The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 184 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5491 of 8411 Old 02-11-2014, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
neutro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by krips View Post

To get the Dolby and DTS Neo for the DVD you are playing, you don't need to set PS3 to PCM, rather set it to Bitstream. Now when you play a DVD or any other source that doesn't have multi-channel audio, if you hold 'Movie' 'Music' or 'Game' for few seconds you'll see the other options like DTS Neo, Dolby PL II etc.

Just a caveat though. If the PS3 is one of the older, "fat" versions, the HDMI board cannot bitstream DTS Master Audio nor Dolby TrueHD. So if you want to get DTS-MA or TrueHD sound, you actually *have* to set the fat PS3 to PCM, as it is able to decode the formats and send the decoded stream as PCM on the HDMI link. The AVR then displays MULTI CH IN.

neutro is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5492 of 8411 Old 02-11-2014, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
retro124's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 799
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Correct. The X4000 can power up to 7CH and if you add an external 2CH amp you can connect up to 9 speakers in the main zone. As noted in the image below, you have the option of powering 1 of 4 different sets of speakers.



If powering the Front (FL/FR) speakers you'll likely want a 200W+ amp, while if powering any of the remaining sets of speakers a 50W amp like the one below should be plenty. Connect the amp to the speaker pre-outs for the set you select and run Audyssey again to EQ the new speakers.

http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6

Thanks, so do you think Emotiva xpa-3 will be ok for my front RF-82II and RC-62II because they are 150W and Emotiva is 3x200W. Do I need to be worry about demage speakers?

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-82II's , RC-62II , RS-52II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
PS3,Mac mini
Sony KDF-60XS955
retro124 is offline  
post #5493 of 8411 Old 02-11-2014, 08:15 AM
Member
 
tpyke's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. I have a slight problem with my X3000's setup....
I have a 5.1 setup for zone 1 and an amp hooked up to the zone 2 RCA outputs. I have a TV and a PS3 hooked up with HDMI. I can get the PS3's sound to come out of Zone1 and 2, but the TV only comes out of Zone 1. The sound from the TV is brought to the X3000 through the HDMI ARC.
Is there a setting I need to change to get the TV's sound to the Zone 2 speakers?
tpyke is offline  
post #5494 of 8411 Old 02-11-2014, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 23,887
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Correct. The X4000 can power up to 7CH and if you add an external 2CH amp you can connect up to 9 speakers in the main zone. As noted in the image below, you have the option of powering 1 of 4 different sets of speakers.



If powering the Front (FL/FR) speakers you'll likely want a 200W+ amp, while if powering any of the remaining sets of speakers a 50W amp like the one below should be plenty. Connect the amp to the speaker pre-outs for the set you select and run Audyssey again to EQ the new speakers.

http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6

Thanks, so do you think Emotiva xpa-3 will be ok for my front RF-82II and RC-62II because they are 150W and Emotiva is 3x200W. Do I need to be worry about demage speakers?

It doesn't work like that. You are unlikely to ever use anything close to 200 watts. Not with super efficient Klipsch speakers.

The speaker rating is just a recommended maximum continuous power that it can handle before you risk damage. A 200w amp doesn't out out 200w at all times, you draw what you need which in most cases is 10 watts or less.

It's like the speed rating on a tire -- if you put a tire rated to 130mph on a Porsche that can go 170mph, the tire isn't going to blow up when you are cruising at 65mph. In the real world you aren't likely to ever test the theoretical limits.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
batpig is online now  
post #5495 of 8411 Old 02-11-2014, 09:07 AM
Member
 
Randy Ta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Gainesville, Virginia
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

Just a caveat though. If the PS3 is one of the older, "fat" versions, the HDMI board cannot bitstream DTS Master Audio nor Dolby TrueHD. So if you want to get DTS-MA or TrueHD sound, you actually *have* to set the fat PS3 to PCM, as it is able to decode the formats and send the decoded stream as PCM on the HDMI link. The AVR then displays MULTI CH IN.

