The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 193 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5761 of 8174 Old 02-21-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by krips View Post

I use BubbleUPnP from bubblesoft that recently added support for Chromecast. I haven't experienced any lock up on videos/pictures/music files playing through Chromecast. Btw, I have x4000.
Wow, that's a 'knobs on' bit of app there. Nice. It's at least more informative about what's going on and quite configurable. Is there a good forum to discuss it?

Meanwhile I used it to test playing various media to both the X3000 and the E300. To my surprise the E300 was a lot more reliable. It would appear that videos sent from the Droid4 aren't using a video codec the AVR wants. Understandable, but the E300 played the accompanying audio much more smoothly than did the X3000. That and if I went back and forth between other kinds of tracks the E300 went right along as expected, stopping and starting on command. The X3000, however, got all sorts of confused and failed to keep up. It was taking it quite a bit longer to even start displaying pictures sent to it. The E300 had no trouble at all.

Don't know if it's related or not but the E300 did not get an update, nor is one available when I checked (but I didn't note the version number). The X3000 has the latest update on it and has been power cycled since it was installed.

Both receivers feed into the same network switch, and I'm seeing no network errors on it. But I'd have to rearrange things a bit to get a more manageable set of ports connected. It's a new house and there's always the chance that the wiring's at fault.

I'm a bit concerned here with the neither of them have any kind of pixel orbiter or configurable time out for the video. On the E300 it's no big deal as the ancient Samsung connected to it doesn't have HDMI-CEC control. But the X3000 has a new Panasonic VT60 on it and I'd prefer to avoid leaving static displays up on it for any length of time (plasma, image retention, etc...)

I want to have network remote control. Is that separably configurable from the DLNA stuff? I'm inclined to think I'd like to disable DLNA entirely but continue using IP remote control. Is that possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5762 of 8174 Old 02-21-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

I know you hate Harmony / Pronto remotes, BUT if you are willing to spend a few bucks why not grab an uber cheap used one strictly for "teaching" purposes.
That's a good idea. I'll look into it.
post #5763 of 8174 Old 02-21-2014, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
AVR-X4000 HDMI Problems with Sony KDS60A3000 TV and Solution

HDMI Handshake issues between new AVR-X4000 and old Sony KDS60A3000 TV. Changing from one input to another almost always results in no video. I tried all combinations of X4000 output video settings without success. Installed Monoprice 3X1 powered HDMI switch between X4000 and TV, as suggested in the troubleshooting section of this thread, and this fixed the problem.

-pc
post #5764 of 8174 Old 02-21-2014, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

You might not need an old remote to learn these commands. If your universals can be programmed directly with pronto/hex codes these codes (as will as a zillion other useful ones) are freely available. Even if you have a Harmony, there are ways to hack in the pronto/hex code, or if you have more than one, you can simply load a device profile for an older receiver that has the QS commands and use one to teach the other. See this post at my website for some more details (although Harmony specific, the link to the post with discrete codes can be used for other programmables): http://batpigworld.com/wp/?p=106

Batpig, do you know if the 4520 pdf codes (in Sharp format) or the Harmony codes in your link can be programmed into a JP1 remote?
post #5765 of 8174 Old 02-21-2014, 02:39 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Tom View Post

I share your observation regarding the sound quality of ATV and Airplay for critical listening.  I ended up getting Asset UPnP software and access music files over the network connection.  In my opinion, this method sounds better, also allows for playback of Hi Rez 192/24 or 96/24 music files. Prior to this, I was also looking into outboard DAC's but decided to wait for now.  They strike me as the type of product that may provide a very slight incremental improvement in sound over the receivers internal DAC, but not in proportion to the cost of the product. 

Also, I still use the apple products for more casual listening, tough to beat the ease of use and features of iTunes.

Apple is tough to bear for the ease of use. I was hoping a Min hooked directly to my AVR would be the solution. How do you control the Db Poweramp solution.?
post #5766 of 8174 Old 02-21-2014, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by William K View Post

Quote:

You might not need an old remote to learn these commands. If your universals can be programmed directly with pronto/hex codes these codes (as will as a zillion other useful ones) are freely available. Even if you have a Harmony, there are ways to hack in the pronto/hex code, or if you have more than one, you can simply load a device profile for an older receiver that has the QS commands and use one to teach the other. See this post at my website for some more details (although Harmony specific, the link to the post with discrete codes can be used for other programmables): http://batpigworld.com/wp/?p=106

Batpig, do you know if the 4520 pdf codes (in Sharp format) or the Harmony codes in your link can be programmed into a JP1 remote?

