The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 121 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3601 of 9465 Old 11-21-2013, 06:41 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1867 Post(s)
Liked: 1725
^^
Have you done a microprocessor reset before using that procedure or is this the first time? Did you press/hold the buttons and then power the unit on waiting at least 4-5 seconds for the front panel display to flash? Try powering off all devices (to include the phone) and unplugging all devices for a few minutes. For the reset, try the "Network reset" procedure by pressing/holding the UP/DOWN arrow buttons on the front panel and then power the unit ON.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 9465 Old 11-21-2013, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quickish question if I may:
- I have just purchased an X4000 and am running two Emotiva XPA2 (Front channels) and XPA5 for surrounds and centre.
- So not using the Denon on-board Amps at all..

My query has to do with the way Denon / Audyssey sets up volume levels for speakers (After I have run calibration)
- My Fronts are set to -4db
- Center set to -3db
- Surrounds @ -1db
- Rear surrounds @ +1db
- Subwoofer -5db

To increase general volume is it crazy for me to lift everything by a few db? Is doing this going to throw out any other Audyssey settings?

Little bit curious / worried if sending out such a low volume signal to the extrernal amps (like -4db to the fronts) can lessen sound quality, or have I got this wrong ?
post #3603 of 9465 Old 11-21-2013, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 47
1. This happened to me after a couple weeks of X4000. Reset the network interface, that usually works for this type of prob: you can do it from the front panel in the Network menu. Just go to the Settings page and select Save when you can; you don't have to actually change anything.

2. You don't need to reset the X4000 to do a Load. Well, not normally, I'm not exactly sure what state yours is in. Hopefully 1. will solve your prob and then you can do the Load in 2. from the web GUI.
post #3604 of 9465 Old 11-21-2013, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked: 1576
@ jrumpff -- You've got it wrong smile.gif

The system is properly calibrated to reference (75db with the internal test tones). Negative trims will not affect sound quality and there is still plenty of voltage to drive an external amp.

If you want it louder.... just turn up the volume wink.gif

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #3605 of 9465 Old 11-21-2013, 06:59 PM

Thanks Batpig!

I will leave levels alone then...
post #3606 of 9465 Old 11-21-2013, 07:28 PM

Thanks cfraser. The undocumented network reset did the trick. Although I had to power cycle the unit by bear hugging my equipment rack, pulling the power cord with left hand while keeping my right hand fingers on the up/down buttons.

I've been a member of this forum since 2001 and have ALWAYS found the experts here to fix problems. Such a great community. Thanks again.
post #3607 of 9465 Old 11-22-2013, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamandro View Post

For most music, I started listening in "Music" (on the remote) or "Stereo" (in the app). In this mode the sub is active and all.
For Jazz and the likes, I prefer listening in Direct or Pure Direct. So no Audyssey there.

I thought Stereo was actually 2.1 w/audyssey, Direct was 2ch w/audyssey and Pure Direct was straight 2ch w/o audyssey. This not right?
post #3608 of 9465 Old 11-22-2013, 12:24 AM
585-645-1006

Nope. Both DIRECT and PURE DIRECT disable Audyssey and bass management. PURE DIRECT does the same thing as DIRECT, rather it also cuts out the analog video processing and the front panel display.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #3609 of 9465 Old 11-22-2013, 01:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Nope. Both DIRECT and PURE DIRECT disable Audyssey and bass management. PURE DIRECT does the same thing as DIRECT, rather it also cuts out the analog video processing and the front panel display.
Huh, then how do I run 2ch with audyssey? What about 2.1?
post #3610 of 9465 Old 11-22-2013, 02:09 AM
585-645-1006

As you noted, STEREO mode would be 2.1 w/Audyssey while 2.0 w/Audyssey can be done on the X4000 a couple of ways .....

(1) If using the same set of FL/FR speakers for 5.1 and 2.0, STEREO mode w/Subwoofer Level set to OFF. This setting could then be stored into one of the Quick Select buttons for a particular source in which you wanted to use this setting.

