Why did Yamaha place the USB / Apple port inside the front door? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-26-2013, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why did Yamaha place the USB / Apple port inside the front door?
the cable looks fugly, the door cannot be shut.... why Yamaha??? why??????
there is plenty of space on the back//.. it ruins the front.. feels like white trash on my high end receiver...frown.gif(((
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-26-2013, 11:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Don't feel bad. My $5500 Denon AVR has a USB port up front. A HUGE flap ( 2.5" x 9" ) has to be flipped down in order to gain access to the USB and other buttons. It DOES have a port in the back though. My Dish DVR USB port is behind a cover that flips open vertically. My only device that has the ports uncovered on the front is the Oppo BDP-103. I assume they do this to protect them from dust.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #3 of 9 Old 03-26-2013, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 81
They didn't expect you do leave your iPod connected permanently, and felt that most people would find it more convienent to plug in their portable USB devices at the front rather than the back.

Personally, I think receivers should have fully functional USB ports at the back and front of the recevier. The back for permanent connections of USB devices and the front for temporary ones, but the industry prefers to have them on the front only.
post #4 of 9 Old 03-27-2013, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Just calm down and relax, it's such a trivial issue compared to a lot of things in life. If this is the only thing that bothers or upsets you then you must live in utopia.smile.gif

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #5 of 9 Old 03-27-2013, 02:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Lol They did it to aggravate people who think appearance is more important than function. If they only put it in the back people would complain that its hard to get to. Now that would be a legitimate gripe.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #6 of 9 Old 03-27-2013, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I think the OP would just prefer that the front USB slot be outside of the door (not around back). However, there are probably people who wish that the front HDMI were outside, or the red-white-yellow connections for their camcorder, etc., etc. And if they were all outside the door, the aesthetic that Yamaha is going for is lost.

In a separate post the OP said that he was going to return it because of this. Oh well...

post #7 of 9 Old 03-27-2013, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 1553
I would like to know why Yamaha did away with the rec button on the remote so I can skip disc on my cd-600?? my 467 had that button but my new 773 does not? Overall Im happy with the upgrade tho, Love the av controller app and interface!!

Oh and regards to the op, I find it very convenient that the usb port is on front. That way when I wireless tether from my note 2 to my y-10, I can maintain a charge on the device.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-27-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII View Post

I think the OP would just prefer that the front USB slot be outside of the door (not around back). However, there are probably people who wish that the front HDMI were outside, or the red-white-yellow connections for their camcorder, etc., etc. And if they were all outside the door, the aesthetic that Yamaha is going for is lost.

In a separate post the OP said that he was going to return it because of this. Oh well...
Wow! rolleyes.gif I guess anything is better than having white trash on the front of your receiver. biggrin.gif

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #9 of 9 Old 03-27-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by racingbird View Post

Why did Yamaha place the USB / Apple port inside the front door?
the cable looks fugly, the door cannot be shut.... why Yamaha??? why??????
there is plenty of space on the back//.. it ruins the front.. feels like white trash on my high end receiver...frown.gif(((

The same reason the majority of car audio aftermarket head units and tower PCs put the USB jack on the front...
According to a CEA market study dated 2011, 78% of the consumers using an AVR & USB require an EZ plug & play temporary connection of a portable music player be it an iPod or MP3 player or camera..

Just my $0.02... 👍😉
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page