post #1351 of 1664 Old 06-21-2014, 07:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjenaire View Post
I recently replaced a V467 with a V675. An issue I am having is that on standby through, no audio is coming from the TV speakers (as it did with the V467). Same HDMI cord, same TV different result. In check through the various options, I noticed the display is being shown as DVI:
Not sure why this is and how I can change this. This is most likely the reason why I have no audio since the receiver perceives a video signal only even though it is connected with an HDMI cable into an HDMI port on the television. Scratching my head. #@$%^& HDCP!
Try using a different HDMI port on the tv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1664 Old 06-21-2014, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well thanks for that suggestion but I have already tried that as well as swapping out several HDMI cables.

anjenaire

"Conservation, it's worth the energy"
post #1353 of 1664 Old 06-21-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
^ You could try going into the Advanced Setup Menu and setting Monitor Check to SKIP. Might not work but it's worth a shot (page 106 of the 675 manual). Remember to turn it off and on again after changing the setting.
This looks promising. I'll check it out later (after grass is cut, the garden watered, the deck speakers re-wired with volume switch, etc.).

anjenaire

post #1354 of 1664 Old 06-21-2014, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
did you at least enable hdmi control on the yamaha ?
post #1355 of 1664 Old 06-21-2014, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Signed up just to ask this.

I just bought the Yamaha RX-V375 and I really despise how the volume is "backwards". It does some sort of decibel units, so when I turn the volume UP, the volume numbers decrease, and when I turn the volume DOWN, the volume numbers increase. Very dumb and very confusing, IMO. Is there some setting that lets me change this so that's it works similar to every electronic device ever?
post #1356 of 1664 Old 06-21-2014, 12:50 PM

Liked: 12
where have you been for the past 10 years man ? clearly you know nothing of AVR.... no offense.
everbody knows why it is that way, and why "that" way is better
post #1357 of 1664 Old 06-21-2014, 01:01 PM

Not everyone. Not me.

I had a nice Sony unit for the past decade or so but needed to move on to something with HDMI so I grabbed this one.

Why is it "better"? I find it very confusing to remember where I like the volume settings to be.
post #1358 of 1664 Old 06-21-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizsampson View Post
Signed up just to ask this.

I just bought the Yamaha RX-V375 and I really despise how the volume is "backwards". It does some sort of decibel units, so when I turn the volume UP, the volume numbers decrease, and when I turn the volume DOWN, the volume numbers increase. Very dumb and very confusing, IMO. Is there some setting that lets me change this so that's it works similar to every electronic device ever?
No. It makes sense if you know why its like that.
post #1359 of 1664 Old 06-21-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenito2k View Post
did you at least enable hdmi control on the yamaha ?
HDMI Control shouldnt have anything to do with his problem and isnt necessary to get sound from the tv speakers.
post #1360 of 1664 Old 06-21-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
No. It makes sense if you know why its like that.
Can you expand? Why is it like that?

The technical side of it doesn't really interest me and it doesn't seem like it should interest me unless I'm doing something in a professional environment. I turn it up as loud (or soft) as I need it to be, understanding that if I turn it up really loud, it will start to sound bad. What else is there....?

Last edited by skizsampson; 06-21-2014 at 02:35 PM.
post #1361 of 1664 Old 06-21-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I am unable to copy and paste anymore for some reason. Google "Why master volume in db".
post #1362 of 1664 Old 06-21-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The technical side of it doesn't really interest me and it doesn't seem like it should interest me unless I'm doing something in a professional environment. I turn it up as loud (or soft) as I need it to be, understanding that if I turn it up really loud, it will start to sound bad. What else is there....?
Then it works the same and you shouldnt have any problem.
post #1363 of 1664 Old 06-21-2014, 03:19 PM

Well that was short lived. First, I changed the monitor check to skip but still showing DVI and not passing through audio, then I decided to watch a little soccer (football) and worry about this later. Well they may never come. Five minutes into watching, I think the receiver blew up. The sound got very loud for a second then the receiver went off. There is no turning back on the main power. I can still select inputs (as though in standby) but can't turn the unit back on to get sound. I tried unplugging and replugging back in to the power outlet but no change. Smell of burnt electronics as well. So it looks like two day old receiver is heading back to Amazon. RX-V467 back in place. I should have suspected it was a weak unit. Everytime I restarted the unit, the Comcast cable box signal would flicker, So much so I would have to reboot the cable box in order to watch TV programming. Here's hoping the replacement works and doesn't see my TV HDMI as DVI.

anjenaire

post #1364 of 1664 Old 06-21-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
I just bought the Yamaha RX-V375 and I really despise how the volume is "backwards". It does some sort of decibel units, so when I turn the volume UP, the volume numbers decrease, and when I turn the volume DOWN, the volume numbers increase.

