The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 145 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4321 of 8650 Old 12-21-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJames03 View Post

HELP!

I had to move some stuff around which resulted in having to unplug my Denon X2000 and input devices connected to it.

I did not disconnect any HDMI chords, literally, just unplugged power for maybe 10 minutes.

When I plugged back in - no input source recognized on my TV. The input sources to the AVR (DirectTV and PS4) pass through fine (I can hear the audio)...but seems like something going on with the HDMI from the Denon to the TV.

I can't even get to the Denon menu - because the TV does not recognize any video coming in. Did the powering off reset something I don't know about?

Suggestions?

Thanks!

I'd suggest first verifying that all of the HDMI cables are still fully seated, especially the cable between the AVR and the TV. Push on both ends. The HDMI connector doesn't latch and can easily wiggle its way out slightly but look like it's still in all the way.

Another thing to try is to do a soft-reset of the TV while the other devices are all in standby mode. Unplug the TV from power for about 10 minutes. Then turn on the TV, followed by the AVR, and finally the Blu-ray player.

Selden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4322 of 8650 Old 12-21-2013, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonpa View Post

Nice! You will have to share your experience once you get it.

Got it!!

Arrived a couple days ago. Set up this morning. Replacing AVR-3312. Looks great - sounds great so far (5 hours of play). Easy to set-up. I thought could play both front heights and surround backs at same time. So far - a no go. But reading forum and manual to see if possible.

Live in an apartment so my neighbors will appreciate Audyssey LFC (subwoofer reduction through walls) if it works. So far no pounding on walls (lol).

With ebay purchases (Viz m701 and the Denon), I saved over $1300. Off to the malls, I go . . .

PS,

As usual I will tweak everything for about a year before I get just right!!!!
post #4323 of 8650 Old 12-21-2013, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

As long as the AVR was first powered to Standby before the plug was pulled, unplugging for 10 minutes (aka "soft reset") should not have caused any loss of settings. You may want to give the HDMI reset procedure a try ...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#user_L11

Thanks, may have to try this.

The receiver was def. in standby mode before I unplugged it.
post #4324 of 8650 Old 12-21-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

I'd suggest first verifying that all of the HDMI cables are still fully seated, especially the cable between the AVR and the TV. Push on both ends. The HDMI connector doesn't latch and can easily wiggle its way out slightly but look like it's still in all the way.

Another thing to try is to do a soft-reset of the TV while the other devices are all in standby mode. Unplug the TV from power for about 10 minutes. Then turn on the TV, followed by the AVR, and finally the Blu-ray player.

Thanks.

I can confirm that all HDMI cables are fully seated. Both DirectTV and PS4 pass audio, so those seem to be connecting to the receiver just fine.

I plugged my laptop in the HDMI port on the TV (to rule that out) and the TV processes it fine. I've also tried a different HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV, still no luck.

Through process of elimination it really feels like the reciever is just not passing video to the TV.... may try the HDMI reset next...frown.gif

PS - The Denon is about 2 weeks old as well as the TV.
post #4325 of 8650 Old 12-21-2013, 01:19 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrazie88 View Post

Got it!!

Arrived a couple days ago. Set up this morning. Replacing AVR-3312. Looks great - sounds great so far (5 hours of play). Easy to set-up. I thought could play both front heights and surround backs at same time. So far - a no go. But reading forum and manual to see if possible.

Live in an apartment so my neighbors will appreciate Audyssey LFC (subwoofer reduction through walls) if it works. So far no pounding on walls (lol).

With ebay purchases (Viz m701 and the Denon), I saved over $1300. Off to the malls, I go . . .

PS,

As usual I will tweak everything for about a year before I get just right!!!!

It's a 7CH AVR ... so you have the option of a 5.1 setup plus either Surround Backs OR Front Height. To include both, you would need to add a 2CH external amp or old AVR

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4326 of 8650 Old 12-21-2013, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

It's a 7CH AVR ... so you have the option of a 5.1 setup plus either Surround Backs OR Front Height. To include both, you would need to add a 2CH external amp or old AVR

Got it - thanks.

Guess, I could use the old one if I can conceal it from view.

