The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 109 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3241 of 8275 Old 10-30-2013, 07:18 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunez20hz View Post

Im looking at buying a Denon x2000 I see Denon Sells refurbs on their website but only with a 1 yr warranty verses 3 yrs brand new . Do you guys think its worth the discount in price to only get a 1yr warranty?

Depends on the difference in price ...... wink.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3242 of 8275 Old 10-30-2013, 07:25 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher101 View Post

I purchased Denon x4000 receiver a month ago and my receiver is shutting down every time I put the volume over 60db and there is loud scene in a movie or video game. Denon tech support is completely clueless. The speakers are 8ohms pushing (130W according to specs) there Onkyo speakers from the 5100THX system. My old onkyo receiver was pushing these speakers well past 70db. The speaker wires are in banana plugs and plugged into the unit so no speaker ends are touch each other. I manually calibrated the speakers using an SPL meter.

Does anyone know why the denon reciever is shutting down and then flashing red? Is there a fix or should I just return the unit.

Thanks

Are you referring to 60db using your SPL meter or the master volume? If the master volume then you likely mean "60" using the mfr default "absolute" scale of [0-98] rather than 60db as the db scale goes from -79db to + 18db. I would visually recheck all of your speaker wire connections again, at the AVR and at each speaker, and if no loose wire strands found, then disconnect all speakers and start adding them back one at a time until you find the culprit.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #3243 of 8275 Old 10-30-2013, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I would also try turning off all other devices that draw power from the same circuit as your X4000. And also plug the X4000 directly into the wall and try turning volume back over 60db for awhile to see if the problem persists. A few years back with my previous AVR, I found that it had issues drawing enough power at high volume from the shared circuit in my theater room. And if I recall correctly, my old surge protector was also not rated for the total power draw of all devices I had connected to it. It didn't trip for some reason, but my AVR did...
post #3244 of 8275 Old 10-30-2013, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 310
Just return it while you still can. If it were the circuit it would have been that way all along.
post #3245 of 8275 Old 10-31-2013, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Assuming the DVD player doesn't screw anything up outputting the "raw" 480i off the disc, then yes, you are getting a "Source Direct" output at 480i over HDMI.

Before you go through the hassle of using two different players though, I would do some visual tests to see if you discern any real difference. For example, find a DVD that you have two copies of, and try it both ways (outputting from 480i from the DVD player upscaled to 1080p/24 through the Denon, vs. just doing a standard 1080p/60 upscale from the PS3) and if you can't see a difference, just go with the simple solution. Let your eyes be the judge.

Cool, that is what I thought. Thank you for being helpful.

"(outputting from 480i from the DVD player upscaled to 1080p/24 through the Denon, vs. just doing a standard 1080p/60 upscale from the PS3) and if you can't see a difference, just go with the simple solution. "

This is counter productive to what you or cfraser mentioned earlier... Ie.adding more processing to the mix could result in more video playback instability. I'm a bit confused why you would recommend this method.

But I will remain with a DVD and ps3 setup since the ps3 cannot output 480i.
post #3246 of 8275 Old 10-31-2013, 03:16 AM

I also want to add for Batpig and anyone else interested with the new method method of upconverting DVDs to 1080p 24p from 480i after watching a few movies there have been no reports of motion judder EXCEPT with the film previews before the movie begins which I can assume is due to them being encoded at 60fps instead of 24p....I could be wrong but at least the actual movie material has no film judder at all.

However, I popped the Bewoulf DVD back in and unfortunately motion judder was still present albeit less severe than before but it was visible. So I would assume the new upconverting method helped reduce judder Greatly ( >80% ) but since the judder is still visible but less often I, guessing it could be due to poor video authoring since the other DVDs I watched had no judder at all. They were as smooth as butter. Really impressed with the X4000. Feature packed at an affordable price. Top marks to Denon.
post #3247 of 8275 Old 10-31-2013, 06:02 AM

Liked: 10

I'm going to be sending my AVR X1000 back due to the random shutdown/fast blinking problem. I have no heat problems, I switch off the mains each night so I would think that acts like a reboot to clear any issues, it's not the speakers or cabling since satellite works without issues. The problem is either the actual HDMI port being used or something worse. It can't be the Audessey settings as mentioned earlier since my satellite works fine. As with another poster, it worked great for 3 weeks, then the problems started. And I've made no hardware or config change prior to the issues starting. It's so odd since I can watch satellite for hours with no issues. Switching to bluray however and I get shutdowns within 30mins. Looks like a dud to me.

