The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 115 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #3421 of 11171 Old 11-09-2013, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just swapped the soundcard in my HTPC for one that supports up to 192K. Now I can't get any sound out of the X4000 with the new card. I'm using the optical connection. I tried both inputs (re-assigning then to different sources) and different output rates and depths on the soundcard through Windows. I plugged in my old pre-pro and when I change the output sample rate and bit depth on the PC it changes from 44K to 48K nicely. I wish the Denon had the ability to display the sample rate, it would help with troubleshooting.

All I get is PCM displayed on the Denon during any test tones on the PC.

When I switch sources on the Denon to phono I get sound.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 11171 Old 11-09-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I just swapped the soundcard in my HTPC for one that supports up to 192K. Now I can't get any sound out of the X4000 with the new card. I'm using the optical connection. I tried both inputs (re-assigning then to different sources) and different output rates and depths on the soundcard through Windows. I plugged in my old pre-pro and when I change the output sample rate and bit depth on the PC it changes from 44K to 48K nicely. I wish the Denon had the ability to display the sample rate, it would help with troubleshooting.

Any ideas?

I resolved the problem with the soundcard. There was some obscure setting in the desktop application where you had to "enable" S/PDIF.

I tested all the output rates and bit depths from the soundcard (Windows 7) and everything up to 24bit/96Khz worked fine. I set the output rate in Windows to 96Khz, but enabled all the lower rates. I have a few questions though.
- Why can't I hear the test tone at 192Khz, Is that a Windows 7 limitation?
- When I play a 44.1/16bit wav file the sample rate still displays 96Khz under "information". Why is this?
- Do I need to change the output settings on my soundcard to match the native sample rate of the music source?
post #3423 of 11171 Old 11-09-2013, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Resolved.

Denon X4100w
Klipsch RP-280F, RC-7, RB-61ii, RB-51ii
SVS PB12 Plus x2
PSA XV15SE x2
Samsung 60F8000
post #3424 of 11171 Old 11-09-2013, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1721 Post(s)
Liked: 1932
Quote:
Originally Posted by resqguy View Post

Quote:

Any ideas?

I resolved the problem with the soundcard. There was some obscure setting in the desktop application where you had to "enable" S/PDIF.

I tested all the output rates and bit depths from the soundcard (Windows 7) and everything up to 24bit/96Khz worked fine. I set the output rate in Windows to 96Khz, but enabled all the lower rates. I have a few questions though.
- When I play a 44.1/16bit wav file the sample rate still displays 96Khz under "information". Why is this?
- Do I need to change the output settings on my soundcard to match the native sample rate of the music source?

All of those are really questions about your sound card, not about the Denon receiver. You might want to seek out a computer/htpc forum where others with your sound card can offer their experience.

From the receiver's perspective it's just another input signal, it just takes it and plays it. It doesn't really care if that SPDIF audio is coming from a cable box or a DVD player or your sound card.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #3425 of 11171 Old 11-10-2013, 05:10 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 3934 Post(s)
Liked: 2238
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunmetalR56 View Post

Hi all, it's quite possible I've missed this being covered elsewhere in the thread but since updating the firmware on my x4000, when running Audyssey set up, I'm no longer given the prompt to set the sub up at 75db.

was this changed with the firmware update?

thanks!

Nope.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #3426 of 11171 Old 11-10-2013, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by resqguy View Post

Quote:

Any ideas?

All of those are really questions about your sound card, not about the Denon receiver. You might want to seek out a computer/htpc forum where others with your sound card can offer their experience.

From the receiver's perspective it's just another input signal, it just takes it and plays it. It doesn't really care if that SPDIF audio is coming from a cable box or a DVD player or your sound card.

As JD points out, the audio format isn't determined by the receiver. It's controlled by the computer and its player software. I found that getting the audio over HDMI from the computer to the receiver to match the channel count and bitrate of the computer's audio files is not always straightforward. I don't use S/PDIF, but the principles are similar. A brief summary of the players that I've tried is available at http://www.avsforum.com/t/1495316/which-media-players-reconfigure-hdmi-to-match-number-of-source-channels

Briefest summary: use MediaMonkey with WASAPI enabled.

