Yamaha RX-V 75 Series owners thread - Page 85 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-17-2015, 06:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Yamaha RX-V 75 Series owners thread

The GUI is just a pretty picture, rows and numbers are fine.

You're right, the YPAO is detecting the sub is too loud. But the complaint was about the surrounds -- his surrounds are already boosted. If they're Klipsch RB-61 II's, they could be set to Small.

Also the crossover is set to 40Hz. That's pretty low, even if the Fronts are big bada** towers. I'd set to 60Hz at a minimum, 80Hz ideally. Then again, maybe the Fronts are big muthahs, and the sub is a little pup.

I'd bet my lunch money that he's reacting to the content he's playing, not using the surround channel as much as expected. That happens.

Modest "theater": Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic BDT210, Yamaha RXV775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 04-17-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2015, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
On a side note, I wish my 375 had that better YPAO GUI.
I agree pretty pictures are nice, but as ChromeJob mentions, in truth, simple rows of monochromatic two-color text tell you everything you need to know. What you may not realize is that not too many years ago the idea of having on screen overlay graphics (of any kind) on top of the main HD image, such as for volume changes, was completely unheard of for a receiver that has a street price of under $200. I even started a thread in search of a new receiver that did exactly this and was prepared to have to spend $1K to $2K just to get this extremely useful feature!
Help plz. OSD overlay on HDMI 1.3 1080p.

What you get for your money on these introductory Yamahas is simply amazing from the perspective of a 2007 mind set.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass, etc., any more than we pick the ending of a play. High fidelity means an unmodified, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original artist's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Last edited by m. zillch; 04-17-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 981
I agree. OSD are nice but my 467 had no OSD at all and I got along fine without it. In fact sometimes I wish the 675 would have more info on the front display so that I didn't have to turn the tv on to make changes.
fredxr2d2 likes this.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
I agree. OSD are nice but my 467 had no OSD at all and I got along fine without it. In fact sometimes I wish the 675 would have more info on the front display so that I didn't have to turn the tv on to make changes.
Big DITTO on that. My 663, and the HTR-whatever I had before that, displayed bit rates, sampling rates, etc on the front display on demand without disturbing the on screen entertainment. (Last gf would go from 0 to irritable to impatient in 6.3 seconds if I twiddled a setting or checked a throughput status on screen.)

And the on-screen only Information screen is useless watching something passed through via component video (why, Yamaha, WHY?) to the TV. Le sigh. Pfft.

// Posted with Mk II Kingston 6538 homage on 16mm Bond strap for the total Goldfinger look //

Modest "theater": Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic BDT210, Yamaha RXV775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
And the on-screen only Information screen is useless watching something passed through via component video (why, Yamaha, WHY?) to the TV. Le sigh. Pfft.
Because if the receiver takes the incoming signal and adds stuff to it, namely the graphics, before it sends it out to the TV display, it inherently isn't "just a passive switcher" any more and has to process the signal through a "video mixer". [Main image mixed with added graphics overlaid on top] If I am understanding your gripe correctly.

If there are brands out there that claim otherwise, ala "We have OSD in video pass through mode", they are lying.

I once was a dealer for a high end brand called Proceed, a division of Mark Levinson, which claimed their OSD had an optional mode where the video image was passively "passed through", however when one activated an on screen prompt the signal would temporarily disengaged the pass through, process the image and add the graphics for a few seconds, and then when the graphics were extinguished it would re-engage the pass through. This technology was certainly uncommon at the time [a little over a decade ago] however it is possible it has trickled down to more affordable brands by now. Note: when the graphics were being overlaid, the image was most certainly being processed though.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass, etc., any more than we pick the ending of a play. High fidelity means an unmodified, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original artist's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Last edited by m. zillch; 04-17-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 256
IMO, the front display is too small to display much and when on the speaker levels section, for example, it only shows the highlighted speaker level (one at a time) only... whereas the OSD shows everything and at higher resolution.

UN46EH6030 Calibration/Settings
Display: Samsung UN46EH6030 LED-LCD TV; Audio: Yamaha HTR-3066 AVR/AMP, Sony Core Bookshelves (Sony SS-CS5) and Center (Sony SS-CS8) as fronts, Cambridge Audio S20 Bookshelves (CA S20-N) as surrounds, Dayton Audio SUB-1200 as subwoofer; Sources: PS4 (doubles as primary BD player), Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Motorola RNG150N (Cable Box)
Old 04-17-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
IMO, the front display is too small to display much and when on the speaker levels section, for example, it only shows the highlighted speaker level (one at a time) only... whereas the OSD shows everything and at higher resolution.
Sure, but I was referring to older/lower models that don't have the "pretty picture" of speakers, but simply rows, on the display screen. I think. Actually I have to go back to my old manuals to refresh my memory.... :}

Old 04-17-2015, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
Sure, but I was referring to older/lower models that don't have the "pretty picture" of speakers, but simply rows, on the display screen. I think. Actually I have to go back to my old manuals to refresh my memory.... :}
well, my first hts was around 2006-2007... a cheap Sony 5.1 HTiB (only had front display and it was more limited than the 375 by quite a bit)

UN46EH6030 Calibration/Settings
Display: Samsung UN46EH6030 LED-LCD TV; Audio: Yamaha HTR-3066 AVR/AMP, Sony Core Bookshelves (Sony SS-CS5) and Center (Sony SS-CS8) as fronts, Cambridge Audio S20 Bookshelves (CA S20-N) as surrounds, Dayton Audio SUB-1200 as subwoofer; Sources: PS4 (doubles as primary BD player), Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Motorola RNG150N (Cable Box)
Old 04-18-2015, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a 675. Is it possible to play video through the USB port on the front panel? I have a USB drive with MP4s on it. I plug it in, press USB on the remote, and the receiver says "no device". I can play it through me TV, but not through the AVR. Is it even possible?
Old 04-18-2015, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by smjbh5 View Post
I have a 675. Is it possible to play video through the USB port on the front panel? I have a USB drive with MP4s on it. I plug it in, press USB on the remote, and the receiver says "no device". I can play it through me TV, but not through the AVR. Is it even possible?

