Yamaha RX-V 75 Series owners thread - Page 47 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1381 of 1392 Old 06-30-2014, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How are you connecting your PC to the 675? Are you using cat5e thru a router and using network/server on the receiver? When I'm playing straight stereo signal (CD player, radio) I like using the 7.1 stereo mode on my 675. To me, the stereo signal sounds fuller that way. I use straight for anything that will pass 5.1 directly to the receiver (Amazon Fire TV, Blu-Ray and DVD).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 1392 Old 07-01-2014, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all,

I'm having a few probe with my rev-675 so any advice will help.

I have the yamaha wired with a cat6 Ethernet cable so I can use spotify connect.

The first problem is the lag issue when I send commands from my iphone 5 spotify app to the yamaha. There is usually always a 5-7 sec delay. I have read that this can be 1-2 seconds which would be fine.

I use a netgear wndr3700v2 modem router to broadcast my 5ghz wifi. Not sure how to reduce the lag perhaps it's a network issue. Does anyone here use the spotify connect feature?

The other issue I have is the yamaha keeps switching from the SCI-FI scene to the STRAIGHT scene about 3 -4 seconds after I power it on. Or perhaps it's switching fro the BD/DVD setting to Straight. Either way it's muting the audio until I switch it back. I switch it back by hitting the BD/DVD setting on the remote. It does this every time I power it on without fail. I am powering it on with a Logitech harmony one IR universal remote. I have set the scene to SCI-FI in the onscreen menu so I'm not sure how to correct this problem.
post #1383 of 1392 Old 07-01-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canozzie View Post
Hi all,

I'm having a few probe with my rev-675 so any advice will help.

The other issue I have is the yamaha keeps switching from the SCI-FI scene to the STRAIGHT scene about 3 -4 seconds after I power it on. Or perhaps it's switching fro the BD/DVD setting to Straight. Either way it's muting the audio until I switch it back. I switch it back by hitting the BD/DVD setting on the remote. It does this every time I power it on without fail. I am powering it on with a Logitech harmony one IR universal remote. I have set the scene to SCI-FI in the onscreen menu so I'm not sure how to correct this problem.
Turn off HDMI Control.
post #1384 of 1392 Old 07-03-2014, 01:45 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think I've asked this one before but didn't get an answer, so here's another shot at it.

Has anyone played music on 7ch Stereo mode (not Pure Direct), at around the -10.0dB mark, any noticed after sometime that the top lid/grill of the Yamaha RX-V675 gets hot? I'd say after 15/20 minutes at that Volume level. If someone could try, that'd be great.

I'd just like to get a second opinion, to know if it's normal or not.
post #1385 of 1392 Old 07-03-2014, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNZi View Post
I think I've asked this one before but didn't get an answer, so here's another shot at it.

Has anyone played music on 7ch Stereo mode (not Pure Direct), at around the -10.0dB mark, any noticed after sometime that the top lid/grill of the Yamaha RX-V675 gets hot? I'd say after 15/20 minutes at that Volume level. If someone could try, that'd be great.

I'd just like to get a second opinion, to know if it's normal or not.
It´s normal, don´t worry.
post #1386 of 1392 Old 07-08-2014, 07:05 AM

Liked: 28
Problem:

I don't use airplay on my 475.
While watching TV/Blu-ray/PS3/Netflix the sound stop and the reciever will switch to Airplay. Other people in the house use apple devices. Possible to disable "Airplay" fuction?

Yamaha RX V-475

Monitor Audio Bronze BX2   Speakers

Monitor Audio Bronze BX     Centre

Monitor Audio Bronze BRFX Rears

FAT PS3

Sans subwoofer

post #1387 of 1392 Old 07-08-2014, 07:13 AM

Are there any "Recommended settings" for getting things running optimally?
post #1388 of 1392 Old 07-12-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Moved this post here.

I purchased an RX-V375 not because I needed one, but because I wanted to know what the low end of the line was like. I like to be educated on these things when possible. I got a deal I could not pass up and it's all in the name of AV science

My speakers are B&W 684/685 series 1 speakers, a somewhat reasonably costed speaker line (684x2, 685x4, HTM-62x1) They are not particularly efficient, especially the center which has an abysmal sensitivity.

My subs are Emotiva 10", but I am only using one sub with the 375 for simplicity.

My normal setup is a Yamaha Z7 augmented by an Emotiva XPA-3 amp ( for front speakers) and a Crown XLS 1000 ( for rear surround speakers.)

My room is large by apartment living room standards. Probably an average size living room.

