Yamaha RX-V 75 Series owners thread - Page 56 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1651 of 1670 Old 09-27-2014, 01:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Default DSP Parameters

I have the rx-v375 and didn't write down the default DSP Parameters before experimenting. Can anyone give me the defaults please. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 1670 Old 09-27-2014, 06:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymacIII View Post
I have the rx-v375 and didn't write down the default DSP Parameters before experimenting. Can anyone give me the defaults please. Thanks.
You could write down your current settings and do a factory reset.
post #1653 of 1670 Old 09-27-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 245
I don't know how it works on the higher end units but the RXV375 has no indication of the YPAO EQ settings, graphic/parametric or otherwise, so if you do a factory reset you'll have to do new mic readings since you can't simply dial them back in.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #1654 of 1670 Old 09-27-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
I don't know how it works on the higher end units but the RXV375 has no indication of the YPAO EQ settings, graphic/parametric or otherwise, so if you do a factory reset you'll have to do new mic readings since you can't simply dial them back in.
Not even distance and level settings?
post #1655 of 1670 Old 09-27-2014, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Quote:
You could write down your current settings and do a factory reset.
I appreciate the reply. I went back in the manual this morning and they have the defaults listed.
post #1656 of 1670 Old 09-27-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I appreciate the reply. I went back in the manual this morning and they have the defaults listed.
Good deal.
post #1657 of 1670 Old 09-27-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

On the 375 if you do a factory reset the EQ (which is never graphically depicted for you in any sense), the distances, and the levels are all erased. In theory one could manually re-instate the distances and levels, but never the EQ; you simply have to rerun YPAO in which case you might as well let it redo the distances and levels anyways when it does the calibration again.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #1658 of 1670 Old 09-28-2014, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by arch83 View Post
Hi Everyone

New to the post and hope someone has advice concerning component video connections.

Just purchased RX-V775 to replace ten year old RX-V1400 because we wanted to use BluRay player with HDMI output. Our projector is great but has component video input - not HDMI. Anyway, after plugging in the projector component cables into the RX-V775's monitor out component video jacks the projector does not receive any input.

When I turn the receiver on it jumps by default to HDMI 1 and when I switch to AV1 or AV2 there is still no input on projector screen.

Any advice? The projector is ceiling mounted and we really do not want to replace it.

Thanks
Plugging your component video cables from teh 775's output to your projector should fix this quite easily. (mnl, p.27)

Not sure how to prevent the rcvr fr "jumping" to HDMI 1 OUT. The mnl might hv details. Try with MONITOR DETECT ON, then OFF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheeinfy View Post
Hello All,

I find that Pure Direct mode sounds thin/weak. When i switch to Straight or 2 Channel stereo, sound becomes full.

Is it the same with everyone? Does any one use pure direct mode and got good results?
I like it for some applications. It bypasses thinks like subwoofer trim (which I use, it seems to effect bass from my main Bose 401s despite lack of a sub), probably also bypasses things like Adaptive DRC, Enhancer, etc - all with a single button. A "full" sound in Straight or 2-channel indicates to me you've got some processing enabled -which is fine, to taste. Pure Direct is a simple way to just turn off all processing if you're listening at louder volume levels and don't need any boosting at all.

I can't commit, but I suspect Pure Direct also bypasses any YPAO EQ added to the speaker configuration. Might be buried in the mnl.

Sorry for mispellings, recoverin fr arthroscopic surgery here, typing 1.5-handed.

Modest "theater": Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic BDT210, Yamaha RXV775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 09-28-2014 at 01:33 PM. Reason: oops, confused upconversion for down
post #1659 of 1670 Old 09-28-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

^You were mistaken that the RXV663 converted HDMI to component [not to be confused with the other way around]; glad you have now removed that bit since in theory people may have read it or might have stumbled upon the post in the future and then go seek that unit out only to discover it didn't actually work as mentioned.

There would be tons of discussion on this unique feature had it been true since no other mainstream receiver has ever had it. [Not that it is difficult or expensive to do, I have $50 outboard products that do it, for example, but because it slaps the face of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act receivers never do it. Big companies like Yamaha, who also make BD players and need to "play ball" to get licensing and the latest and greatest HDCP decryption keys aren't about to provide it.]

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/.../RX-V663_U.pdf
page 97 of the manual, under "video conversion", confirms it will do nearly any direction of video conversion one would want, except HDMI downconversion.

