Pioneer SC-1522-K 9.2 Hook-up - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 37 Old 03-26-2013, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am very new to receivers and basically purchased the Pioneer SC-1522-K 9.2 because Costco had an incredible deal on it and I desperately need more HDMI ports. Please can someone tell me if I'm suppose to hook my cable box to the receiver or do I leave my cable box connected to my HDTV? TNA Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 03-26-2013, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmsyko View Post

I am very new to receivers and basically purchased the Pioneer SC-1522-K 9.2 because Costco had an incredible deal on it and I desperately need more HDMI ports. Please can someone tell me if I'm suppose to hook my cable box to the receiver or do I leave my cable box connected to my HDTV? TNA Any advice would be greatly appreciated

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Pioneer+SC-1522K+manual

Or open the hardcopy that came in the box.
post #3 of 37 Old 03-27-2013, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

Please can someone tell me if I'm suppose to hook my cable box to the receiver ...
Yes, run an HDMI cable from cable box to AVR, then another HDMI cable from AVR to TV.

Greg Lee
post #4 of 37 Old 03-27-2013, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Receiver to TV via one HDMI cable and every component you own straight into the receiver. Done.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #5 of 37 Old 03-27-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Yep, make sure to turn on hdmi pass through on recover so you could still watch what ever you want with reciever off. If you have a smart phone, get the app for it, it's heads and shoulder better that the cheesy remote. One of the worst remote I've ever seen.
post #6 of 37 Old 03-27-2013, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I am also considering purchasing this AVR, can someone recommend speakers and subs to go with this. Currently I have a HTIB and I don't think I can use those speakers with this receiver correct?

I noticed that this receiver has airplay, does that mean I will be able to play Spotify from my iphone through this receiver.
post #7 of 37 Old 03-27-2013, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys so much now I have one other problem I'm using a sound bar for speaker I don't think I can hook the soundbar to the AVR the manual has me hooking it to the HDTV HDMI(ARC)#2. I have no sound. I know I should probably be using some sort of elaborate speaker system with this, but it's not in my plans at the moment. I like the receiver because I needed the extra HDMI's
post #8 of 37 Old 03-27-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post

I am also considering purchasing this AVR, can someone recommend speakers and subs to go with this. Currently I have a HTIB and I don't think I can use those speakers with this receiver correct?
You might be able to use your HTIB speakers -- it depends. If your HTIB speakers attach by RCA connectors, I think that's a bad sign, but if they're screw-on connectors, that's a good sign. I've never had an HTIB, and I don't know much about them. If you could say specifically what model HTIB you have, that would be helpful.

There are lots and lots of good speaker sets. Give us a price range. Remember AVS has special HTIB and speaker forums. I have Axiom speakers and I think they are a good match for the 1522, since several are 4 ohm or 6 ohm impedance, which the 1522 has no problem with. Except most would say that the Axiom subwoofers are overpriced.

Greg Lee
post #9 of 37 Old 03-27-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... I don't think I can hook the soundbar to the AVR ...
I'd guess you're right, but please say specifically what soundbar you have, so someone more knowledgeable than me can tell you if there's a way to use the soundbar speakers alone. If you do need to buy speakers, I suggest you look on Craigslist.

Greg Lee
post #10 of 37 Old 03-27-2013, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 36
is the soundbar powered? if so, does it have rca input?
post #11 of 37 Old 03-27-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:

I noticed that this receiver has airplay, does that mean I will be able to play Spotify from my iphone through this receiver.

What is your budget for speakers and a sub? Lots of choices out there. But you don't want to move only slightly higher than the HTiB type quality you have already... that wouldn't be worth it.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #12 of 37 Old 03-27-2013, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not quite sure by what you mean when you say Powered? Could it mean has to be to an AC source? If yes than yes it is powered also has a wireless sub-woofer I have the VIZIO VHT215. I'm sorry guys my husband use to do all this stuff for me but I am recently widowed so I'm do the best I can but learning many things daily. Just trying to get everything hooked up for the kids to ease the transition of things. We have numerous devices, I'm trying to hook to this AVR, Roku, 2 game machines a mac mini and the sound bar not enough HDMI slots on the TV so got this Receiver. I greatly appreciate all the help from the forum. Got everything going except for the sound
post #13 of 37 Old 03-27-2013, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Vizio VHT215 sound bar with wireless subwoofer. Thank you so much
post #14 of 37 Old 03-27-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

You would have to take a stereo analog RCA patch cable from the front left/right channel pre-amp outputs on the back of the Pioneer receiver into the RCA stereo inputs on the Vizio. Plug all your A/V components into the Pioneer via the HDMI plugs. In your receiver's menu, tell it you only have left and right front speakers with no sub.

