The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 139 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4141 of 8695 Old 12-12-2013, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
New owner here! Just set up my Denon AVR X2000 a week ago. Hooking up a Panny ST60, Ascend Acoustics CMB170s and 340s and a PSA XV15.

So far so good!

Quick questions:

1) - Is there a way to give specific settings to each input source? For Example: I'd like different settings for DirectTV than I do for my PS4 (specifically, dialog level)

2) - When using Audessey - does it matter what order your seating positions are in? I have seating for 6 (not 8). Assuming position 1 would be 'the best seat in the house' where would I go from there?

3) - Is it somewhat common to increase the subwoofer level (through GUI - not on the sub itself) after Audessey setup? I found that the setting given (-5db - which is accurate according to manuals) is not enough base for most applications.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 8695 Old 12-12-2013, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 1067
1) It depends on the setting. Certain settings in the Audio menu (like Audyssey settings and Restorer for example) are memorized by input source, so you can for example have Dynamic Volume off for the Blu-ray player but on for the cable box. Speaker levels (including dialogue level and subwoofer level) are memorized by surround mode, so for example you can have a different subwoofer level for STEREO vs. Dolby Digital.

2) You should check out the Audyssey 101/FAQ and other links referenced here: http://batpigworld.com/wp/?page_id=37

The specific answer to your question is here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-51779/51750#user_D

3) Yes, it is common for people to bump up their subwoofer post calibration to suit their preference. Before you do that though make sure you have bass management configured correctly -- in your case, you have an awesome sub so make sure all speakers are set to "small" with at least an 80Hz crossover so the low bass is getting redirected properly.
TJames03 likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #4143 of 8695 Old 12-12-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

1) It depends on the setting. Certain settings in the Audio menu (like Audyssey settings and Restorer for example) are memorized by input source, so you can for example have Dynamic Volume off for the Blu-ray player but on for the cable box. Speaker levels (including dialogue level and subwoofer level) are memorized by surround mode, so for example you can have a different subwoofer level for STEREO vs. Dolby Digital.

2) You should check out the Audyssey 101/FAQ and other links referenced here: http://batpigworld.com/wp/?page_id=37

The specific answer to your question is here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-51779/51750#user_D

3) Yes, it is common for people to bump up their subwoofer post calibration to suit their preference. Before you do that though make sure you have bass management configured correctly -- in your case, you have an awesome sub so make sure all speakers are set to "small" with at least an 80Hz crossover so the low bass is getting redirected properly.

Super helpful info - thanks alot!!

Yes - I spent a lot of $$ (for me anyway) on this setup (never owned anything but a cheap panasonic home theatre in a box) so I've been trying to do everything "by the book".

all speakers are set to 'small' with 60Hz crossover.

I read rave reviews about the sub - that's kinda why I'd like to 'hear' it a little bit more. smile.gif It seems to blend really nice with the speakers, but I'd like a little more thud when that building blows up in the movie or a grenade takes out a jeep in BF4.

Thanks again!
post #4144 of 8695 Old 12-12-2013, 12:30 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post

Just bought a refurbished X4000 from accessories4less. What's the consensus on refurbs? Anyone have notable experiences with them, good or bad? All I know is it comes with a 1-yr warranty...

I am also considering doing this, honestly if you are worried about it you can always buy a 3 year squaretrade warranty and still be at under $900 (squaretrade always runs some sort of coupon)

post #4145 of 8695 Old 12-12-2013, 12:40 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:

Here's to hoping mine falls into the "previous owner found it too difficult to use" bucket! lol

Or a previous AVS-er who decided to upgrade wink.gif
post #4146 of 8695 Old 12-12-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJames03 View Post

I read rave reviews about the sub - that's kinda why I'd like to 'hear' it a little bit more. smile.gif It seems to blend really nice with the speakers, but I'd like a little more thud when that building blows up in the movie or a grenade takes out a jeep in BF4.

