The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 112 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3331 of 8648 Old 11-04-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gweedz View Post

Yuk! I need to figure out how to make my multi-quote replies look readable!

What I usually do is surround my own text by unquote, then quote, like this (replace parentheses by square brackets):
(/quote) inserted text (quote)

At any rate, yes, optical (TosLink) would be the best audio connection.

People have different thresholds for what they consider usable. Most of the apps are free, so you could try them yourself,

The most common networked audio and video file service protocol is DLNA, You could consider installing a DLNA server app. Others will have to provide more info: after a brief tryout of DLNA and its various limitations, I decided to stick with a direct HDMI connection to my laptop.

I dunno if your router will provide networked access to a directly connected hard drive. You'll have to check the router's manual.
Gweedz likes this.

Selden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 8648 Old 11-04-2013, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Given the X4000, I was wondering if anyone has setup a programmable remote (not the Denon remote) to Power On Zone 2 (not power toggle) and select a source input for Zone 2?
The reverse would be to have a selection to Power Off zone 2.

I read Batpigs adding additional Denon AVR devices to your Harmony profile to pickup other possible Denon AVR commands.
If I add the AVR4520 device to my profile, has anyone tried any of the following commands to see if they work on the X4000?
MAIN ZONE ON
MAIN ZONE OFF
ZONE2 ON
ZONE2 OFF
ZONE3 ON
ZONE3 OFF
post #3333 of 8648 Old 11-04-2013, 12:28 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
If you are referring to "Airplay" this is how the feature currently works ... it hijacks the main zone to connect to Zone 2 and then you must reselect the original source playing in the main zone again.

Nope not using Airplay, I actually tried it with Spotify and normal FM radio and got the same results both times. Zone 2 always plays faintly but noticeably through the Main zone. It's extremely annoying as it basically makes having 2 zones useless because I can't use 2 different sources. What I was trying to do was turn on music in the backyard (Zone 2) while someone else was watching TV in the living room but I couldn't because the radio was coming through the Main zone along with the TV audio.

So to recap, in the above scenario you can hear the radio only outside (Zone 2) but inside you hear the TV and the radio coming through the 5.1 speakers (Main zone). It's annoying as hell!
post #3334 of 8648 Old 11-04-2013, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have been searching this thread and others on how to hook up my old VCR to my new Denon AVR-X3000.  This was easy for my old Denon AVR-1909 by hooking up some RCA cables from the VCR to the TV.  Next, I hook up the TV audio out from the TV to the receiver, and I can use Channel 3 on the TV to watch a tape.  Would this be similar for the X3000 or there is something else I can try?  I have looked in the manual, but it's not in there on how this can be done for this particular model.

David

post #3335 of 8648 Old 11-04-2013, 02:51 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinurgy View Post

Nope not using Airplay, I actually tried it with Spotify and normal FM radio and got the same results both times. Zone 2 always plays faintly but noticeably through the Main zone. It's extremely annoying as it basically makes having 2 zones useless because I can't use 2 different sources. What I was trying to do was turn on music in the backyard (Zone 2) while someone else was watching TV in the living room but I couldn't because the radio was coming through the Main zone along with the TV audio.

So to recap, in the above scenario you can hear the radio only outside (Zone 2) but inside you hear the TV and the radio coming through the 5.1 speakers (Main zone). It's annoying as hell!

Uh yeh .. not normal. Try the soft reset followed by a microprocessor reset if no joy.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3336 of 8648 Old 11-04-2013, 02:56 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRaymore49 View Post

I have been searching this thread and others on how to hook up my old VCR to my new Denon AVR-X3000.  This was easy for my old Denon AVR-1909 by hooking up some RCA cables from the VCR to the TV.  Next, I hook up the TV audio out from the TV to the receiver, and I can use Channel 3 on the TV to watch a tape.  Would this be similar for the X3000 or there is something else I can try?  I have looked in the manual, but it's not in there on how this can be done for this particular model.

David

Same configuration using the X3000 or you can also connect the VCR directly to the X3000 as well, although you could connect directly with the 1909 as well.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #3337 of 8648 Old 11-04-2013, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSJ View Post

Given the X4000, I was wondering if anyone has setup a programmable remote (not the Denon remote) to Power On Zone 2 (not power toggle) and select a source input for Zone 2?