(2) If using a second set of FL/FR speakers for 2.0 only, Amp Assign set to "7.1CH/2 CH Front" which defaults the 2nd set of FL/FR speakers to LARGE when using the "Manual" setting and the sub would be inactive when playing stereo 2.0 audio
ambesolman likes this.

post #3611 of 9465 Old 11-22-2013, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Quote:

Huh, then how do I run 2ch with audyssey? What about 2.1?

Bass management and Audyssey are independent. Audyssey doesn't care if you have 2.0, 2.1. 3., 3.1 etc. It just EQs your speakers.

You should check out my FAQ, I have a specific section on Steteo vs Direct modes. http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html#audio
ambesolman likes this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3612 of 9465 Old 11-22-2013, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Guys, could you tell me if X3000 can play HDMI from 2 sources, one in zone 1 and the other in zone 2?

I mean, it's possible to watch a blu-ray with PS3 in 5.1 in zone 1 (TV), and play Xbox360 in 2.0 in zone 2 (projector)?

If X3000 can only play sound in zone 2 and not video also, then X2000 with a HDMI splitter would be the better choice.

If X3000 allows to play different contents in different zones, and the only difference is that in zone 1 you get video with 5.1 sound, and in zone 2 you get different video but with 2.0 sound, then this would be the choice.

Do you think that it worth waiting for a HDMI 2.0 receiver, or 1.4 is good enough for the next 5-10 years (for movies, Xbox and Playstation)?
post #3613 of 9465 Old 11-22-2013, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yes the X3000 has discrete HDMI zone outputs. So you could be watching a blu ray in 5.1 in main zone and feed zone 2 HDMI to a second display and do video games.

If you are willing to add a cheap HDMI receiver to Zone 2 you could even do full surround sound in both zones from one set of source inputs.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3614 of 9465 Old 11-22-2013, 12:28 PM

Both at the same time...?

Super cool. Plus InstaPrevue.

What about HDMI 2.0? Should be a concern that X3000 won't support 4k @60hz?
Should I wait for HDMI to be future proof for the next 5 years regarding the receiver?

Thanks for the answers.
post #3615 of 9465 Old 11-22-2013, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevo82 View Post

Both at the same time...?

Super cool. Plus InstaPrevue.

What about HDMI 2.0? Should be a concern that X3000 won't support 4k @60hz?
Should I wait for HDMI to be future proof for the next 5 years regarding the receiver?

Thanks for the answers.

Some would say yes - but look at it this way, you're probably not going to be buying an ultra def TV for several years until they come down in price ( or are you? ) .. they're WAY WAY out of my price range... why not enjoy the X-4000 for the next 4 years or so then buy a 2.0 ready receiver when you're ready to go 4k ? ... in 4 years who knows what other great features will be included on AVR's. In addition, you can still use the X-4000 for 4k movies shot at 24fps, which I believe most are or will be. It's video games I think that will, at least initially, work at 60 fps. At least that's my understanding. How long do you keep receivers for? if you plan on having your next receiver for 10 years then yes I'd wait, but if you upgrade every few years then hit the X4000.
post #3616 of 9465 Old 11-22-2013, 01:48 PM

Hello everybody,

happy owner of the Denon AVR-X3000 since two days, I tried to configured everything as desired, i.e :

zone 1 : projector + eltax monitor III + IV + central (HDMI<=>HDMI)

zone 2 : pc monitor + 2.0 speakers (bose acoustimas) (DVI<=>HDMI)

Sources :

- freebox (set top tv receiver from a french provider)  (HDMI<=>HDMI)

- ps3 (HDMI<=>HDMI)

- various analog sources (JACK 3.5 <=> CINCH)

What is working ?

- Zone 1 is working perfectly, spotify, freebox, ps3, I've image + sound on each sources

- Image in zone 2

- analog sources in zone 2

- network sources in zone 2 (internet radio + spotify)

What is not wrorking ?

- Impossible to have sound in zone 2 for hdmi sources.

