Forum Jump: 

post #1621 of 1641 Old 09-03-2014, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
v775 problem, auto-detect signal gives delay

Heya all,

I just recently bought the RX-V775 receiver and a set of Dali speakers, and I'm all new to these modern audio systems, my old Hi-Fi was bought in -91...
I'm very happy with the sound output, both in stereo mode and 5.1 mode.

However I experience something pretty annoying, which started after I moved the receiver to the bookshelf and disconnected+reconnected all the speaker wires. The thing is that the v775 simply "turns off" the amplifier part when there is no incoming sound signal, and it automatically turns on again when it detects a signal.
This sounds good in theory, but since there is about 3 seconds of delay before it fires up the amplifiers for the speakers, it means I'm always missing the first part of the sound that is played.

When there is a continuos loop of sound, there is no problem, it works like a charm. But when the sound signal stops, it shuts down the amps again!

When I say "shut down", I don'y mean the receiver goes into standby mode or something, it just simply turns of the speaker part. What I want, is for it to show me those 6 little icons representing speakers all the time when the receiver is ON, so I know the speakers are always driven!

I don't know what I did wrong when I moved the receiver, it wasn't like this before...any ideas? I tried resetting it to factory setting via the advanced menu, didn't work

I'm normally transmitting the sound via HDMI from my computer, but I don't think that's the problem since it worked before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1641 Old 09-04-2014, 03:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by palermo22 View Post
I am a novice trying to get perfect sound (I know this is subjective) from the unit I just purchased. I am definitely a novice at this but I was able to get everything connected: Directv out to Pioneer TV in with HDMI - then HDMI out from TV to in on the HDMI 4 on the 675. With that I am confused on many of the settings that are possible. I am using a 5.1 system (my speakers were in the ceiling when we moved into the house - I believe they are Integra). Would one of you pros out there tell me the best way to have this set up and recommend various options.

Thanks
You want to run all your devices in to the 675. Then out from the 675 to your tv.
Have you run YPAO?
ChromeJob likes this.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #1623 of 1641 Old 09-04-2014, 03:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skalis View Post
Heya all,

I just recently bought the RX-V775 receiver and a set of Dali speakers, and I'm all new to these modern audio systems, my old Hi-Fi was bought in -91...
I'm very happy with the sound output, both in stereo mode and 5.1 mode.

However I experience something pretty annoying, which started after I moved the receiver to the bookshelf and disconnected+reconnected all the speaker wires. The thing is that the v775 simply "turns off" the amplifier part when there is no incoming sound signal, and it automatically turns on again when it detects a signal.
This sounds good in theory, but since there is about 3 seconds of delay before it fires up the amplifiers for the speakers, it means I'm always missing the first part of the sound that is played.

When there is a continuos loop of sound, there is no problem, it works like a charm. But when the sound signal stops, it shuts down the amps again!

When I say "shut down", I don'y mean the receiver goes into standby mode or something, it just simply turns of the speaker part. What I want, is for it to show me those 6 little icons representing speakers all the time when the receiver is ON, so I know the speakers are always driven!

I don't know what I did wrong when I moved the receiver, it wasn't like this before...any ideas? I tried resetting it to factory setting via the advanced menu, didn't work

I'm normally transmitting the sound via HDMI from my computer, but I don't think that's the problem since it worked before.
Thats normal. It probably did it before but you just didnt notice it.
The amp is not being turned off and on. When that happens the unit will "click". It is just turning the icons off and on to let you know that none of the speakers are getting a signal.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #1624 of 1641 Old 09-04-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Thats normal. It probably did it before but you just didnt notice it.
The amp is not being turned off and on. When that happens the unit will "click". It is just turning the icons off and on to let you know that none of the speakers are getting a signal.
Thanks for your input, it is possible that it was like this before without me noticing it, I might have had WoW game active in the background sending some ambient sound all the time that kept the speaker amplifiers active.

Yes, it's true that I could actually hear a "click". However, it is also true that it actually shut down the amplifiers (not the whole unit, only the amplifiers for the connected speakers) resulting in "lag" - meaning whenever there is a new sound sent through the HDMI, it takes 1-2 seconds for the amplifiers to start up again and start sending the signal to the speakers. This annoyed me a lot, because it meant I couldn't hear the e-mail sound (or other short sound files) because the sound file was so short that the receiver didn't have time to "fire up" the amplifiers before the soundfile had already finished playing...

