Yamaha RX-V 75 Series owners thread - Page 92 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #2731 of 2741 Old 07-17-2015, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 363
The miniDSP approach might be good for some who like to tinker but I see many drawbacks:

- the sub out has to be re-digitized, processed, and then converted back to analog again for the output to the sub. Audyssey and the others do all this stuff in the digital domain the whole way so there are fewer conversion steps.
- remote control? Not that I'm aware of.
- adjustable on the fly while you listen from your seated chair? Not that I'm aware of.
- on screen display to see what you are adjusting? Not that I'm aware of.
- lots of extra wiring including a power supply wire to a new extra box? Yes.
- can be manipulated and tweaked without the necessary computer being connected? I believe the answer is "NO".
- free supplied mic? No, that's an added expense.
- can you buy a microphone which has at least a basic calibration or configuration file to the device it plugs to? No.
- an integrated one box solution like an AVR? No.

I'm not 100% sure about all these things but when I last looked into it it seemed markedly more complex and hardly "less money" once you add all the do-dads to make it akin to say a basic Audyssey receiver. A Denon for example with at least 128 control points dedicated just to the sub out [Audyssey XT] can be had for $250, as one example. 512X control points for around $600, and these offer one touch calibration via remote control, supplied mics with calibration/ configuration files supplied by the main processor, with on screen TV display for convenience, and no outboard computer is necessary.

I like to drive manual transmission instead of automatic cars, so I get how people sometimes prefer manual control, but miniDSP isn't for people looking for simplicity and as for any possible claims it is "better", well that's a judgment call.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass, etc., any more than we pick the ending of a play. High fidelity means an unmodified, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original artist's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Last edited by m. zillch; 07-17-2015 at 12:35 PM. Reason: price corrections
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2732 of 2741 Old 07-17-2015, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Not sure about minidsp but I'm more interested in just measuring things with a calibrated mic like this and REW software.

http://www.minidsp.com/products/acou...urement/umik-1
post #2733 of 2741 Old 07-17-2015, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd be more inclined to buy a mic that can also serve as a general purpose mic to plug to anything rather than a USB mic which only connects to a computer, but that's me.

The Behringer ECM8000 with a power supply (or a mixer which can provide phantom power to it), for example. This way the mic can serve other recording duties, to other recording devices, down the road, after one is done with room calibration.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass, etc., any more than we pick the ending of a play. High fidelity means an unmodified, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original artist's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Last edited by m. zillch; 07-17-2015 at 02:03 PM.
post #2734 of 2741 Old 07-17-2015, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
I'd be more inclined to buy a mic that can also serve as a general purpose mic to plug to anything rather than a USB mic which only connects to a computer, but that's me.

The Behringer ECM8000 with a power supply (or a mixer which can provide phantom power to it), for example. This way the mic can serve other recording duties, to other recording devices, down the road, after one is done with room calibration.
Would it integrate with REW as easily and what kind of power supply and connection options exist? Also, my computer is a laptop and so it only has a mic jack, headphone jack, and hdmi output. I think the REW help guide said in such scenarios a usb mic connection was recommended. However, I haven't had the time to real all details of REW or compatible mics yet.
post #2735 of 2741 Old 07-17-2015, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

moved to here:

Frequency Response of Dayton Audio SUB-1200

UN46EH6030 Calibration/Settings
Display: Samsung UN46EH6030 LED-LCD TV; Audio: Yamaha HTR-3066 AVR/AMP, Sony Core Bookshelves (Sony SS-CS5) and Center (Sony SS-CS8) as fronts, Cambridge Audio S20 Bookshelves (CA S20-N) as surrounds, Dayton Audio SUB-1200 as subwoofer; Sources: PS4 (doubles as primary BD player), Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Motorola RNG150N (Cable Box)
post #2736 of 2741 Old 07-18-2015, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Regarding the Scene buttons that let you select an input, dsp mode/surround decode, and enhancer on/off with one button press, can you program more than one button to the same input? But possibly with different values for the other 2 parameters?

I mainly use HDMI 1 and 2 (PS4 and Xbox One) and would like to use the Scene 3 and 4 buttons as variations of Scene 1 and 2 or merely as 100% duplicates. Not a fan of dsp modes or enhancer but surround decode modes are useful with 2 channel sources.