Sorry, no clue. You might try RemoteCentral.com. I have no direct experience with that remote.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #5767 of 8174 Old 02-21-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Hi all,

I am researching upgrading my 2311CI AVR to the X4000 (mainly for MultEq XT32), and from what I have read in this forum, it is a solid choice (not too many negatives... if I am wrong please speak up!) I did do a search concerning firmware update via USB, witch only yielded a "TBD." I do not have an internet connection readily available where my AVR is located, although I could jury-rig something if need be (run a 60' cat5 cable from the router in another room for a temporary hookup), though it would be a lot easier to simply download the update to a thumb drive and plug it in to the X4000. Any other negatives, please chime in (193 pages is a lot to read). Thanks!

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

post #5768 of 8174 Old 02-21-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader424242 View Post

Hi all,

I am researching upgrading my 2311CI AVR to the X4000 (mainly for MultEq XT32), and from what I have read in this forum, it is a solid choice (not too many negatives... if I am wrong please speak up!) I did do a search concerning firmware update via USB, witch only yielded a "TBD." I do not have an internet connection readily available where my AVR is located, although I could jury-rig something if need be (run a 60' cat5 cable from the router in another room for a temporary hookup), though it would be a lot easier to simply download the update to a thumb drive and plug it in to the X4000. Any other negatives, please chime in (193 pages is a lot to read). Thanks!

I went from a 4310 to an x4000. What I lost is outweighed by what I gained. The losses:
--Can't use Quick Select from the remote (although there are workarounds covered earlier in this thread)
--no switched power outlet on the back
--Most Annoying: the remote isn't backlit
--slight reduction in rated power that is meaningless in any practical sense
--I think you need to use an external amp if you want to run 9 or 11 channels or something like that (I only go 5.1, so I could be wrong about this)
--DenonLink 3 is gone

The gains:
--Most important: MultiEQ 32 and SubEQ HT
--Much easier to program the FM tuner and operate it
--You can use Page Up and Page Down to run through lists of media files you're playing from a media server
--Speaker terminals accept bare wires vertically instead of at an angle
--Navigating the setup menu is much easier
--DenonLink HD is available if you have certain Denon players--supposed to give you jitter-free CD playback
--The source choice buttons on the remote are up to date and comprehensible (what was "HDP" anyway??)
--You can send play audio from one source and video from another in one or more of the zones

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #5769 of 8174 Old 02-21-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi pbarach,

Thanks for the rundown. Most of the items there are not applicable to me: I run 5.1 (soon 7.1), and only use the primary zone. The main draw that I can see is the XT32. One question, though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

--Speaker terminals accept bare wires vertically instead of at an angle

Will the speaker terminals still accept banana plugs? Thanks! (I'm about to become $1200 poorer)...smile.gif

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

post #5770 of 8174 Old 02-21-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by William K View Post

Even better: If you are familiar with the details of basic JP1 programming tools, then you can take the codes from the Denon-supplied spreadsheets of Pronto codes for the AVR and convert them into the format whatever the Denon AVR you have uses. I did.

Or you can take the codes from batpig's pages and directly convert them to suitable format for your AVR. I did that too.

It's all pretty painless, if you know the basic JP1 tools. Otherwise, you are in for a world of pain. smile.gif
post #5771 of 8174 Old 02-21-2014, 06:07 PM

Thanks for the rundown. Most of the items there are not applicable to me: I run 5.1 (soon 7.1), and only use the primary zone. The main draw that I can see is the XT32. One question, though...
Will the speaker terminals still accept banana plugs? Thanks! (I'm about to become $1200 poorer)...smile.gif[/quote]I

Yes they will accept banana plugs.
post #5772 of 8174 Old 02-21-2014, 06:11 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by pec82 View Post

AVR-X4000 HDMI Problems with Sony KDS60A3000 TV and Solution

HDMI Handshake issues between new AVR-X4000 and old Sony KDS60A3000 TV. Changing from one input to another almost always results in no video. I tried all combinations of X4000 output video settings without success. Installed Monoprice 3X1 powered HDMI switch between X4000 and TV, as suggested in the troubleshooting section of this thread, and this fixed the problem.

