Yamaha RX-V 75 Series owners thread - Page 51 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1501 of 1807 Old 08-08-2014, 01:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 675 ...my ps4, ps3 and wd live wifi, have handshake issues... The signal comes and goes, it flickers at times, it turns all snowy at other times. I'm using premium cables. The funny thing is my hdtv box works fine. I've tried resetting the amp to no avail. If I run the cable direct from ps3 etc right to my projector ( optoma hd131xe) no issues at all. Any ideas or can someone recommend a better receiver with similar options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1807 Old 08-08-2014, 05:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by thediscexchange View Post
I have a 675 ...my ps4, ps3 and wd live wifi, have handshake issues... The signal comes and goes, it flickers at times, it turns all snowy at other times. I'm using premium cables. The funny thing is my hdtv box works fine. I've tried resetting the amp to no avail. If I run the cable direct from ps3 etc right to my projector ( optoma hd131xe) no issues at all. Any ideas or can someone recommend a better receiver with similar options.
Turn off HDMI Control and Video Processing in the 675. Check resolution settings in all devices.
post #1503 of 1807 Old 08-08-2014, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I own a 675 & can't seem to find my YPAO mic....Where can i find one ? I tried Ebay but it look like there are different mic for each receiver....Thanks

Silver Ticket 120" Projector Screen Grey Material /Benq-w1070 Projector/ Sony- PS4/PS3/Yamaha- RX-V675(upgrading soon)/Klipsch- RF-82 II , RC-62 II, Sub 12/Sony-SS-F5000(Surround)(upgrading really soon)/Amazon Fire TV/ Vizio-M501
post #1504 of 1807 Old 08-08-2014, 06:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgen76 View Post
I own a 675 & can't seem to find my YPAO mic....Where can i find one ? I tried Ebay but it look like there are different mic for each receiver....Thanks
Most people get them at Ebay. Also try Amazon or go straight to Yamaha.
post #1505 of 1807 Old 08-08-2014, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My late 80's Kenwood finally gave up the ghost so I ordered a 775 today. This is my first foray into home theater, but as long as there's no problem with it being factory refurbished it should be a good start. Guess speakers are next, although I still have my floor-space-hog Cerwin Vega's, also from the late 80's for now.
post #1506 of 1807 Old 08-09-2014, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question

I'm wondering if anyone with a RX-V775 could help me confirm something:

If you set Setup->HDMI->Audio Output->HDMI Out2 to On, will that pass multi-channel audio via HDMI Out2 or just 2-channel stereo?

My question is very similiar to the one posed in this thread.

It's probably difficult to test unless you have the correct setup, but I'm hoping maybe someone out there is using this functionality. Sorry if this has been discussed already, but it's such a huge thread.
post #1507 of 1807 Old 08-09-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepo View Post
I'm wondering if anyone with a RX-V775 could help me confirm something:

If you set Setup->HDMI->Audio Output->HDMI Out2 to On, will that pass multi-channel audio via HDMI Out2 or just 2-channel stereo?

My question is very similiar to the one posed in this thread.

It's probably difficult to test unless you have the correct setup, but I'm hoping maybe someone out there is using this functionality. Sorry if this has been discussed already, but it's such a huge thread.
No such setting. Check and ask again.
post #1508 of 1807 Old 08-09-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
No such setting. Check and ask again.
I don't have the unit yet, but going by the manual the setting should look like this:

There are no further screenshots of this in the manual, but I suppose there would be an option under Audio Output to choose whether to output sound to the TV via HDMI OUT2.

The setting is decribed in the manual as so:

-I am curious if when the setting outlined in red is set to On for HDMI OUT2, is multi channel audio passed through HDMI OUT2, or just 2-channel stereo?

I wish I had more precise screens to show, but sadly I can't seem to find any.
post #1509 of 1807 Old 08-09-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I dont know. Thats setting just turns the tv sound on and off. It wouldnt make sense for it to be multichannel since no tvs support that type of sound.
post #1510 of 1807 Old 08-09-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
I dont know. Thats setting just turns the tv sound on and off. It wouldnt make sense for it to be multichannel since no tvs support that type of sound.
Seems like I've found some kind of confirmation in the RX-A3030 manual:

It's a bit unclear because it says it only does this when the unit is on. Is it different if Standby Through is used maybe? Anyway, if this is the case on the RX-A3030, then I doubt it's any different on the RX-V775.

Thank you for your replies, Bond 007
gymnos likes this.
post #1511 of 1807 Old 08-09-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You would set it to On if you want to listen to the AVR and tv when the AVR is on. If you set it to Off then you hear only the AVR when the AVR is on.
post #1512 of 1807 Old 08-09-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepo View Post
Seems like I've found some kind of confirmation in the RX-A3030 manual:

It's a bit unclear because it says it only does this when the unit is on. Is it different if Standby Through is used maybe? Anyway, if this is the case on the RX-A3030, then I doubt it's any different on the RX-V775.
Good detective work there Deepo!

I strongly suspect it has stereo sound only when powered up, like the 3030, and passes full, unadulterated sound when in pass through.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #1513 of 1807 Old 08-09-2014, 01:33 PM

Liked: 0
party mode results in huge volume drop in zone 2 using external amp

I have zone 2 connected to an external amp (Russound multi room system)

if I run a source (eg. USB) to zone 1 and 2 independently, they are both loud.

But if I select "party mode" the volume level in zone 2 drops significantly (eg. from 60 db to 40 db). As a result I have to significantly turn up the volume in zone 2 to get it back to the level it was at.

Q1) most important question - Is this normal or do I need to return for a new unit. I suspect it is normal, but don't understand why it does this.

I tried using speakers and the V775 internal amp instead and then their is no problem (the volume does not drop).
For whatever reason going to party mode changes the output level to the amp.

Q2) is there any other way to get the zone 1 music to the russound amp? The AV out to a recording device seems to work (but not for HDMI I believe and it says these outputs are ONLY for connecting to recording devices, so maybe not a good idea)

Q3) for zone 2 can I run both speakers and the line out at the same time? ie. I would have one set of speakers with volume control and the russound amp separately controlled - or is it an either/or option for zone 2?

Very much appreciate help, especially question 1.
post #1514 of 1807 Old 08-10-2014, 03:17 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thediscexchange View Post
I'm experiencing the same issue with my 475. The HDMI output is flashing, sometimes with snow, sometimes with the image from the selected device. Tried resetting the unit, updating the firmware, different cables, different monitors without any change.

On one monitor, I see the message 'Out of range'.

If I use Airplay, the onscreen display is better but still flickers regularly.

After a reset all the hdmi connect options are disabled so that doesn't help the issue.

Any thoughts? Anyone experience the same and manage to resolve it themselves.
post #1515 of 1807 Old 08-10-2014, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspick View Post
I'm experiencing the same issue with my 475. The HDMI output is flashing, sometimes with snow, sometimes with the image from the selected device. Tried resetting the unit, updating the firmware, different cables, different monitors without any change.

On one monitor, I see the message 'Out of range'.

If I use Airplay, the onscreen display is better but still flickers regularly.

After a reset all the hdmi connect options are disabled so that doesn't help the issue.

Any thoughts? Anyone experience the same and manage to resolve it themselves.
I think it's only an issue when the resolution is 1080p. I upgraded to the RXA1040 and that seems to have solved the issue. It's frustrating...as no one seems to know why this is happening. The HDMI circuitry should not be too much different as both receivers are 1.4a compatible, but the RXA1040 is not having the same issues communicating with the projector....
post #1516 of 1807 Old 08-10-2014, 05:06 PM

Okay when i had my PS3 my receiver didn't have any issue playing DTS Master audio..My PS4 is set to Bitstream(DTS) & my receiver is outputting the sound as PCM. Can't figure out if this is a receiver issue or PS4 issue(My PS4 sound screen say DTS Master audio playing)...Any suggestion ? Thanks

Silver Ticket 120" Projector Screen Grey Material /Benq-w1070 Projector/ Sony- PS4/PS3/Yamaha- RX-V675(upgrading soon)/Klipsch- RF-82 II , RC-62 II, Sub 12/Sony-SS-F5000(Surround)(upgrading really soon)/Amazon Fire TV/ Vizio-M501
post #1517 of 1807 Old 08-10-2014, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Flashing and/or occasional snow on HDMI are indicative of a weak signal usually due to an inadequately thin wire for the length being used, some internal strands are snapped or have a bad connection, or a loose, poorly seated plug connection. This problem usually happens first on higher res signals so not working over 1080p yet being fine at other lower resolutions is not unexpected. Temporary fixes are to reboot the gear, which gives a sudden temporary boost at the new handshake, and/or unplugging and re connecting the jacks to be sure your connection is solid and the contacts are clean.