I hooked up the 3 front speakers, and the side surrounds to the 375. Note that if you have bi-wireable speakers, and a connector is loose, you WILL notice this when you run YPAO due to the sonic difference on the offending speaker. This happened multiple times, I wish the connectors did not work loose so easily

I ran YPAO, then overrode it's choice of large speakers. I prefer to let the subwoofer handle the LFE/bass duties. I re-ran it a few times as I was getting a phase warning when all the wiring looked right. I strongly suggest using clearly marked speaker wire so you don't have to squint to see which wire is "black". I also suggest banana plugs for speakers which take the, they are most helpful. On the 375, you can't use banana plugs for the center/surround on the receiver side, it has speaker clips.

I don't make the claim to some golden eared status, in fact I likely have some hearing damage ( rock concerts, etc.) But I do have a lot of experience with audio, including mixing my own music and many years with surround sound setups.

I did notice that I seem to have to turn the volume higher than I did on my Z7 (which is augmented with amplifiers.) I measured a 5 dB difference in SPL at the same volume readout using the same moment in the same scene in the same movie. But the 375 put out 75 dB on the test tones at -10 which seems right. I have no explanation for this discrepency.

I tested music, with the sub configured as normal, and I was able to reach volumes higher than any I would ever use. I backed down when I was pushing 90 dB SPL, and at the point where I started backing the volume down I was not noticing any obvious distress. I disabled the subwoofer running the L/R speakers only, and there was still more than enough power for my needs.

In general, I felt I could comfortable run the 375 at any volume I am likely to listen to for movies or music. I tested a number of movie scenes, some I was more familiar with the test scenes than others, but I could attribute no audible issues to the 375. Some movies have a bad mix is what I decided, but I am sure this is not news to people As an example, I played the opening scene of Cars 2. I turned it up to around -5 dB due to it seeming a bit quiet, but the loud scenes were preferably a bit lower than that. It sounded fine to me. Sharp sounds sounded the same as they did on the Z7 once I got the SPL to about the same peaks. For example, the explosions on the spiral ramp sounded correct on the 375.

I tested some music. I heard nothing objectionable with 90 dB peaks, but did not want to play at that volume for too long due to living in an apartment. At normal listening volume it sounded flawless to me. With a subwoofer connected, I see no reason it could not do music louder than I was willing to experiment with. If you want concert levels, I suggest looking at other options, but for what I payed, consider me very impressed.

As the 375 has few features, there's not too much to say about them. YPAO works the same as I am used to, meaning I typically adjust a few things. The layout on the back is clear. There's a GUI for setting options which seems perfectly usable. Remote is what you would expect for the price. And give the receiver's simplicity perfectly adequate.

So I feel I could recommend this to many people. It seemed to comfortably do 90 dB peaks, and I did not feel the need to push it much louder. I feel it should be able to handle peaks of 95 dB easily with my setup, which is all I ask for out of a receiver.

There's plenty of value in the more expensive receivers from Yamaha ( which is actually all of the models above this one 7.1 (375 only has 5.1) More power. Better speaker terminals on the higher models. Better versions of YPAO. Network features. To name a very few out of many differences. But I can't fault the sound quality, and the power seems sufficient for reasonable* listening levels.

* For the purposes of this review, I would call reasonable 95 dB peaks in movies, and 85 to 90 dB SPL music; higher SPL levels seem possible based on limited testing

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #1389 of 1392 Old 07-12-2014, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Default CEC setting

When my Sharp TV turns on my 375 it defaults to AV4.
Is there anyway to have it default to one of the Scenes?
I want it to select HDMI 1.
Using the remote or manual to turn it on it remembers where it was and starts where I want it too.
Having to push TWO buttons is so tiring.
post #1390 of 1392 Old Yesterday, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFromHC View Post
When my Sharp TV turns on my 375 it defaults to AV4.
Is there anyway to have it default to one of the Scenes?
I want it to select HDMI 1.
Using the remote or manual to turn it on it remembers where it was and starts where I want it too.
Having to push TWO buttons is so tiring.
+1

I have the same problem in the 775, any solution?
post #1391 of 1392 Old Yesterday, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have the 475. It is left on 24 hours a day. When I'm at work i mute the volume. Should I be turning it OFF when not in use ??? Or is leaving it on all day/all night ok.

LL
post #1392 of 1392 Old Today, 02:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyjacks View Post
I have the 475. It is left on 24 hours a day. When I'm at work i mute the volume. Should I be turning it OFF when not in use ??? Or is leaving it on all day/all night ok.
As long as its well ventilated and you dust it from time to time I doubt it matters much either way.
Any particular reason why you want to keep it on all day while you're not home?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V775wa 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V575 7 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V675 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V475 5 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V375 5 1 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread