The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 136 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4051 of 8757 Old 12-08-2013, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This may be a little off topic but whenever my kid uploads a photo to Facebook from her phone (Samsung Galaxy S3) while on the Facebook web page it turns on my X4000 and displays the photo on my TV. Kind of annoying when I'm watching tv using HDMI pass through on the X4000. Anyone else have this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4052 of 8757 Old 12-08-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Figured it out. I usually keep it in 7.1, but I had been tinkering in 5.1+front B. Under that in 2ch playback, the fronts were set to large. Changed it to Small and the sub re-engaged. Even though the sub was still "on" it was not outputting anything to it.
Seems like it should save things under specific amp assignments like it does with specific inputs. Instead, it's just another global setting.
However, this still leaves me with my initial issue of wanting to switch btw 2.0 and 2.1 while using audyssey for both. As it stands, Stereo now is 2.1 and have now way to select 2.0 unless it's Direct.
Any suggestions?
Well, the only work around I found to quickly turn the sub on and off was to download the DeRemote app for my phone. It's $5 but has many more functions than the Denon app though not as easy to navigate. You can turn the sub on/off and even change the amp assignment which is something the other app can't do. Actually, it does a LOT of things the other app won't do so may be worth it to some others out there.
post #4053 of 8757 Old 12-08-2013, 09:02 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 1437
Quote:
Originally Posted by William K View Post

This may be a little off topic but whenever my kid uploads a photo to Facebook from her phone (Samsung Galaxy S3) while on the Facebook web page it turns on my X4000 and displays the photo on my TV. Kind of annoying when I'm watching tv using HDMI pass through on the X4000. Anyone else have this problem?

Not off topic at all as it does impact the X4000. If you don't use the IP Control feature, one option is to set it to "Off in Standby".

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4054 of 8757 Old 12-08-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Well, the only work around I found to quickly turn the sub on and off was to download the DeRemote app for my phone. It's $5 but has many more functions than the Denon app though not as easy to navigate. You can turn the sub on/off and even change the amp assignment which is something the other app can't do. Actually, it does a LOT of things the other app won't do so may be worth it to some others out there.
Yup I bought it as well. It's great! Especially when running REW to change the audyssey quickly. And to change speaker levels.

Worth 5$ easily

Panasonic 65VT30 | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XSP-1 | Emotiva DC-1 | PSB imagine B's |PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp

My first HT build threadhttp://www.avsforum.com/forum/showth...ferrerid=29614
post #4055 of 8757 Old 12-08-2013, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

No worries. We respond to the same questions over and over again here all the time. smile.gif I was simply using your post as a reminder to folks to check those posts #3-6 on page 1 as many of the questions are answered there.

I can confirm that once I opened the web controller page, after enabling compatibility view for the X4000's address, the save/load button was there, and I was able to save successfully!

Chronic masticator.
Gear: Speakers (Paradigm Reference Studio Series): 40 v4 (front L/R), CC-690 v4 (centre), 20 v4 (surround L/R). PSA XS30 (subwoofer).
Denon AVR-X4000, Emotiva XPA-5, Samsung PN64F8500 (64" plasma), DarbeeVision Darblet DVP5000, PS3, Sony BDP-S6200, Apple TV (3rd gen.), Harmony One, Sennheiser RS180
post #4056 of 8757 Old 12-08-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:

Not off topic at all as it does impact the X4000. If you don't use the IP Control feature, one option is to set it to "Off in Standby".

Thanks once again for the help JD. I'll give that a try and see what happens.
post #4057 of 8757 Old 12-08-2013, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
There may be an X2000 in my future but I have a question about zone 2 functionality. I want to connect my computer to the receiver via HDMI and have the receiver output to just the two zone 2 speakers, with no sound coming out of the 5.1 setup I have in the main zone. Source will be XBMC/music, specifically the radio plugin. I like the Milkdrop visualization in the background and would like to be able to see it on the screen.