I have the older "FAT" PS3 so that is why I have it set to PCM.

Thanks
Randy Ta is offline  
post #5496 of 8411 Old 02-11-2014, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
retro124's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 799
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post


It doesn't work like that. You are unlikely to ever use anything close to 200 watts. Not with super efficient Klipsch speakers.

The speaker rating is just a recommended maximum continuous power that it can handle before you risk damage. A 200w amp doesn't out out 200w at all times, you draw what you need which in most cases is 10 watts or less.

It's like the speed rating on a tire -- if you put a tire rated to 130mph on a Porsche that can go 170mph, the tire isn't going to blow up when you are cruising at 65mph. In the real world you aren't likely to ever test the theoretical limits.

OH ok thanks for explaining so what to use for front speakers and center to run them the best they can do and be able use receiver for rest to end up having 9.2 set up?


Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-82II's , RC-62II , RS-52II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
PS3,Mac mini
Sony KDF-60XS955
retro124 is offline  
post #5497 of 8411 Old 02-11-2014, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 23,887
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 975
The Emo would work great, it's a very popular option. I wasn't trying to tell you not to get it, just that if you do get it you don't have to worry about damaging anything.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
batpig is online now  
post #5498 of 8411 Old 02-11-2014, 10:00 AM
Member
 
Happy Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Purchased and set up new X-4000 a few days ago and have figured most of it out, but have a question about how to playback FLAC 24/96 files over the network.

 

By way of background, it is hooked up to a LAN with a PC that has both iTunes with latest updates and Windows Media Player vers.11.0.5721.5280. I also have Apple TV. My music library is rather large with approx 60,000 songs, most are MP3 and AAC format.  I have started collecting some High Res FLAC just to get my feet wet with the new format and test for improvement in SQ.

 

There is no problem accessing MP3 and AAC files with airplay or Apple TV.  (in fact, Apple TV UI is fastest and most flexible to access music files, best UI of all current options)  I have also been able to access most files through network, seems like it is using Widows Media Player to access files on PC.  This methods seems much slower and difficult to use compared to Apple TV. 

 

What I have not been able to do so far is find and play my FLAC files using the Media Server function found on the Network input of the X-4000.  I have the library of both players (WMP and iTunes) pointed to the folder that contains these files.  Is this because neither player supports the FLAC format?  Is there another player that could be downloaded to my PC that would play FLAC files on my computer and pass them through the LAN to the X-4000?

 

I have played FLAC 24/96 files on X-4000 using a thumb drive connected to the USB port, they sounded great.  As collection grows, this will not be the most practical method and would like to use the LAN if possible.

 

Also, I wanted to thank the regular contributors to this forum for ongoing great advise and comments.  Your input helped me decide to purchase this unit and provided great insight that has helped with set up, use and enjoyment of this product.

Happy Tom is offline  
post #5499 of 8411 Old 02-11-2014, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
retro124's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 799
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

The Emo would work great, it's a very popular option. I wasn't trying to tell you not to get it, just that if you do get it you don't have to worry about damaging anything.

Oh ok so do you think is better to get Emotiva 5x200W or 3x200W will be good? And maybe dumb question how to connect emotiva to Denon receiver?


Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-82II's , RC-62II , RS-52II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
PS3,Mac mini
Sony KDF-60XS955
retro124 is offline  
post #5500 of 8411 Old 02-11-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,749
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Go to blue jeans cable and get some LC-1 analog cables made to your required lengths to go from the preout rca connections on the denon to the rca connections on the amp. Then go to radio shack and get a male to male mono cable for the 12v trigger.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102950

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #5501 of 8411 Old 02-11-2014, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 23,887
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Tom View Post

Purchased and set up new X-4000 a few days ago and have figured most of it out, but have a question about how to playback FLAC 24/96 files over the network.

By way of background, it is hooked up to a LAN with a PC that has both iTunes with latest updates and Windows Media Player vers.11.0.5721.5280. I also have Apple TV. My music library is rather large with approx 60,000 songs, most are MP3 and AAC format.  I have started collecting some High Res FLAC just to get my feet wet with the new format and test for improvement in SQ.