post #3248 of 8275 Old 10-31-2013, 07:57 AM

somebody knows if in the x-2000 the rca pre-out for the second zone works or is muted when using 2 zone amplified? (some kind of third zone with e aditional amp) if active is it volume controled by the 2 zone or  fixed line-out?

post #3249 of 8275 Old 10-31-2013, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 921
The pre out should still be "hot" but the volumes will be tied.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #3250 of 8275 Old 10-31-2013, 10:12 AM

Is there any way to rate the quality of the vp in the Denon X4000? How good of a chip is it? I noticed the few reviews out there didnt cover the video aspect
post #3251 of 8275 Old 10-31-2013, 11:36 AM
585-645-1006

In most cases the TV or source device will do just as good of a job so the video processing can be bypassed, especially with HD video.

post #3252 of 8275 Old 10-31-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

In most cases the TV or source device will do just as good of a job so the video processing can be bypassed, especially with HD video.

My tv is pretty horrible when it comes to upconverting and deinterlacing and I dont own an oppo, i have a sony bdp 350 which is great for blu-rays but not soo great for dvds....which is why I want to know how good the x4000 is....like if anyone knows how effective it is
post #3253 of 8275 Old 10-31-2013, 07:50 PM

I'm having constant network issues with my X4000. I have it on most of the day listening to Pandora or Internet radio, and at least 3x daily it just loses the network. It's connected via a wireless bridge, which I replaced and still have the same issue. It goes along fine, then just out of the blue it thinks there's no network. But 2 Macbooks, various cell phones, a Roku, PS3 and Xbox have no such troubles. If I unplug it then it works immediately, but if I just let it sit it takes about 10 minutes before it works on the network again. Is this something to get serviced or are they all flakey like this? Seems like I have to reset this thing a few times a day. I've yet to have any such issues with my Onkyo 616, connected to the same network. The X4000 cost about 4 times as much, but I'm enjoying it less oeverall. It also will freeze up sometimes when using Airplay and need to be reset.
I love it when it works, but due to all these resets I'm seriously thinking of putting my 4802 back and just keeping an old iPhone hooked up to it for the network apps.
post #3254 of 8275 Old 10-31-2013, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Would somebody please try and stream through the built in airplay and see if you can raise the volume past -6? The volume of the denon and iTunes/iPhone coincide and that seems to be where it maxes out. Just wondering if I'm alone in this.

Hi ambesolman, using iPhone 4s I can raise it pass -6 and up to reference with no issue.
post #3255 of 8275 Old 10-31-2013, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi ambesolman, using iPhone 4s I can raise it pass -6 and up to reference with no issue.
Finally! Thanks JChin! I have asked this about four times over the past couple of weeks with no replies.
That's weird. Do both volume controls rise together?
post #3256 of 8275 Old 10-31-2013, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 438
They do on my iPhone 4.

Will I find La Scala, or better, to displace my La Scala fronts, before I displace my kg1, kg2 & kg3 with Heresy or better?

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!
post #3257 of 8275 Old 10-31-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post

My tv is pretty horrible when it comes to upconverting and deinterlacing and I dont own an oppo, i have a sony bdp 350 which is great for blu-rays but not soo great for dvds....which is why I want to know how good the x4000 is....like if anyone knows how effective it is

What if I bought a calibration blu ray disc; could i use it to test out the x4000s video chip performance?

Or would I be wasting my time because it cant be done?
post #3258 of 8275 Old 11-01-2013, 04:12 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCentric View Post

I'm having constant network issues with my X4000. I have it on most of the day listening to Pandora or Internet radio, and at least 3x daily it just loses the network. It's connected via a wireless bridge, which I replaced and still have the same issue. It goes along fine, then just out of the blue it thinks there's no network. But 2 Macbooks, various cell phones, a Roku, PS3 and Xbox have no such troubles. If I unplug it then it works immediately, but if I just let it sit it takes about 10 minutes before it works on the network again. Is this something to get serviced or are they all flakey like this? Seems like I have to reset this thing a few times a day. I've yet to have any such issues with my Onkyo 616, connected to the same network. The X4000 cost about 4 times as much, but I'm enjoying it less oeverall. It also will freeze up sometimes when using Airplay and need to be reset.
I love it when it works, but due to all these resets I'm seriously thinking of putting my 4802 back and just keeping an old iPhone hooked up to it for the network apps.