Thanks for the quick response.
post #4327 of 8650 Old 12-21-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:

As long as the AVR was first powered to Standby before the plug was pulled, unplugging for 10 minutes (aka "soft reset") should not have caused any loss of settings. You may want to give the HDMI reset procedure a try ...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#user_L11

Gave this a try.. no luck. frown.gif

Could just unplugging and then plugging back in really cause something to go bad? This is extremely frustrating since the Denon is so new, not to mention spending good money on it.

Maybe next step is the microprocessor reset? I don't care so much about losing all of my settings as I've only had it for a few weeks and it wasn't fully calibrated to begin with.

Any help is MUCH appreciated.
post #4328 of 8650 Old 12-21-2013, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

I suspect the limitation is that some models of TVs can't do "bitstreaming". They can only handle audio formats for which they're willing to pay the decoder license fees on that model of TV. Of the 3 formats supported by TosLink, they would be able to handle either 2 channel PCM or lossy multi-channel Dolby Digital (aka AC3) but wouldn't be able to do anything with lossy multichannel DTS. Dolby has to be supported because that's what broadcast and cable TV stations use for their multichannel soundtracks. Supposedly a few high-end TV models now handle DTS because that's used by some of the streaming network services that they provide access to.

Sounds plausible to me. Thank you for that excellent elucidation! smile.gif
post #4329 of 8650 Old 12-21-2013, 03:32 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJames03 View Post

Gave this a try.. no luck. frown.gif

Could just unplugging and then plugging back in really cause something to go bad? This is extremely frustrating since the Denon is so new, not to mention spending good money on it.

Maybe next step is the microprocessor reset? I don't care so much about losing all of my settings as I've only had it for a few weeks and it wasn't fully calibrated to begin with.

Any help is MUCH appreciated.

Yup. Microprocessor reset.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #4330 of 8650 Old 12-21-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:

Yup. Microprocessor reset.

Tried it (twice) without any luck.

I will say the owners manual is a little bit confusing as it tells you to hold the power and the Tune - and Tune + buttons simultaneously... then when you see the display start to flash at 1 second intervals let go of the TWO buttons (when you are actually holding down THREE buttons).

Anyway, I'm in the middle of a firmware update right now...although I don't have high hopes.

Not that anybody cares, but I've spent the last 3 months (along with thousands of $$s) building my basement around this entertainment space... and just finished a week ago. We are having a ton of family here from out of state to celebrate the holiday's and new basement. This couldn't have happened at a worse time... mad.gif

Thanks for the suggestions jdsmoothie - if you have any others, please let me know!
post #4331 of 8650 Old 12-21-2013, 06:14 PM

UPDATE:

Disconnected the AVR from everything and brought it to the room with my router so I could do the latest firmware update.

Update took about 45minutes...and afterwards...voila! I have video out again.

Thanks again for the suggestions / help...now time to run Audyssey and set things back up!
post #4332 of 8650 Old 12-21-2013, 08:45 PM

Very disappointed with the Dolby digital plus output that I'm getting from this receiver (e300) while playing Netflix from my bluray player. Sounds horrid. Looking for a replacement now. frown.gif
post #4333 of 8650 Old 12-21-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasntme View Post

Very disappointed with the Dolby digital plus output that I'm getting from this receiver (e300) while playing Netflix from my bluray player. Sounds horrid. Looking for a replacement now. frown.gif

Might want to check this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1492916/dolby-digital-plus-and-netflix-on-various-denon-receivers/0_50
post #4334 of 8650 Old 12-22-2013, 02:39 AM

^

post #4335 of 8650 Old 12-22-2013, 02:40 AM

Quote:

^^
It is standard procedure for the unit to go to Standby mode during a firmware update. Please review posts #3-6 of this thread for more info, where post #6 of this thread specifically addresses firmware updates. I tried the HDMI Control with a BDP and DVR with no audio dropouts from either.

That's good, so you don't think it did any harm when the projector sent the power off signal via HDMI control while the Denon was downloading the update.

Regarding the HDMI control issue that I have of audio drops every 2 minutes, do you think I should replace the unit or I should try this (stated in the first page of the thread)? k. HDMI Handshake Issues (audio/video dropouts): Handshake issues will most often present as "audio dropouts" or sometimes video display issues. Ensure the source device having the issue has the latest firmware installed and has been reset (ie. powered down, unplugged for a few minutes, then powered back ON again). For a more detailed HDMI reset try the following procedure ....