No it can't play video. And it won't even see the USB drive for music unless it's formatted FAT or FAT32.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smjbh5 View Post

Wait for the AVR to scan the drive, it will switch from "no device." If it has a problem reading it, then it will stay "no device." (See my recent posts in which an Ipod Touch stopped being read until I really power cycled the AVR.)

I haven't been successful in showing videos either. With a Chromecast, I don't need to. I HAVE found limitations with the Airplay implementation, though. Craps out within 10 mins usually.

Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yamaha 575 format decoding

I have a friend who is trying to set up an RX-V575 and I am trying to help him. I am a little confused on how decoding and setting formats work on this receiver. My Harmon lets me manually select formats for different inputs, for example, if I have a two channel sound source like from a CD, I can select Dolby PIIx Music and it will decode it into 7.1 channel sound. Can you do the same thing on this receiver? It seems to automatically switch to different formats and it does this irritating unexpected to switch to "Straight" mode, even when you use the remote to set the format. Is it possible to shut off the automatic decoding? I can't seem to find anything on this in the manual.
Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvining View Post
I have a friend who is trying to set up an RX-V575 and I am trying to help him. I am a little confused on how decoding and setting formats work on this receiver. My Harmon lets me manually select formats for different inputs, for example, if I have a two channel sound source like from a CD, I can select Dolby PIIx Music and it will decode it into 7.1 channel sound. Can you do the same thing on this receiver? It seems to automatically switch to different formats and it does this irritating unexpected to switch to "Straight" mode, even when you use the remote to set the format. Is it possible to shut off the automatic decoding? I can't seem to find anything on this in the manual.
It remembers the last decoder selected for each input. Decodes are on the remote.
ChromeJob likes this.
Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
if I have a two channel sound source like from a CD, I can select Dolby PIIx Music and it will decode it into 7.1 channel sound. Can you do the same thing on this receiver? It seems to automatically switch to different formats and it does this irritating unexpected to switch to "Straight" mode, even when you use the remote to set the format.l.
Yes. But if it's a 5.1 source it will default to straight.
Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

"Surround Decode" is only for converting 2,0 to simulated 5.1/7.1. If its already 5.1/7.1 it will simply let it pass through. Hence Straight.
ChromeJob likes this.
Old Yesterday, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Yes. But if it's a 5.1 source it will default to straight.
Thanks for the response, will a 5.1 source send sound to the rear speakers in Straight mode?
Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Thanks for the response, will a 5.1 source send sound to the rear speakers in Straight mode?
Yes. Straight just means that it sends the source straight through to the speakers, without applying a Surround Decoder to it. So a 5.1 source will send sound to the rear speakers as mixed, while a 2.0 source will only send sound to the fronts in Straight mode.
Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timobkg View Post
Yes. Straight just means that it sends the source straight through to the speakers, without applying a Surround Decoder to it. So a 5.1 source will send sound to the rear speakers as mixed, while a 2.0 source will only send sound to the fronts in Straight mode.
+1
Old Today, 02:45 AM
AVS Special Member

To be picky "straight" means the incoming stream of data, such as, for example, PCM 2ch stereo sound or Dolby Digital 5.1, is decoded into the native, unadulterated, straight form. Yamaha doesn't apply any further DSP [their odd choice of words for "digital sound field processing" considering everyone else on the planet uses that same three letter acronym for the more generic concept of "digital signal processing" [which might indeed include sound field processing, however EQ, dynamic range compression, and many other manipulations are done under DSP as well].

On there ability to explain concepts like this to the consumer, using easy to understand terminology, I give them a C-... Wait a minute, considering one of their DSP modes is actually called "Standard", and it means you are no longer using standard, unadulterated, straight Dolby Digital 5.1, but rather their gimmicked version of it, I am downgrading their score to D-. Great receivers otherwise.

Last edited by m. zillch; Today at 02:59 AM.
Old Today, 08:49 AM

Yamaha RX-V 75 Series owners thread

Quote:
Yes, Straight means "sound inputs go to the speakers they are meant for," sort of 1:1. 2.0 will got to front left and front right (and LFE to the sub IF and only IF you have fronts set to "Small," enabling bass management), 5.1 will sent to FR, C, FR, SL, SR, Sub ... and 6.1 will will send to FR, C, FR, SL, SB, SR, Sub.

Surround Encodes like DD PL IIx work with 2.0 content. On my 775 it will let you select Surround Encode, but ignore it with DD 5.1, DTS 5.1, etc. With DD 2.0, it WILL work.

All this goes out the window if you enable the CinemaDSP modes (Movie, Concert Hall, etc). The AVR will use available speakers then.

In most cases, I find Straight is a good mode to leave the AVR in. Movies sound like movies, 2.0 music sounds like stereo music. Straight satisfies the KISS rule.

You'll find this stuff starting on p. 37 of the manual. I suggest you take a look-see. P. 40 has a note about playing 5.1 material into a 6.1 speaker setup.

Kudos for helping your friend out.

// Posted from Tapatalk 3.2.1 for iOS - later versions are pfft //

Last edited by ChromeJob; Today at 09:02 AM.

Tags
a/v receiver , component cables , hdmi , optical audio , Yamaha , Yamaha Rx V375 5 1 Channel Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V475 5 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V575 7 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V675 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V775wa 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - V375 by PriceGrabber.com