I changed HDMI cables several time, inverted hdmi cables, changed pc monitor (I tried 3 of them, and those 3 monitors work perfectly in zone 1), I read the 200 pages of the manual, I touch every switch in the setup menu, but definitively, the zone 2 stays mute :(

If someone in a similar configuration can help me figure what i made wrong, it would be great !!!!

Thanks in advance !!!

Best regards

Denis Sacchet

post #3617 of 9465 Old 11-22-2013, 01:58 PM

I recently replaced my aging AVR2807 with a new AVR X4000 and I am in the process of setting up, checking and “Tuning Up” my entire system. In doing so a couple of questions have arisen I hope Batpig, JD or someone else can address.

Over the years I have always set my speakers to “Small" and used the “LFE” setting with an 80Hz crossover setting when calibrating the old Audyssey EQ and this has worked well. In reviewing the Denon X4000 manual and this thread as well as the Audyssey thread it has made me question my speaker settings. My subwoofer is a Velodyne FSR 18 and my front main L&R speakers are Infinity Composition Preludes, Model P-FR. These speakers have a side firing 12” powered subwoofer in each tower and the internal crossovers are 110, 350 and 3,000 Hz. The subwoofer amplifier in the towers can be turned off, effectively removing the subwoofers from the towers. Overall speaker configuration is 7.1. My questions are:

1. With the speakers set to small and the X4000 set to “LFE” should I continue to use the subwoofer (power switch “On”) in the towers or should it be turned off?

2. If the subwoofer in the towers is left “On” should I continue to use an 80Hz crossover setting or should it be raised to match the 110Hz setting in the towers?

One additional question: Is there a way to save the Denon settings to a PC or USB thumb drive?

Any other recommendations with this set up? smile.gif
post #3618 of 9465 Old 11-22-2013, 02:03 PM

You are right.

I wouldn't get a new TV any time soon. I have a Panasonic VT plasma and now a Benq W1070.

I would rather get a 4K projector than a 4K TV.

My Technics DX930 receiver is from 2000, so I won't upgrade every 2 years, unless I really need it, like I need now a HDMI compatible receiver.

Actually I don't play PC games (that will do 60fps), only XBOX and PS3, and movies, which I understood that will be 24fps for a long time.
post #3619 of 9465 Old 11-22-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait II View Post

I recently replaced my aging AVR2807 with a new AVR X4000 and I am in the process of setting up, checking and “Tuning Up” my entire system. In doing so a couple of questions have arisen I hope Batpig, JD or someone else can address.

Over the years I have always set my speakers to “Small" and used the “LFE” setting with an 80Hz crossover setting when calibrating the old Audyssey EQ and this has worked well. In reviewing the Denon X4000 manual and this thread as well as the Audyssey thread it has made me question my speaker settings. My subwoofer is a Velodyne FSR 18 and my front main L&R speakers are Infinity Composition Preludes, Model P-FR. These speakers have a side firing 12” powered subwoofer in each tower and the internal crossovers are 110, 350 and 3,000 Hz. The subwoofer amplifier in the towers can be turned off, effectively removing the subwoofers from the towers. Overall speaker configuration is 7.1. My questions are:

1. With the speakers set to small and the X4000 set to “LFE” should I continue to use the subwoofer (power switch “On”) in the towers or should it be turned off?
Continue to use the speakers' internal subwoofers. Without them, you'd have to raise the crossovers to above 110 Hz.
Quote:
2. If the subwoofer in the towers is left “On” should I continue to use an 80Hz crossover setting or should it be raised to match the 110Hz setting in the towers?
80 Hz is fine. Most people can tell where sounds higher than that are coming from (i.e. from the direction of the real subwoofer), so it's usually not a good idea to set the crossovers too high. But you can try higher crossover frequencies to find out if they make the over-all sound any better.
Quote:
One additional question: Is there a way to save the Denon settings to a PC or USB thumb drive?
The Denon's Web interface includes "save" and "restore" options to save settings to the computer where you're running the browser. Some browsers don't show the options, though. Using Internet Explorer in compatibility mode often is recommended.
Quote:
Room treatments and using REW to measure the quality of the sound might be useful if you're inclined that way. It can become a very deep rabbit hole, though.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #3620 of 9465 Old 11-22-2013, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Continue to use the speakers' internal subwoofers. Without them, you'd have to raise the crossovers to above 110 Hz.
80 Hz is fine. Most people can tell where sounds higher than that are coming from (i.e. from the direction of the real subwoofer), so it's usually not a good idea to set the crossovers too high. But you can try higher crossover frequencies to find out if they make the over-all sound any better.