On page 180 of the manual, it says "you cannot play back the audio for digital signals that are input from the HDMI connector or digital connectors (OPTICAL/COAXIAL). Make an analog connection instead." I have to believe that but it doesn't quite agree with what BatPig and JDSmoothie say on page 1 of this forum: "All Zone Stereo feature will play any digital source in both zones simultaneously." The two seem somewhat contradictory. Am I misreading something?
post #4058 of 8757 Old 12-08-2013, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboe77 View Post

Does the use of those icons change the way the signal is transmitted? I have those same three commands, also mapped to touchscreen buttons, but instead of being labeled A, B, C, I gave them text labels: Movie Modes, Music Modes, and Game Modes. However, on the original remote, you have to press and hold the button for a few seconds to bring up the menu, while a single press only displays the mode currently in use. When using my Harmony, when I press and hold these buttons, the X4000 only registers a single press. So it will display the mode in use, but it will not bring up the menu for changing the surround mode.

I might just use the ios app for changing these.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

I don't use the pull up sound mode menu but instead preset the Movie, Game and Music buttons I use the most. Since each button can remember the last selection, I preset Movie, Game and Music button as follow
A as "Dolby D + PLllx Cinema"
B as "Multi Ch Stereo"
C as "Dolby Digital".

I was unable to resolve my issue with the Harmony Remote, but I realized that JChin has got it right. Once I've got the proper modes set for each type of input, I only need the single button press to switch between them. Thanks for the advice! smile.gif

Chronic masticator.
Gear: Speakers (Paradigm Reference Studio Series): 40 v4 (front L/R), CC-690 v4 (centre), 20 v4 (surround L/R). PSA XS30 (subwoofer).
Denon AVR-X4000, Emotiva XPA-5, Samsung PN64F8500 (64" plasma), DarbeeVision Darblet DVP5000, PS3, Sony BDP-S6200, Apple TV (3rd gen.), Harmony One, Sennheiser RS180
post #4059 of 8757 Old 12-08-2013, 01:04 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim97219 View Post

There may be an X2000 in my future but I have a question about zone 2 functionality. I want to connect my computer to the receiver via HDMI and have the receiver output to just the two zone 2 speakers, with no sound coming out of the 5.1 setup I have in the main zone. Source will be XBMC/music, specifically the radio plugin. I like the Milkdrop visualization in the background and would like to be able to see it on the screen.

On page 180 of the manual, it says "you cannot play back the audio for digital signals that are input from the HDMI connector or digital connectors (OPTICAL/COAXIAL). Make an analog connection instead." I have to believe that but it doesn't quite agree with what BatPig and JDSmoothie say on page 1 of this forum: "All Zone Stereo feature will play any digital source in both zones simultaneously." The two seem somewhat contradictory. Am I misreading something?

The manual is referring to passing a dedicated source to Zone 2, which is true. The PC would have to be connected to the AVR with an analog cable to pass the audio to Zone 2 per your requirement. The All Zone Stereo feature will pass an HDMI stereo 2.0 signal from the PC to both Zones at the same time (not independently to Zone 2 only). So then with the X2000, if you only wanted audio to Zone 2 you would have to mute the audio in the main zone, and would not otherwise be able to select a different source in the main zone. For that feature addition, you would have to upgrade to the X3000 in order to pass the HDMI stereo audio from the PC to Zone 2 and play something else in the main zone at the same time.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
post #4060 of 8757 Old 12-08-2013, 01:10 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim97219 View Post

I have been looking into this same thing and there is a thread here
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1502974/zone-2-setup
that talks about this a little.
From my (limited, but growing) understanding you would need to step up to the X3000 for this functionality.
I'm about ready to go with the X3000 myself, but I want a functional android app and the reviews on google play are horrible for the latest version when used on the latest version of android. Which of course is what I would be wanting to do.

Anyone here use the Denon remote android app with a X3000 and have it working as intended??
post #4061 of 8757 Old 12-08-2013, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post

Right now, the only input I care about is the FiOS box. My ancient DVD player that I almost never use is component only. I'll play around with it. Ideally, I'd like to have sound from all speakers for all programming and have it automatically switch to "real" surround when it detects a signal. Maybe that's wishful thinking and it can't do it, I hope it can.

Also a problem with fluctuating volume levels. I believe there's an option for auto volume leveling, I may have to try that.

I'm sure I'll have more questions before I figure this out. Thanks to everyone who has offered advice (especially you and Selden Ball), this forum is great.

