Yamaha RX-V 75 Series owners thread - Page 42 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1231 of 2795 Old 05-26-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipper57 View Post

recently purchased the yamaha 575 reciever and noticed when playing blurays and using standard dsp mode the osd reads dts but if i go to straight mode it shows dts master.is this normal ? would like to use the dsp modes and get hi-def audio.thanks for any help i can get.

It doesn't have the processing power to decode DTS-HD and also apply the DSP mode, so it decodes only the core DTS track. There's a brief note in the manual on page 38.

If you want both, then set your Blu-ray player to decode to PCM. You won't lose any quality, and you'll be able to choose any DSP mode on the Yamaha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 2795 Old 05-26-2014, 11:23 AM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
thanks for your reply will try that out.
post #1233 of 2795 Old 05-26-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

It doesn't have the processing power to decode DTS-HD and also apply the DSP mode, so it decodes only the core DTS track. There's a brief note in the manual on page 38.

If you want both, then set your Blu-ray player to decode to PCM. You won't lose any quality, and you'll be able to choose any DSP mode on the Yamaha.
Never noticed that. Thanks for the tip.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #1234 of 2795 Old 05-27-2014, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Does anyone remember the old days when equalizers were an integral part of any build? I seem to remember how commonplace it would be to wire one in with other equipment, but seems not anymore. I recently purchased an EQ/spectrum analyzer circa 1980's from Teac (EQA 20). I didn't realize that my 475 already had an onboard equalizer, but it's only 5 band and This is10! Does anyone have the prowess/time to troubleshoot issues with me as there is no manual and I'm out of answers? I've taken the time and have Past knowledge on how to integrate electronically, but I can't seem to get Proper performance. Everything else is wired HDMI and this is the only analog connection in and out. Maybe it comes down to a setting I missed in the receiver back office, but I Get 0 gain or loss upon activating and deactivating the equalizer, and the only spectrum display comes with Radio tuner only. Thanks to anyone who takes the time here.

post #1235 of 2795 Old 05-27-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

You can't really make use of that device because all your HDMI inputs stay digital. The receiver won't output anything in analog when it's from a digital input. How exactly do you have it hooked up right now?

Also the 475 already has 7 bands of manual EQ for all 5 channels, and if you run YPAO the automatic EQ is even better (it's a parametric EQ with finer control over the filter frequencies).
post #1236 of 2795 Old 05-28-2014, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygirlzdad View Post

Have a noob question: Just hooked my 675 and did the YPAO setup. All devices, Blu-Ray, Roku, Sammy set top box, and Sammy LED, are connected with HDMI. Running 5.1 but noticed that the sub isn't putting out any sound.
Went into set up and found that YPAO set my speakers to Large. Went into manual setup and changed them to small, saved it and then did a test tone. My sub is set to Use, and shows as being part of the system. However, when using the test tone all speakers produce a sound but the sub doesn't.
Don't know what's goin on. Can anyone help with this?

had a similar issue when i first set up my 475. Turning on "extra bass" or whatever the setting is... or maybe is says something about a subwoofer did the trick. Since, I've been able to change that on and off and it still works. I've noticed the yamaha can take a second to get things working when you first set it up. Check your db level as well. for some reason ypao set mine at -10 and i couldn't get any bass at all. make sure your volume is high enough for the sub to recognize it. on low volume my bic f12 doesn't pick up lfe. Make sure your sub settings are correct for what you're doing as well. My bic has a few options for polarity and a quick start for what to set your sub at depending on how you have it hooked up. iirc, it's set up to let the receiver control it so I think it was to turn volume at medium and frequency all the way up.

Vizio m55
Yamaha v475
Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.0, BIC F12
PS4, AppleTV, DirecTV
post #1237 of 2795 Old 05-28-2014, 04:17 PM

As for connections they follow:
MONITOR OUT left/right on equalizer to back panel Yamaha audio in (#10 on user manual back panel description)
LINE 1 in left/right on equalizer to back panel Yamaha audio out (#9 on user manual back panel description)
I have the following buttons depressed as I would understand sensible:
MONITOR EQ pre-vs. post = Post (understanding output equalized sound & analyzer would be after equalization)
INPUT line vs. tape = line (assuming line 1 in above & amplifier is in use not tape deck)
LINE = line 1 vs. line 2
MONITOR source vs. tape = source
RECORD EQ matters not
TAPE DUB  matters not

as per the Yamaha amplifier Electives, under the "setup" button I see where HDMI connections may play a role but not sure how selection effects output. Also under "options" button I see where AUDIO option can be changed which would seem to have some affect but not sure what. Otherwise, the ANALOG button on the remote creates a steady reverberation through the speakers as does changing the aforementioned audio option.

As previously stated the only time I see the spectrum analyzer kick in is using FM tuner and no other devices, and even then I detect 0 gain or loss.