There is no problem accessing MP3 and AAC files with airplay or Apple TV.  (in fact, Apple TV UI is fastest and most flexible to access music files, best UI of all current options)  I have also been able to access most files through network, seems like it is using Widows Media Player to access files on PC.  This methods seems much slower and difficult to use compared to Apple TV. 

What I have not been able to do so far is find and play my FLAC files using the Media Server function found on the Network input of the X-4000.  I have the library of both players (WMP and iTunes) pointed to the folder that contains these files.  Is this because neither player supports the FLAC format?  Is there another player that could be downloaded to my PC that would play FLAC files on my computer and pass them through the LAN to the X-4000?

I have played FLAC 24/96 files on X-4000 using a thumb drive connected to the USB port, they sounded great.  As collection grows, this will not be the most practical method and would like to use the LAN if possible.

Also, I wanted to thank the regular contributors to this forum for ongoing great advise and comments.  Your input helped me decide to purchase this unit and provided great insight that has helped with set up, use and enjoyment of this product.

Since you like the ATV interface (as you should) why not convert FLAC to ALAC and then just use iTunes for everything? Makes it simpler, all your music is in one place, and you get the everything works closed ecosystem of Apple / Airplay
ambesolman likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
batpig is online now  
post #5502 of 8411 Old 02-11-2014, 11:10 AM
Senior Member
 
maynerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Bellevue, WA, USA
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Do you care more about features or sound quality? The X1000 has MultEQ XT vs. the rudimentary 2EQ in the Onkyo, which doesn't even EQ the sub. If you just want more features, go with the Onk. If you want superior sound quality and don't need to go beyond 5 channels, then get the X1000.

Thanks for the info.

So...anyone wanna buy an Onkyo? LOL
maynerd is offline  
post #5503 of 8411 Old 02-11-2014, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
retro124's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 799
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Go to blue jeans cable and get some LC-1 analog cables made to your required lengths to go from the preout rca connections on the denon to the rca connections on the amp. Then go to radio shack and get a male to male mono cable for the 12v trigger.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102950

ok so I will need for Emotiva 3x200W 3 LC-1 wires and go from denon precut L/R front and center and then go on Emotiva to unbalanced inputs correct? Sorry i have no experience with it. :)  and 12V trigger is for turn on emotiva with receiver right?


Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-82II's , RC-62II , RS-52II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
PS3,Mac mini
Sony KDF-60XS955
retro124 is offline  
post #5504 of 8411 Old 02-11-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,749
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Yepp.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #5505 of 8411 Old 02-11-2014, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
retro124's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 799
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Yepp.

Thanks for help man. I'm thinking to get first generation of Emotiva xpa-3 from used market will see how much they are or maybe new one second generation from Emotiva web. Just need to find out what is different between them.


Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-82II's , RC-62II , RS-52II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
PS3,Mac mini
Sony KDF-60XS955
retro124 is offline  
post #5506 of 8411 Old 02-11-2014, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
jnnt29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post

Thanks, so do you think Emotiva xpa-3 will be ok for my front RF-82II and RC-62II because they are 150W and Emotiva is 3x200W. Do I need to be worry about demage speakers?

The XPA-3 is what I use with my X4000 with no issues.
jnnt29 is offline  
post #5507 of 8411 Old 02-11-2014, 01:40 PM
Member
 
Randy Ta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Gainesville, Virginia
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

Just a caveat though. If the PS3 is one of the older, "fat" versions, the HDMI board cannot bitstream DTS Master Audio nor Dolby TrueHD. So if you want to get DTS-MA or TrueHD sound, you actually *have* to set the fat PS3 to PCM, as it is able to decode the formats and send the decoded stream as PCM on the HDMI link. The AVR then displays MULTI CH IN.