What confounds people is that one source to the display will work with that HDMI cord yet another one using the same cord and the same length won't. This is because the onboard HDMI board's amp section varies in power from one device to another and/or due to impedance mismatches. Add on top of this when the condition is borderline everything may seem fine for weeks and then suddenly manifest itself.

Solutions:

- thicker AWG # HDMI cord,
-shorter cord,
-or in-line booster amps

Here is a random example I googled up; it is not to be taken as an endorsement by me:
http://www.parts-express.com/hdmi-am...emale--181-766

[Some HDMI cords have internal amps and are now cleverly bus-powered, so the HMDI signal itself juices up the tiny internal amp. Such cords are of course directional, fairly new, and I've never personally used one.] Again, not to be taken as an endorsement by me. Never used it:
http://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-Cab.../dp/B005LJQNAG
sspick likes this.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Last edited by m. zillch; 08-10-2014 at 07:54 PM.
post #1518 of 1807 Old 08-10-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgen76 View Post
Okay when i had my PS3 my receiver didn't have any issue playing DTS Master audio..My PS4 is set to Bitstream(DTS) & my receiver is outputting the sound as PCM. Can't figure out if this is a receiver issue or PS4 issue(My PS4 sound screen say DTS Master audio playing)...Any suggestion ? Thanks
Hi Nexgen76, when playing a movie press the "option" on the controller and under "audio format" select Bitstream.
Nexgen76 likes this.
post #1519 of 1807 Old 08-10-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Hi Nexgen76, when playing a movie press the "option" on the controller and under "audio format" select Bitstream.
Thanks so much.......That worked

post #1520 of 1807 Old 08-11-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
What confounds people is that one source to the display will work with that HDMI cord yet another one using the same cord and the same length won't. This is because the onboard HDMI board's amp section varies in power from one device to another and/or due to impedance mismatches. Add on top of this when the condition is borderline everything may seem fine for weeks and then suddenly manifest itself.

Solutions:

- thicker AWG # HDMI cord,
-shorter cord,
-or in-line booster amps
Thanks for the post. It's certainly strange for it to suddenly fail after 6 months. No changes in the setup since I installed it 6 months ago.

I'll try all the HDMI cables I have on the output of the amp to the TV to see if it has any effect. I tried three of them though one more test couldn't hurt. Thanks.
post #1521 of 1807 Old 08-11-2014, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Do try the temporary fixes first: disconnect all ends along the full path, re-connect, sever connection while turned on to force new handshakes between each pair of devices. [causing a surge during the re-established handshake]

post #1522 of 1807 Old 08-12-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Do try the temporary fixes first:[causing a surge during the re-established handshake]
No luck. I get flashing snow on screen when I simply connect the HDMI out to the TV using 4 different cables, on different TV inputs. I think it's toast.

Hoping Yamaha can help with shipping costs for warranty service, since there are no longer any dealers in my province.
post #1523 of 1807 Old 08-12-2014, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
On past receivers, I've seen little red illuminated logos for sound profiles. For example, the Dolby Digital logo or DTS. So far, all of the item's I've played through the receiver simply show the 5 speaker icons being used, but no indication of Dolby 5.1 or DTS. Is this normal? Does this receiver (675) not specify the format? Or is there a setting I need to change?

Thanks!

Yamaha RX-V675 | Primus 363s fronts | Primus 163 rears | Primus 351 Center | Rythmik LV12R Sub
post #1524 of 1807 Old 08-12-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Your point is a very good one. I just checked my RX-V375 and I remember when I first got it, despite having worked professionally in audio for over twenty years, it took a little effort until I realized the surround mode called "STRAIGHT" meant I could hear Dolby Digital 5.1 unadulterated from my cable box, etc., without further processing. I wish it were more clear than that since any average bloke might very well select "STANDARD", in their attempt to achieve the same thing, no?