I read Batpigs adding additional Denon AVR devices to your Harmony profile to pickup other possible Denon AVR commands.
If I add the AVR4520 device to my profile, has anyone tried any of the following commands to see if they work on the X4000?
MAIN ZONE ON
MAIN ZONE OFF
ZONE2 ON
ZONE2 OFF
ZONE3 ON
ZONE3 OFF

I haven't necessarily tried those codes specifically but I do have discrete codes in my Harmony device for Zone 2 ON/OFF and they work fine. I think it's safe to assume those will work too, although nowadays I almost always activate Zone 2 from my iPhone or iPad using the Denon app.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #3338 of 8648 Old 11-04-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:

MAIN ZONE ON
MAIN ZONE OFF
ZONE2 ON
ZONE2 OFF
ZONE3 ON
ZONE3 OFF
=================================================================
It took me a bit of time to figure out how to add the above AVR4520 codes to my Logitech Harmony remote. After they are added, they do work on the AVR X4000!! First off, adding the AVR4520 as another device in my Harmony profile wasn't helpful as the above codes are also NOT included with the Logitech AVR4520 setup. The only choice left was to actually add these new AVR commands to the Logitech command set for the X4000 device.

Here is what I did to do this.
1) Get the list of Denon remote codes from batpigs link to the complete custom command set currently available
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/34124823/AVR4520_IR_CODE_V01.pdf

2) Open the PDF and find the key name you are interested in, for example:
RCSHP0210059 110111 ZONE2 ON

3) Also note at the top of the PDF page: SYSTEM ADDRESS (C1~C5) 01000, EXTENSION BIT (C12~C13) 10, (C14~C15) 00

4) Get the PC based IRCodeGenerator program from remotecentral.com
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/files/dl.cgi?file=prontong/utilities/IRCodeGenerator.zip&area=prontong

5) Unzip and run the Windows program. Enter the codes for C1-C15 as: 01000 110111 10 00 and press Calculate.

6) Then follow the 12 steps listed at the link below and pay special attention to step 6 (Do not include any spaces in the name) :
http://www.avforums.com/threads/guide-to-getting-pronto-hex-codes-into-your-harmony-remote.1510519/

After ALL OF THAT, I was able to log into the Logitech Harmony Remote Software and add "Zone 2 ON" to any activity or sequence.
sbdman and mo949 like this.
post #3339 of 8648 Old 11-04-2013, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thanks for your help.  I do have another question about which is the best way to hook up my HDTV and the HD DVR to the X3000.  Currently, I am using component cables and an optical cable from the cable box to the receiver for video and audio. The X3000 is converting the video of the composite cables to the HDMI out.  Currently, I am experiencing random audio dropouts.  I have read you can connect a HDMI cable from the HD DVR to the HDTV, and then an optical cable from the HDTV optical out to the X3000 optical in.

I need to know how to get that to work with X3000.  Can you tell me how to set the inputs on the receiver to get this setup to work correctly?  Is there another way I should consider?

David

post #3340 of 8648 Old 11-04-2013, 05:12 PM
585-645-1006

If the source is the cable box, you're better served connecting the optical cable from the box to the AVR rather than from the TV to the AVR, unless of course you want to pass smart app audio (eg. Hulu, Vudu, YouTube, etc.) on the TV back to the AVR. The optical input on the AVR defaults to TV so simply select TV when you want to listen to audio from the cable box. If you want to use an optical cable from the TV as well, you would need to add an optical switch to connect the two optical cables to the single AVR optical input.

post #3341 of 8648 Old 11-04-2013, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Ill just ask this here, as this is probably the best spot to ask without making another thread.

I just bought the Sony dn840, no issues at all and does sound good. But I did see at A4L they have the x2000 for only $30 more than I paid for my 840...