I changed my PS3 back to bitstream but on a standard DVD that is Dolby, I still only get stereo. Holding movie on the remote gives me options to play stereo thru all speakers but not Dolby. I have played a DVD that is DTS and that shows up and seems to work fine. Dolby used to work fine on my 3808.

Thanks for your help.
Randy Ta is offline  
post #5508 of 8411 Old 02-11-2014, 01:43 PM
Member
 
Happy Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post


Since you like the ATV interface (as you should) why not convert FLAC to ALAC and then just use iTunes for everything? Makes it simpler, all your music is in one place, and you get the everything works closed ecosystem of Apple / Airplay


There is a blinding flash of the obvious.  Can you recommend a program to do so?

Happy Tom is offline  
post #5509 of 8411 Old 02-11-2014, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 23,887
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Ta View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

Just a caveat though. If the PS3 is one of the older, "fat" versions, the HDMI board cannot bitstream DTS Master Audio nor Dolby TrueHD. So if you want to get DTS-MA or TrueHD sound, you actually *have* to set the fat PS3 to PCM, as it is able to decode the formats and send the decoded stream as PCM on the HDMI link. The AVR then displays MULTI CH IN.

I changed my PS3 back to bitstream but on a standard DVD that is Dolby, I still only get stereo. Holding movie on the remote gives me options to play stereo thru all speakers but not Dolby. I have played a DVD that is DTS and that shows up and seems to work fine. Dolby used to work fine on my 3808.

Thanks for your help.

The receiver can't control the source. If it's getting a stereo input, that's what it's getting. Holding down the MOVIE button can change modes to matrix stereo to 5.1 (using Pro Logic or the like) but it won't change the INPUT SIGNAL itself. That can only be controlled by the source device itself -- so in other words, look upstread at the PS3 settings.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
batpig is online now  
post #5510 of 8411 Old 02-11-2014, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 23,887
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Tom View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Since you like the ATV interface (as you should) why not convert FLAC to ALAC and then just use iTunes for everything? Makes it simpler, all your music is in one place, and you get the everything works closed ecosystem of Apple / Airplay


There is a blinding flash of the obvious.  Can you recommend a program to do so?


I've never done it personally, but this link will be both snarky and helpful: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=convert+flac+to+apple+lossless
D Bone and ambesolman like this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
batpig is online now  
post #5511 of 8411 Old 02-11-2014, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
retro124's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 799
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnt29 View Post


The XPA-3 is what I use with my X4000 with no issues.

I was just worry about damage speakers but looks like it will be just fine, thanks for your answer. Can you listen different when you have your HT with and without Emotiva?


Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-82II's , RC-62II , RS-52II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
PS3,Mac mini
Sony KDF-60XS955
retro124 is offline  
post #5512 of 8411 Old 02-11-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 6,464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnt29 View Post

The XPA-3 is what I use with my X4000 with no issues.
I was just worry about damage speakers but looks like it will be just fine, thanks for your answer. Can you listen different when you have your HT with and without Emotiva?

Don't forget, though, that the amps in your new receiver will work fine, too. External amps are only needed when the amps in the receiver are inadequate. This is more often the case for inefficient speakers, not for Klipsch speakers. But an external amp will work fine, too.

Whenever you change your room/speaker/amp configuration, you need to run Audyssey again. After you've run the calibration for the new configuration, the same volume control settings will produce the same sound levels as you heard before at your primary listening position, which is the first microphone position.

Selden
Selden Ball is offline  
post #5513 of 8411 Old 02-11-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
neutro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Ta View Post

I changed my PS3 back to bitstream but on a standard DVD that is Dolby, I still only get stereo. Holding movie on the remote gives me options to play stereo thru all speakers but not Dolby. I have played a DVD that is DTS and that shows up and seems to work fine. Dolby used to work fine on my 3808.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

The receiver can't control the source. If it's getting a stereo input, that's what it's getting. Holding down the MOVIE button can change modes to matrix stereo to 5.1 (using Pro Logic or the like) but it won't change the INPUT SIGNAL itself. That can only be controlled by the source device itself -- so in other words, look upstread at the PS3 settings.

