Yamaha RX-V 75 Series owners thread - Page 68 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #2011 of 2023 Old 01-25-2015, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Have a question regarding the 675 vs. the 677...

I noticed that the 675 uses only the normal front 3 speakers to make the virtual CINEMA DSP for 7.1-channel Surround Sound...

While the newer 677 uses 5 speakers (which have to be all in front) to make the virtual CINEMA DSP for 7.1-channel Surround Sound...

Did Yamaha change this to make the virtual CINEMA DSP for 7.1-channel Surround Sound sound better...?

Sony XBR-65X930C (2015)
Panasonic 65VT60
Panasonic 65VT25

Pioneer Elite SC-37
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 2023 Old 01-25-2015, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
Also try changing the sub phase (on the back of the sub if it has a control), because cancellation between sub and mains near the crossover frequency is always a possibility.
Although the system isn't bullet proof, doesn't YPAO alert the consumer to that issue? I'm pretty sure many room correction systems (such as Audyssey) do.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #2013 of 2023 Old 01-25-2015, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 184
^ Not really. It's not like the main speakers where you get an out of phase warning if you wired them backwards. The sub phase is often different from the mains because of the time delay through the sub, or because of how the sub's phase knob or switch is set. If it just happens to be close to 180 degrees out of phase at the crossover frequency, you get a big drop in bass output there due to cancellation.

YPAO on the older models was not particularly good at avoiding this. Maybe the newer models are better, but it's quick to change the sub phase and see if it improves the bass response. You don't have to be perfectly in phase, you just don't want to be 180 degrees out.
post #2014 of 2023 Old 01-25-2015, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 230
I only have the subwoofer phase setting on the avr. Normal sounds much better than reverse.
post #2015 of 2023 Old 01-26-2015, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yamaha RX-V575 HDMI control on, HDMI standby through off

I'd like to use HDMI Control on my Yamaha rx-v575 so that I can use the receiver to turn my TV on/off. However, when I turn the receiver to standby/off, it goes into HDMI Standby Through mode, which displays the always-on computer it's connected to. I think this interrupts HDMI Control to the TV, so that the TV doesn't turn off. I thought I could just turn off Standby Through mode, but it seems to be linked to the HDMI Control setting (see screenshot). When I have HDMI Control on, Standby Through is stuck on "Auto".

Is there a way for me to use HDMI Control, but turn off HDMI Standby Through mode?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-01-26 at 3.02.14 PM.png
Views:	9
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	504273  
post #2016 of 2023 Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yamaha RX-V675 and Panasonic PT-AE4000U HDMI Problem

I am very new on the forum and I didn't know where to post this question so I thought this would be a good place to start from.

I am trying to setup my system with a Yamaha RX-V675 receiver and a Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector. When I connect the two together, I get no picture on the projector and sound coming from the HDMI source goes away. When I go in the Option for the active HDMI for the Signal Info, there is no signal. So, when I connect the projector on the HDMI out, it shuts down even the HDMI input.

When I connect the HDMI source, in this case PS3, directly to the projector with the same cable, it works just fine.

When I connect a different projector (Optima) to the receiver with the same cable again, it works just fine.

I reduced the resolution levels on both the HDMI source and the receiver, but they didn't help.

I updated the firmware for the receiver to F18, and the issue is still the same.

Anyone any idea?
post #2017 of 2023 Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a question about bass management and the LFE channel. Does the latter always go to the subwoofer even if it contains frequencies above the subwoofer crossover setting? Is there a specific range of frequencies for the LFE channel? And is that independent of the subwoofer crossover setting and general bass management?
post #2018 of 2023 Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I was doing some reading on audioholics and I think they might have said that the crossover setting affects the lfe signal too, not just general bass management for content in one or more of the five main channels. Is that true?

On a separate note, I played with the angle of the subwoofer so that the driver is facing my main listening position. That seems to have intensified the bass by a significant yet not huge amount.

And since that subwoofer position is not directly facing any surfaces (quite diagonal to all), it shouldn't create any obvious nulls.

Last edited by PlasmaPZ80U; Yesterday at 03:51 PM.
post #2019 of 2023 Unread Yesterday, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm using my 675 in a 5.1 set up. I think my room is too big for just 1 sub. Room is 17x16, and I have the klispch sub12. I need an additional sub, right? I can run this thing as a 5.2? Thanks
post #2020 of 2023 Unread Yesterday, 10:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by smjbh5 View Post
I'm using my 675 in a 5.1 set up. I think my room is too big for just 1 sub. Room is 17x16, and I have the klispch sub12. I need an additional sub, right? I can run this thing as a 5.2? Thanks
Only you can determine if you need an additional/better sub but yes the 675 is a 7.2 AVR.
post #2021 of 2023 Unread Today, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by smjbh5 View Post

You can connect two subs, but it's no different than if you used a Y splitter from a single output. You'll have to adjust the subs themselves to match their levels and phase.
post #2022 of 2023 Unread Today, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
You can connect two subs, but it's no different than if you used a Y splitter from a single output. You'll have to adjust the subs themselves to match their levels and phase.
But since the avr has 2 sub outputs, wouldn't ypao take care of the level and distance? Or is this something I'd have to do manually?
post #2023 of 2023 Unread Today, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Manual. Since as he said it is nothing more than an internal, passive, splitting of the wire in two, a "Y-cord", the electronic signal going to both is identical and independent control from the source device to the two sides of that split is impossible.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
a/v receiver , component cables , hdmi , optical audio , Yamaha , Yamaha Rx V375 5 1 Channel Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V475 5 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V575 7 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V675 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V775wa 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - V375 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page