Selden's answers are spot-on. I might add a couple points though.

With the internal crossover of 110hz in your towers, the towers' built-in subs essentially begin playing at 110hz and go on down to whatever frequency you crossover to your Velodyne. So, if you're crossing over at 80hz, then the subs in the towers are only playing in the range from 80-110hz. If it were me, I'd experiment with even lower crossovers, like 60hz, or maybe even 40hz (depending how capable the towers' subs are). Here's why: the lower the frequency, the more power it takes to reach the same SPL. Also, our hearing is less sensitive to lower frequencies, so even higher SPLs are needed in order for it to "seem" just as loud as higher frequencies. So, if your towers can handle the range down to 60hz, or even 40hz, then the amp in your Velodyne only has to supply the power for frequencies below that level (ie. the Velodyne's amp power can be used where it is needed most). This may help to maximize your system's total headroom.

Chronic masticator.
Gear: Speakers (Paradigm Reference Studio Series): 40 v4 (front L/R), CC-690 v4 (centre), 20 v4 (surround L/R). PSA XS30 (subwoofer).
Denon AVR-X4000, Emotiva XPA-5, Samsung PN64F8500 (64" plasma), DarbeeVision Darblet DVP5000, PS3, Sony BDP-S6200, Apple TV (3rd gen.), Harmony One, Sennheiser RS180
post #3621 of 9465 Old 11-22-2013, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Bass management and Audyssey are independent. Audyssey doesn't care if you have 2.0, 2.1. 3., 3.1 etc. It just EQs your speakers.

You should check out my FAQ, I have a specific section on Steteo vs Direct modes. http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html#audio

Quote:

As you noted, STEREO mode would be 2.1 w/Audyssey while 2.0 w/Audyssey can be done on the X4000 a couple of ways .....

(1) If using the same set of FL/FR speakers for 5.1 and 2.0, STEREO mode w/Subwoofer Level set to OFF

(2) If using a second set of FL/FR speakers for 2.0 only, Amp Assign set to "7.1CH/2 CH Front" which defaults the 2nd set of FL/FR speakers to LARGE when using the "Manual" setting and the sub would be inactive when playing stereo 2.0 audio
I'm trying to optimize my setup for when I want to play music. I use the same LR for music and movies. When I watch movies the amp assign has been set to "7.1ch (sb/fh/fw)" as it lets me run 5.1+wides. However, this assignment doesn't allow any tweaking for 2ch, ie, "2ch playback and front speaker setup" are greyed out in Manual Setup. "7.1ch/2ch front" and "5.1 + front B" are the only amp assignments that will let you adjust "2ch Playback." Of those, only "5.1ch +Front B" let's me use the LR for 2ch selecting A speakers (mains). B speakers are apparently the surround back speakers. "7.1ch/2ch" doesn't let me use the LR for 2ch, but instead is using the wides, with Front Speaker Setup greyed out. Is there a way to change this? I'm trying to keep from changing the amp assignment as much as possible while optimizing 2ch. Sorry, it's my first denon😕
post #3622 of 9465 Old 11-22-2013, 05:04 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait II View Post

1. On
2. Try 60Hz or 80Hz, otherwise just raise them to 80Hz.
3. See post #4 (item 2.0) in this thread. I prefer to use Chrome and detail step by step how to run it in post #2775.