-pc

Wohoo!!! Another satisified owner! smile.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5773 of 8174 Old 02-21-2014, 06:14 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Hi all,

Denon started this in 2012 but it seems to have stalled (ie. USB updates) and is no longer an option at least for now. Your best bet is picking up a 75' Cat 5e cable from Monoprice for < $10 and then just connect it when you need to do an update as a wired connection is much more reliable.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?seq=1&format=2&p_id=5007&CAWELAID=1329450631&catargetid=320013720000010784&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CN-vrofS3rwCFW9p7AodkRUABg

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #5774 of 8174 Old 02-21-2014, 06:21 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraser View Post

Even better: If you are familiar with the details of basic JP1 programming tools, then you can take the codes from the Denon-supplied spreadsheets of Pronto codes for the AVR and convert them into the format whatever the Denon AVR you have uses. I did.

Or you can take the codes from batpig's pages and directly convert them to suitable format for your AVR. I did that too.

It's all pretty painless, if you know the basic JP1 tools. Otherwise, you are in for a world of pain. smile.gif

Sounds like I have some reading to do if I'm going to do this rolleyes.gif
post #5775 of 8174 Old 02-21-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, jdsmmothie...smile.gif

I kinda figured that (my luck, and so forth...). I was waiting to see if there were any tax refund sales, but, alas, no such luck. I think I will just close my eyes, and hit the 'place order' button...smile.gif

Peace... Vader

post #5776 of 8174 Old 02-21-2014, 07:06 PM

Hi,

Question about the X4000: I bought this a couple of weeks ago for my new place but other than first-time setup I haven't played around with it too much. I think I remember when setting it up that when I press 'network' or 'internet radio' I had a menu popup on screen. I finally sat down today to play around with it some more and now the menu doesn't come on screen. I get the choices on the X4000 display but not on the television. I have the "DENON" image on the screen and when I press setup or info those items come up. But those other items I mentioned do not. Am I imagining having that menu on the television at all??

The only thing I changed since I first setup the receiver was playing around with different ways of connecting my components. At first I had my cable run through the receiver then output to television. Since then I have everything connected to the television (only audio to the receiver). The receiver is connected to the television via HDMI.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
post #5777 of 8174 Old 02-21-2014, 07:12 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Try unplugging the AVR for 10 minutes.

post #5778 of 8174 Old 02-21-2014, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:

Hi pbarach,

Will the speaker terminals still accept banana plugs? Thanks! (I'm about to become $1200 poorer)...smile.gif

You can do better than $1200. I'd suggest you call Jdsmoothie (who posts here all the time and works for an authorized dealer) and see what his price is. I was very happy with the transaction when I bought my X4000.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #5779 of 8174 Old 02-21-2014, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Denon started this in 2012 but it seems to have stalled (ie. USB updates) and is no longer an option at least for now. Your best bet is picking up a 75' Cat 5e cable from Monoprice for < $10 and then just connect it when you need to do an update as a wired connection is much more reliable.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?seq=1&format=2&p_id=5007&CAWELAID=1329450631&catargetid=320013720000010784&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CN-vrofS3rwCFW9p7AodkRUABg

I'd actually recommend one of these: http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA4010KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00AWRUICG/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&srs=2530652011&ie=UTF8&qid=1393039156&sr=1-1&keywords=tp+link

easiest way to get good internet connection without a modem nearby.
ambesolman likes this.

Denon X4000
Emotiva LPA-1
Epson 5020ub::::100" ES Cinewhite
PS4::::Toshiba HD-A35::::Marantz UD5007
Martin Logan Stage center::::Martin Logan Aerius I as L/R::::Canton GLE 402s as R/RS
Klipsch 12" Synergy sub::::Polk psw110 10" sub
post #5780 of 8174 Old 02-21-2014, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

You can do better than $1200. I'd suggest you call Jdsmoothie (who posts here all the time and works for an authorized dealer) and see what his price is. I was very happy with the transaction when I bought my X4000.

Thanks again, pbarach! I will do just that come Monday!

