The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 211 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6301 of 9197 Old 03-17-2014, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked: 1442
The preout is non amplified (line level) so you need an amplifier. The preout becomes the Input source for the amplifier which then powers the zone speakers.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6302 of 9197 Old 03-18-2014, 02:41 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1436 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbarry View Post

Since my new X4000 is diagonally opposite my router, I would like to add WiFi to the receiver. Is the NetGear WNCE2001 the best way to go? Thanks.

Not sure what "diagonally opposite" means, but yes, when the AVR cannot be directly wired to the home's Wifi router/modem, then adding a "bridge" router like the WNCE2001 can be used to wirelessly connect the AVR.
carlbarry likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6303 of 9197 Old 03-18-2014, 04:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

The preout is non amplified (line level) so you need an amplifier. The preout becomes the Input source for the amplifier which then powers the zone speakers.

Any suggestions on equipment that wont break the bank?

post #6304 of 9197 Old 03-18-2014, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Not sure what "diagonally opposite" means, but yes, when the AVR cannot be directly wired to the home's Wifi router/modem, then adding a "bridge" router like the WNCE2001 can be used to wirelessly connect the AVR.
I just meant that the router is about as far from the receiver as it can be in the room, which would require the cable to wrap around most of 3 walls. I also did a search, and found that there are other bridge routers recommended here, some very reasonably priced, like the TRENDnet N300 nad NetGear WN2000RPT.
Thanks!
post #6305 of 9197 Old 03-18-2014, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustoff00 View Post

Hello all -

I have a Denon AVR-X4000 and here is what I am trying to do.....I am trying to use the Ch2 (or Ch3) pre-out L/R plugs to power the whole home speaker system.

Problem - I have a multi-channel speaker distro box which I plug your standard 16G wire into. I have 16G wires running out of the wall at the receiver.

How do I make the Ch2 pre-out RCA wire work with the 16G wire coming out of the wall? Is there an amp (or component) that converts this for ease of use?

Thanks for the help.....

I think you are talking about ZONE 2 pre outs. I also think it may depend on how your speakers are wired but any amp should probably work. Have an old receiver? Try that.
post #6306 of 9197 Old 03-18-2014, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

Any suggestions on equipment that wont break the bank?

The Audiosource AMP 100 is a popular option, it costs only 100 bucks and has an auto on circuit so you don't need to worry about turning it on and off. You can also shop used or use an old receiver as noted above. Nothing special is needed, you just need amplification.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #6307 of 9197 Old 03-18-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:

Hello all -

I have a Denon AVR-X4000 and here is what I am trying to do.....I am trying to use the Ch2 (or Ch3) pre-out L/R plugs to power the whole home speaker system.

Problem - I have a multi-channel speaker distro box which I plug your standard 16G wire into. I have 16G wires running out of the wall at the receiver.

How do I make the Ch2 pre-out RCA wire work with the 16G wire coming out of the wall? Is there an amp (or component) that converts this for ease of use?

Thanks for the help.....

The Pre-outs have to be connected to an external amplifier of appropriate capacity for the speakers you're using. Then that amplifier's outputs would be connected to your speaker distribution box.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #6308 of 9197 Old 03-18-2014, 10:33 AM

Liked: 169
^ Why not use Zones 2 and 3 through the spare speaker terminals if you have them?

/maybe I'm missing something
post #6309 of 9197 Old 03-18-2014, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Well, first off if he's running a 7ch setup in the main zone then he doesn't have any spare. The most he could have would be two extra speaker outputs (only 7 amps built in and only 2 are assignable) and he is trying to power a whole house audio system. This implies that he has more than one or two pairs of speakers, and it would be a bad idea to have two channels in the AVR powering multiple pairs of speakers. It's smarter to spend a little bit to get an external amp and take the load off the receiver; you don't need anything fancy for this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #6310 of 9197 Old 03-18-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:

Well, first off if he's running a 7ch setup in the main zone then he doesn't have any spare. The most he could have would be two extra speaker outputs (only 7 amps built in and only 2 are assignable) and he is trying to power a whole house audio system. This implies that he has more than one or two pairs of speakers, and it would be a bad idea to have two channels in the AVR powering multiple pairs of speakers. It's smarter to spend a little bit to get an external amp and take the load off the receiver; you don't need anything fancy for this.