Anyway, to answer your very good question, pressing the button "Info" will eventually toggle you to the words "Audio Decoder", which after a second or so automatically changes to: "Dolby Digital" with the little Yamaha logo above it, "Cinema DSP", properly extinguished.

Last edited by m. zillch; 08-12-2014 at 12:44 PM.
post #1525 of 1807 Old 08-12-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Good detective work there Deepo!

I strongly suspect it has stereo sound only when powered up, like the 3030, and passes full, unadulterated sound when in pass through.
Got my 775 today and have done some testing. Your assumption was correct! Turning it off makes it pass everything unadulterated. Very happy about that.

I now have the Yamaha set up at my computer desk with my PC and all my consoles connected to it. When I feel like playing/watching something in my living room, I just turn off the Yamaha, and everything goes nice and untouched through to my Onkyo receiver for processing and sound output. So far I'm extremely happy about this setup, and the Yamaha seems fantastic. Strongly considering another Yamaha for the living room though, as it seems much more suited to my use than the Onkyo.

Those Yamaha on-screen menus though... Ugh :P Oh well, once it's set up, I doubt I'll be touching them much.

Edit: To be clear, I'm saying ugh to how the menus look. They seem to function great and be easy to use and understand.

Last edited by Deepo; 08-12-2014 at 03:52 PM.
post #1526 of 1807 Old 08-13-2014, 07:41 AM

V775 campare to my old V1900?

Hi,
I thinking of upgrading my Yamaha RX-V1900 receiver, only because of the need of an extra HDMI-output and all the network goodies like airplay and spotify.
My concern is if RX-V775 has the same output power as my V1900?

It looks like the numbers are lower on V775 but will I notice that in reality? I am really pleased with my V1900 and don't want to downgrade in sound quality.

Is RX-V777 also an option, worth the extra money compared to V775?

Thanks for your input!

/Nicke
post #1527 of 1807 Old 08-13-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 176
^ the 775 has a bit less power than the 1900, but you won't necessarily notice it. It's also missing EQ for the subwoofer (which the 1900 has) but that may or may not be important to you.

You could keep the 1900 if you're happy with it and add an HDMI splitter (<$50) to emulate the 2nd output of the 775, and a media streamer to add the network features (plenty of choices like Apple TV or WD TV Live for ~$100).
Niklas Lovefall likes this.
post #1528 of 1807 Old 08-13-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Kirktsemaj99, do you know of a link to teach me about the different incarnations of YPAO? Their lit seems to be pretty tight lipped about it.
post #1529 of 1807 Old 08-13-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
^ the 775 has a bit less power than the 1900, but you won't necessarily notice it. It's also missing EQ for the subwoofer (which the 1900 has) but that may or may not be important to you.

You could keep the 1900 if you're happy with it and add an HDMI splitter (<$50) to emulate the 2nd output of the 775, and a media streamer to add the network features (plenty of choices like Apple TV or WD TV Live for ~$100).
Damn, you sound like my wife! It's fun to buy new stuff!
Glad to hear that my old friend V1900 still can compete.

You're right, I have a Apple TV and it works great. Thought it would be cool though to only start the reciever then listening to music AND the new Spotify connect sounds nice.

The HDMI issue is worse; I bought a HDMI-splitter a while ago but there is something goofy about it. Then I have booth my TV and projector connected, I loose picture on the TV until I disconnect the cable to the projector, that is power off. That means I still have to switch cables then I want to watch projector or TV.
Do you have experience from a splitter that works?

/Nicke

Last edited by Niklas Lovefall; 08-13-2014 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Forgot something...
post #1530 of 1807 Old 08-13-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 176
^ Not sure which splitter would work best. One advantage of the dual HDMI output on the receiver is you can toggle each one on/off from the remote, in case you run into a situation like you describe. Sounds like the projector is leaving its HDMI input partly active when in standby mode, but maybe some splitters will deal with that.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
a/v receiver , component cables , hdmi , optical audio , Yamaha , Yamaha Rx V375 5 1 Channel Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V475 5 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V575 7 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V675 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V775wa 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - V375 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page