Yamaha RX-V 75 Series owners thread - Page 57 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1681 of 1701 Old 11-14-2014, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
firmware upgrade on 675 to .160

anyone know what the firmware .160 upgrade for the yamaha 675 receiver does?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 1701 Old 11-14-2014, 07:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrpph View Post
anyone know what the firmware .160 upgrade for the yamaha 675 receiver does?
No. I updated my 675 to 1.60. Didn't seem to help or hurt anything.
post #1683 of 1701 Old 11-16-2014, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
When watching direct tv my dialogue levels are fine, but when streaming movies through Apple TV my dialogue isn't that loud, but can be too loud during action events. Is this a dynamic range issue? Any suggestions I've messed with speaker levels that doesn't seem to help.

Thanks in advance

Vizio m55
Yamaha v475
Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.0, BIC F12
PS4, AppleTV, DirecTV
post #1684 of 1701 Old 11-16-2014, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 174
^ Try turning on Adaptive DRC to see if it does what you want. Cable TV audio often has a limited dynamic range, and Adaptive DRC will reduce the dynamic range of other sources.
post #1685 of 1701 Old 11-18-2014, 04:10 PM

Firmware Update Version 1.60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
No. I updated my 675 to 1.60. Didn't seem to help or hurt anything.

Description of 1.60 is now posted.
This firmware
1. Improves connectivity of network music streaming services

post #1686 of 1701 Old 11-21-2014, 07:04 AM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
^ Try turning on Adaptive DRC to see if it does what you want. Cable TV audio often has a limited dynamic range, and Adaptive DRC will reduce the dynamic range of other sources.
will it diminish or ruin the quality of the sound at all?

Vizio m55
Yamaha v475
Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.0, BIC F12
PS4, AppleTV, DirecTV
post #1687 of 1701 Old 11-21-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Well it reduces the dynamic range, so yes it diminishes the sound. But it seemed like that's what you wanted (because there's too big a difference in volume between scenes in a movie).

Most people want the full dynamic range in movies, except at night when they're trying not to disturb the whole house (or neighbours). But by design there's a big difference in volume between quiet scenes and loud action scenes.
post #1688 of 1701 Old 11-21-2014, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi

I have a Yammy 6750WA that I am thinking about relocating into a closet with a door. It will sit on the shelf above the clothes. My question are:

1. Do you think that the internal fan of the AVR will suffice for cooling or would you install a cooling fan also in the closet?

It will share that shelf with the SAT receiver and Blue Ray player.
post #1689 of 1701 Old 11-21-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Most modern units have thermal overload protection circuits and will shut down if over heated, but of course who wants their stereo constantly shutting down if they ever use it for more than just 15 minutes, or whatever, right?

Generally, if after extended use at the highest volume you would ever tend to use it, for say a full album or movie, you can still comfortably place your full hand on the top surface and just leave it there indefinitely, then you should be safe. If however it is so hot that you need to pull your hand away for fear of burning it, you have a problem.

I wouldn't place a disc player above a hot component like a receiver because their laser alignment can be derailed by constant high heat fluctuations. Place it below the receiver since heat rises.

Ventilation fans may be in order and/or making it a point to leave the closet door open whenever the system is in use. A heavily packed closet of course has less air circulation than a fairly empty one so it is hard to tell what sorts of confines you are suggesting to us you plan to use. How many inches of unobstructed space are above the receiver's top surface is the most important factor, however clearance to the back, sides, and even front come into play to a degree as well. The owner's manual has warnings about this very issue.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Last edited by m. zillch; 11-21-2014 at 09:51 AM.
post #1690 of 1701 Old 11-21-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Most modern units have thermal overload protection circuits and will shut down if over heated, but of course who wants their stereo constantly shutting down if they ever use it for more than just 15 minutes, or whatever, right?

Generally, if after extended use at the highest volume you would ever tend to use it, for say a full album or movie, you can still comfortably place your full hand on the top surface and just leave it there indefinitely, then you should be safe. If however it is so hot that you need to pull your hand away for fear of burning it, you have a problem.

I wouldn't place a disc player above a hot component like a receiver because their laser alignment can be derailed by constant high heat fluctuations. Place it below the receiver since heat rises.

Ventilation fans may be in order and/or making it a point to leave the closet door open whenever the system is in use. A heavily packed closet of course has less air circulation than a fairly empty one so it is hard to tell what sorts of confines you are suggesting to us you plan to use. How many inches of unobstructed space are above the receiver's top surface is the most important factor, however clearance to the back, sides, and even front come into play to a degree as well. The owner's manual has warnings about this very issue.

Thank you m. zillch for your reply

Here are 2 pictures of that closet. One picture is showing the shelf itself, which is 12" wide and 42" long. The other photo is showing the space above that shelf which is 29" below the ceiling. The AVR is 7" tall
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141121_104221_resized.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	378473   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141121_104205_resized.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	378481  
post #1691 of 1701 Old 11-21-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Are you sure it will take the weight?
post #1692 of 1701 Old 11-21-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
Are you sure it will take the weight?
Yes it will
post #1693 of 1701 Old 11-21-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Will you use some external remote control IR relay system? Don't expect to need to use the remote? Will leave the closet door open whenever in use? Also, we don't know what volume levels you expect to use or for what duration, so anticipating the heat build up merely from photographs is a dubious proposition. You really need to test it.