A problem with TV signals is that they may be transmitting a mono broadcast in a multichannel container. That means the AVR sees an incoming signal like Dolby 5.1 even if they are only using the center channel.
post #4062 of 8757 Old 12-08-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexth77 View Post

You might want to continue to monitor. I had this problem as well, seemed random at first and the issue gradually increased to the point it would go into protection mode (blinking red light) every few minutes. My X4000 is sent for repair a week ago and yet to hear back from Denon. I read another user had this problem and was due to HDMI board.

Crap, crap, CRAP! Looks like I might have this issue too. Bought my unit directly from Denon. I've gotten the fast-blink twice today after having zero issues in the past. All my wires are using banana plugs... no strays anywhere. Wonderful. I really don't want to be receiver-less for weeks just as my parents come into town for the holidays.

Regards,
Jeff
post #4063 of 8757 Old 12-08-2013, 01:19 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbutter View Post

From my (limited, but growing) understanding you would need to step up to the X3000 for this functionality.
I'm about ready to go with the X3000 myself, but I want a functional android app and the reviews on google play are horrible for the latest version when used on the latest version of android. Which of course is what I would be wanting to do.

Anyone here use the Denon remote android app with a X3000 and have it working as intended??

I have a section on Zone 2 in my post #3 of this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#user_M

Give AVR-Remote a try ....

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.pskiwi.avrremote&hl=en

post #4064 of 8757 Old 12-08-2013, 01:33 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceblade View Post

Crap, crap, CRAP! Looks like I might have this issue too. Bought my unit directly from Denon. I've gotten the fast-blink twice today after having zero issues in the past. All my wires are using banana plugs... no strays anywhere. Wonderful. I really don't want to be receiver-less for weeks just as my parents come into town for the holidays.

Regards,
Jeff

Suggest you visually check all of your speaker plug connections again as you would't be the first banana plug user to claim the same thing only to find there actually was a stray wire sticking out. wink.gif

post #4065 of 8757 Old 12-08-2013, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Me and my customers have had zero issues with the Denon/Marantz Android app. It works great for basic control in all zones.

Hear me now, Listen to me later....
post #4066 of 8757 Old 12-08-2013, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Is there a way to airplay or UPnP "play to" into zone 2? I guess not..

post #4067 of 8757 Old 12-08-2013, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Sure, you can fire up whatever network feature you want in zone 2. One limitation is you can only have Pandora playing one channel at a time. You can listen to it in all zones but if you change the channel, it changes it in all zones

Hear me now, Listen to me later....
post #4068 of 8757 Old 12-08-2013, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 1101
I think he was asking about doing it from the source, eg selecting zone 2 as the destination from iTunes or an iPhone, or as the PlayTo endpoint from windows. So it would just start playing in zone 2 without having to touch the receiver controls in some way. You can't do that, although you can access network features from zone 2 on the receiver side (eg using the smartphone app to fire up Pandora in zone 2).

Note that you can't fire up AirPlay in zone 2 directly without hijacking main zone temporarily. The entire receiver behaves as one "AirPlay speaker" so at the initiation of streaming the main zone will also flip to Airplay. But after it initiates you can then turn off main zone or turn to a different source.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #4069 of 8757 Old 12-08-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:

The manual is referring to passing a dedicated source to Zone 2, which is true. The PC would have to be connected to the AVR with an analog cable to pass the audio to Zone 2 per your requirement. The All Zone Stereo feature will pass an HDMI stereo 2.0 signal from the PC to both Zones at the same time (not independently to Zone 2 only). So then with the X2000, if you only wanted audio to Zone 2 you would have to mute the audio in the main zone, and would not otherwise be able to select a different source in the main zone. For that feature addition, you would have to upgrade to the X3000 in order to pass the HDMI stereo audio from the PC to Zone 2 and play something else in the main zone at the same time.

Thanks, JD. From what you say, the X2000 will do what I need. I don't need to have the receiver outputting two sources to two zones at the same time. In my case, the second zone is set up so that we don't trip over cables while playing board games and having a muted main zone wouldn't be a constraint so no need for the extra $ for the X3000.
post #4070 of 8757 Old 12-08-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbutter View Post

Thanks for that link, Danbutter. BBibb has summed it up pretty well.