I have now solved it in a different matter though. By using a toslink cable for the audio, it never embraces this behaviour. The speaker channels are kept "alive" all the time.

Thanks again for your help, I will surely browse this forum for more info, it seems to keep a lot of valuable knowledge

/Skalis (Swe)
post #1625 of 1641 Old 09-04-2014, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
You want to run all your devices in to the 675. Then out from the 675 to your tv.
Have you run YPAO?
I am running the HDMI from the Directv box into the 675 and then out from the 675 into the TV. I am also running my PS3 through the 675 as well. I have run the YPAO and made slight changes afterwards (made all speakers small) and raised the level of the rear speakers.

It's the various sub-menus that I am having problems with - in that I am not sure if I should leave them alone or make minor adjustments. When I play music it sounds great - it's the TV viewing where the sound is coming out of an echo chamber (yes, I have tried various settings - the only one that sounds half decent is the straight setting). On the other settings the voices sound very heavy like they all have too much bass.

Thanks

Last edited by palermo22; 09-04-2014 at 09:45 AM.
post #1626 of 1641 Old 09-04-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I am running the HDMI from the Directv box into the 675 and then out from the 675 into the TV. I am also running my PS3 through the 675 as well. I have run the YPAO and made slight changes afterwards (made all speakers small) and raised the level of the rear speakers.

It's the various sub-menus that I am having problems with - in that I am not sure if I should leave them alone or make minor adjustments. When I play music it sounds great - it's the TV viewing where the sound is coming out of an echo chamber (yes, I have tried various settings - the only one that sounds half decent is the straight setting). On the other settings the voices sound very heavy like they all have too much bass.

Thanks
Hard to say. May just be your speakers. What is the sub level set at? Whats the xover?
post #1627 of 1641 Old 09-04-2014, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymacIII View Post
No problem.

YPAO is generally good at setting SPL with the exception of the subwoofer (at least with my experience). I generally set my SPL to 75 db across the board and make a note at what DB my relative volume is set to. That way I can know how far below reference volume I am playing. To do this you might turn the volume up on your receiver to read 0db and then turn up or down the level for each individual speaker to get a 75 db SPL reading on the meter. That way when you are playing a movie at -20db you will know you are playing 20db below reference volume.

You run YPAO to automatically set your crossover and you make adjustments as you see fit (80hz to 120hz is generally the number to aim for). If you are unhappy with what YPAO is doing, I would look into getting Room EQ Wizard with a UMIK-1 so you can accurately set your crossover and SPLs. You will be able to see quite a bit from there. Better yet, get a miniDSP nanoAVR 8x8 and bypass the Yamaha speaker management system altogether. Before you give up on YPAO; make sure that you are putting the YPAO mic level (preferably on a tripod), at ear height, your speakers are setup at the recommended positions, and there is no noise in the room (I even leave the room).

Good luck.
Hi.. did the YPAO setup by keeping the volume on receiver at - 4 db.. couldn't bear the 0 db sound.. like I was able to bear the - 4 db... anywayz keeping the receiver volume at - 4 db and spl meter set to 80 db I ran the pink noise out of each speaker and then set the sound level accordingly until each speaker got 80 db out of it.... however the subwoofer I couldn't get it to 80db exact as the sound level on receiver only allows till -10... I cannot decrease it more and the subwoofer was letting out sound at 82-84 db .. it was just fluctuating... .. I thought I will leave the subwoofer setting like that and played some videos and music content... of course I decreased the receiver volume first

but my concern after doing this setup is.. I have to raise the volume of receiver to -50db /-45db to be able to get a good loud amount of sound out of all speakers and subwoofer... all this time.. I just did the manual setting on sound level or trim ( forgot to mention earlier.. I zeroed out the trim before doing YPAO for the above setup ) and even equalizer and what not and I believe I had like mostly positive values on the sound level for most of speakers.. and subwoofer being the highest.. lol .. and with those settings I would just have my sound on receiver at say -65 or -60 db and the volume form all the speakers would be loud.... what is the volume on your receiver for you to be able to feel the sound from speakers ? is increasing the volume on receivers at -50 or -45 db ok ? I think it is ok.. but just wanted to check..