Last edited by m. zillch; 09-28-2014 at 05:45 PM. Reason: edited
post #1660 of 1670 Old 09-29-2014, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I'm interested in the RX-V675 because of its 4K passthrough and 4K upconversion abilities. Does anybody have one of these hooked up to a 4K TV? If so, how does the 4K upconversion look? Does it introduce a lot of display lag?
post #1661 of 1670 Old 09-29-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Despite it being a popular feature, I'm at a loss to understand why upscaling to 4K in a $600 switch box [which also incorporates 7 power amplifiers, auto room EQ, a radio tuner, etc.] should be considered instead of the one already built in to the much more expensive video monitor?

Anyone have any links or a rock solid, undeniable explanation?

post #1662 of 1670 Old 09-29-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Despite it being a popular feature, I'm at a loss to understand why upscaling to 4K in a $600 switch box [which also incorporates 7 power amplifiers, auto room EQ, a radio tuner, etc.] should be considered instead of the one already built in to the much more expensive video monitor?

Anyone have any links or a rock solid, undeniable explanation?
None here.
post #1663 of 1670 Old 09-29-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
^You were mistaken that the RXV663 converted HDMI to component [not to be confused with the other way around]; glad you have now removed that bit since in theory people may have read it or might have stumbled upon the post in the future and then go seek that unit out only to discover it didn't actually work as mentioned.

There would be tons of discussion on this unique feature had it been true since no other mainstream receiver has ever had it. [Not that it is difficult or expensive to do, I have $50 outboard products that do it, for example, but because it slaps the face of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act receivers never do it. Big companies like Yamaha, who also make BD players and need to "play ball" to get licensing and the latest and greatest HDCP decryption keys aren't about to provide it.]

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/.../RX-V663_U.pdf
page 97 of the manual, under "video conversion", confirms it will do nearly any direction of video conversion one would want, except HDMI downconversion.
I caught my error and removed it a half hour before you responded; thanks for noticing that while still correcting me. Glad you linked to the manual, which I already have, so others can find it should they stumble upon this question.

Modest "theater": Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic BDT210, Yamaha RXV775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center.
post #1664 of 1670 Old 10-01-2014, 12:55 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheeinfy View Post
Hello All,

I find that Pure Direct mode sounds thin/weak. When i switch to Straight or 2 Channel stereo, sound becomes full.

Is it the same with everyone? Does any one use pure direct mode and got good results?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
... I like it for some applications. It bypasses thinks like subwoofer trim (which I use, it seems to effect bass from my main Bose 401s despite lack of a sub), probably also bypasses things like Adaptive DRC, Enhancer, etc - all with a single button. A "full" sound in Straight or 2-channel indicates to me you've got some processing enabled -which is fine, to taste. Pure Direct is a simple way to just turn off all processing if you're listening at louder volume levels and don't need any boosting at all.

I can't commit, but I suspect Pure Direct also bypasses any YPAO EQ added to the speaker configuration. Might be buried in the mnl.

Sorry for mispellings, recoverin fr arthroscopic surgery here, typing 1.5-handed.
=> Confirmed last night and this morning during some fiddling around.

While testing some settings against The Right Stuff on BD, I discovered another feature of the Setup | Manual Setup | Test Tone. With Test Tone enabled, you can return (not exit On Screen) to Level and set each speaker's volume trim with the Test Tone on. My -663 had this too. Nothing new here.

What I hadn't noticed before is that the test tone is active if you go into Setup | Manual Setup | Parametric EQ[1] with Test Tone On. Returning to Level, the test tone sounds decidedly different from speakers effected by YPAO EQ. (Note that you can tap ENTER on each of the YPAO settings with a "folder" icon, and hear the tone through each speaker in the same way, selecting each in turn with the UP and DOWN remote buttons.)

(Added: the tone plays in Configuration, as you change the speaker size settings, as well.)

What am I raving on about? With my speakers set with YPAO:Natural (effects front speakers), and content in 2-channel or Straight, and all other enhancements set OFF, I enabled Pure Direct. A change in tonal characteristics confirmed that Pure Direct was turning off YPAO EQ. You may like the effect of Parametric (YPAO) Eq with your speaker set (I don't). Pure Direct is a one button push to bypass this as well as other settings. The manual (p. 52) isn't very explicit. Seems we learn more with experimentation than Yamaha wishes to disclose. :P

[1] YPAO:Flat,[1a] YPAO:Front,[1b] YPAO:Natural. As per my interpretation of the manual (p. 93):
[1a] Adjusts all speakers for a flat (frequency?) response.
[1b] Adjusts all but FL and FR to match response of FL and FR.
[1c] Adjusts all speakers for a "natural sound" response, whatever that is.