I read up on the YPAO configuration at set up and was relegated to forgoing the effort as my circumstance makes it near impossible to do so without lots of assistance from people that know even less than I about such matters. I couldn't afford to pay them for the gesture. However you are right and I stand corrected; 7 band equalizer and I suppose I'll be using it more frequently now.

Hope this helps. So in the end what you're suggesting is with all my digital aspirations I've created an analog void where the equalizer is useless. But I guess that saves me from having to replace the missing slider knobs and the ongoing frustration of what I'm doing wrong unless you tell me otherwise. I guess it's off to craigslist to resell it at a loss due to my own misguided Intentions. I wait to hear back but thanks for the prescription.

Thomas J

post #1238 of 2795 Old 05-28-2014, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

In the world of HDMI sources, an analog equalizer can really only work if you put it between the pre-amp outputs (which you don't have on your 475, they start with the 775) and an external power amp. The pre-outs are the only analog outputs (except for the speaker terminals) that work for all inputs.

The way you have things connected will work only for stereo sources using analog inputs. You could run an extra stereo analog cable from each HDMI device, assuming they also have analog audio outputs, but that's a downgrade for watching movies (assuming you have more than 2 speakers connected) since you lose the surround sound.

Personally I would forget about trying to use the external EQ. And running YPAO is as simple as plugging in the supplied mic, placing it at your normal listening position, and everything else is automatic. You don't have to keep the YPAO result, but it's useful to compare what it did with no EQ (or your manual EQ efforts).
post #1239 of 2795 Old 05-29-2014, 12:56 PM

Point taken, digested & applied. Thanks for all the wisdom. Will see to this outcome via your guidance tonight. Best wishes… Thomas J.

post #1240 of 2795 Old 05-29-2014, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the tips. I did get the sub to work by changing the Fronts to Small and changing the sub setting from -10 to -3.5. When I select information on the screen it shows 5.1 audio input from the set top box and the sub is working fine.

I do have other questions though. All my playback devices are connected to the 675 with HDMI cables and a HDMI out to the TV. Right now all is working fine. However, after I shut the system down, such as overnight, when I turn it on to the set top box, I only have sound from my center channel. No sub, no surround speakers, and no fronts. Not sure in what order to turn on the equipment, not even sure that is the issue.
What I end up doing is select the Roku input and start a movie that has HD5.1 in it's title and everything works fine. I then select the set top box and everything works just fine. I don't understand what's happening.
I'm really at a loss here to what is going on.
post #1241 of 2795 Old 05-30-2014, 05:34 AM

675 on the way from Amazon right now.

Having 2nd thoughts as I read the manual on zone 2 operation and if it'll do what I want.

Yes, I searched but didn't really find a clear answer.

I basically need it to operate as a "B" speakers. Output same as mains. I play music/stream over an HDMI connection to the receiver. But I know it won't pass a digital signal to zone 2 normally. So is this what the "Party" function is for? That says it makes everything in stereo then? Will my sub still work with music in main zone that way?

Sorry for this but I'm confused.....

My other option was the new Pioneer 1124, but the 675 was only $380 on amazon.

Thanks,
Scott
post #1242 of 2795 Old 05-30-2014, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

^ Party Mode will do what you want, but unfortunately the 675 doesn't have Party Mode (you need the 775 or higher for that).
post #1243 of 2795 Old 05-30-2014, 06:44 AM

Arrgh.....thanks.
post #1244 of 2795 Old 05-31-2014, 08:50 PM

I just picked up this piece and set up my system. I configured it and did a sound test, subwoofer works just fine. However, whenever I exit the menu, the subwoofer icon no longer gets displayed on the receiver and I am no longer receive bass. Am I doing something wrong?

post #1245 of 2795 Old 05-31-2014, 10:15 PM
uh2

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltik View Post

Thanks gec - helpful, would love to just select airplay on my iphone and have the receiver wake from standby... but wishful thinking

My 475 wakes from standby whenever I select it in iTunes. There's a setting in the network section I believe that enables this.

I just wish it would turn itself back OFF when I was done.
post #1246 of 2795 Old 06-01-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undispu7ed View Post

I just picked up this piece and set up my system. I configured it and did a sound test, subwoofer works just fine. However, whenever I exit the menu, the subwoofer icon no longer gets displayed on the receiver and I am no longer receive bass. Am I doing something wrong?

If you're playing a two channel source (e.g. stereo music) the subwoofer won't be used unless your main speakers are set as Small in the menu (you can also turn on Extra Bass to make the sub play when speakers are set as Large, but it's generally recommended just to set all speakers as Small).
Undispu7ed likes this.
post #1247 of 2795 Old 06-01-2014, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Does anybody know the difference between the 475 and the 500D?
post #1248 of 2795 Old 06-01-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamran000 View Post

Does anybody know the difference between the 475 and the 500D?

