pad but if "stuck" in DEMO mode!
How have folks "enabled" it? so it works?

Your receiver must be connected to the network, either by wireless or hard wire. If that's done, then check network Standby and make sure it's on (otherwise you must turn on the receiver manually). If you are still unable to connect, you can clear the app cache on your phone or try restarting it or just enter the IP address manually.

Samsung PN50C7000
Yamaha RX-V775WA
BIC Venturi DV64 Towers

post #1195 of 1390 Old 05-12-2014, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
thanks for a swift reply, let you know how that works.
I do have a wireless connection for the avr.;

THE BIG ROOM:
Mitsy DLP 73837
Xbox
PS3 slim
Panny BD 220
Yamaha 775WA and Emotiva UPA7 for 9.2
Klipsch F3 FL/R, G-28 C, RS3C, FH's , RS3II SL/R, SLX SRL/R
2 30" BF THTLP'S with BASH 300 behind MLP
LG Media Player access to 3T drives

Da Cave ((9''8" x 11')
Panny 55" S1 , BD 220
Onkyo 160 7.1
Klips...
post #1196 of 1390 Old 05-13-2014, 01:20 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

No. You have to have a paid subscription. Then you can only stream to the 675 with an external device (pc, tablet, etc.).

Ok, I've got Spotify on my iPhone 5S and HTC One (M7), should that work pretty straightforward?
post #1197 of 1390 Old 05-13-2014, 04:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNZi View Post

Ok, I've got Spotify on my iPhone 5S and HTC One (M7), should that work pretty straightforward?
Yes

post #1198 of 1390 Old 05-13-2014, 09:00 AM

is there a display setting similar to that which displays which audio codec is being used that allows you to see what resolution video is passing through? I'm messing around with some netflix streaming and i'm curious about what resolution i'm getting sometimes.

Vizio m55
Yamaha v475
PS4, AppleTV, DirecTV
post #1199 of 1390 Old 05-13-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacc Attack View Post

is there a display setting similar to that which displays which audio codec is being used that allows you to see what resolution video is passing through? I'm messing around with some netflix streaming and i'm curious about what resolution i'm getting sometimes.
Menu > Information > Video Signal
Most devices also have an Info button you can press when watching Netflix that will tell you also.

post #1200 of 1390 Old 05-13-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Menu > Information > Video Signal
Most devices also have an Info button you can press when watching Netflix that will tell you also.

is it reactive? meaning it will update as the quality of the stream changes?

Vizio m55
Yamaha v475
PS4, AppleTV, DirecTV
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V775wa 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V575 7 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V675 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V475 5 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V375 5 1 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page