Yamaha RX-V 75 Series owners thread - Page 94 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #2791 of 2806 Old 08-17-2015, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
I can't say having a single crossover point is ideal, but if faced with a situation where the rear speakers called for a much higher frequency than the three fronts, rather than catering to the weakest point, the little ones in the back, I'd be inclined to say "screw 'em" and optimize my system for the fronts. They are so much more important than the rears and movies don't usually send deep bass to the rears anyways. That's what the LFE channel is for.

This, admittedly, may buck conventional wisdom.
Currently at a 80Hz crossover with REW sub distance tweak... makes the mains and center perform at their best and sub sounds better too. However, now YPAO likes 120Hz crossovers... go figure.

details here:

Do subs sound best at 80Hz and under only (crossovers)?

On a side note, the speaker levels set by YPAO line up very, very well with REW+UMIK-1.

UN46EH6030 Calibration/Settings
Display: Samsung UN46EH6030 LED-LCD TV; Audio: Yamaha HTR-3066 AVR/AMP, Sony Core Bookshelves (Sony SS-CS5) and Center (Sony SS-CS8) as fronts, Cambridge Audio S20 Bookshelves (CA S20-N) as surrounds, Dayton Audio SUB-1200 as subwoofer; Sources: PS4 (doubles as primary BD player), Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Motorola RNG150N (Cable Box)

Last edited by PlasmaPZ80U; 08-17-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 2806 Old 08-17-2015, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
For single listener audiences I don't think it much matters. Where multi-position measurements excel is for covering a larger sweet spot with a reasonably good averaged* sound. Single measurements might actually be better for single listeners.

*Audyssey based units use a more sophisticated algorithm called "clustering", not averaging, where they intelligently weigh some measurements more heavily than others which appear to be anomalous oddballs.
Would a user with a single listening point just measure repeatedly in the MLP or would they also measure slightly left, right, forward, backward, etc.?

Display: Samsung UN46EH6030 LED-LCD TV; Audio: Yamaha HTR-3066 AVR/AMP, Sony Core Bookshelves (Sony SS-CS5) and Center (Sony SS-CS8) as fronts, Cambridge Audio S20 Bookshelves (CA S20-N) as surrounds, Dayton Audio SUB-1200 as subwoofer; Sources: PS4 (doubles as primary BD player), Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Motorola RNG150N (Cable Box)
post #2793 of 2806 Old 08-17-2015, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 370
I'd say with multiple mic position test systems, yet knowing there's only going to be one listener, the best would be to move the mic about the area of the one head but just by a matter of a couple of inches in each direction, not feet.

With Audyssey the first mic run is the most important in that all the distances, levels, and phase are determined by that one. It should be dead center to the one listening head. All the others after that are only to get a better feel for how the frequency response varies from seat to seat and then it clusters those together to make a composite picture of how to best correct for everyone in terms of EQ.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass, etc., any more than we pick the ending of a play. High fidelity means an unmodified, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original artist's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Last edited by m. zillch; 08-17-2015 at 07:10 PM.
post #2794 of 2806 Old 08-17-2015, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Yamaha RX-V 75 Series owners thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
Some versions of YPAO have multi position measurement?
Yes.

“Toby! I got me a regular Ben-Hur down here...”
A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 08-17-2015 at 08:54 PM.
post #2795 of 2806 Old 08-18-2015, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
With Audyssey the first mic run is the most important in that all the distances, levels, and phase are determined by that one. It should be dead center to the one listening head. All the others after that are only to get a better feel for how the frequency response varies from seat to seat and then it clusters those together to make a composite picture of how to best correct for everyone in terms of EQ.
Interesting, I didn't know that only the first point did everything and the rest were just for getting a broader picture of frequency response throughout the listening area.

Last edited by PlasmaPZ80U; 08-18-2015 at 04:53 AM.
post #2796 of 2806 Old Yesterday, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Well this is interesting, I was playing around with some sound settings on my samsung 8550 TV and what was available while watching the Smart Hub apps such as Netflix with PCM, Dolby Digital, and DTS Nero 2:5.

Before that the setting on the 8550 was set to Dolby Digital and everything is fine but now Dolby Digital on a TV setting is grayed out.

Now when I play a DTS HD Master blu-ray disc the display on the AVR alternates between dts-hd master and dts-es matrix.