It's not backwards because when you turn up the volume the numbers get bigger. Note the minus sign, -20 is bigger than -30 (for example). Think of it like temperature, -20 degrees is higher than -30. You'll get used to it quicker than you think.
post #1365 of 1664 Old 06-22-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Anyone else having trouble with Pandora? The interface doesnt always respond. Particularly the thumbs up/down and "tired of this song". Sometimes when I click on them nothing happens.
675 with 1.46 firmware.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #1366 of 1664 Old 06-23-2014, 08:41 AM

Liked: 10
Currently I'm using RX-V465 and would like to upgrade to RX-VX75.
My setup is just a normal 5.1 speakers with 8ohms
What is my advantage using the new amp against my old and still functioning amp?
Or should I keep on using my old amp ... thanks
post #1367 of 1664 Old 06-23-2014, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
It sounds a little bit better now, I've moved the Sofas out the room and re-run YPAO a couple of times, results are better.

It set the Bass Crossover to 120Hz, also set my Subwoofer to -1 with the Level at the back of the Subwoofer to around 60%.

When I first got the MA Vectors, and I didn't do much configuring and I just set the Crossover to 80Hz, I watched Lone Survivor and during one of the helicopter scenes my Right Rear Speaker made like a crackling noise, as if too much treble and I thought I had popped the Speaker.

I did a test tone afterwards and it's fine. But, I now realize that, that happened because the Crossover was set to 80Hz, it's too low for these Speakers.

YPAO set the Crossover to 120Hz, I watched I Frankenstein the other day and it sounded ok.

I watched a Bollywood flick and in those films you have 5-7 min songs during the film, I noticed that the Subwoofer was giving out too much bass during one song, it may be the crap authoring of the bluray as bollywood blurays aren't that impressive but maybe I was thinking, I could set the Satellites to give out little more bass so instead of 80Hz, set to 100Hz instead of YPAO's set of 120Hz?

Is a 10Hz jump considerable? If I heard that worrying noise from my Surrounds during that Helicopter scene, I don't want that to happen again it could damage my Speakers.
post #1368 of 1664 Old 06-23-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0tiq View Post
Currently I'm using RX-V465 and would like to upgrade to RX-VX75.
My setup is just a normal 5.1 speakers with 8ohms
What is my advantage using the new amp against my old and still functioning amp?
Or should I keep on using my old amp ... thanks
Unless youre looking for better features keep the 465.
post #1369 of 1664 Old 06-23-2014, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

Have a read of post #26 in the following thread:What do the volume control numbers mean?, AVS member SRR explains it well in easy to understand simple terms.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #1370 of 1664 Old 06-26-2014, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
First, it's only really important to have all speakers balanced relative to each other. Having master volume 0db be reference level (75dB with the test tones) is not essential.

Second, you can calibrate to 65dB with the master volume at -10 (and so on), then you'll end up with the same result as 75dB at volume 0. The only drawback here is that background noise in the room can interfere more, so just try to do it when everything is as quiet as possible.
I picked up a Radio Shack digital SPL meter and checked out my speaker levels using the 70 dB scale, C weighting, slow response and using the 375's test tones. At my primary listening position, each speaker reading was either equal or very very close to the other speakers' reading. I got 75-77 dB from the test tones with the 375's volume set at about -12 dB, which surprised me...I thought it would be needed to be set closer to 0 dB to get 75 dB.

Anyway, my system seems to be balanced as far as levels go, despite YPAO setting my center level to +10. If I lower it to say -8, then the SPL reading of course drops below the readings I get from the fronts, so I think the system is well balanced level wise. I am not so sure though on how equal the frequency responses of each speaker set match to the other sets, especially the fronts vs. the center and surrounds...the fronts I think are much brighter. I guess I will have to do some further testing of frequency response now using the SPL meter.
post #1371 of 1664 Old 06-26-2014, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by am_dew View Post
... I am not so sure though on how equal the frequency responses of each speaker set match to the other sets, especially the fronts vs. the center and surrounds...the fronts I think are much brighter. I guess I will have to do some further testing of frequency response now using the SPL meter.
am_dew,

You'll need to download the free REW software from here: http://www.roomeqwizard.com/
Also grab a calibrated mic from Cross Spectrum Labs here: http://www.cross-spectrum.com/
Have a read through the simplified REW setup and use guide by AVS member Jerry Austin here:Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs, it has a treasure trove of useful info.

Start measuring your speakers and post the results in the REW thread for critiques/solutions.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #1372 of 1664 Old 06-27-2014, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Well that was short lived. First, I changed the monitor check to skip but still showing DVI and not passing through audio, then I decided to watch a little soccer (football) and worry about this later. Well they may never come. Five minutes into watching, I think the receiver blew up. The sound got very loud for a second then the receiver went off. There is no turning back on the main power. I can still select inputs (as though in standby) but can't turn the unit back on to get sound. I tried unplugging and replugging back in to the power outlet but no change. Smell of burnt electronics as well. So it looks like two day old receiver is heading back to Amazon. RX-V467 back in place. I should have suspected it was a weak unit. Everytime I restarted the unit, the Comcast cable box signal would flicker, So much so I would have to reboot the cable box in order to watch TV programming. Here's hoping the replacement works and doesn't see my TV HDMI as DVI.
Well I got the replacement amp yesterday and unfortunately it has the same behavior. It must somehow sense this TV as having a DVI input even though it is HDMI and the older receiver did standby pass through just fine. I am scratching my head. I did go to Monitor Check and selected "Skip" but that didn't do anything. For now I will have to tell family members to turn on the receiver for sound but that will require *gasp* two remotes. I know, not a big deal, but it is frustrating to have the behavior change between two units. The HDCP handshake hasn't changed on the TV I am positive so it is some change in implementation on the part of Yamaha. While I don't wish to spend more money perhaps I'll have to purchase a device that goes between the TV Out on the RX-V675 and the TV HDMI input that sends the HDCP signal. Anyone have any other suggestions or experience with such a device?