post #3623 of 9465 Old 11-22-2013, 05:11 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsacchet View Post

Hello everybody,

happy owner of the Denon AVR-X3000 since two days, I tried to configured everything as desired, i.e :

zone 1 : projector + eltax monitor III + IV + central (HDMI<=>HDMI)
zone 2 : pc monitor + 2.0 speakers (bose acoustimas) (DVI<=>HDMI)

Sources :
- freebox (set top tv receiver from a french provider)  (HDMI<=>HDMI)
- ps3 (HDMI<=>HDMI)
- various analog sources (JACK 3.5 <=> CINCH)

What is working ?

- Zone 1 is working perfectly, spotify, freebox, ps3, I've image + sound on each sources
- Image in zone 2
- analog sources in zone 2
- network sources in zone 2 (internet radio + spotify)

What is not wrorking ?

- Impossible to have sound in zone 2 for hdmi sources.

I changed HDMI cables several time, inverted hdmi cables, changed pc monitor (I tried 3 of them, and those 3 monitors work perfectly in zone 1), I read the 200 pages of the manual, I touch every switch in the setup menu, but definitively, the zone 2 stays mute frown.gif

If someone in a similar configuration can help me figure what i made wrong, it would be great !!!!

Thanks in advance !!!

Best regards

Denis Sacchet

So then the PC monitor is connected to the Zone 2 (HDMI) monitor out and the Bose speakers are connected to the Zone 2 speaker posts? In this case the HDMI source must be stereo 2.0 and you may likely not be able to play the same source to both Zones due to using the DVI cable.

post #3624 of 9465 Old 11-22-2013, 05:59 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

I'm trying to optimize my setup for when I want to play music. I use the same LR for music and movies. When I watch movies the amp assign has been set to "7.1ch (sb/fh/fw)" as it lets me run 5.1+wides. However, this assignment doesn't allow any tweaking for 2ch, ie, "2ch playback and front speaker setup" are greyed out in Manual Setup. "7.1ch/2ch front" and "5.1 + front B" are the only amp assignments that will let you adjust "2ch Playback." Of those, only "5.1ch +Front B" let's me use the LR for 2ch selecting A speakers (mains). B speakers are apparently the surround back speakers. "7.1ch/2ch" doesn't let me use the LR for 2ch, but instead is using the wides, with Front Speaker Setup greyed out. Is there a way to change this? I'm trying to keep from changing the amp assignment as much as possible while optimizing 2ch. Sorry, it's my first denon😕

Sorry, but no, rather option 1 is likely your best bet.

post #3625 of 9465 Old 11-22-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, but no, rather option 1 is likely your best bet.
Sorry, option 1 being 5.1+front B? No way to rewire anything to get 7.1/2ch to work with my mains?
post #3626 of 9465 Old 11-22-2013, 07:28 PM
585-645-1006

No, my option (1) in post 3610.

post #3627 of 9465 Old 11-22-2013, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, my option (1) in post 3610.
Using which amp assign?
post #3628 of 9465 Old 11-22-2013, 07:42 PM
585-645-1006

As you clearly pointed out in your own post, you cannot use Amp Assign other than the default one you currently use (ie. 7.1CH(SB/FH/FW).

post #3629 of 9465 Old 11-22-2013, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As you clearly pointed out in your own post, you cannot use Amp Assign other than the default one you currently use (ie. 7.1CH(SB/FH/FW).
Um ok. Would be nice if the amp assignment was input specific and remembered that setting along with all the others.
post #3630 of 9465 Old 11-22-2013, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
X2000 owner here and wondering if anyone else is having this problem...

Just recently the video will go black like the tv is losing signal every 5-10 min. Connected the cable directly to the tv to bypass the receiver and no issues. Hook it back up to the receiver and it's an issue again. Starting to bother me and can't seem to fix it. Anyone have this issue? If so how can I fix it? Also haven't updated any firmware yet. Think this could help?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , dolby digital plus , netflix 5.1
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page