Before I messed with the sound settings on the TV the AVR just displayed DTS high definition master when the same disc was played.

Has anybody seen the display on the AVR alternate between DTS high definition master and dts-es matrix?
post #2797 of 2806 Old Today, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwitterLiver View Post
Well this is interesting, I was playing around with some sound settings on my samsung 8550 TV and what was available while watching the Smart Hub apps such as Netflix with PCM, Dolby Digital, and DTS Nero 2:5.

Before that the setting on the 8550 was set to Dolby Digital and everything is fine but now Dolby Digital on a TV setting is grayed out.

Now when I play a DTS HD Master blu-ray disc the display on the AVR alternates between dts-hd master and dts-es matrix.

Before I messed with the sound settings on the TV the AVR just displayed DTS high definition master when the same disc was played.

Has anybody seen the display on the AVR alternate between DTS high definition master and dts-es matrix?

No. What's the bd player's info display show when this is happening?

A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.

post #2798 of 2806 Old Today, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
Quote:

No. What's the bd player's info display show when this is happening?
The BR player display shows " DTS-HD MSTR DTS-ES Mtrx"
post #2799 of 2806 Old Today, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
have you engaged a DSP mode/surround decode mode? make sure the AVR is in "Straight" mode

post #2800 of 2806 Old Today, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well, that stumps me, never seen it. Are you sending PCM or Bitstream from the player? I would recommend Bitstream, let the AVR decode.

Also, turn off any audio enhancement the player is doing (e.g. "high quality audio,""enhanced audio").

post #2801 of 2806 Old Today, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I have a RX-V675. Often when playing the front display will keep cycling between Dolby Digital/Dolby Pro logic etc. I assume this is because the signal isn't being detected properly? Although there are no sound drops. Other times there is no such cycling.

Another question about calibration - based on what I read, I did the following today -

- used an SPL app on my phone (till I buy a meter later)
- set master volume to 0.0 (since I read Yamaha test tones depend on master volume, and the test tone will be at -30dB only when vol is at 0)
- started the test tones for each speaker

Now here's the problem - the volume at my listening position is easily > 90dB according to the meter! So to make it 75dB I'd have to set each speaker to more than the -10dB which is the max. I think something is wrong here, either my meter is wildly inaccurate or am I doing something wrong?
post #2802 of 2806 Unread Today, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

This is exactly what I also see with DTS-HD Master blurays! The display cycles between DTS-HD Mstr and DTS-ES, I think it may have something to do with the 'Extended Surround' option. It is set to 'Auto' which is supposed to matrix the sound to 7.1 speakers if present. and since I don't have them I have no idea what it is doing.
post #2803 of 2806 Unread Today, 10:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked: 1134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
I have a RX-V675. Often when playing the front display will keep cycling between Dolby Digital/Dolby Pro logic etc. I assume this is because the signal isn't being detected properly? Although there are no sound drops. Other times there is no such cycling.
When using the "surround decoder" setting it will cycle if its a 2.0 source and will not cycle if its a 5.1/7.1 source.
post #2804 of 2806 Unread Today, 10:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Another question about calibration - based on what I read, I did the following today -

- used an SPL app on my phone (till I buy a meter later)
- set master volume to 0.0 (since I read Yamaha test tones depend on master volume, and the test tone will be at -30dB only when vol is at 0)
- started the test tones for each speaker

Now here's the problem - the volume at my listening position is easily > 90dB according to the meter! So to make it 75dB I'd have to set each speaker to more than the -10dB which is the max. I think something is wrong here, either my meter is wildly inaccurate or am I doing something wrong?
You cant use the receivers built in test tones to calibrate.
Your phone app is most likely wildly inaccurate.
post #2805 of 2806 Unread Today, 10:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
This is exactly what I also see with DTS-HD Master blurays! The display cycles between DTS-HD Mstr and DTS-ES, I think it may have something to do with the 'Extended Surround' option. It is set to 'Auto' which is supposed to matrix the sound to 7.1 speakers if present. and since I don't have them I have no idea what it is doing.
Try setting Extended Surround to Off and see what happens.
post #2806 of 2806 Unread Today, 10:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
How many speakers do you have?
What format is the bluray (5.1, 7.1)?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
a/v receiver , component cables , hdmi , optical audio , Yamaha , Yamaha Rx V375 5 1 Channel Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V475 5 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V575 7 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V675 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V775wa 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - V375 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page