So would it be worth the upgrade? Also what would the pros and con's be in the x2000 vs the 840

Vizio m601
Ps3
Ps4
Wiiu
Bdt220
DirecTV

Speakers are all Polk audio

Monitor 60s front
Cs2 center
Monitor 40s rear

Thanks
post #3342 of 8648 Old 11-04-2013, 06:54 PM

When I turn on/off Zone 2, the TV connected to the main zone HDMI output blanks for several seconds while clickity clackity noises occur in the AVR.
Does this unwelcome behavior occur for others or is this a standard feature?
post #3343 of 8648 Old 11-04-2013, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

This is because of the zone 2 HDMI out. When you power on/off zone 2 it has to resync the HDMI handshake across all zones because of the possibility of another HDMI sink added to the chain.

I switched my audio only zone to Zone 3 on my X4000 to circumvent this issue. Zone 3 doesn't have an HDMI output associated with it.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3344 of 8648 Old 11-04-2013, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 446
When I turn on Monitor 2 in the same room, or vice versa, Monitor 1 blanks out.

The click-click noise is the amps switching.

Sounds Normal to me. It also makes the click noise when switching from DD 5.1 tv signal to 2.0

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
post #3345 of 8648 Old 11-04-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:

^^
First try a soft reset by unplugging the unit for 10 minutes and if still no joy, do a microprocessor reset as noted in post #5 of this thread.

Hey @jdsmoothie thank you for the advice but there is no joy in mudville frown.gif

I did a soft reset = no joy
I did a microprocessor reset = no joy + new display sync issues (I am outputting to an Optoma HD66 projector via RedMere cable)
I did another microprocessor reset = still no joy + still having same trouble syncing
I swapped around HDMI cables and inputs = still no joy + sync issues

I feel like there *must* be an issue with this receiver - there's no way that standard components like I have should be causing this much grief. I've contacted Denon to see about a replacement unit...

So many sads.
post #3346 of 8648 Old 11-04-2013, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

When I turn on/off Zone 2, the TV connected to the main zone HDMI output blanks for several seconds while clickity clackity noises occur in the AVR.
Does this unwelcome behavior occur for others or is this a standard feature?

I have the same behavior with my 4000, I don't remember this with the 4310 though. JT
post #3347 of 8648 Old 11-04-2013, 07:28 PM

Hi guys,

Can someone be kind enough to measure the carton box (packaging) dimension of AVR-X2000? Also, for AVR-X1000.

Thanks in advance.
post #3348 of 8648 Old 11-04-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:

Uh yeh .. not normal. Try the soft reset followed by a microprocessor reset if no joy.
I called Denon tech support and the guy knew what it was right away. He called it "bleed through" and said there was nothing he could do to help. Apparently it's almost certainly a bad microprocessor. He suggested exchanging it for a new one, I have it for about 5 weeks, I hope they don't try to screw me here. mad.gif
post #3349 of 8648 Old 11-05-2013, 12:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Anybody know what I should do with my USB port? Its slightly misaligned with the front plate but not soo much that I cant plug in my ipod but its definately visible

Should I exchange it for another one? Or contact Denon support and see if they will fix it? Or just leave it? It does bother me because I wanted a perfectly assembled receiver but....since it doesnt affect my overall experience with it I guess its something I can live with. Ive been thinking about replacing it with the Denon 4520 since its made in Japan and maybe quality control is tighter so quirks like this could be avoided but its a whole other price bracket....but yea it bothers me that much

Suggestions?
post #3350 of 8648 Old 11-05-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post

Anybody know what I should do with my USB port? Its slightly misaligned with the front plate but not soo much that I cant plug in my ipod but its definately visible

Should I exchange it for another one? Or contact Denon support and see if they will fix it? Or just leave it? It does bother me because I wanted a perfectly assembled receiver but....since it doesnt affect my overall experience with it I guess its something I can live with. Ive been thinking about replacing it with the Denon 4520 since its made in Japan and maybe quality control is tighter so quirks like this could be avoided but its a whole other price bracket....but yea it bothers me that much

Suggestions?

I can only speak as to what I would do, and like you, it would bother me too and I would return it as it would bother the crud out of me. It won't bother some at all and will others, if it bothers you, don't settle.