Indeed -- I suspect you should browse the audio parameters on the PS3 and set it to deal with all multichannel formats. I don't remember the details but it looks like your PS3 currently only outputs stereo. You can easily check what the AVR receives with the info button on the remote.

neutro is offline  
post #5514 of 8411 Old 02-11-2014, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
retro124's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 799
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post


Don't forget, though, that the amps in your new receiver will work fine, too. External amps are only needed when the amps in the receiver are inadequate. This is more often the case for inefficient speakers, not for Klipsch speakers. But an external amp will work fine, too.

Whenever you change your room/speaker/amp configuration, you need to run Audyssey again. After you've run the calibration for the new configuration, the same volume control settings will produce the same sound levels as you heard before at your primary listening position, which is the first microphone position.

Ok, reason why i want that is I'm thinking to do 9.2 set up so I need extra amps for some speakers I just don't know if do front 3 and buy ore expensive amps or do just surrounds and buy cheaper one.


Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-82II's , RC-62II , RS-52II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
PS3,Mac mini
Sony KDF-60XS955
retro124 is offline  
post #5515 of 8411 Old 02-11-2014, 03:54 PM
Member
 
Randy Ta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Gainesville, Virginia
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post


Indeed -- I suspect you should browse the audio parameters on the PS3 and set it to deal with all multichannel formats. I don't remember the details but it looks like your PS3 currently only outputs stereo. You can easily check what the AVR receives with the info button on the remote.

Thanks for all your help guys. Problem solved and not equipment. The two Standard DVD's that I was using to test with listed audio options as Dolby or Surround 5.1. I thought that the first one listed was always the default and produced the best audio so I have been trying to get it to produce 5.1 Dolby Surround. I just tried the Surround 5.1 option and Dolby shows up in the AVR window. Not what I was expecting but it works and produces Dolby 5.1 Surround audio. At least now I have a better understanding how things work. and maybe not as sure of what I used to do.

Thanks again for your help.

Randy
Randy Ta is offline  
post #5516 of 8411 Old 02-11-2014, 03:55 PM
Member
 
krips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Tom View Post

Purchased and set up new X-4000 a few days ago and have figured most of it out, but have a question about how to playback FLAC 24/96 files over the network.

By way of background, it is hooked up to a LAN with a PC that has both iTunes with latest updates and Windows Media Player vers.11.0.5721.5280. I also have Apple TV. My music library is rather large with approx 60,000 songs, most are MP3 and AAC format.  I have started collecting some High Res FLAC just to get my feet wet with the new format and test for improvement in SQ.

There is no problem accessing MP3 and AAC files with airplay or Apple TV.  (in fact, Apple TV UI is fastest and most flexible to access music files, best UI of all current options)  I have also been able to access most files through network, seems like it is using Widows Media Player to access files on PC.  This methods seems much slower and difficult to use compared to Apple TV. 

What I have not been able to do so far is find and play my FLAC files using the Media Server function found on the Network input of the X-4000.  I have the library of both players (WMP and iTunes) pointed to the folder that contains these files.  Is this because neither player supports the FLAC format?  Is there another player that could be downloaded to my PC that would play FLAC files on my computer and pass them through the LAN to the X-4000?

I have played FLAC 24/96 files on X-4000 using a thumb drive connected to the USB port, they sounded great.  As collection grows, this will not be the most practical method and would like to use the LAN if possible.

Also, I wanted to thank the regular contributors to this forum for ongoing great advise and comments.  Your input helped me decide to purchase this unit and provided great insight that has helped with set up, use and enjoyment of this product.