Among other things that might improve bass:
  1. Disable Dynamic Volume if it's enabled. If enabled, this compresses the dynamic range, and dynamic range is necessary for loud thuds and booms.
  2. Disable LFC if enabled, obviously.
  3. Enable Dynamic EQ. At reference levels it does nothing but below, it significantly boosts bass (and surround levels).
  4. You can bump up sub volume (in Setup -> Audio -> Levels), but *only* if the subs are actually in use with your source. When your source is a PC sending multichannel PCM however, when you're on the desktop it typically sends stereo PCM and you can't touch the sub levels (bizarrely). When you play a movie or a game and the PC sends 5.1 or 7.1 channels, now you can play with the sub level.
  5. Sometimes the combination of Audyssey measurements can affect the bass level. Going from 8 measurements across 3 couches to 3 measurements across 1 couch, bass levels were significantly reduced. Not sure why exactly.

post #4147 of 8695 Old 12-12-2013, 03:29 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

All D&M models have the same feature in that only a single HDMI source can be passed through to the TV. If you are trying to using HDMI(ARC) as well, this will cause a problem generally so set HDMI-CEC on your TV and HDMI Control on the E300 to OFF.
Thanks. I changed those settings and I should know in the morning whether it worked or not. Reason is it only seems to happen when everything has been off for extended periods.
post #4148 of 8695 Old 12-12-2013, 03:51 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 1408
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

Among other things that might improve bass:
  1. Disable Dynamic Volume if it's enabled. If enabled, this compresses the dynamic range, and dynamic range is necessary for loud thuds and booms.
  2. Disable LFC if enabled, obviously.
  3. Enable Dynamic EQ. At reference levels it does nothing but below, it significantly boosts bass (and surround levels).
  4. You can bump up sub volume (in Setup -> Audio -> Levels), but *only* if the subs are actually in use with your source. When your source is a PC sending multichannel PCM however, when you're on the desktop it typically sends stereo PCM and you can't touch the sub levels (bizarrely). When you play a movie or a game and the PC sends 5.1 or 7.1 channels, now you can play with the sub level.
  5. Sometimes the combination of Audyssey measurements can affect the bass level. Going from 8 measurements across 3 couches to 3 measurements across 1 couch, bass levels were significantly reduced. Not sure why exactly.

2. Audyssey LFC is only featured on the X4000 and 4520CI.
4. You should be able to adjust the Subwoofer Level in STEREO mode as noted below. Try cycling the BASS - Subwoofer - LFE/LFE+MAIN setting to get it to work if not working for you.

5. Recommendation is to stick with just one couch with the first mic position at the main listening position and the remaining 5-7 within a 2'-3' radius around that #1 mic position and not where folks actually sit.
TJames03 likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4149 of 8695 Old 12-12-2013, 04:41 PM

Liked: 12
i'm having intermittent problems with onscreen volume and other graphical stuff not always showing up on my tv display. it seems to come and go. it does it with internet radio and other inputs. I still see it on the av receiver it just doesn't always show up on my tv display. Any ideas why?
post #4150 of 8695 Old 12-12-2013, 04:44 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Try doing a soft reset by powering off and unplugging the unit for 10 minutes and see if that doesn't resolve the issue. smile.gif

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #4151 of 8695 Old 12-12-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferbradbest View Post

i'm having intermittent problems with onscreen volume and other graphical stuff not always showing up on my tv display. it seems to come and go. it does it with internet radio and other inputs. I still see it on the av receiver it just doesn't always show up on my tv display. Any ideas why?
I have had that twice happen to my X4000 in the last 24 hours the info button didn't bring up any info . A soft reset did nothing I had to do a full reset. Be sure to save settings first as I lost mine
post #4152 of 8695 Old 12-12-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:

Just bought a refurbished X4000 from accessories4less. What's the consensus on refurbs? Anyone have notable experiences with them, good or bad? All I know is it comes with a 1-yr warranty...

Congratulations! I was really eyeing that same deal...seemed really good. I did call around and got pretty close to that price on new in the end w/free shipping, but that A4L deal is hard to beat! Good luck! BTW, I saw A4L raised the price yesterday morning when I was debating...but they went back down shortly thereafter. Just mentioning this as maybe the current price might not stick around if anyone is on the fence. Who knows. Hopefully this post is ok, as I did not mention specific pricing. If not, feel free to delete this post.
post #4153 of 8695 Old 12-12-2013, 06:13 PM

Is anyone using an X 4000 or current denon with an comcast xfinity X1 box? This is a pace box and I have tried all the remote codes and have been unable to get the remote to control the box.
post #4154 of 8695 Old 12-12-2013, 11:07 PM

Thank you for your reply. I used the WASAPI drivers but it didn't work and then i used AVR Audio Guard. It looks like the problem is solved, but i need some time to test it thoroughly. I will post the results as soon as i do the test.

I am sorry for my original post problem. I did not use any special formatting on purpose. I hope that this one is readable. Thank you again.

post #4155 of 8695 Old 12-13-2013, 12:24 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare-air View Post

Is anyone using an X 4000 or current denon with an comcast xfinity X1 box? This is a pace box and I have tried all the remote codes and have been unable to get the remote to control the box.