The 500D seems to add digital radio (DAB tuner)
post #1249 of 2795 Old 06-01-2014, 10:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just picked up a 675 from Amazon and am wondering about AirPlay for Zone 2. Manual states that "AirPlay is available in Zone2 only when AirPlay playback is ongoing in the main zone." Does that mean that the main zone actually has to be operational or just that I have to have AirPlay selected in the main zone to use it in the second zone? Bottom line is that I want to keep the main zone off and listen to the AirPlay source in Zone2 using speakers connected to the unit's Zone2 speaker outputs. Worst case scenario, I could just turn the volume in the main zone to zero, but I'm curious if it would work with the main zone off. Depending on how this works, I may return the 675 and get a Pioneer 1123 if it will do what I want- same price basically - $390.

Side note: i'm surprised that you need a 775 to use what they call "Party mode" which was pretty much a standard feature for years on multi-zone receivers. Also surprised that you can't have a digital source in the main zone copied to the zone 2 outputs like my Anthem AVM-20 does (apparently most receivers no longer do this - I thought it may be a copy protection issue, but it can't be since you can obviously output the signal through preamp outputs in the main zone).
post #1250 of 2795 Old 06-02-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

If you're playing a two channel source (e.g. stereo music) the subwoofer won't be used unless your main speakers are set as Small in the menu (you can also turn on Extra Bass to make the sub play when speakers are set as Large, but it's generally recommended just to set all speakers as Small).

Thanks, this worked.

post #1251 of 2795 Old 06-03-2014, 02:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

post #1252 of 2795 Old 06-03-2014, 04:27 AM

Liked: 19
Got for the same price a few weeks back. Looks like they're trying to get rid of last years model. Still haven't sat down and fully ran the eq program.

Nearly all men can stand adversity , but if you want to test a man's character , give him power.
Abraham Lincoln.
post #1253 of 2795 Old 06-03-2014, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Is the 775 worth $100 more than the 675? Doesn't seem like it as I don't need the wifi adapter nor do I need simultaneous HD outputs. Party mode seems to be the only real added feature, but there are ways around that issue. Am I missing something? Thanks!
post #1254 of 2795 Old 06-03-2014, 12:39 PM

Getting my 475 soon. On my sub manual it says 'left and right signals are fed independently to the speaker and are not electrically summed'. Does this mean I will have to plug 2rca cables into the back of the sub and have the other end go to a MALE RCA to 2 FEMALE RCA?
post #1255 of 2795 Old 06-03-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Getting my 475 soon. On my sub manual it says 'left and right signals are fed independently to the speaker and are not electrically summed'. Does this mean I will have to plug 2rca cables into the back of the sub and have the other end go to a MALE RCA to 2 FEMALE RCA?
Huh? Are you plugging your speakers into your subwoofer?

post #1256 of 2795 Old 06-03-2014, 01:47 PM

No. It says when connecting the subwoofer to the receiver ''connecting left and right cables to the LINE IN connectors if preferred (left and right signals are fed independently to the speaker) and are not electrically summed''
post #1257 of 2795 Old 06-03-2014, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post

Other than party mode and multi position ypao both receivers menu is the same. Hardware wise the second hdmi out and especially full preamp outs are a step up. Amazon has the 675 for $380. When newegg has the 775 for $450 it is a decent buy.

Here is the deal with airplay independent zone 2 operation. Yamaha only provided that on the 773/675/6065/7065 models. None of the 2013/14 models have that capability. Not even the Aventage line. There is a simple solution. Use server input with dlna (windows media player etc.) instead. Works the same way and on every 2 zone model.

Thanks for that info - very helpful. Still not sure if I should return the 675 and get the 775 just to have the extra features since I will likely never use them (this unit will run the master BR/bath (hence the zone 2 questions)) so no separate amp in the foreseeable future. I am upgrading my current unit which doesn't have HDMI since the price of a blu ray player with analog audio outputs is getting ridiculous. Total upgrade cost to 775 would be $50 since no tax at NewEgg and I could probably recoup that by selling the wifi adapter. Decisions, decisions.....

EDIT: Moot point as 775 is no longer available at NewEgg. biggrin.gif
post #1258 of 2795 Old 06-03-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by HofstraJet View Post

EDIT: Moot point as 775 is no longer available at NewEgg. biggrin.gif
The price for the 775 keeps bouncing around. Didn't stay at $450 for very long as usual. Corrected a wrong model #. 675 was wrong. The 675 and 775 are exactly the same performance wise. Keep the 675.
post #1259 of 2795 Old 06-03-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

No. It says when connecting the subwoofer to the receiver ''connecting left and right cables to the LINE IN connectors if preferred (left and right signals are fed independently to the speaker) and are not electrically summed''
What subwoofer do you have? Link please. Does it have an LFE Input?

post #1260 of 2795 Old 06-03-2014, 04:50 PM

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
a/v receiver , component cables , hdmi , optical audio , Yamaha , Yamaha Rx V375 5 1 Channel Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V475 5 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V575 7 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V675 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V775wa 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - V375 by PriceGrabber.com