Jim
post #4071 of 8757 Old 12-08-2013, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceblade View Post

Regards,
Jeff
I had this problem. Mine was shutting down with nothing but the power cord plugged in. I was lucky and able to return mine.
post #4072 of 8757 Old 12-08-2013, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rec head View Post

I had this problem. Mine was shutting down with nothing but the power cord plugged in. I was lucky and able to return mine.

Did you get a new replacement or did you ditch the X4000 altogether? Just curious if you got a new X4000 and it didn't have this issue? i too have had this problem and just packed mine up and new one will be here tomorrow. I have seen a good deal of people reporting this issue recently which makes me believe its an issue with the unit or some of them.

Thanks,
Brandon Linton
Mini Penn Cinema HT Build 1.0
post #4073 of 8757 Old 12-08-2013, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

I got a new one. I bought it at a local shop and the whole transaction was less than 5 minutes.
post #4074 of 8757 Old 12-08-2013, 08:37 PM

Liked: 13
Just got an OSD pop-up offering a new firmware for my E300 - anyone know what this fixed? I'm hoping for the Dolby Digital Plus issue! Can't find any info online, didn't want to download blind.
post #4075 of 8757 Old 12-09-2013, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

A problem with TV signals is that they may be transmitting a mono broadcast in a multichannel container. That means the AVR sees an incoming signal like Dolby 5.1 even if they are only using the center channel.

I'm not quite sure what this means. I did switch to Multi-Channel Stereo and am getting sound through all the speakers for network content except the sub. It may be mono but it is much better than having just the center channel. I believe it is switching to surround when it gets the signal. There's no indicator on the AVR but when I switch to a movie channel, it sounds like it's surround.

I have another question about crossovers. What are people using? I have small speakers for my 5 channels which I currently have at 80Hz. The sub has it's own setting that I have set at 100Hz. I'd like to increase the bass somewhat but I'm not sure what settings are best.
post #4076 of 8757 Old 12-09-2013, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry Jim I was typing on my tablet and it gets frustrating. The point is that a program from your cable box might be broadcasting using Dolby but they only have sound coming out of the center and are basically wasting the rest of the channels. The problem is that the AVR sees the multi-channel Dolby signal coming in and doesn't discern between Dolby with just the center playing and Dolby with all channels playing. The AVR just does what it is told and figures they meant (which they do) to only send the center channel. So if you have the AVR just decoding the signal with no additional processing you will only get the center. It is working the way it should even if it is not the way that is desired. So you switch to multi channel stereo and get to use all the speakers. The problem is that now when you have the same Dolby coming in on a different program you are still going to get multi channel stereo.

I can't remember which model you have but on the X4000 there is an indicator on the front panel that will display either input or output. There is also an info button on the remote that will show the input and out put signals.

The Auddessey faq probably will tell you a lot about the crossovers. The basics - Set the speakers to small. DON'T lower the crossover for the speakers but raising it is OK. Many folks use 80Hz. The sub crossover you are talking about is not a crossover in the same way as the rest. It is for LFE and should be left at 120. If you want more bass raise the sub level within the AVR.
post #4077 of 8757 Old 12-09-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

I think he was asking about doing it from the source, eg selecting zone 2 as the destination from iTunes or an iPhone, or as the PlayTo endpoint from windows. So it would just start playing in zone 2 without having to touch the receiver controls in some way. You can't do that, although you can access network features from zone 2 on the receiver side (eg using the smartphone app to fire up Pandora in zone 2).

I figured as much, but thanks a lot for the confirmation.
Quote:
Note that you can't fire up AirPlay in zone 2 directly without hijacking main zone temporarily. The entire receiver behaves as one "AirPlay speaker" so at the initiation of streaming the main zone will also flip to Airplay. But after it initiates you can then turn off main zone or turn to a different source.

Well that's interesting though. If one's goal is to start "all zones" playback for music, then it'd work. Wouldn't that be the same for UPnP / Play to though?

In other news, I managed to set up my new X4000 this weekend. Overall I'm pleased, although it's still surprising how "lateral" a move I made from the Onkyo 818 to the X4000. They are very close in terms of features but also in terms of how they work in general. I don't want to make a detailed comparative review of the two units as I had only a few hours of usage on the X4000, and I think I massively under-used the 818 in the past months.