That's what I just did. Just got an emo upa200 for $200 off audiogon to run my MA RX8s. I've been running 5.1 + wides since getting the x4000. I removed the rear surrounds (ch 6 &7) and was going to add them as heights. So I'd be running 5.1 + wides + heights. Before I go fishing wires in the wall, the x4000 shouldn't have any problem doing this right?
post #6311 of 9197 Old 03-18-2014, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

We'll technically it's not the same thing because the other poster was talking about other zones. But yes, with an additional 2 channels of external amplification the X4000 can run a 9ch setup.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #6312 of 9197 Old 03-18-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We'll technically it's not the same thing because the other poster was talking about other zones. But yes, with an additional 2 channels of external amplification the X4000 can run a 9ch setup.

You're right, not the same.

Thanks for the confirmation.
post #6313 of 9197 Old 03-18-2014, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Just so you are aware, you will need to make the following changes in the Speakers menu (either in the Manual section or at the Audyssey Setup start screen if you immediately re-run calibration):

1. Change Amp Assign setting to "9.1ch(SB/FH/FW)
2. Change the Main Pre-amps setting to "Front" since you will be connecting the external amp to power FR/FL speakers; this lets the receiver know that you are using an external amp for the Front channels and frees the 7 internal amps for the other channels.

(pg 181-182 of the manual)

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #6314 of 9197 Old 03-18-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just so you are aware, you will need to make the following changes in the Speakers menu (either in the Manual section or at the Audyssey Setup start screen if you immediately re-run calibration):

1. Change Amp Assign setting to "9.1ch(SB/FH/FW)
2. Change the Main Pre-amps setting to "Front" since you will be connecting the external amp to power FR/FL speakers; this lets the receiver know that you are using an external amp for the Front channels and frees the 7 internal amps for the other channels.

(pg 181-182 of the manual)

Thanks! Since I was using the rear surrounds for zone 2, and now not using them, will it automatically select the wides or heights for that duty? Or will it still be the rear surround channels?

Fwiw, I know I have to change the amp assign to zone 2 for it to work first.
post #6315 of 9197 Old 03-18-2014, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Remember that the X4000 has 11 channels of speaker posts for the main zone speakers, so as long as the correct speaker is hooked up to the matching speaker post on the back, it will detect that when you run Audyssey. So since you are running an external amp for FR/FL, you will hook the fronts up via the pre-outs to the amp, and then the other 7 channels (C, SL/SR, FHL/FHR, FWL/FWR) will hook up to the corresponding speaker posts on the back of the receiver. When you select Amp Assign as "9ch" and then re-run Audyssey it will ping the channels and determine what's connected.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #6316 of 9197 Old 03-18-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Remember that the X4000 has 11 channels of speaker posts for the main zone speakers, so as long as the correct speaker is hooked up to the matching speaker post on the back, it will detect that when you run Audyssey. So since you are running an external amp for FR/FL, you will hook the fronts up via the pre-outs to the amp, and then the other 7 channels (C, SL/SR, FHL/FHR, FWL/FWR) will hook up to the corresponding speaker posts on the back of the receiver. When you select Amp Assign as "9ch" and then re-run Audyssey it will ping the channels and determine what's connected.

Well the rear surround speakers are now mounted as heights. Those speakers actually go through a speaker selector that changes btw the rear surrounds (now heights) and deck speakers.
So are you saying that I should just hook up the deck speakers only to the now vacant rear surround posts?
Would doing so eliminate my need for the selector switch?
post #6317 of 9197 Old 03-18-2014, 08:52 PM

Liked: 160

Okay, this is driving me insane.

I have a lipsync issue...but the audio is behind the video. And my audio delay is at 0ms. 

Searching for lipsync it seems that everybody else just has to find the correct delay to dial in. So I'm at a loss.

ATT U-verse cable box, Denon X1000, Samsung PN60F5300 (plasma)

I've tried the auto lipsync on and off and I don't think it changes anything.

Samsung PN60F5300, Sony PS3

Denon AVR-X1000

SVS PB-2000

Front-Center-Surround, Pioneer: FS52-C22-FS51

post #6318 of 9197 Old 03-18-2014, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

If the video is the part that is lagging it's probably due to processing in the tv, not the receiver. Try turning off enhancements in the Samsung. There may be a game mode or something.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #6319 of 9197 Old 03-18-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:

If the video is the part that is lagging it's probably due to processing in the tv, not the receiver. Try turning off enhancements in the Samsung. There may be a game mode or something.

The video is ahead of the audio. 

Video lagging would be the opposite effect and could be relatively easy to fix by dialing up some audio delay in the Denon. But I can't tell the Denon to make the sound come out sooner (at 0ms delay), and I doubt I can tell the Samsung to delay the video. 

Is there no way to get rid of the audio delay coming from the Denon?'