TIA

PSN ID: adnaanasiim
Trophy Card:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1628 of 1641 Old 09-04-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg_Optoma View Post
Hi.. did the YPAO setup by keeping the volume on receiver at - 4 db.. couldn't bear the 0 db sound.. like I was able to bear the - 4 db... anywayz keeping the receiver volume at - 4 db and spl meter set to 80 db I ran the pink noise out of each speaker and then set the sound level accordingly until each speaker got 80 db out of it.... however the subwoofer I couldn't get it to 80db exact as the sound level on receiver only allows till -10... I cannot decrease it more and the subwoofer was letting out sound at 82-84 db .. it was just fluctuating... .. I thought I will leave the subwoofer setting like that and played some videos and music content... of course I decreased the receiver volume first

but my concern after doing this setup is.. I have to raise the volume of receiver to -50db /-45db to be able to get a good loud amount of sound out of all speakers and subwoofer... all this time.. I just did the manual setting on sound level or trim ( forgot to mention earlier.. I zeroed out the trim before doing YPAO for the above setup ) and even equalizer and what not and I believe I had like mostly positive values on the sound level for most of speakers.. and subwoofer being the highest.. lol .. and with those settings I would just have my sound on receiver at say -65 or -60 db and the volume form all the speakers would be loud.... what is the volume on your receiver for you to be able to feel the sound from speakers ? is increasing the volume on receivers at -50 or -45 db ok ? I think it is ok.. but just wanted to check..

TIA
Its all subjective of course. And it depends on the size of the room, type of speakers, etc. I see nothing out of the ordinary about your post.
post #1629 of 1641 Old 09-04-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Hard to say. May just be your speakers. What is the sub level set at? Whats the xover?
I have all speakers set to small (I don't quite understand that but I had read that is what you should do) - the sub is set at 50% volume and 100% on the other dial - xover is 100.
post #1630 of 1641 Old 09-04-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I have all speakers set to small (I don't quite understand that but I had read that is what you should do) - the sub is set at 50% volume and 100% on the other dial - xover is 100.
I meant what is the sub volume in the AVR? What is "the other dial" on your subwoofer? Are you saying the xover in the AVR is 100?
post #1631 of 1641 Old 09-04-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I meant what is the sub volume in the AVR? What is "the other dial" on your subwoofer? Are you saying the xover in the AVR is 100?
I wrote down a bunch of things:

1) My sub-woofer is set to Vol. 5 (out of 10) and low pass xover is at 80

2) On the 675 the volume level of the sub is - (minus) 10 (all other speakers are plus 3 and 4 (Bass xover is 100)

3) The parametric EQ level is set to manual

4) Thw\e Adoptive DSP Level is on

5) Bi-Amp is set to No

6) all speakers are marked as low
post #1632 of 1641 Old 09-04-2014, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

2) On the 675 the volume level of the sub is - (minus) 10 (all other speakers are plus 3 and 4 (Bass xover is 100)

5) Bi-Amp is set to No

Youre sub is set wrong. Thats probably why it sounds so bassy. You must have some really small speakers and a fairly nice subwoofer.
Set the xover on the sub all the way up (120 or whatever). Then turn it down to 4 and rerun YPAO.
Keep adjusting the sub volume AT THE SUB and rerunning YPAO until YPAO sets sub volume IN THE AVR close to 0 (-3 to +3).
Then set ALL speakers to Small.
post #1633 of 1641 Old 09-04-2014, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

5) Bi-Amp is set to No

Hey, man.

1.Try setting your subwoofer volume dial on the actual subwoofer to 3.
2.Set the crossover on the actual subwoofer dial all the way up. When you do this it cancels the subwoofer handling of the crossover and allows the receiver to do it, which is what you want.
3. Run YPAO.
4.Make sure all your speakers are set to small.
5. Get out your SPL meter and level your speakers and sub to 75 db.

When playing movies I have to set my receiver to -25 db to -20 db fill my room, so -50 db is definitely fine. BTW, what make and model speakers and sub do you have?
I'm glad to hear back from you. Let me know how this goes. Have a good one.

