Yamaha RX-V 75 Series owners thread - Page 72 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #2131 of 2149 Old 02-16-2015, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 313
What's the correct amount of sugar to add to coffee or tea?
ChromeJob likes this.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass, etc., any more than we pick the ending of a play. High fidelity means an unmodified, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original artist's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2132 of 2149 Old 02-16-2015, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Yeah, I meant guidelines and/or recommended range.
post #2133 of 2149 Old 02-16-2015, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Just wing it. Try 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.... It's not like you'll break anything. Obviously use real sounds not electronically generated recordings which have no real world reference to go by.

Back in the day, before we had sophisticated computers with supplied microphones to calibrate much more accurately than our ears can, we used to adjust subwoofers by deep male voice, like James Earl Jones. First, turn up your sub to "way too loud" to the point where male voices, not singing but talking ones, sound like they are talking into a barrel or are overly boomy. Then, step by step bring the level down until it can just pass as "realistically like what a speaking male with a deep voice might sound like in my livingroom" and you are done.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass, etc., any more than we pick the ending of a play. High fidelity means an unmodified, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original artist's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Last edited by m. zillch; 02-16-2015 at 07:35 PM.
post #2134 of 2149 Old 02-18-2015, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Cool Default Audio Input on RX-V675

My question is (hopefully) simple: the receiver works great with all of my devices, the only problem is when I first turn it on (turning on the TV/Tivo triggers it the audio defaults to "Audio 1". I can press the correct Scene button to make everything work, but ideally I would like the receiver to default to the last HDMI input I was using, or at a minimum to a specific HDMI input. Do you know how to do this?

FYI I am using ARC, supported by the TV, and it's ON. Everything works perfectly, and I'm otherwise super happy with this receiver.
post #2135 of 2149 Old 02-18-2015, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Just wing it. Try 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.... It's not like you'll break anything. Obviously use real sounds not electronically generated recordings which have no real world reference to go by.

Back in the day, before we had sophisticated computers with supplied microphones to calibrate much more accurately than our ears can, we used to adjust subwoofers by deep male voice, like James Earl Jones. First, turn up your sub to "way too loud" to the point where male voices, not singing but talking ones, sound like they are talking into a barrel or are overly boomy. Then, step by step bring the level down until it can just pass as "realistically like what a speaking male with a deep voice might sound like in my livingroom" and you are done.

I found a 2 dB boost to be the upper limit before some content including movies on cable and certain bd movies exhibits an annoying level of boominess.

Last edited by PlasmaPZ80U; 02-18-2015 at 11:10 AM.
post #2136 of 2149 Old 02-19-2015, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD13000 View Post
My question is (hopefully) simple: the receiver works great with all of my devices, the only problem is when I first turn it on (turning on the TV/Tivo triggers it the audio defaults to "Audio 1". I can press the correct Scene button to make everything work, but ideally I would like the receiver to default to the last HDMI input I was using, or at a minimum to a specific HDMI input. Do you know how to do this?

FYI I am using ARC, supported by the TV, and it's ON. Everything works perfectly, and I'm otherwise super happy with this receiver.
HDMI-CEC is your friend, if you're connecting components via HDMI. Which model do you have?

// Tapatalk on iPad Mini - Misspelling courtesy of Logitech folio kybd //

Modest "theater": Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic BDT210, Yamaha RXV775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center.
post #2137 of 2149 Old 02-19-2015, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibze View Post

What I am asking is some guidance on how I can find thay sweet spot for me.

Under settings would I increase the distance of the speakers I'd like to hear more?

Again, I am totally not saying it's the units fault. I understand it's what I like to hear.

If you'd like more out of a particular speaker (or set of speakers) you manually increase their "level". Using only a 1 dB increase will be hardly noticeable, 2 dB will be a small increase, but not always apparent for all material, 3 dB (or more) will be more easily heard, at least when there is actual content coming from that speaker [but keep in mind, for most of the movies I watch at least, the surround speakers are nearly dead silent for almost two-thirds of the movie, but this varies by movie]

I suspect you might dig the surround mode called "5ch Stereo". Give it a go.
Does this advice about dB also apply to subwoofer levels?
post #2138 of 2149 Old 02-19-2015, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Generally, yes, although the ear is less sensitive to small level diffences at both of the extreme ends of our hearing range and most sensitive in the upper mids, around 3.5 kHz or so, so it is possible that with a really low frequency of say 20 Hz [difficult for some modest subs to reproduce without substantial harmonic distortion] a 1dB change won't even be audible at all; you wouldn't really notice anything until you dial in 2 or 3 dB. [Most movies and music have only very occasional content at 20 Hz, BTW, many works have none at all.]

There are various subwoofer tests here you might want to check out:
http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests...ones_index.php
Rather than worrying about what others say you should do, why don't you take a listen for yourself.

post #2139 of 2149 Old 02-19-2015, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Generally, yes, although the ear is less sensitive to small level diffences at both of the extreme ends of our hearing range and most sensitive in the upper mids, around 3.5 kHz or so, so it is possible that with a really low frequency of say 20 Hz [difficult for some modest subs to reproduce without substantial harmonic distortion] a 1dB change won't even be audible at all; you wouldn't really notice anything until you dial in 2 or 3 dB. [Most movies and music have only very occasional content at 20 Hz, BTW, many works have none at all.]

Rather than worrying about what others say you should do, why don't you take a listen for yourself.
What are the most commonly used bass frequencies in movies and music?
post #2140 of 2149 Old 02-19-2015, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

It depends on the song, movie, notes played, and musical instrument. An electronic instrument such as a synthesizer, or a computerized special effect, can be almost any frequency the performer programs in. Of the normal acoustical instruments the piano has the largest range and all the other instruments have much more limited ranges they can reproduce:
http://genxbeats.com/wp-content/uplo...y_Spectrum.jpg
You can learn a lot about what frequencies are what by staring at RTAs [real time spectrum analyzers] for a while. Free media players such as foobar2000 have them
http://www.foobar2000.org/
and you can also download simple ones to your smartphone.