If you have tried all (5) PACE and COMCAST codes listed below and receive no other response here, you may want to ask at remotecentral.com.

post #4156 of 8695 Old 12-13-2013, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Got the Comcast remote to control my Denon 3312, but NOT vice versa; I can find that code, if that will help.

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
post #4157 of 8695 Old 12-13-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gweedz View Post

I just bought an E300 and connected it to my DVD player and VCR with RCA cables. But it has no more RCA audio inputs to connect to my CRT. Would it be OK if I use a basic RCA Y-splitter and connect it to one of the other inputs (DVD or VCR) since only one audio source should be going into the receiver at one time?

Or should I return the E300 and keep the Sony STRDH740 I also bought which was has the extra set of "TV" audio inputs and was actually $20 less?

I have it connected in 5.1.

Thanks.

Anyone have any suggestions on this? Or no love for the lowly E300? ;)

post #4158 of 8695 Old 12-13-2013, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'm a little confused by your question. Do you not even have an HDMI display? Sounds like you are using a lot of legacy gear without HD capability? In that case I would recommend just running all video to the tv and audio to the receiver, no need for splitters. I'm not even sure why you need a splitter if you are running out of analog inputs. But then again the E300 like most modern entry level units is intended for HDMI connections, it has very limited legacy connection options.

Basically, I'm a little confused by the entire post tongue.gif can you start over and take a step back and explain the specifics of your setup -- what components do you have (sources, tv) and how is everything connected?

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4159 of 8695 Old 12-13-2013, 08:05 AM

I was watching Forrest Gump over the Dish receiver, and I noticed that when voice/dialogue was played, the main speakers got 'quiet'. I think I noticed it in the center channel as well. Its like the ambient noises were muted while there was dialogue and then when the dialogue stopped the speakers ramped up. Is this a setting or a result of some sort of compression? I havnt noticed it other times, but I havnt listened either. I really didnt notice it until I was messing around near my speakers while something was playing.
post #4160 of 8695 Old 12-13-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:

I'm a little confused by your question. Do you not even have an HDMI display? Sounds like you are using a lot of legacy gear without HD capability? In that case I would recommend just running all video to the tv and audio to the receiver, no need for splitters. I'm not even sure why you need a splitter if you are running out of analog inputs. But then again the E300 like most modern entry level units is intended for HDMI connections, it has very limited legacy connection options.

Basically, I'm a little confused by the entire post tongue.gif can you start over and take a step back and explain the specifics of your setup -- what components do you have (sources, tv) and how is everything connected?

OK sorry about that... I'll clarify.

You're correct - no HDMI capability, not even the display.

I connected my DVD and VCR to the receiver (all through RCA connectors). But how can I connect my TV audio output to the receiver also as there are no free RCA ports?

Can a Y splitter somehow work to "converge" the audio from 2 sources (with only 1 operational at a time of course)?

Some non-essential background:

I agree it's strange to have this receiver in this setup, however my very small kids are familiar with using the existing DVD and VCR player and I won't feel bad if/when they break them. So I'm in no rush to get a new bluray player right now. Same with the old tube TV.  In the meantime I connect my WDTV and projector to this receiver (both through HDMI) and use it as a mini-theatre.

I figured since I already have the receiver and speakers I'd like to use them while my kids watch Dora or whatever on the TV.   

post #4161 of 8695 Old 12-13-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpad7 View Post

Thank you for your reply. I used the WASAPI drivers but it didn't work and then i used (COLOR=454434)AVR Audio Guard. It looks like the problem is solved, but i need some time to test it thoroughly. I will post the results as soon as i do the test.(/COLOR)

(COLOR=454434)I am sorry for my original post problem. I did not use any special formatting on purpose. I hope that this one is readable. Thank you again.(/COLOR)

Thanks for letting us know.

What are you using to create your posts to AVS?

This time something inserted BBcode "color" directives in your post. I've changed BBcode's square brackets to parentheses so you can see where it happened. Maybe that'll suggest what caused it. (My guess is that it's somehow related to a copy-and-paste.) In your previous post, the colors were specified using standard html.

Selden
post #4162 of 8695 Old 12-13-2013, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19

Hey guys...anyone know if the x4000 supports vertical stretch modes? I have an Epson 5300UB that does not, so I'm looking for an external source to handle that for me for cinemascope viewing.