Last edited by johnnymacIII; 09-04-2014 at 07:56 PM.
post #1634 of 1641 Old 09-04-2014, 09:15 PM

Question

If an update is offered but refused, does the receiver/ Yamaha nag you to install the update? I am not big on updates unless they fix a problem I am having at the time. Is it possible to turn off updates in the Yamaha menu settings. Thanks in advance.....
post #1635 of 1641 Old 09-05-2014, 01:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLATS- View Post
If an update is offered but refused, does the receiver/ Yamaha nag you to install the update? I am not big on updates unless they fix a problem I am having at the time. Is it possible to turn off updates in the Yamaha menu settings. Thanks in advance.....
No way to turn it off but it will only ask you once.
post #1636 of 1641 Old 09-05-2014, 09:27 AM

Hi,

I am new to this forum and this world. I used an LG compact system until this year.(HT503SH)
And this year i bought myself a Yamaha RXV 775 on my USA trip. Also i bought Dali Ikon6 Mk2 speakers as fronts. But i wont be able to buy rear surround speakers for a while.

I am planning to use my satellite speakers of HT503SH. Is it technically possible. It says that the HT503SH speakers are 4 Ohm. So i am planning to wire them serially. 2 speakers for left surround and 2 speakers for right surround. By the way, i see that my old system HT503SH has an output of 70 watt per channel. And i think my new Yamaha RXV775 has a bigger output than the LG

Does it burn the speakers or the AVR if i connect the serially wired speakers as surrond to my Yamaha RXV 775 ? And do i need to use my new 14 AWG cables or old thinner cables of LG HT503SH?

I neead advice as a real rookie
post #1637 of 1641 Old 09-05-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilancho View Post
Hi,

I am new to this forum and this world. I used an LG compact system until this year.(HT503SH)
And this year i bought myself a Yamaha RXV 775 on my USA trip. Also i bought Dali Ikon6 Mk2 speakers as fronts. But i wont be able to buy rear surround speakers for a while.

I am planning to use my satellite speakers of HT503SH. Is it technically possible. It says that the HT503SH speakers are 4 Ohm. So i am planning to wire them serially. 2 speakers for left surround and 2 speakers for right surround. By the way, i see that my old system HT503SH has an output of 70 watt per channel. And i think my new Yamaha RXV775 has a bigger output than the LG

Does it burn the speakers or the AVR if i connect the serially wired speakers as surrond to my Yamaha RXV 775 ? And do i need to use my new 14 AWG cables or old thinner cables of LG HT503SH?

I neead advice as a real rookie
Dont bother with the LG. Get you some speakers just as good for $50 to hold you over until you can get some nice ones.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #1638 of 1641 Old 09-12-2014, 01:44 AM

Liked: 13
In case anyone here uses it -- i updated my Yamaha RX-Vx75 WebControl greasemonkey script to work with the latest greasemonkey + firefox.

This script will enable 'full' web based control for 'lower end' x75 models:

"RX-V475",
"HTR-4066",
"RX-V500D",
"RX-V575",
"HTR-5066",
"RX-S600",
"RX-S600D",
"R-N500"

Updated build is here: https://monkeyguts.com/code.php?nav=code&id=280

it will also work in Chrome with Tampermonkey.

-Ben
post #1639 of 1641 Old 09-14-2014, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Everyone

New to the post and hope someone has advice concerning component video connections.

Just purchased RX-V775 to replace ten year old RX-V1400 because we wanted to use BluRay player with HDMI output. Our projector is great but has component video input - not HDMI. Anyway, after plugging in the projector component cables into the RX-V775's monitor out component video jacks the projector does not receive any input.

When I turn the receiver on it jumps by default to HDMI 1 and when I switch to AV1 or AV2 there is still no input on projector screen.

Any advice? The projector is ceiling mounted and we really do not want to replace it.

Thanks
post #1640 of 1641 Old 09-14-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 154
^ The receiver will not convert HDMI to component (no receiver will). So you need a Blu-ray player with component outputs (and even those are hard to find these days).

BTW, what projector do you have? If it's old enough not to have HDMI inputs, you'll probably get a huge improvement in picture quality with a new projector (even without spending too much).
post #1641 of 1641 Old 09-14-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I dont know anything about them but Amazon sells component to HDMI adaptors. Just a thought.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V775wa 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V575 7 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V675 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V475 5 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V375 5 1 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - V375 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page