Forum Jump: 

post #1471 of 1475 Old 07-29-2014, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk5987 View Post
Would if I could, but I'm not allowed to install any brackets. Once I buy a home (within a year or two) I'm going to have a dedicated home theatre room which I'll give the proper treatment. This is more of a stopgap situation. I just literally cannot put speakers behind me, but I really do appreciate even electrical simulation over nothing in the rear for the intents and purposes of movies (I disable the FP speakers when listening to music). I just wanted to make sure that I'm getting decent movie audio with CinemaDSP3D
That was my first thought, to install ceiling speakers. However, since that is out of the question, have you considered silent cinema mode with a decent set of headphones? You noted you were looking for accuracy in your first post, but CinemaDSP3D will not give you accuracy in terms of how the director intended it anyway. You would be better served to go with a 3.1 in straight mode if you are looking to be more accurate. If you generally watch movies by yourself I would go with the headphones. They are something that you can always keep when you move into your new house and use with your iPhone and some ALAC files for some great lossless music listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 1475 Old 07-30-2014, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymacIII View Post
That was my first thought, to install ceiling speakers. However, since that is out of the question, have you considered silent cinema mode with a decent set of headphones? You noted you were looking for accuracy in your first post, but CinemaDSP3D will not give you accuracy in terms of how the director intended it anyway. You would be better served to go with a 3.1 in straight mode if you are looking to be more accurate. If you generally watch movies by yourself I would go with the headphones. They are something that you can always keep when you move into your new house and use with your iPhone and some ALAC files for some great lossless music listening.
I do indeed use my DT-880s at night! I've got an e17 amp with them too, not that I need it with the Yamaha. I just like the thrill of the experience from loudspeakers. From the sounds of it, I'll just disable my front presence speakers and go with a 3.2 setup until I move. My JBL L1s can fill my room pretty well. When I move, I'll buy a pair of L5s and move the L1s to the back of the room.

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by sk5987; 07-30-2014 at 08:00 PM.
post #1473 of 1475 Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM

Another question: I know there aren't main pre-outs on the 675, but is there any way to utilize an old Marantz stereo amplifier I found in the attic the other day to power my mains?
post #1474 of 1475 Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Sorry, no real way to use it. In some weird setups I've used the headphones out with an adapter to connect external power amps but the YPAO and other useful items get bypassed and you introduce new questions about its frequency response, noise, etc. It's not really meant for it and locks you to stereo sound only.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #1475 of 1475 Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM

Cool, thanks. No worries. I'll just eBay it.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V775wa 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V575 7 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V675 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V475 5 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V375 5 1 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page