Pioneer Elite SC-68 or Marantz SR7007 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-27-2013, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi all, this is the final piece to my system, ive finally narrowed it down to one of these two receivers. My dealer also threw in the Arcam 360 but after struggling to find some amazing reviews i passed on that one.
I watch movies 70% of the time and am running a 5.1 set up with System Audio Saxo series as the speakers and a REL T5 as the sub. I also have the Marantz UD 7007 so was leaning towards the Marantz receiver but i read in a few places that there was some issues with it that sounded a bit off putting.

So can anyone give me any advice on which way to steer with these two?

thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-28-2013, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #3 of 4 Old 03-28-2013, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I recently purchased the SR7007 and am currently running a 3.1 setup with Monitor Audio MA 1200 Gold Domes, cc300 center and Velodyne 10" sub. I watch mostly movies on blu ray and streaming. After the quick setup I watched The Grey. I was not impressed overall. Much of the issue I found was Netflix does not stream the audio in dolby HD and the Marantz processes the dialogue out of all front speakers. I found this to be the case with many streamed movies where the Marantz processes it with multi channel stereo. Changing it to stereo or pure direct improved it greatly but you have no center channel. I realize my center channel is not a perfect match with my front L/R but I have not had issue before.

I put on 2012 in Blu ray because I am familiar with it. It sounded wrong to me. In direct pure mode I thought the steering was much better but I felt like I was pushing the output because it sounds worse as I increase the volume. You can boost the pre amp output but that does not resolve the concerns.

The Marantz does work well with voice but is actually more laid back than I would like overall. It reveals low level detail well and errs on the warm side but I find the overall output volume lacking. I have the volume output between 60-70. I don't think the amplifier is running out of steam but it sounds thin...anemic compared to my vintage 1988 NEC PLD910 Dolby Pro Logic processor and Adcom 2535 amplifier with 2 channels bridged to the center speaker. Of course the Adcom alone weighs as much as the Marantz. I am thinking of using the pre outs and hooking it to the Adcom but I am more inclined to just sell it and get separates. Unfortunately, I cannot be certain if it is Dolby Digital I do not like, the amplifier section of the Marantz, or the processor. I considered the SC-68 but went with the Marantz because I thought the warm tone would lend itself to my gold tweeters with dialogue. I hear the Pioneer has more output.

I am not sure if separates from NAD, Rotel, Arcam, Emotiva are a better option for my system. I didn't think my speakers were that demanding at 8 ohm.
post #4 of 4 Old 04-03-2013, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

I eventually went with the Marantz. Im having a few issues with setting it up and getting the sound just right. When listening to cds i feel like things could be a bit crisper. Its definitely a warm sound. At the moment though im running it in and reserving full judgement until a couple weeks.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr7007 Home Theater Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr7007 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page