Issue could also be with either the wireless bridge and/or router. You also may want to consider using a "static" IP address vice DHCP as noted in the X4000 Owner's manual.

post #3259 of 8275 Old 11-01-2013, 04:24 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post

What if I bought a calibration blu ray disc; could i use it to test out the x4000s video chip performance?

Or would I be wasting my time because it cant be done?

It would certainly be worthwhile to calibrate your TV if you haven't already had it professionally calibrated. smile.gif

post #3260 of 8275 Old 11-01-2013, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Issue could also be with either the wireless bridge and/or router. You also may want to consider using a "static" IP address vice DHCP as noted in the X4000 Owner's manual.

Since it is happening several times a day it doesn't sound like it is a dhcp issue - if you know how to check you router settings for this you should be able to verify how long your dhcp client leases are good of before they have to be renewed. Typically these last for at least a day. If you don't know how to check this or suspect that may be the problem - then I agree it may make sense to set it up with a static address. Just make sure to choose an address outside the range of addresses that are assignable from your routers dhcp server.

- Scott
post #3261 of 8275 Old 11-01-2013, 04:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCentric View Post

I don't use the streaming services much but my wife uses them often and for long periods without a problem. My X4000 is wired to a switch that is wired to the router.
post #3262 of 8275 Old 11-01-2013, 04:38 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjinatl View Post

Since it is happening several times a day it doesn't sound like it is a dhcp issue - if you know how to check you router settings for this you should be able to verify how long your dhcp client leases are good of before they have to be renewed. Typically these last for at least a day. If you don't know how to check this or suspect that may be the problem - then I agree it may make sense to set it up with a static address. Just make sure to choose an address outside the range of addresses that are assignable from your routers dhcp server.

Actually, no .. .perhaps you could provide some sample instructions on how you would check this on your own router as an example for others to follow?

post #3263 of 8275 Old 11-01-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraser View Post

batpig: OK, I am going to give up on this. Every single person who responded insists on talking about surround modes and speakers. I am NOT talking about surround modes at all, and if you go back to my original mention of this, I think I mentioned exact examples which were not surround modes (i.e. Mono Movie and Stereo). Of course I want surround to select DTS-HD MA 5.1 + PLIIx for the backs in my system if the BD has it. That works great. Notice how I didn't once complain about that? smile.gif It's when the X4000 does not select the correct mode for the audio on the disc (it won't select Mono Movie, perhaps ever, but certainly not for DTS-HD MA 1.0 Mono center-only). Or some other stuff. That's when I must manually select something, which I understand, but then the X4000 insists on continuing to select that mode (i.e. Mono Movie) until I manually select something else. Not optimal at all, it should select the most appropriate format based on the input format (i.e. like Standard mode does). Not some format I picked once because the X4000 couldn't do it itself. Nobody ever said the X4000 should pick stereo for surround input, but it will if you selected Stereo mode previously = dumb. That's the complaint. Believe me I can handle it. This is in the same league as my RGB video complaint: the 3808 did it better because it allowed you to force what you want, rather than rely on some "intelligence" trying to select it. Agree though, the X4000 gets it right most of the time, that's why I only mentioned it, not get all hot about it. I still think nobody gets what the issue is, wait until you play a BD that the X4000 gets wrong, then see what happens with every BD after that until you try to change it back.

To reiterate the main point: everything with the X4000 worked perfectly re audio format selection until it got it wrong and I corrected it. Then it kept on getting it wrong. Hope that's clear, because I don't get it either. smile.gif Maybe a reset would put it back, this could be a firmware glitch after all: a certain selection prevents proper auto-selection in future. IDK.

As mentioned, it is probably a "communication error" based on the wording in the manual. I was originally just agreeing with somebody else who noticed it, else I would have mentioned it even before then if it bothered me that much. I may try that "Standard" button thing though, good idea, or as you say maybe that "first menu option" is really what I want and the labelling of it misled me. I've only been using this thing for less than 3 weeks, I wasn't even close to this "familiar" with the 3808 after 3 weeks.