If you could specifically list the make and model of all the equipment you want to plug into the receiver, it would help a great deal with our hookup advice (and lets us know which cables you need). smile.gif

The receiver becomes the A/V switcher for your components and the Vizio will be your amp and speaker set. Use a high speed HDMI cable from the HDMI monitor out on the Pioneer to the TV's HDMI input for video.

With this kind of complicated Hodge-podge setup, I would strongly consider getting a new surround speaker package and sub at some point in the future. It'll sound a heck of a lot better and you won't have such a hassle. We're happy to help with suggestions on that front as well when you're in a position to do such an upgrade.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

post #15 of 37 Old 03-27-2013, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Is that pass through a setting on the remote?
post #16 of 37 Old 03-27-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is that pass through a setting on the remote?

It's in the video output settings menu of the receiver itself. Page 66 in the manual on HDMI setup... it's listing number 8: the HDMI Standby Through setting.

post #17 of 37 Old 03-27-2013, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you...I haveHDMI cables, I have 1 Digital Opitical cable all of the games, Roku, and Mac Mini hooked up through HDMI. The sound bar has HDMI on it as well
post #18 of 37 Old 03-27-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you...I haveHDMI cables, I have 1 Digital Opitical cable all of the games, Roku, and Mac Mini hooked up through HDMI. The sound bar has HDMI on it as well

However, for what you want to do with the receiver, you'll want to use the analog RCA audio input on the Vizio instead. You're turning the receiver into a pre-amp.

post #19 of 37 Old 03-27-2013, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Please help one more thing I"m so sorry how dumb I am. It is so many red white on the back of the Pioneer receiver not sure which one to use. To make matters worst Visio gave me a 3.5 MM to RCA cable(red/white) the end you put in the sound bar is black with the red/white opposite end, but there is also a single black cable black on both ends called 3.5 MM cable. Do I just ignore the single black cable just use the one black/red/white labeled RCA? Right under the adapter port (towards the middle) I see red white holes, the 1st one says IN 1 CD, 2nd= Front, then & Sub-woofer. Do I put the RCA red/white cable in the holes that say front? They are located in the middle section of Pioneer right above the things that say Front Height.
post #20 of 37 Old 03-27-2013, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

PS in the manual on page 66 it states if the TV supports the HDMI ARC function the sound of the TV is input to the receiver via the HDMI OUT terminal says no need to connect an adio cable. Set ARC at HDMI Setup to on. My TV has HDMI ARC and the Visio sound bar has HDMI ARC too
post #21 of 37 Old 03-28-2013, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

You might be able to use your HTIB speakers -- it depends. If your HTIB speakers attach by RCA connectors, I think that's a bad sign, but if they're screw-on connectors, that's a good sign. I've never had an HTIB, and I don't know much about them. If you could say specifically what model HTIB you have, that would be helpful.

There are lots and lots of good speaker sets. Give us a price range. Remember AVS has special HTIB and speaker forums. I have Axiom speakers and I think they are a good match for the 1522, since several are 4 ohm or 6 ohm impedance, which the 1522 has no problem with. Except most would say that the Axiom subwoofers are overpriced.

I will post the exact model number and weather or not the speakers are attached by RCA connectors or not. I tried looking for a similar HTIB and found this (newer model) and here are the specifications
1000W
Front 160W x 2 (1kHz, 3ohms, 10% THD)
Center 160W (1kHz, 3ohms, 10% THD)
Surround 160W x 2 (1kHz, 3ohms, 10% THD)
Subwoofer 200W (100Hz, 3ohms, 10% THD)
Power Output [Home Theater Mode (FTC)]
Total Power 430W
Front 60W x 2 (120Hz-20kHz, 3ohms, 1% THD)
Center 90W (120Hz-20kHz, 3ohms, 1% THD)
Surround 60W x 2 (120Hz-20kHz, 3ohms, 1% THD)
Subwoofer 100W (45Hz-120Hz, 3ohms, 1% THD)

mine is from 2009 and had a dvd player. I am afraid that since this newer one has a 3 ohms mine being older will also definitely have that which I have read cannot be used with the Stand alone receivers.

Also, If I can recall correctly, I think I connected the speaker wire ends into the red and white things on the back of the HTIB receiver.
post #22 of 37 Old 03-28-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Bascially, if your HTIB brand name is not Bose, you can reuse those speakers. Get a decent subwoofer though because the ones come with HTIB usually suck. You neeed a sub that is rate 400W and up and 10 to 12" and up. Then, you can slowly upgrade your speakers later (I bought all mine from eBay), starting from fronts and center speakers.
post #23 of 37 Old 03-28-2013, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Please help one more thing I"m so sorry how dumb I am. It is so many red white on the back of the Pioneer receiver not sure which one to use. To make matters worst Visio gave me a 3.5 MM to RCA cable(red/white) the end you put in the sound bar is black with the red/white opposite end, but there is also a single black cable black on both ends called 3.5 MM cable. Do I just ignore the single black cable just use the one black/red/white labeled RCA? Right under the adapter port (towards the middle) I see red white holes, the 1st one says IN 1 CD, 2nd= Front, then & Sub-woofer. Do I put the RCA red/white cable in the holes that say front? They are located in the middle section of Pioneer right above the things that say Front Height.