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #3351 of 8648 Old 11-05-2013, 10:00 AM

Is this scenario possible with the X2000:

Use my android phone to turn on the receiver (when on the same network), select zone 2 and play MP3s off the phone (in zone 2 only) with the usual controls (skip song, volume, etc.)

post #3352 of 8648 Old 11-05-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post

Suggestions?

I think a photo of the issue would help. It is unlikely to be cost-effective to fix by itself. Maybe the dealer would exchange it with a display model, but for a relatively minor (to them) cosmetic detail, I somehow doubt the typical Canadian retailer would do much for you.

I thought you had an X4000, least previous "conversations" seemed to refer to that model. But what you're saying seems to indicate another model, because with the X4000 it seems "impossible" to me to get the USB port misaligned the way the pieces fit together, and even if it was possible, you couldn't see it with either something plugged in, or the plate closed if not = no real problem to my mind, and I'm damn picky in general. So...if you don't have an X4000, that's a lot more cost-effective upgrade solution than the 4520, especially in Canada.

And where something is made has nothing to do with QC, it is up to the manufacturer to set standards and level of vigilance i.e. I doubt you'll ever read of an OPPO QC problem, and they've always been made in China. OTOH it's just not profitable to make things with low QC in a country with higher labor rates, so that's why people typically associate high quality with high labor rates. Of course low labor rates make it possible to churn out any junk profitably too. But one does not mandate the other.
post #3353 of 8648 Old 11-05-2013, 11:02 AM

I posted this in another thread, I just hooked up a X4000 and I cannot get the Lossless Dolby True-HD and DTS-HD to output from the receiver. I have a OPPO BDP-103 that is setup correctly in terms of audio output. The proper soundtrack has been selected on 3 different movies that I tested. I still do not have the Lossless formats. any thoughts?

Thanks,

Kevin
post #3354 of 8648 Old 11-05-2013, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It has to be the player. The receiver doesn't control the input signal, it just plays what it gets.

You can confirm the input signal in the "Information" section of the GUI, accessed either from the on-screen menus or the web browser setup menus. You can also just press the "Info" button on the remote for on-screen display of input signal and surround mode and active input/output channels. If it doesn't say "Dolby TrueHD" as the input signal when you think you are playing a TrueHD track, then the receiver isn't getting it.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3355 of 8648 Old 11-05-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 484
A couple of thoughts, based on a quick look at pg. 61 of the OPPO's owner's manual (PDF):
- Make sure the player is outputting 720p or higher video resolution. The manual says:
Quote:
If you use HDMI to connect audio to an HDMI A/V receiver or audio processor, it is important that you choose 720p or higher HDMI output resolution when playing high resolution audio content (DVD-Audio, SACD, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio). According to the HDMI specification, the bandwidth available for audio is proportional to the total bandwidth used by video.
- Make sure "Secondary Audio" is set to "Off". (The chart on pg. 64 of the manual shows that when it's set to "On", Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA will be downmixed to DD and DTS, respectively.)

- Set "HDMI Audio" to "Bitstream" rather than "Auto", to force the "raw" stream to the AVR, just to see if the AVR recognizes it.
post #3356 of 8648 Old 11-05-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 46
^ Yup, it's usually a secondary audio ON issue.
post #3357 of 8648 Old 11-05-2013, 01:25 PM

Thanks everyone for the input. Somehow I pressed a button on the front panel of the X4000 and I finally got the Lossless codecs. I wonder why that button is not accessed in the on-screen menu. On to testing some movies and music.

Thanks,

Kevin
post #3358 of 8648 Old 11-05-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the input. Somehow I pressed a button on the front panel of the X4000 and I finally got the Lossless codecs.
What button did you press?
post #3359 of 8648 Old 11-05-2013, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Seriously. It's pretty hard to troubleshoot and understand what was wrong if you refuse to provide us with basic information about what you are seeing and what buttons you are pressing rolleyes.gif

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3360 of 8648 Old 11-05-2013, 03:59 PM
585-645-1006

The only buttons not on the remote would be the Quick Select buttons.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2309ci Receiver , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon , Denon Electronics , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Denon Avr E200 , Denon Avr E300 , Denon Avr E400 , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page