There's got to be something I'm not aware of.

We've watched several episodes of House of Cards through the PS3 without noticing anything. Switching from ATT to Comcast on Thursday. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll fix itself that way...

Denon AVR-X1000

SVS PB-2000

post #6320 of 9197 Old 03-18-2014, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

So was it just with the cable box? It could be source dependent.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #6321 of 9197 Old 03-18-2014, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Quote:

Well the rear surround speakers are now mounted as heights. Those speakers actually go through a speaker selector that changes btw the rear surrounds (now heights) and deck speakers.
So are you saying that I should just hook up the deck speakers only to the now vacant rear surround posts?
Would doing so eliminate my need for the selector switch?

Possibly. Although if the switching involves manually toggling the amp assign setting every time you want to use zone 2 deck speakers you will likely end up only being able to run 5.1 when they are on. Seems like you should take my advice to the other poster and drop 100 bucks on the AMP100 and then dispense with that kludge. Adding an amp for zone 2 will allow you to have 9ch all the time in the main zone and dump the selector.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #6322 of 9197 Old 03-18-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:

So was it just with the cable box? It could be source dependent.

I'm not sure. I haven't had any of this stuff for very long. Most of the TV content I watched before the last couple days was such that I wouldn't really notice the delay (documentary educational type stuff with a narrator who was not visible, no people talking visible on the screen). And watching a few episodes on Netflix I didn't notice it, but I imagine I would have because House of Cards is basically just watching people talk it seems like. 

I've tested some movies here and there too without noticing it. 

Crossing my fingers that it's somehow related to the source. I don't know though, as I said earlier, on another TV in the other room I don't notice it...but there certainly could be something about the interaction between the box and the AVR/this specific TV...who knows. I sure don't. We'll see on Thur if I need to troubleshoot some more, I'll just deal with it until then and keep crossing my fingers.

The worse offender is Disney Jr's Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Mickey can open his mouth, then close his mouth, then you hear the word WOW. Don't think my daughter notices lol. 

Denon AVR-X1000

SVS PB-2000

post #6323 of 9197 Old 03-18-2014, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Possibly. Although if the switching involves manually toggling the amp assign setting every time you want to use zone 2 deck speakers you will likely end up only being able to run 5.1 when they are on. Seems like you should take my advice to the other poster and drop 100 bucks on the AMP100 and then dispense with that kludge. Adding an amp for zone 2 will allow you to have 9ch all the time in the main zone and dump the selector.

That's a good idea, I'll just have to see if I have space for another amp and the funds.

So...should just hook up the deck speakers only to the now vacant rear surround posts?
post #6324 of 9197 Old 03-19-2014, 03:38 PM

Liked: 11

Hey guys a couple thing,

1.  I want to hook my pc into the avr but my TV has a dedicated PC HDMI port (called DVI PC/HDMI1)  If the PC is not in HDMI1 it gets all screwed up on the screen.

Currently I have AVR going into HDMI slot 2 on TV and PC going into HDMI1.  I am currious will it be okay to plug the PC into the back of the AVR and send AVR to HDMI1?

2. Second question when I stream audio via airplay.  I choose audio on 5.1 multichannel stereo because I like the way the clarity is.  Only thing for some reason there is hardly any bass unless I turn gain up to 75% (normally on 25%) on the wheel on the side of the sub.  Is there a reason for this?

My setup

Monster Power Filter

PS3/PS4

DENON AVR-X4000

Klipsch Reference 5.1

- Center RC-35

- Sub RSW-12

- Two Tower RF-82 II (for front L/R) (Bi-amped)

- Two Bookshelf RB-35 (using as rear L/R)

SAMSUNG 40" LED 120 HZ (Model# UN40B7000WFXZA)

post #6325 of 9197 Old 03-19-2014, 04:04 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1436 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
^^
1. Only way to know is to try it.
2. Many owners find the bass lacking after running Audyssey, so simply bump the Subwoofer Level up by +3-5db on the AVR.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6326 of 9197 Old 03-19-2014, 05:16 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
1. Only way to know is to try it.
2. Many owners find the bass lacking after running Audyssey, so simply bump the Subwoofer Level up by +3-5db on the AVR.

After I did Audyssey I can tell that the bass is less but on dolby Pll music mode the bass is quite loud.