Also, is there a way to put the receiver in stereo/2 channel mode for 5.1 and 7.1 sources? (For REW purposes)

Last edited by PlasmaPZ80U; 07-18-2015 at 02:06 PM.
post #2737 of 2741 Old 07-18-2015, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

More than one scene button can use the exact same input source.

post #2738 of 2741 Old 07-18-2015, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
Not sure about minidsp but I'm more interested in just measuring things with a calibrated mic like this and REW software. http://www.minidsp.com/products/acou...urement/umik-1
Using REW isn't that bad if I can do it... Getting the audio settings right in the laptop was tricky.
The instructions didn't quite match my situation. Through trial and error I got a 2.1 measurement going.
I only used the cheaper Dayton audio usb mic without extra calibration. The Dayton website has
a calibration file for every serial number for free. Close enough for the average joe.

This image from rew shows how accurate it is. This is my yamaha a1000 receiver with just the
subwoofer on. The two lines represent natural eq on and off(through). 99.9% of the lines are
on top of each other. The mic was not moved between test sweeps. This test proves that the
a100x line has(had/a1050) no subwoofer eq. To test with a dd 5.1 input set receiver to music 2 channel stereo.

It will play as 2.1 unless pure direct is selected. At which point the subwoofer, x/o and eq will turn off.
And yes I could use some subwoofer eq. It looks better around 80 hz(crossover level) with the fronts on.
I do have almost flat response down to 17hz. Xt32 in the exact same setup gave me a flatter plot down
to 16hz. Rew doesn't do any eq. I could probably use a minidsp, but I can live with 18hz loud.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	YAMAHA A1000 SUBWOOFER OUT.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	836954  

Last edited by kikkenit2; 07-18-2015 at 11:28 PM.
post #2739 of 2741 Old 07-19-2015, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
Not sure about minidsp but I'm more interested in just measuring things with a calibrated mic like this and REW software. http://www.minidsp.com/products/acou...urement/umik-1
Using REW isn't that bad if I can do it... Getting the audio settings right in the laptop was tricky.
The instructions didn't quite match my situation. Through trial and error I got a 2.1 measurement going.
I only used the cheaper Dayton audio usb mic without extra calibration. The Dayton website has
a calibration file for every serial number for free. Close enough for the average joe.

This image from rew shows how accurate it is. This is my yamaha a1000 receiver with just the
subwoofer on. The two lines represent natural eq on and off(through). 99.9% of the lines are
on top of each other. The mic was not moved between test sweeps. This test proves that the
a100x line has(had/a1050) no subwoofer eq. To test with a dd 5.1 input set receiver to music 2 channel stereo.

It will play as 2.1 unless pure direct is selected. At which point the subwoofer, x/o and eq will turn off.
And yes I could use some subwoofer eq. It looks better around 80 hz(crossover level) with the fronts on.
I do have almost flat response down to 17hz. Xt32 in the exact same setup gave me a flatter plot down
to 16hz. Rew doesn't do any eq. I could probably use a minidsp, but I can live with 18hz loud.
So, going through the music dsp modes, 2 channel stereo is an option?

And exactly how do you have just the subwoofer on? LFE channel selected in REW?

The REW usb mic guide I was reading earlier was assuming an Audyssey AVR was being used so I thought asking here was more appropriate.
post #2740 of 2741 Old 07-19-2015, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Regarding the test tone built into the receiver for manual speaker level calibration, does it bypass or include changes made in the option menu like subwoofer trim or tone controls?
post #2741 of 2741 Old Today, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Regarding YPAO and reference level, is this normal?

Frequency Response of Dayton Audio SUB-1200

UN46EH6030 Calibration/Settings
Display: Samsung UN46EH6030 LED-LCD TV; Audio: Yamaha HTR-3066 AVR/AMP, Sony Core Bookshelves (Sony SS-CS5) and Center (Sony SS-CS8) as fronts, Cambridge Audio S20 Bookshelves (CA S20-N) as surrounds, Dayton Audio SUB-1200 as subwoofer; Sources: PS4 (doubles as primary BD player), Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Motorola RNG150N (Cable Box)
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
a/v receiver , component cables , hdmi , optical audio , Yamaha , Yamaha Rx V375 5 1 Channel Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V475 5 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V575 7 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V675 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V775wa 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - V375 by PriceGrabber.com