My sub unscrews light bulbs, pops nails, and wakes up babies.
post #4163 of 8695 Old 12-13-2013, 10:23 AM

I suppose that i copied and pasted "AVR Audio Guard" from somewhere and what followed these words got the same formatting but i am not 100% sure.

This post has no copy and paste, and it has the default formatting. Let me know if it is ok. I use chrome if that helps.

As for my problem its totally solved with AVR Audio Guard. Thank you again.

post #4164 of 8695 Old 12-13-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpad7 View Post

I suppose that i copied and pasted "AVR Audio Guard" from somewhere and what followed these words got the same formatting but i am not 100% sure.

This post has no copy and paste, and it has the default formatting. Let me know if it is ok. I use chrome if that helps.

As for my problem its totally solved with AVR Audio Guard. Thank you again.

This post looked fine!

You're very welcome.

Selden
post #4165 of 8695 Old 12-13-2013, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0nestar View Post

Hey guys...anyone know if the x4000 supports vertical stretch modes? I have an Epson 5300UB that does not, so I'm looking for an external source to handle that for me for cinemascope viewing.

The X4000 doesn't have vertical stretch, but the more expensive 4520CI does.

That said, you can always offload this function to the player itself. For example I'm pretty certain every Oppo BDP can do a vertical stretch. So if your player handles it, then you can get whatever receiver meets your other needs/budget.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4166 of 8695 Old 12-13-2013, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

I connected my DVD and VCR to the receiver (all through RCA connectors). But how can I connect my TV audio output to the receiver also as there are no free RCA ports?

Can a Y splitter somehow work to "converge" the audio from 2 sources (with only 1 operational at a time of course)?

I agree it's strange to have this receiver in this setup, however my very small kids are familiar with using the existing DVD and VCR player and I won't feel bad if/when they break them. So I'm in no rush to get a new bluray player right now. Same with the old tube TV.  In the meantime I connect my WDTV and projector to this receiver (both through HDMI) and use it as a mini-theatre.

I figured since I already have the receiver and speakers I'd like to use them while my kids watch Dora or whatever on the TV.   

OK, that makes more sense, and the confusion was that you were asking about a splitter but what you really need is a way to switch (merge) INPUTS not split OUTPUT.

Here's another option -- I assume the TV can pass back the audio from any connected source through those analog RCA audio outputs? Why not connect ALL sources to the TV and then run a single audio RCA cable back to the AVR and call it a day? If you aren't doing HDMI switching, and are using analog stereo connections anyway, there is no real benefit to running the sources to the AVR first. Use the TV as your "hub" and then just pipe a single audio stream back to the AVR for processing and speaker amplification.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4167 of 8695 Old 12-13-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rage4order View Post

Thanks. I changed those settings and I should know in the morning whether it worked or not. Reason is it only seems to happen when everything has been off for extended periods.
Just want to say thanks! Your changes worked. Turned on my tv and satellite this morning and no loss of picture. smile.gif
post #4168 of 8695 Old 12-13-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:

... what you really need is a way to switch (merge) INPUTS not split OUTPUT.

Yes, would a Y "splitter" work if used in reverse: 2 inputs --> 1 output?

Quote:

Here's another option -- I assume the TV can pass back the audio from any connected source through those analog RCA audio outputs? Why not connect ALL sources to the TV and then run a single audio RCA cable back to the AVR and call it a day?

TV is an old CRT. The only inputs are coax (cable) and 1 set of composite. The only outputs are L+R audio RCA. Pretty pathetic I know. But perfect for a 3 year old :)

post #4169 of 8695 Old 12-13-2013, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I would not recommend using a "merger", there is a danger of damage or other unintended consequences. If you need to do it that way, I'd probably just get a cheap RCA switchbox from Radio Shack or the like.

Also, I know it's not necessarily ideal, but you could simply get a different receiver with more RCA inputs. If this is just a setup for little children to watch cartoons or whatever, why do you need a brand new AVR with HDMI switching and all this gadgets? You could probably find a decent older used receiver for 100 bucks that would do everything you need and will have plenty of RCA inputs.

The bottom line is that the two RCA inputs of the E300 don't seem to match up to your needs. A modern entry-level receiver is really just an HDMI switchbox with amps.
Gweedz likes this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4170 of 8695 Old 12-13-2013, 01:47 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:

Does your VCR have inputs? Then you could hook up the DVD player through the VCR and VCR to TV/receiver as you want. The downside is that you will have to always use the VCR for DVDs.
Gweedz likes this.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2309ci Receiver , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon , Denon Electronics , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Denon Avr E200 , Denon Avr E300 , Denon Avr E400 , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page