Buy some decent speakers. If you are going to use pre-out of the Pioneer to send to you sound bars, you are just wasted the majority of the benefits of the receiver (it's 9-channel digital amps). You will not hear any better sound than you use your soundbar alone.

If you really want to use the sound bar speakers but take advantage of the new receiver, you need open up the sound bar the connect wires directly to the speakers inside. But alas, those tiny speakers inside the sound bar are really not worth it.

You need spent at least the same money on speakers, if not more, to appreciate the new receiver. Otherwise, it is really a waste.
post #24 of 37 Old 03-28-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will post the exact model number and weather or not the speakers are attached by RCA connectors or not. I tried looking for a similar HTIB and found this (newer model) and here are the specifications
1000W
Front 160W x 2 (1kHz, 3ohms, 10% THD)
Center 160W (1kHz, 3ohms, 10% THD)
Surround 160W x 2 (1kHz, 3ohms, 10% THD)
Subwoofer 200W (100Hz, 3ohms, 10% THD)
Power Output [Home Theater Mode (FTC)]
Total Power 430W
Front 60W x 2 (120Hz-20kHz, 3ohms, 1% THD)
Center 90W (120Hz-20kHz, 3ohms, 1% THD)
Surround 60W x 2 (120Hz-20kHz, 3ohms, 1% THD)
Subwoofer 100W (45Hz-120Hz, 3ohms, 1% THD)

mine is from 2009 and had a dvd player. I am afraid that since this newer one has a 3 ohms mine being older will also definitely have that which I have read cannot be used with the Stand alone receivers.

Also, If I can recall correctly, I think I connected the speaker wire ends into the red and white things on the back of the HTIB receiver.

Those power ratings are typically overrated by a lot. But 3ohm speakers maybe a concern. This receiver is designed to support 4ohm speakers. So, it may be able to drive 3 ohms but you have to somehow limit your volume so that the receiver won't shutdown by over-current. And your total output wattage will suffer as well. The Amp inside is rated 170w per channel @6ohms. So you would expect 85w or less per channel @ 3ohms.
post #25 of 37 Old 03-28-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey Sid369, it might be better for the OP if you start your own thread to ask your questions, so it's not hijacked.

post #26 of 37 Old 03-28-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

PS in the manual on page 66 it states if the TV supports the HDMI ARC function the sound of the TV is input to the receiver via the HDMI OUT terminal says no need to connect an adio cable. Set ARC at HDMI Setup to on. My TV has HDMI ARC and the Visio sound bar has HDMI ARC too
Don't worry about the Audio Return Channel (ARC) functions right now. Just hook the cable box to the Pioneer receiver via HDMI cable. Don't hook any HDMI cables up to the sound bar. You'll just confuse things.

post #27 of 37 Old 03-28-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am afraid that since this newer one has a 3 ohms mine being older will also definitely have that which I have read cannot be used with the Stand alone receivers.
That's discouraging. The 1522 is not rated for 3 ohm speakers.

Greg Lee
post #28 of 37 Old 03-28-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Look for the grouping of Pre-amp Out RCA plugs on the back of the Pioneer receiver. Attach the red RCA cable plug to the Front Right out and the white to the Front Left out. Attach the single black cable to the Sub 1 pre-amp out on the Pioneer. On the VIZIO, attach the red and white plugs to the Left/Right Front In (red is always Right, white is always Left), and the black to the Sub-woofer In.

In the Pioneer's speaker setup menu, say YES to left and right speakers and YES to a subwoofer. NO to surround speakers. Set a basic volume level on the VIZIO (maybe to 3/4... just so long as you don't start getting hissing or noise out of the sound bar) and then control the main volume with the Pioneer.

--- Don't know if you read this a few hours ago... my keyboard started acting up and I had to get new batteries. Sorry if it seemed to get cut off in mid sentence.

And yes, the best thing to do would to be to look into some new speakers and a subwoofer when that's possible, and use the sound bar in the bedroom or something like that.

post #29 of 37 Old 03-28-2013, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Hey Sid369, it might be better for the OP if you start your own thread to ask your questions, so it's not hijacked.

Didn't mean to do it. I will start another one.
post #30 of 37 Old 03-28-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Didn't mean to do it. I will start another one.

Cool! Will definitely look at it. smile.gif

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Sc 1522k 9 2 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - 1522k by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page