P.S. As a system designer I once designed an IR relay system for a small rack of gear placed in a nearly sealed cabinet with a cooling fan, for a large restaurant. Rather than installing individual IR blasters in front of each component's IR eye, and the clutter of wires which would ensue (plus they fall off in heavy use) I instead placed one "room blaster" in the center of the rack, shooting outward away from the gear, and taped a sheet of aluminum foil on the inside of the cabinet door to act as a mirror. The light from the IR blaster successfully bounced around and struck all of the gear. Worked like a charm.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Last edited by m. zillch; 11-21-2014 at 01:08 PM.
post #1694 of 1701 Old 11-21-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Will you use some external remote control IR relay system? Don't expect to need to use the remote? Will leave the closet door open whenever in use? Also, we don't know what volume levels you expect to use or for what duration, so anticipating the heat build up merely from photographs is a dubious proposition. You really need to test it.

P.S. As a system designer I once designed an IR relay system for a small rack of gear placed in a nearly sealed cabinet with a cooling fan, for a large restaurant. Rather than installing individual IR blasters in front of each component's IR eye, and the clutter of wires which would ensue (plus they fall off in heavy use) I instead placed one "room blaster" in the center of the rack, shooting outward away from the gear, and taped a sheet of aluminum foil on the inside of the cabinet door to act as a mirror. The light from the IR blaster successfully bounced around and struck all of the gear. Worked like a charm.
Hi

Yes, I will use my Harmony Hub and the Ultimate (WIFI/IR)

Do not plan on leaving the closet door open at all

Sound level would be -11db occasionally and for only short (2-3 min) durrations. -24db for must movies and even less volume during all TV viewing. AVR is running at TV volume levels (less than -20bd) for about 15 yrs per day
post #1695 of 1701 Old 11-21-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMike View Post
Do not plan on leaving the closet door open at all
AVR is running at TV volume levels (less than -20bd) for about 15 yrs per day
That sounds like a lot of use, years. If this is a tightly sealed cabinet, I suspect you will need fans.

post #1696 of 1701 Old 11-21-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
That sounds like a lot of use, years. If this is a tightly sealed cabinet, I suspect you will need fans.

It's a closet...not too tightly sealed

guess I will just have to to the fried egg test
post #1697 of 1701 Old 11-22-2014, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea3 View Post
Description of 1.60 is now posted.
This firmware
1. Improves connectivity of network music streaming services

Just downloaded it and it seems to have fixed the "access error" connection issues I was sometimes having with Pandora.
post #1698 of 1701 Old Yesterday, 06:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaPolk View Post
Just downloaded it and it seems to have fixed the "access error" connection issues I was sometimes having with Pandora.
1.60 made my "access error" issues on 675 with Pandora much worse. Hardly ever happened before. Happens several times a day now.
post #1699 of 1701 Old Yesterday, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
1.60 made my "access error" issues on 675 with Pandora much worse. Hardly ever happened before. Happens several times a day now.
I have the 775 maybe thats why I duno.
I had 3 "access errors" in 1 hour then downloaded 1.60,played about 12 hours straight with no problem then turned unit off.

Just curious how did you clear your "access error" every time you got one using Pandora?
The way I cleared mine was to go into Setup,Network,turn DHCP off,wait until it says network connected (but still access error),then turn DHCP back on then it will say network connected again then it will clear the "access error" then continue to work correctly for how ever long it decides to go back to "access error"...sometimes minutes,sometimes hours,sometimes will work the rest of the day.

I have always wondered if I turned DHCP off and set a static address in that spot if it would fix the issue but I don't know what address to put in there.
That stuff confuses me lol...

This firmware seems to have fixed the "access error" so far for me. Not an issue today so far ether.
post #1700 of 1701 Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaPolk View Post
I have the 775 maybe thats why I duno.
I had 3 "access errors" in 1 hour then downloaded 1.60,played about 12 hours straight with no problem then turned unit off.

Just curious how did you clear your "access error" every time you got one using Pandora?
The way I cleared mine was to go into Setup,Network,turn DHCP off,wait until it says network connected (but still access error),then turn DHCP back on then it will say network connected again then it will clear the "access error" then continue to work correctly for how ever long it decides to go back to "access error"...sometimes minutes,sometimes hours,sometimes will work the rest of the day.

I have always wondered if I turned DHCP off and set a static address in that spot if it would fix the issue but I don't know what address to put in there.
That stuff confuses me lol...

This firmware seems to have fixed the "access error" so far for me. Not an issue today so far ether.
Static address makes no difference for me. DHCP on off makes no difference.
To clear access error I simply hit OK and then cycle through Internet radio inputs back to Pandora. I then have to rechoose a station because it always defaults back to QuickMix.
Basically I'm just leaving Pandora and coming back to it. I could probably choose any other input and come straight back.
post #1701 of 1701 Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So my rear back right channel randomly stopped working. No sound comes out of the speaker, even in test mode. I've switched speakers with one I know that works and there was sound. I've also switched the speaker wire and retested it with the new speakers and there was sound. Then I turned on the receiver later on in the day and there was no sound again? Anyone have this problem?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V775wa 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V575 7 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V675 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V475 5 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V375 5 1 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - V375 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page