anjenaire

post #1373 of 1664 Old 06-27-2014, 05:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Well I got the replacement amp yesterday and unfortunately it has the same behavior. It must somehow sense this TV as having a DVI input even though it is HDMI and the older receiver did standby pass through just fine. I am scratching my head. I did go to Monitor Check and selected "Skip" but that didn't do anything. For now I will have to tell family members to turn on the receiver for sound but that will require *gasp* two remotes. I know, not a big deal, but it is frustrating to have the behavior change between two units. The HDCP handshake hasn't changed on the TV I am positive so it is some change in implementation on the part of Yamaha. While I don't wish to spend more money perhaps I'll have to purchase a device that goes between the TV Out on the RX-V675 and the TV HDMI input that sends the HDCP signal. Anyone have any other suggestions or experience with such a device?
Can you post a list of your other equipment? What make/model tv do you have?
post #1374 of 1664 Old 06-27-2014, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Can you post a list of your other equipment? What make/model tv do you have?
Sure the TV is an Olevia 247 TFHD, HDMI 1: Vizio 231VBR BD Player; HDMI2: Comcast Xfinity X1 Cable Box; HDMI 3: Roku 2XS Streaming Box; HDMI 4: Xbox360; HDMI 5: Amazon FireTV Streaming Box. Currently not connected, WD Live Streaming Box to Component connections.

Lying off to the side, Yamaha RX-V467 (which worked with all of these and allowed standby pass-through of the video and audio; of course the Amazon FireTV was patched directly to the TV as the 467 has but four HDMI inputs. Also connected is a COAX from the TV audio out to the AV-3 input on the receiver but that has no impact on the standby mode.

anjenaire

post #1375 of 1664 Old 06-27-2014, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
...I changed the monitor check to skip but still showing DVI and not passing through audio...
It's worth asking Yamaha support whether they've seen this problem before.
post #1376 of 1664 Old 06-27-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
It's worth asking Yamaha support whether they've seen this problem before.
I'm trying to connect with them on their Facebook support option, The Hub, but of course the amount of time between response is quite long. Hopefully they get back to me with a solution, but I am sure they will point fingers at my television and not their implementation of the HDMI handshake etc.

Edit: They've suggested that I call in to their support line. That'll be lots of hours i won't ever get back.

anjenaire

Last edited by anjenaire; 06-27-2014 at 12:56 PM.
post #1377 of 1664 Old 06-27-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Ive called Yamaha a couple of times and it isnt too bad. After Level 1 cant help you Level 2 will call you back. Usually within 48 hours.
post #1378 of 1664 Old 06-29-2014, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 248
I just bought a refurbished 475
Set it up, ran the auto setup with the mic, logged into pandora, installed the Yamaha app
Sounds great on my jbl speakers
Any other suggestions for me
Thanks in advance
post #1379 of 1664 Old 06-29-2014, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just purchased RX-V675 and I am very confused with the sound mode I'm supposed to use.

My PC is connected to the receiver so 90% of the time I will be using the receiver to output sound from the PC. Which is the best sound mode for this situation?

I was thinking of STRAIGHT mode since the manual states that it is the mode to playback sources without any sound field processing. However, when I turn on the STRAIGHT mode, I only hear sound from 2.1 as indicated in the front display, regardless if I was playing stereo music or 5.1 movie with my PC. According to the manual, it should produces unprocessed multichannel sounds for multichannel sources, so shouldn't I be getting 5.1 sound from playing 5.1 sources in STRAIGHT mode? I'm very confused by this.

Also, for PURE DIRECT mode, I am only hearing sound from 2 speakers as indicated by the front display, is this working as intended?

Lastly, when I am not using the speakers, I can hear noticeable radio from the speakers, how can I turn it off?
post #1380 of 1664 Old 06-30-2014, 12:11 PM

Liked: 11
How are you connecting your PC to the 675? Are you using cat5e thru a router and using network/server on the receiver? When I'm playing straight stereo signal (CD player, radio) I like using the 7.1 stereo mode on my 675. To me, the stereo signal sounds fuller that way. I use straight for anything that will pass 5.1 directly to the receiver (Amazon Fire TV, Blu-Ray and DVD).
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V775wa 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V575 7 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V675 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V475 5 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V375 5 1 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - V375 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page