All of the above is for the RX-V775 firmware v. 1.51/2.13. YMMV on other models.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 10-07-2014 at 09:25 PM.
post #1665 of 1670 Old 10-13-2014, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ive come across a problem with spotify connect and my Yamaha RXV675. I purchased a new modem and now Spotify connect which once worked fine will no longer connect to the AVR it just sits there saying avaliable on network. I can connect and play via Airplay no problem

Any help please>? Ive tried to reset the AVR and Modem with no luck

Thanks in advance
post #1666 of 1670 Old 10-20-2014, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey everyone,

I have the RX-V375 and it seems that my audio delay is progressively getting worse. I've been using the technique of matching the tv audio to the receiver audio to set the lipsync delay. It started at around 110ms and over the past couple weeks is now nearing 250ms. This is happening on both my TV input and my Blu-Ray player input. I have both set to "Straight" to avoid any more delay but it's still pretty bad. I'm concerned that I'll shortly have a delay that is more than the 250ms can fix. Anyone have any tips or ideas on how to maybe lessen it a little bit?
post #1667 of 1670 Old 10-23-2014, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

Picked up a new Yamaha RXV-475 last night, and have some questions about using it with a PS4 and XBone on HDMI....

1. What should the settings for audio be on both consoles? PCM for PS4 and bitstream for XBone?

2. What should the amp settings be - straight? Direct?

Thanks all!
post #1668 of 1670 Old 10-23-2014, 09:35 AM

Hello all,

I have the RX-V575 and oen of my favorite features was its DLNA/network connectivity options. It has been working great for over a year, then suddenly it stopped.

The router does not see the receiver, no lights are flashing on the router indicating the port is connected...I have other devices (NAS, smart TV) that connect fine through the router so I am worried the problem is with the receiver. I have tried factory resetting the receiver, switching cables, and power cycling with no change.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks!

dan
post #1669 of 1670 Old 10-23-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarleyUK View Post
Hi all,

Picked up a new Yamaha RXV-475 last night, and have some questions about using it with a PS4 and XBone on HDMI....

1. What should the settings for audio be on both consoles? PCM for PS4 and bitstream for XBone?

2. What should the amp settings be - straight? Direct?

Thanks all!
I prefer Bitstream where available, e.g. my Panasonic BDT210. My Samsung TV outputs PCM and there seem to be issues with that (TV's fault, not the amp). As per p. 102 of your manual, I think Bitstream is most compatible. BUT ... PCM will work fine.

As for what presentation/decode ... that's a matter of taste. Straight is certainly K.I.S.S., will work for stereo, 5.1, 7.1. One idiosyncracy to my setup, when I'm watching Dolby Surround (2.0) material, I sometimes use Dolby Pro Logic (PL II) Music, with center width changed from 3 to 2. This uses the side speakers to create a bit of phantom center channel that's a bit wider than just the center speaker produces. Adjust to taste, and experiment with your own setup. (This doesn't apply to Dolby Digital or DTS, TrueHD or DTS-HD MA content, which do not use the PL II(x) decoder).

This particularly works well for old monophonic movies, where we're lucky to have the soundtrack in a 2.0 format. PL II Movie still put the audio on the center channel, PL II Music creates a bit fuller soundstage.

Direct (p. 41 of your manual) should not be confused with Straight. If you set things like tone control, equalizer adjustments, Adaptive DRC, then those will be in effect in Straight. Direct literally bypasses most or all of those and routes the original audio right to the equivalent speakers (i.e. Dolby Surround 2.0 content will play in the Left and Right channels).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Zelazo View Post
Hello all,

I have the RX-V575 and oen of my favorite features was its DLNA/network connectivity options. It has been working great for over a year, then suddenly it stopped.

The router does not see the receiver, no lights are flashing on the router indicating the port is connected...I have other devices (NAS, smart TV) that connect fine through the router so I am worried the problem is with the receiver. I have tried factory resetting the receiver, switching cables, and power cycling with no change.

Thanks!
What's displayed in the menu, Network | Information (manual p. 80)?

Sounds like you've tried about everything. Have you tried connecting the amp to another port on the router, and another known good device to the amp's usual port?

E.g. if you can connect your TV, then take the TV's cable and plug it right into the AMP, and the amp doesn't work, clearly it's an issue with the amp. I'd say check the network settings, but you factory reset it, so I presume it defaults to DHCP and would connect.

Have you had any lightning storms in your area, or another anomalous event?

Last edited by ChromeJob; 10-23-2014 at 08:10 PM.
post #1670 of 1670 Old Today, 03:38 AM

thanks for the reply!

Ya, I tried all of the things you mentioned...everything on the network menu is "greyed" out...no information displays, lots of ----- lines for ip addresses, no network name, etc.

All other features of the receiver work fine...I even called yamaha technical support and stumped them, waiting for the next level up technician to call me

I am afraid that somehow the port on the receiver is busted...very annoying!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V775wa 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V575 7 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V675 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V475 5 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V375 5 1 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - V375 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page