I have still not found out how to get it back myself.

Right now its just stuck at what I choose, and I have no idea how I can get it back to the "auto mode."

post #3264 of 8275 Old 11-01-2013, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The "Auto Mode" actually IS just remembering what you choose. That's the point.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3265 of 8275 Old 11-01-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

They do on my iPhone 4.
Same here, iTunes too. That's the issue I'm having. As soon as the vol is at max on either of those, the denon won't go up anymore. Sancho, can you go past -6?
post #3266 of 8275 Old 11-01-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 180
What I do on my X2000 is I switch to every input that I use, and I play any and all audio formats that I will encounter on that source, and I set the sound mode for each signal type that I want to be used and it automatically chooses that mode every time that particular audio signal is received.

For example, on my Blu-ray input, I set PCM to be played back with Dolby PL II Cinema because I watch a lot of Amazon & YouTube videos. All multi-channel signals are decoded by the correct decoder that was selected by default (DD 5.1, DTS 5.1, DD HD, DTS MA, DD 2.0 with PL II Cinema) and I never changed them. However on the TV Audio input I chose Dolby PL II Music for PCM because I use my TV for Pandora, and that's what I prefer.

To me, Denon's auto-decode/memory works perfectly and just as intended.
rec head likes this.

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #3267 of 8275 Old 11-01-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:

It would certainly be worthwhile to calibrate your TV if you haven't already had it professionally calibrated. smile.gif

My tv is already calibrated. I wanted to use the disc to test out the X4000s video prcocessing capabilities....no one around here seems to know how it really performs
post #3268 of 8275 Old 11-01-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Here are two relevant video bench tests from receivers that have the exact same video chipset as the X4000:

Denon AVR-2313CI: http://www.soundandvision.com/content/denon-avr-2313ci-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures

Marantz SR7008: http://www.soundandvision.com/content/marantz-sr7008-av-receiver-test-bench

In both cases the video bench test was essentially perfect, passing all tests for cadence recognition and resoluton/clipping, and in the Marantz review they specifcially note the scaling from 480i to 1080p is excellent. All of the same should be true for the X4000.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3269 of 8275 Old 11-01-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:

Actually, no .. .perhaps you could provide some sample instructions on how you would check this on your own router as an example for others to follow?

I have DHCP lease set to 5 days. On the Airport Extreme, this is done in Network/Network Options via the Airport utility.

As if on que, the Denon just stopped streaming Pandora, but this MacBook Air is still working just fine through the same bridge. Clicking on Pandora shows No Network connection. I'd be surprised if it were the router or bridge since none of the 10+ other nodes have issues of any sort (including an xbox 360 which can play games all day long online with no lag or dropped sessions). If no one else experiences these disconnects, I'm going to suspect the Denon is the issue.

I will try moving it to the router to remove the bridge from the equation and see what happens.
post #3270 of 8275 Old 11-01-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne Sandsether View Post

I have still not found out how to get it back myself.
Right now its just stuck at what I choose, and I have no idea how I can get it back to the "auto mode."

I'm sorry, I can't help. Somehow, and I don't know why/how since I never did a reset, but it seems like my X4000 is back to choosing the correct audio modes. I did what batpig said I could do, about me programming the "Standard" (from the X4000 IR spreadsheet) into my remote, and fired it at the X4000. It accepted it of course, and it could just be coincidence (probably) but it all seems fine now, like it was in the beginning. I don't see how "Standard" and the same movie sound mode you can poke with the stock remote are any different...*

If you can, maybe backup your Audyssey/settings and try a master reset. It should go back to stock. Problem is, it's always better to restore a backup made before things went screwy lol. I have such a backup [edit to clarify above: I did not use this backup]. You might want to start your setup from scratch if you don't have one...

*Edit: actually, I am not totally sure they are the same since they are initiated in different ways. One is initiated directly (Standard) and one is initiated via the Movie mode button. I suppose it isn't impossible that a mode I selected via the Movie mode button, and I know it was Mono Movie where the problem started but there were others, could have put the X4000 into an odd state (i.e. a minor FW bug) that forcing Standard directly got out of. I'm wildly speculating there, there is an explanation.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2309ci Receiver , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon , Denon Electronics , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Denon Avr E200 , Denon Avr E300 , Denon Avr E400 , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page