Selden

Marantz SR7009+MM9000/Atmos 7.1.4 (FH+TM:DefTech PM1000)/LCR+TM amped
post #3427 of 11171 Old 11-10-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:

My only frustration with the receiver is that there is no way to view the characteristics of the input digital bit stream in real time. "PCM" just isn't enough.
post #3428 of 11171 Old 11-10-2013, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have an X-1000. A few questions about sound modes. If I change the sound mode for a signal, is there a way to get an original decoding back on the receiver? For example if I change the decoding for a stereo signal to multi-channel stereo, is there a way to get back the original stereo decoding with a single button? Right now I have to cycle through the DSP options to get back to stereo mode. Also what is the difference between stereo Cinema, Music and Game modes? Also is there any difference between Dolby/DTS Cinema, Music and Game modes?
post #3429 of 11171 Old 11-10-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunmetalR56 View Post

Hi all, it's quite possible I've missed this being covered elsewhere in the thread but since updating the firmware on my x4000, when running Audyssey set up, I'm no longer given the prompt to set the sub up at 75db.

was this changed with the firmware update?

thanks!

It probably didn't prompt you for sub level because the level is already fine! It would be, unless you purposely changed it enough from your previous Audyssey cal. So what I do is purposely put the level at the sub(s) out of whack when I want to do some level matching. I do this so Audyssey will set the eventual sub levels closer to zero than it will if I set the sub(s) at 75dB (a bit of a mystery why it's not even close, but it's been often reported on this forum). The speed and convenience of XT32 in the X4000 is wonderful for doing little setup trials, was kind of painful in what I'm more used to.
post #3430 of 11171 Old 11-10-2013, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
HI,

Anybody else having a problem with the Denon Remote app on iPhone (IOS 7) and spotify?

Since the app update, I can no longer use Spotify on my X4000. The remote app shows "Item X) where X is supposed to be a playlist, Only the first few appear, then just a long list of "Item X"
Used to be when I scrolled down the Item would turn into a playlist. Left it for about 20min and still nothing.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Thanks
Ron
post #3431 of 11171 Old 11-10-2013, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I just got a new X4000 and set it up without issue.  But when I stream 5.1 channel flacs to it, they are coming out stereo.  Does anyone know if the X4000 handles 5.1 channel flacs?  If not, any recommendations?  Will converting flac to wav solve the problem?  Thanks for any help.

post #3432 of 11171 Old 11-10-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstambo View Post

HI,

Anybody else having a problem with the Denon Remote app on iPhone (IOS 7) and spotify?

Since the app update, I can no longer use Spotify on my X4000. The remote app shows "Item X) where X is supposed to be a playlist, Only the first few appear, then just a long list of "Item X"
Used to be when I scrolled down the Item would turn into a playlist. Left it for about 20min and still nothing.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Thanks
Ron

Ron don't have Spotify on any of my models; but did note the iOS 7 has been updated at least twice as have been the Denon & Marantz Apps.

Have you checked to see those are current?

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
post #3433 of 11171 Old 11-10-2013, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I posted this in the Receivers forum, but maybe will have better luck here.

I bought two Denon POA-800's to augment my Denon AVR-X4000 (driving the Front Wides). The Denon POA-800s produce no sound from the Front Wide speakers, wired as below. They drive speakers using an old CD player I had around. Both an old Sony receiver (STR-DG510) and an Onkyo M-5310 power amp do produce sound wired to the pre-outs of the AVR-X4000.

I believe I had the amps wired correctly:
- Mono switch on
- Power on (g), and volume from min to max
- A single RCA cable from the pre-amp out of the AVR-X4000 to the Left input on the POA-800s
- The speaker wires to the topmost (Red) speaker jacks on both POA-800s, per the Service Manual
- I also tried both the POA-800s, separately, wired in stereo configuration (reds to reds, whites to whites, lefts to lefts rights to rights, switched to Stereo), with no sound

So it seems the AVR-X4000 pre-outs (Front Wide) work, and the POA-800s work, just not together. Very odd. Anyone, say BatPig or JDSmoothie, got any ideas? Any weird impedance issues or whatnot? TIA.

Denon AVR-X4000
Onkyo M-5130
Panasonic VIERA TC-P65VT60
SVS Dual-PB12-NSD, a pair
Pioneer Andrew Jones
Cambridge Soundworks Dipole rear center
X-Rite EODIS3 i1Display/Calman5 Control
Denon AH-D600 headphones
post #3434 of 11171 Old 11-10-2013, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have an all-new setup with the Denon X2000, a Samsung 3D HDTV and a Sony 3D BD player. When I tried to play a 3D movie the Sony reported that my TV was not 3D compatible. When I bypassed the Denon, however, everything worked. Is there some setting I need to find on the Denon to allow 3D links?