The thing is that this audio dropout happens also when listening to internet radio from the X4000 itself (only when HDMI control is on)...

post #4336 of 8650 Old 12-22-2013, 04:32 AM
585-645-1006

^^
HDMI handshake issues are quite common (although mostly with cable/sat boxes). so your options are to either try the work around steps or replace one or more of the devices in the HDMI chain. Audio dropouts from a network source are generally attributed to a weak WiFi connection (if not wired directly), however, if what presents is the same drop out every 2 minutes, more likely an issue with the AVR itself. If a network reset (post #5) doesn't resolve the issue, you may want ton consider returning the unit.

post #4337 of 8650 Old 12-22-2013, 08:03 AM

Just purchased an E300.  Have had it a few days, everything seemed to work fine.  Now the surround left speaker isn't working.  Tested the speaker, speaker is ok.  Looked at the speaker cable, it is ok.  Is this unit defective?

post #4338 of 8650 Old 12-22-2013, 08:11 AM
585-645-1006

You tried swapping the FL and the SL speaker wires and there was sound from the SL speaker? Is a test tone sent to the SL speaker when connected to the SL speaker post? Is the speaker wired confirmed to be in place at both ends?

post #4339 of 8650 Old 12-22-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Just took the recent firmware upgrade for my X-2000. Everything seems to be in order.

One suggestion: it would be really nice to see Apple Lossless (ALAC) compatibility for files sampled above 96 khz. There's FLAC compatibility up to 192khz, there should be ALAC too (and AIFF) for that matter).

Rick
post #4340 of 8650 Old 12-22-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:

You tried swapping the FL and the SL speaker wires and there was sound from the SL speaker? Is a test tone sent to the SL speaker when connected to the SL speaker post? Is the speaker wired confirmed to be in place at both ends?

I tried the test tones for all speakers.  The SL didn't have any test tone.  I hooked up the SL speaker to the SR speaker cable, and the speaker worked with test tone.  I examined the speaker cable, it looked fine.  (12 gauge).  Tried resetting the microprocessor, this didn't have any effect. 

I didn't swap the FL and SL speaker wires as I didn't think that would tell me anything. (Do I really need to do that?)   I tried it again and hooked up the wiring from the receiver back to the SL speaker, still no tone.  Strange.

It seems like a simple problem.  The only conclusion I can come to is that it is a defect of some sort.  Or that the test tone for the SL is defective somehow?

The reason I noticed this in the first place, is that I was watching Ironman III, and there is a scene were pigeons or seagulls fly off..and I heard them on the SR, but not anything on the SL.

post #4341 of 8650 Old 12-22-2013, 08:25 AM
585-645-1006

The point is to swap out the SL speaker with another speaker that is working to confirm the issue lies with the AVR and not the speaker. Try a few more microprocessor resets in succession and if that doesn't resolve the issue, exchange it. One of the benefits of using the Audyssey speaker/sub calibration feature is to catch issues like this.

post #4342 of 8650 Old 12-22-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:

The point is to swap out the SL speaker with another speaker that is working to confirm the issue lies with the AVR and not the speaker. Try a few more microprocessor resets in succession and if that doesn't resolve the issue, exchange it. One of the benefits of using the Audyssey speaker/sub calibration feature is to catch issues like this.

Yeah, I used the Audyssey cal procedure several times, and it worked fine each time I tried it.  I'll try a few more resets, then I guess send it back to amazon.com if it doesn't work.  Kind of a bummer.

post #4343 of 8650 Old 12-22-2013, 09:00 AM

Forgot to thank you for your responses jdsmoothie.  Happy Holidays. :) 

post #4344 of 8650 Old 12-22-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by work permit View Post

Has anyone used the airplay function on the X4000? I'm having a problem with it. I'm able to select the denon from my ipad, and stream music to it. But after I do so, the front panel controls on the AVR are frozen. I'm unable to switch inputs or even power it down. The only solution I found was to unplug the receiver.

What am I doing wrong?

Has anyone used apple's airplay with the X4000?

Alex
post #4345 of 8650 Old 12-22-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 451
I have
work permit likes this.

Panasonic 65VT30 | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XSP-1 | Emotiva DC-1 | PSB imagine B's |PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp
my HT gallery: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?u=240707

post #4346 of 8650 Old 12-22-2013, 09:44 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

When I stream music via Airplay the track title appears on the X4000's display. Seems to work okay for me...
work permit likes this.
post #4347 of 8650 Old 12-22-2013, 12:27 PM

Boy, my head is spinning with ARC and HDMI Control. Thanks to all in this forum who understand technology and help fools like me. So. . .