But at first sight, I think I preferred the looks and build of the 818; although I greatly appreciated the smaller size and weight of the X4000 during set up. I should have read the manual before using the unit as it took a surprising amount of time before understanding how to change listening modes (I'm new to Denon so it took a lot of fiddling around before finding about the long-press on mode buttons).

My principal reason for the switch was for AirPlay and ease of use during UPnP playback, and the receiver fits the bill. It indeed turns on automatically when AirPlay is engaged or UPnP play to is used. Browsing my UPnP media server seems much faster and smoother on the X4000 and the Denon app than on the Onkyo. I didn't make the network stack crash yet on the Denon biggrin.gif I had a bit of trouble using BubbleUPnP, where it couldn't advance tracks in a playlist at first, but it looks like it was a temporary glitch after all. Is the X4000 supposed to support gapless playback? While the gab is smaller than on the Onkyo (3 sec pause) it's still there, unless there's an option to turn on or something. One thing I like is that the volume is correctly reflected on the BubbleUPnP app when changed on the receiver; this was not the case with the Onkyo. During setup, the network setup part actually failed (it could not connect to the test station). I decided to skip that part after a while, only to discover that network was actually working all right (got the web interface, net radio, etc.).

The Denon app... well I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, it works, and is quite responsive. On the other hand, it's a bit of a mess visually and in terms of how it's organized. It can be used to build a queue / playlist, which is super nice. But the interface for doing so is awkward to say the least (just try deleting an entry in a playlist...). I also like that you can access the whole setup menu from the web interface.

In terms of sound, I only used 3 points yet for the Audyssey calibration (it was late and I didn't want to disturb the family); also we just made our Christmas tree and it's in front of one speaker, and we had to move furniture around. I'll have to run the full 8-position measurements after Holidays anyway. Using that calibration, the sound was noticeably different than from the Onkyo (which also had XT32 but not SubEQ HT) calibrated with 8 positions. The dialogs are much clearer (not sure if it's only the center channel that is set at a higher level, or if Dialog Enhancement or Dynamic Volume is engaged by default, I'll have to check that out). Bass is noticeably reduced even with Dynamic EQ on (and yes, this is after ensuring my mains are set to small, and with the crossovers set as before). I bumped the subs level, but it looks like you can't do this with multi-channel PCM sources (the corresponding audio option submenu is grayed out). I have yet to make a frequency response measurement but I wonder how SubEQ HT did -- I never managed to quite fix my crossover-area dip with the Onkyo.

Questions though:

• Is there a way to enter a net radio station via its URL? (either from the app or the web interface)
  • I figure that all -- or perhaps most... or many? -- setup options are set for the current source? Is there a way to apply a setup option for all sources?
  • Am I alone with the back button not working on some setup submenus? In some of them I have to exit setup (using the setup menu) instead of backing up one step. This is with the latest firmware available through the net (the upgrade took 45 min but was successful).
  • Is there a way to adjust the sub levels when a source is sending multi-channel PCM?

post #4078 of 8757 Old 12-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

I have never had a problem with the back button working but you need to remember to deselect whatever you were adjusting before you can go back.
post #4079 of 8757 Old 12-09-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have never had a problem with the back button working but you need to remember to deselect whatever you were adjusting before you can go back.

Aaaah that might be it thanks tongue.gif I thought it was pretty random. That would explain everything.

post #4080 of 8757 Old 12-09-2013, 12:34 PM

I posted this in the Audyssey thread as well, I just got my X4000 in and I'm waiting for my Boom Stand to arrive. I'm reading through the FAQ in the sticky thread but I have a question about Mic placement. Since my 'main' position is the right most cushion on couch 1 and with a 2 couch L layout, I'm not sure where I should put the 8 positions. I was thinking 4 spots on each couch leaning towards the middle of the room? Attached picture of the room with the black boxes = mic positions. Any suggestions or advice? Should I cluster the positions more?

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

Thanks for any suggestions
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2309ci Receiver , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon , Denon Electronics , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Denon Avr E200 , Denon Avr E300 , Denon Avr E400 , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page