Thank you for any suggestions!
post #3435 of 11171 Old 11-10-2013, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

Ron don't have Spotify on any of my models; but did note the iOS 7 has been updated at least twice as have been the Denon & Marantz Apps.

Have you checked to see those are current?

Hi there,

Yes, I have the latest version of the app installed. This problem didn't occur before IOS 7. It worked fine.
Thanks
Ron
post #3436 of 11171 Old 11-10-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsalsero View Post

I have an all-new setup with the Denon X2000, a Samsung 3D HDTV and a Sony 3D BD player. When I tried to play a 3D movie the Sony reported that my TV was not 3D compatible. When I bypassed the Denon, however, everything worked. Is there some setting I need to find on the Denon to allow 3D links?

Thank you for any suggestions!
I setup a very similar system for a customer Wednesday and had the same issue. I swapped the 30' HDMI cable (equipment located in a closet) and all was good.

Hear me now, Listen to me later....
post #3437 of 11171 Old 11-10-2013, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1721 Post(s)
Liked: 1932
My first thought was also HDMI cable.

To answer the question though, no, there are no settings to enable/disable 3D pass through.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #3438 of 11171 Old 11-10-2013, 03:09 PM

I was just curious as to why Denon, and perhaps other home theater receiver manufacturers, makes the same receivers with different features around the world.  I own the U.S. model of the X3000, but when I look at the U.K./European version of the X3000 it has more pre-outs than what I have.  It does not seem fair that the U.S. Denon middle receivers get the short shrift unless you buy the top of the line models such as the X4000 or the AVR-4520.  I guess it is similar that the Asian/Australian models have less features than the U.S. models.  

Is there some regulatory provisions for each region that mandate some features be present or not on all models?  One would think that it would be easier to have the same product for every region.  I hope someone can answer my question.

David

post #3439 of 11171 Old 11-10-2013, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix64015 View Post

Had the EXACT same issues as you. It would happen randomly. Couldn't figure out if it was from watching cable or PS3 movies. Then happened to both. Sometimes once a week with the power down issue, sometimes multiple. Then it got worse & worse. Finally the unit wouldn't come back on at all. So I called Denon in NJ & told them they need to send me a shipping label to cover costs to fix the unit I just paid over $1000 for. It took them a couple of days but I got my label, sent the unit in & got it back right at 2 weeks total. What was the issue? A blown/bad HDMI board. Give them a call 201.762.6665 & get it fixed. Very crappy situation. I was troubleshooting for weeks. I unplugged different speakers, tested every single speaker wire AND speaker, different outlets, different surge protectors, new banana plugs all around. I was really upset because I've only owned the unit for 2 months but they took care of me. Good luck!

Add me into the same problem. Started having protection mode red blinking very rarely at first and somehow this week (2 months ownership too), it started doing it frequently to the point of immediate shutdown or within an hour. I also made a post about the inconsistent sound quality when connected to different HDMI ports in earlier post. Seemed like HDMI board issue.
Had the unit packed and sending it to service center tomorrow. We'll see what the issue is.
post #3440 of 11171 Old 11-11-2013, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 94
My x1000 that I have had for about 2 months now has started having issues. It is randomly cycling power on its own......sometimes once then its ok.......othertimes it will cycle 3 or 4 times be ok for 20min then does it again. I have double checked all connections......nothing loose.........all speaker wires are secure and wired correctly. It has been working nicely until a few days ago frown.gif
post #3441 of 11171 Old 11-11-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post

My x1000 that I have had for about 2 months now has started having issues. It is randomly cycling power on its own......sometimes once then its ok.......othertimes it will cycle 3 or 4 times be ok for 20min then does it again. I have double checked all connections......nothing loose.........all speaker wires are secure and wired correctly. It has been working nicely until a few days ago frown.gif
post #3442 of 11171 Old 11-11-2013, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 102
They have been issues with x1000
post #3443 of 11171 Old 11-11-2013, 10:21 AM

Well, just bit the bullet and ordered the X4000 and a couple ProMonitor 800's for the L/R front surround from JDSmoothie

This guys knows his stuff!

I also lucked out because a neighbor of mine has a decade old Integra receiver that doesn't even have s-Video on it and had been feeding it with 2 channel stereo out of his TV analog output! So he's going to pick up my 3313CI at a 'very' reasonable price.

Kid in a candy store here.