About 9 months of house building and home theater setup finally came to a conclusion when we closed on our new house last Friday. Already had purchased the X4000 and was using it at our temporary residence via ARC through a Panasonic Viera plasma with zero problems. Got to the new house, the new Samsung F5800 plasma arrives and I figured it would be as simple as plugging the HDMI into ARC and into the F5800 ARC input and well, is sure wasn't and sure didn't work like it did for month with the Panasonic plasma. I was getting video and audio dropouts at differing intervals, sometimes no audio but video, but mostly audio and video just dropped out for a couple seconds and came back on. I tried 4 different HDMI cords I had, including starting with the one that worked with the Panasonic well before but no luck. Sometimes the Blueray would drop out, but not nears as often as the cable box which is a Cisco 8742HDC DVR from Brighthouse. Tried to follow what many were saying recently about HDMI control and understood about 33% of it. The Denon manual said if you use ARC to turn HDMI control on so I did, but no change. Thought about going and trying some expensive HDMI cable or even returning the X4000 but have taken a step back. It's just ironic how I calmly built and entire semi-custom house, installed my own whole house audio from HTD, etc., etc. and one little ARC connection has me going NUTS.

Anyway, based on the fact that many of you said above ARC and HDMI is just a pain, I decided to try not using ARC and using an HDMI cable and optical cable. Finally, no dropouts! Then, I tried Instaprevue (which I assumed incorrectly you needed ARC for) and it still worked. So I'm sitting here thinking to myself the following and asking myself and you all these questions:

(1) What is the benefit of ARC? Is it just so there is one HDMI cable from from the TV instead of an extra optical cable?
(2) What is the benefit of HDMI control?
(3) I'm not sure if this had to do with not using ARC, but since I disconnected it I can now use my Samsung remote's voice control and tell the TV to change the cable boxes channels, etc.
(4) Maybe I should get one of these Harmony remotes everyone is talking about? I used to have an MX-500 a few years ago so I've had universal remotes.
(5) Can anyone tell me which Harmony they would recommend and the benefits it provides?

I'm so worn out from the last couple days of ARC or HDMI confusion, or whatever was dropping the audio and video ever few seconds to every 5 minutes. It felt like when I used to play golf and I'd think to myself I paid all this money for nice PING golf clubs and to play on this course and damn golf is frustrating - with this awesome X4000, beautiful video from the F5800 and great sounding system in the new house, I felt just frustrated rather then felt like I was enjoying it. Boy, to be a little more technically handy or knowledgeable would be wonderful.

Thanks to anyone who has any suggestions or take the time to answer any of the questions I posed above. For now, that optical cable is staying put and I'm not touching that ARC input!
post #4348 of 8650 Old 12-22-2013, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
Quote:

No. These receivers have been out for months, zillions of people use iTunes and iDevices, over 4000 posts in this thread, and obviously not a single person had used airplay.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #4349 of 8650 Old 12-22-2013, 12:34 PM
585-645-1006

@lawtyger -

The purpose of HDMI(ARC) is to pass the audio from a TV app (eg. Neflix) back to the AVR via the same cable that is connecting the AVR to the TV, however as noted below .. it has its limitations ...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#user_E4

The purpose of HDMI Control is to a allow all the HDMI devices in the chain to be controlled ON/OFF, but again, this doesn't always work. Although formerly required for the HDMI Standby Pass Through feature to work, there is now a separate setting for this feature so HDMI Control is no longer required.

post #4350 of 8650 Old 12-22-2013, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
HDMI Control (CEC) is really useful for a simple setup especially with devices from the same manufacturer. For example if you have a Samsung blue ray player and tv, it allows the same remote to control both devices and link power and automatically sense and switch inputs. But with a more complicated setup with different devices hooked up to a receiver it starts to hit a wall, it's simply not very easily configurable and often doesn't do what you would hope it does.

Thus with a more complex setup it is better to leave the auto function of HDMI CEC disabled and use a good programmable universal. Harmony or URC or whatever, doesn't really matter, but a good universal can be programmed to switch each device to the correct input and give you much more sophisticated and customized control.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2309ci Receiver , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon , Denon Electronics , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Denon Avr E200 , Denon Avr E300 , Denon Avr E400 , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page