Peace... Vader

post #5781 of 8174 Old 02-22-2014, 01:35 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Of course there is always the weekend as well. smile.gif

post #5782 of 8174 Old 02-22-2014, 01:50 AM

hey guys i just got the denon x4000 to replace my 3313 mainly for xt32, ive only just started playing around with it, but the the x4000 sounds incredibly bright compared to my 3313 so much so i think im going to return it.
my kit is millenia one x 5 svs sb12nsd and rotel 1565 power amp. the x4000 is still very bright with audyssey turned off, reviews say the x4000 is better in every way but to my ears its sounds very thin.
post #5783 of 8174 Old 02-22-2014, 01:55 AM
585-645-1006

^^
If you have no issues with XT on the 3313CI, then there shouldn't be a problem with the X4000. Did you do the Audyssey setup the same way? Have you reviewed the Audyssey 101/FAQ linked below to ensure you are doing it properly to include using a camera tripod or better yet a mic boom stand? Are your FL/FR speakers toed in?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-51779/51700_100#post_21783025

post #5784 of 8174 Old 02-22-2014, 04:46 AM

yep using a home made boom arm and audyssey mic, just done back to back tests with the 3313, with my kit the 3313 sounds better, the x4000 is too bright. even with audyssey off the x4000 is to bright, this must be the new denon tune they were talking about for the x series, however with my kit it doesnt sound good at all. x4000 is being returned and the 3313 is back in the rack.
Lesson maybe learned here, new isnt always better, i should point out im not using any of the denons amps, the sound must be tuned within the dac.
post #5785 of 8174 Old 02-22-2014, 04:50 AM
585-645-1006

Your in a very very small minority, but your preference is what counts. smile.gif

You might want to try different mic positions as this poster did to resolve his issues ....

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1516867/x4000-sounds-terrible-compared-to-1909-i-need-help/0_100

post #5786 of 8174 Old 02-22-2014, 05:23 AM

hey jd, my point being it still sounds harsh with audyssey off. nothing to do with audyssey. its probably the combination of my kit the x4000 doesnt like.
post #5787 of 8174 Old 02-22-2014, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1210 View Post

hey jd, my point being it still sounds harsh with audyssey off. nothing to do with audyssey. its probably the combination of my kit the x4000 doesnt like.

Maybe a professional audio calibration(manual cal) is in order. Look here at some comparisons between audyssey vs manual cal. :http://www.homecinemaguru.com/will-automatic-audio-calibration-lead-to-great-sound-or-even-optimal-sound/

and here: http://www.homecinemaguru.com/audyssey-multeq-comparison-to-manual-audio-calibration/

Denon AVR-X2000------>Def Tech PM1000's------>Def Tech PC2000------->Sub(TBD)
Pioneer Pro111FD viewed from 7'------>Picture mode, ISF Day(calibrated by umr)
Sony PS3

post #5788 of 8174 Old 02-22-2014, 06:34 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Husker View Post

Apple is tough to bear for the ease of use. I was hoping a Min hooked directly to my AVR would be the solution. How do you control the Db Poweramp solution.?

The controls are accessed through the Network key, and selecting the Media Server icon. PC name/Asset UPnP is listed as a Media Server.  There are many ways to sort, though my Library does not have all of the tags needed for some of the sorting such as "contributing artists"  Under advanced search, one can search under folder/file name.  This tends to get me what I want the quickest.   PC must be turned on, just as with ATV.  Controls are accessible from Denon remote control, PC & tablet.

Mike from this forum really helped me understand this product.  Also found this forum very helpful http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/forum.php

I have no experience hooking Mac to receiver and could not comment on how these two methods would compare regarding sound quality.  If you would need to purchase the Mac, you may want to try this first.  You can get a 30 day trial of the Asset software, If you want to continue use of full featured product there is a registration fee. 

post #5789 of 8174 Old 02-23-2014, 11:02 AM

Liked: 13
I finally completed going through the entire thread up to now. Every question that I have had has been answered in here - several of them have been answered 10 times over! At any rate, I have been able to set up my network (a learning experience for me) with my Imac. I am using Firefox so I had to use the instructions on the front page in order to save my config. Rereading them several times before I was successful. The part that tripped me up was having to go back into the Network input and press the stop button. Once I did that, the rest of the process went off without a hitch. The one point that I would make for Mac users is the link that JD posted for the Hex Editor takes you to a Windows based editor and will not work with Mac. I just googled for a Mac Hex Editor and got this page:

http://hexedit.en.softonic.com/mac

I downloaded it and checked my save file to verify it was not all zeroes. No worries there - so now I am kicked back and listening to a Pandora station that my daughter made up some time back.

JD or BP - maybe add the link to one of the first posts to benefit Mac users?
post #5790 of 8174 Old 02-23-2014, 12:18 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Done. Thanks for the link.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2309ci Receiver , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon , Denon Electronics , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Denon Avr E200 , Denon Avr E300 , Denon Avr E400 , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page