The bass instrument which kicks in at 36 seconds here in this song, bumping the lowest frequencies all the way to the left on this RTA display [in roughly the 30 to ~80 Hz range], would be a good subwoofer exerciser:
but if this particular song didn't have that instrument playing the sub would barely do much, so as you see it's entirely up to the song in question and in some instances the sub never makes a peep the entire song (/movie).

If you really want to get into it you can buy good mics and download a program called REW to measure your room and your speakers/sub more accurately than your ear, but this is not the thread to discuss it. The forum has many for that.

Last edited by m. zillch; 02-19-2015 at 11:02 PM.
post #2141 of 2149 Old 02-21-2015, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did the High Frequency Range Test (8-22 kHz) (http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests...ycheckhigh.php) and I can't really hear anything until somewhere between 15 and 14 kHz. How typical is that result for someone about 30?

Also, since I realize I'm going off-topic, what is the right part of the audio forum to post this and my other recent inquiries in?

EDIT: moved to High Frequency Range Test ( 8-22 kHz ) Questions

UN46EH6030 Calibration/Settings
Display: Samsung UN46EH6030 LED-LCD TV; Sound: Yamaha HTR-3066 AVR/AMP, Sony Core Bookshelves (Sony SS-CS5) and Center (Sony SS-CS8) as fronts, Yamaha NS-AP2600S Satellites as surrounds, Dayton Audio SUB-1200 as subwoofer; Sources: PS4 (doubles as primary BD player), Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Motorola RNG150N (Cable Box)

Last edited by PlasmaPZ80U; 02-21-2015 at 10:40 AM.
post #2142 of 2149 Old 02-27-2015, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi All,

Looking for help with streaming my digital music through my 675.
I have it connected to my network and can access my music folders on my computer.

Problem I'm having is that I think there's too much music for the receiver to read and access.
Using the app and onscreen UI it just hangs forever.
I'll give it like 10 minutes and if it doesn't at least start listing the first batch I kill it and start again because it's not likely to.

So is this normal, is it just an issue of size of music folder (abt 350G) or is it normal even at smaller folders?

Should I just get an external drive and connect it via the front USB?
Does anyone do that and any tips or bugs there?
post #2143 of 2149 Old 02-27-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowB1 View Post
Hi All,

Looking for help with streaming my digital music through my 675.
I have it connected to my network and can access my music folders on my computer.

Problem I'm having is that I think there's too much music for the receiver to read and access.
Using the app and onscreen UI it just hangs forever.
I'll give it like 10 minutes and if it doesn't at least start listing the first batch I kill it and start again because it's not likely to.

So is this normal, is it just an issue of size of music folder (abt 350G) or is it normal even at smaller folders?

Should I just get an external drive and connect it via the front USB?
Does anyone do that and any tips or bugs there?
What's your network connection?

I can tell you I use MediaMonkey to organize my music into folders such as \ album artist \ album [\ disc # ] \ [track files] . This makes it easier to browse. I have roughly 80GB of music ... and my DLNA devices (TV, AVR, BD player) start searching folders in < a minute.

Modest "theater": Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic BDT210, Yamaha RXV775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center.
post #2144 of 2149 Old Yesterday, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Does anyone have the RX-V675? Are you able to hear the bass while listening to music or when watching movies? I have the Monoprice 10565 if anyone was wondering... On the subwoofer I have 110hz Low Pass Filter as that was recommended on the manual, but I don't know what to set the crossover at, I hear 90hz was the best, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Last edited by dannphou; Yesterday at 06:57 PM.
post #2145 of 2149 Old Today, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannphou View Post
Does anyone have the RX-V675? Are you able to hear the bass while listening to music or when watching movies? I have the Monoprice 10565 if anyone was wondering... On the subwoofer I have 110hz Low Pass Filter as that was recommended on the manual, but I don't know what to set the crossover at, I hear 90hz was the best, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
I have the 675, and just let YPAO set it up. I hear bass fine, the crossover knob on the sub is set to max (the 675 adjusts it automatically) and the gain knob is in the middle.
post #2146 of 2149 Old Today, 12:41 AM

Quote:

Do you have the sub connected to the LFE outputs, or conventional L+R?

What is the sub crossover frequency set to in the amp?

If the sub is connected to the LFE outputs, set the amp crossover to 80hz to star with. Then set the subs crossover to off/defeat.

post #2147 of 2149 Old Today, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
Quote:

Do you have the sub connected to the LFE outputs, or conventional L+R?

What is the sub crossover frequency set to in the amp?

If the sub is connected to the LFE outputs, set the amp crossover to 80hz to star with. Then set the subs crossover to off/defeat.

It has the conventional L+R... There is no Crossover on the subwoofer but there is a Low Pass Filter on it, and I put that at 110, and in the receiver settings I put it at 90hz
post #2148 of 2149 Old Today, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 925
Quote:
It has the conventional L+R... There is no Crossover on the subwoofer but there is a Low Pass Filter on it, and I put that at 110, and in the receiver settings I put it at 90hz
We're you happy with that sub before you got the 675?
post #2149 of 2149 Unread Today, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
We're you happy with that sub before you got the 675?
Of course, it did come in the package with my speakers
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
a/v receiver , component cables , hdmi , optical audio , Yamaha , Yamaha Rx V375 5 1 Channel Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V475 5 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V575 7 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V675 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V775wa 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - V375 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page