Connecting: Smart TV & Receiver with speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-26-2013, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Components:
Smart HDTV (purchasing soon, replacing non-smart HDTV)
FiOS HD STB
Receiver with HDMI
Blu-ray
surround speakers
SVHS player/recorder

What's the best way to connect for best audio/video?

Today I have all of the components connected to the receiver and the TV speakers turned all the way down. I select which component I want to watch with the receiver.

Especially with a smart TV, would it be better to connect the HDMI components to the TV and use the Input control of the TV to choose which component to watch? I assume HDMI could be used to send the audio to the receiver so the audio of whatever input was being watched would be sent to the receiver to power the speakers?

thanks!

Jaums
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-26-2013, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 130
No. Leave your components connected as they are now, then add a connection from the TV to the receiver for sound from Smart TV apps. It can be an optical connection or, if your TV and AVR both support it, you can use ARC (Audio Return Channel) over the same HDMI cable that feeds video to the TV.

If you connect everything to the TV, you'll end up with stereo for some sources, perhaps all of them except for the Smart TV sound. Most TVs only pass stereo from external devices.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-27-2013, 01:15 PM

Your (HDMI) receiver's Owner Manual would provide answers to your questions similarly to those from BIslander. Of course his answers added additional knowledge from the forum smile.gif!

The general idea is that the receiver is the HDMI switcher of all sources (not the TV). But then, the kicker is that many of your sources, except for the Blu-ray and TV, are not HDMI compatible. I doubt that your STB is (I can be wrong), but the SVHS player is definitely not HDMI compatible.

As for the Smart TV replacement, you may not want to expect too much from its "smart" features. Sure, for simple surfing, email checking, even some Youtube video, it works fine, and you may need an extra wireless keyboard for ease of navigating. But the latest smart TV may still not have the same processing power as that of a laptop. FWIW, I use a laptop connecting to the HDTV by HDMI cable for "heavy" web surfing, e.g when the wife wants to watch BNN video, as the smart TV is still so slow that I may as well quit frown.gif!
post #4 of 5 Old 03-27-2013, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies!

The TV I'm planning is Samsung UN60F8000. BTW, the FiOS HD STB is HDMI.

My concern is the best way to pick up the audio from TV sources, such as Netflix, YouTube, for it to reach the receiver and surround speakers. Sounds like the answer is to use ARC, which this TV does have, per the specs. Would that mean 2 HDMIs between the TV & receiver? One to send the video feed to the TV when the source is something other than the TV and one for the ARC?

Fm TV manual: This TV supports 3D and ARC (Audio Return Channel) functions via an HDMI cable. ARC enables
digital sound to be output using just an HDMI cable. However, ARC is only available through the HDMI
(ARC) port and only when the TV is connected to an ARC-enabled AV receiver. Connect the HDMI
cable to the TV's HDMI (ARC) connector and the device's HDMI output connector.
"" Certain functions such as the Smart Hub may not be available if 3D Auto View is set to On while Source is
in HDMI mode. In this case, set 3D Auto View or 3D Mode to Off.

So I have to check to see if my receiver (several years old) has ARC.

Duh: From what BIslander says, it sounds like an 'audio out' fm the TV to 'in' to the receiver, but from the Samsung TV manual, it sounds like the opposite . . . . ?
post #5 of 5 Old 03-27-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 130
ARC and optical: Two different approaches.

ARC uses the same HDMI cable that sends video and audio from the receiver to the TV. If both devices support ARC and have HDMI CEC enabled, you can back feed audio from the TV set to the receiver over just the one cable.

Optical is a separate cable from the TV's digital audio output to any available optical input on the receiver. The digital audio output is usually active by default on most TVs. But, check your owner's manual to see whether you need to enable it. And, there may be a setting that controls whether the output is stereo PCM or DD 5.1.

Even though optical is an extra cable, it's generally bullet-proof. It just works. ARC can be flaky and using HDMI CEC can have other undesirable impacts, depending on your specific equipment.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page