Hope I get it so I can play and install it before Thanksgiving and report back here as to direct differences between a well adjusted Audessy 3313ci and the new X4000. I'm planning on just going one for one, do some tests and then hook up the new front surrounds (if my wife doesn't kill me that is, she's really picky about the family room, but I also bought the Def Tech stands that match up exactly with my Mythos ST's so I'm hoping to get away with them) and then rerun everything and see just what the wide field sound does!

The hardest part will be then taking a state of he art 3313ci and retrofitting it so some really old stuff the my neighbor has! He was wires going to places that I thought wires couldn't go! Oh well, he like wine and so do I !

Thanks JD!

George
post #3444 of 11171 Old 11-11-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1501 Post(s)
Liked: 1375
Just bought the x4000 thing is sweet. Can anyone recommend a good wifi adapter for it?

Thanks!!

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-5 gen | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSA MT110sur surrounds | 3 - PSA XS30 (1 SE) | OPPO 103 |

the SadieMax HT build thread - my first build
post #3445 of 11171 Old 11-11-2013, 05:05 PM
585-645-1006

Router
Cisco WRT-100
Cisco E3200
Linksys BEFSX41
Netgear N600 3400v2
Netgear WNDR-3800
Netgear WNDR4500
Airport Extreme

Bridge (connected to AVR provides wireless connection to the home's wifi router)
Cisco WRT-54G
TRENDnet TEW-640MB
Airport Extreme
Airport Express
Linksys WET610N
Netgear WN2000RPT - 4 port
Netgear WN2500RP
D-Link DAP-1522

Other
Netgear XAVB5004 Powerline Network Adapter (4-port) (on AVR set Network Standby/IP Control to ON/Always ON)
D-Link Powerline Adapter
Belkin Video Link 3 (w/static IP)
D-Link 8-Port Gigabit Switch (DGS-1008G)

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
post #3446 of 11171 Old 11-11-2013, 05:07 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm370 View Post

Well, just bit the bullet and ordered the X4000 and a couple ProMonitor 800's for the L/R front surround from JDSmoothie

This guys knows his stuff!

I also lucked out because a neighbor of mine has a decade old Integra receiver that doesn't even have s-Video on it and had been feeding it with 2 channel stereo out of his TV analog output! So he's going to pick up my 3313CI at a 'very' reasonable price.

Kid in a candy store here.

Hope I get it so I can play and install it before Thanksgiving and report back here as to direct differences between a well adjusted Audessy 3313ci and the new X4000. I'm planning on just going one for one, do some tests and then hook up the new front surrounds (if my wife doesn't kill me that is, she's really picky about the family room, but I also bought the Def Tech stands that match up exactly with my Mythos ST's so I'm hoping to get away with them) and then rerun everything and see just what the wide field sound does!

The hardest part will be then taking a state of he art 3313ci and retrofitting it so some really old stuff the my neighbor has! He was wires going to places that I thought wires couldn't go! Oh well, he like wine and so do I !

Thanks JD!

George

Sure. Always enjoy talking to forum members and providing great prices in the process. smile.gif

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #3447 of 11171 Old 11-11-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post

Well now its constantly turning off and on. I unplugged everything but the power cord.
post #3448 of 11171 Old 11-11-2013, 05:49 PM
585-645-1006

Unless you want to run Audyssey again, save the config file to a PC and then reset the microprocessor ....

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#post_23134213

If still no joy, then check with the reseller and see if they will exchange it, otherwise its off for repair if purchased from an authorized Denon dealer.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #3449 of 11171 Old 11-11-2013, 10:32 PM

Hi guys,

Can someone be kind enough to measure the carton box (packaging) dimension of AVR-X2000?

Thanks in advance.
post #3450 of 11171 Old 11-11-2013, 11:23 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

Just bought the x4000 thing is sweet. Can anyone recommend a good wifi adapter for it?

Thanks!!

Sorry to not answer your question. Just wanted to suggest you try a wireless bridge instead of investing in a wifi adapter. I use an older router as wireless bridge behind my media cabinet. I have lan cable from the bridge to all my components, AVR X4000, BD player, TV, Dish Network DVR etc. The wifi connection between my wireless router and the wireless bridge is more robust than when I was using wifi on each of my devices. Better for streaming movies and music for example. Use an old router if you have one. Or buy a cheap one for not much more than a wifi adapter. Search for wireless bridge setup if you want more info. Just advice.
SanchoPanza likes this.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , dolby digital plus , netflix 5.1
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page