Install the open codecs from http://xiph.org/dshow/
I too was having the same issue. I could play FLAC from my Nexus 5 using Bubblesoft UnPN, but won't from WMP. Finally did a search and found the solution. Also, for more detailed instructions and other functionality read the instructions from this website: http://www.codeemporium.com/2009/11/26/convincing-flac-files-to-play-in-windows-media-player-12/

Enjoy wink.gif

XBR55HX929 / AVR X4000
PS3 Slim / BDP-S6200
Roku 3 / WD TV Live /Chromecast
DT PM1000 / PC2000
DVP5000
krips is online now  
post #5517 of 8411 Old 02-11-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 6,464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Don't forget, though, that the amps in your new receiver will work fine, too. External amps are only needed when the amps in the receiver are inadequate. This is more often the case for inefficient speakers, not for Klipsch speakers. But an external amp will work fine, too.


Whenever you change your room/speaker/amp configuration, you need to run Audyssey again. After you've run the calibration for the new configuration, the same volume control settings will produce the same sound levels as you heard before at your primary listening position, which is the first microphone position.
Ok, reason why i want that is I'm thinking to do 9.2 set up so I need extra amps for some speakers I just don't know if do front 3 and buy ore expensive amps or do just surrounds and buy cheaper one.
My personal recommendation is to just get the amps needed for the surround channels. While additional amps for the fronts probably won't hurt, they won't produce any better sound. I write "probably" because some models of Emotive amps have very high gain. When those amps are used with highly efficient Klipsch speakers, people have found that the total gain is more than Audyssey can cope with. When that happens, attenuators have to be inserted between the AVR and the amps to bring the signal down to a level that can be calibrated.

Selden
Selden Ball is offline  
post #5518 of 8411 Old 02-11-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,749
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 284
I've found the SQ from my outlaw amp with my speakers sound great, especially when I have it cranked, but Outlaw is a tad bit pricier than emotiva. I did read about the gain thing.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #5519 of 8411 Old 02-11-2014, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
jnnt29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Don't forget, though, that the amps in your new receiver will work fine, too. External amps are only needed when the amps in the receiver are inadequate. This is more often the case for inefficient speakers, not for Klipsch speakers. But an external amp will work fine, too.

Whenever you change your room/speaker/amp configuration, you need to run Audyssey again. After you've run the calibration for the new configuration, the same volume control settings will produce the same sound levels as you heard before at your primary listening position, which is the first microphone position.

I purchased the amp when I had my 4310 and it is for future expansion of my system. I will not say it sounds better or worse with the amp, but I do like it.
jnnt29 is offline  
post #5520 of 8411 Old 02-11-2014, 05:51 PM
Member
 
BombaytheGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15

E300 - Troubleshooting help needed

 

Owner of an open box E300.  I can't say that it was not powered on, but I am pretty certain that the remote, mic, antennas, and manual were not opened.

 

What I am trying to accomplish:  Run my tv audio to the E300.  The TV is a LG 42LA6200 receiving a broadcast signal (via rabbit ears antenna).

Connection:  HDMI (arc) from the TV to HDMI (arc) on the E300.  No other connections.

Issue:  Unable to receive TV audio thru the E300.

 

Before I go into settings, I will mention a few things that I have tried and then see if anyone has a "simple" answer.  If not, I can walk thru settings.

 

Since I was unable to receive audio from the TV, I decided to do a few things:

- walked thru the setup settings to see if the E300 would auto-correct or configure for me.  Ran Audyssey and heard tones thru the speakers, etc.

- Hooked up FM antenna to E300 and tuned to a channel to ensure I could get sound thru the speakers. I could.

- connected my BD player to the E300 BD HDMI input and then HDMI (arc) Out to TV HDMI (arc).  I was able to get video on TV and audio thru the E300.  I did this primarily to ensure that the HDMI cable I was using (for the first time) was good.  The hdmi cable does not appear to be the issue.

 

With that said, does anyone have any simple fixes to try or do I need to go into settings detail?

Also, is an optical audio cable (toslink) required, or do I understand correctly that HDMI (via the arc input/output) should provide both video and audio (with need for the toslink)?

 

Eager for your help

Rob

retro124 likes this.
BombaytheGreat is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2309ci Receiver , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon , Denon Electronics , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Denon Avr E200 , Denon Avr E300 , Denon Avr E400 , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page


    Forum Jump: 

    Posting Rules  
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off