My setup

Monster Power Filter

PS3/PS4

DENON AVR-X4000

Klipsch Reference 5.1

- Center RC-35

- Sub RSW-12

- Two Tower RF-82 II (for front L/R) (Bi-amped)

- Two Bookshelf RB-35 (using as rear L/R)

SAMSUNG 40" LED 120 HZ (Model# UN40B7000WFXZA)

post #6327 of 9197 Old 03-19-2014, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAVRX4000 View Post

Hey guys a couple thing,

1.  I want to hook my pc into the avr but my TV has a dedicated PC HDMI port (called DVI PC/HDMI1)  If the PC is not in HDMI1 it gets all screwed up on the screen.
Currently I have AVR going into HDMI slot 2 on TV and PC going into HDMI1.  I am currious will it be okay to plug the PC into the back of the AVR and send AVR to HDMI1?

2. Second question when I stream audio via airplay.  I choose audio on 5.1 multichannel stereo because I like the way the clarity is.  Only thing for some reason there is hardly any bass unless I turn gain up to 75% (normally on 25%) on the wheel on the side of the sub.  Is there a reason for this?

I don't know about your TV model or about GPU you have in your PC. But, for me I have connected it at the back of the AVR HDMI and it works without any issues.

Fyi... TV - Sony XBR-55HX929
PC - Custom built with nVidia GTX660i GPU

XBR55HX929 / AVR X4000
PS3 Slim / BDP-S6200
Roku 3 / WD TV Live /Chromecast
DT PM1000 / PC2000
DVP5000
post #6328 of 9197 Old 03-19-2014, 09:59 PM

Hello guys ...
Please help me outta my dilemma choosing between Marantz SR6008 and Denon AVR-X4000. I know this is kinda stupid question to ask but still I am daring to ask. Which one of these produce quality sound for music? Like Blues & Rock. I have heard that Marantz uses the best components and parts on their machine over Denon. Just for a moment forget about other stuffs like Movies, HDMI etc and just think of music.

My main purpose for getting one of these is to listen music , movies and games.
Music : 50% (Classic Rock, Blues, psychedelic rock)
Movies : 35% ( Action, SciFi)
Games : 15% (FPS)

Actually I was thinking of getting good pairs of speaker and preamp. Later I thought why not get AVR. If AVR can produce decent sound for stereo music and also enjoy the movies & games then WHY NOT get an AVR biggrin.gif

I already have Dali Zensor 1 and planning to but Dali Vokal for center speaker and sub woofer. Not quiet sure if these sets are enough to enjoy music , movies and games.

PLEASE GUYS HELP ME TO CHOOSE ONE OF THESE AVRs

Thank you biggrin.gif
post #6329 of 9197 Old 03-19-2014, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabluesfreak View Post

Hello guys ...
Please help me outta my dilemma choosing between Marantz SR6008 and Denon AVR-X4000. I know this is kinda stupid question to ask but still I am daring to ask. Which one of these produce quality sound for music? Like Blues & Rock. I have heard that Marantz uses the best components and parts on their machine over Denon. Just for a moment forget about other stuffs like Movies, HDMI etc and just think of music.

My main purpose for getting one of these is to listen music , movies and games.
Music : 50% (Classic Rock, Blues, psychedelic rock)
Movies : 35% ( Action, SciFi)
Games : 15% (FPS)

Actually I was thinking of getting good pairs of speaker and preamp. Later I thought why not get AVR. If AVR can produce decent sound for stereo music and also enjoy the movies & games then WHY NOT get an AVR biggrin.gif

I already have Dali Zensor 1 and planning to but Dali Vokal for center speaker and sub woofer. Not quiet sure if these sets are enough to enjoy music , movies and games.

PLEASE GUYS HELP ME TO CHOOSE ONE OF THESE AVRs

Thank you biggrin.gif

The X-4000 has Audyssey XT32 whereas the 6008 has Audyssey XT. Most users that have heard both agree that XT32 sounds better than XT. Based on that alone, I would choose the X-4000.
mo949 and dabluesfreak like this.

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #6330 of 9197 Old 03-20-2014, 12:38 AM

I haven't notice this right after I updated the firmware of my European X1000, but since a few weeks ago, the internet radio doesn't work anymore. It takes the text info out of the stream, but it doesn't start buffering or playing. I tried a handful of stations without luck. Going back over a month in this thread, I didn't find anybody talking about something similar. 

This morning, when I was trying the other stations, I also noticed the lost registration on RadioDenon, that people have been talking about around here. I didn't have much time this morning, but tonight I'll unplug the receiver for 10-15 minutes and maybe do a full reset too.

The current firmware version is 9500-0784-9114, updated a few weeks ago.

Has anybody been faced with something like this?

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2309ci Receiver , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon , Denon Electronics , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Denon Avr E200 , Denon Avr E300 , Denon Avr E400 , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page