The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 214 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6391 of 8291 Old 03-23-2014, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Ouch! Yup ... roughly $500 in fact. frown.gif

There's no way I'm paying $500 for a $1k receiver I just bought a couple months ago.  If I can find the part I'm not afraid to replace the HDMI board and I have soldering experience.  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6392 of 8291 Old 03-23-2014, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAVRX4000 View Post

question,  I have been adjusting picture with spears and munsil,  should I be adjusting it on the receiver or on the tv?

As long as your tv is reliable and has decent controls, Id just do it on the display.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200
post #6393 of 8291 Old 03-23-2014, 06:45 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabioMC View Post

Hi All.

I have an HTPC and i'm gonna buy a Denon X4000.

I want to know if there's any benefit buying a high end sound card like Sound Blaster ZXR. I'm gonna use my 5.1 setup and my AKG K702 headphone for gaming too.

Should I buy it or stick with my onboard ALC 1150 ? The denon x4000 have headphone amp for my K702 ?

Thank u everybody.

For me, as long as the soundcard and driver can be made to output bitperfect digital (no resampling, downmixing, etc), then it's likely fine. I used to have problems getting linux to not resample everything to 48 khz, but my current HTPC works fine with the onboard Realtek sound.

Panasonic P46ST30 | Denon AVR-X2000 | PSB T45/B15/C40 | Oppo BDP-83 | DirecTV
post #6394 of 8291 Old 03-23-2014, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanob View Post

Hi, I purchased an x4000 a few months ago and lately I've had problems with the source input changing itself at apparently random times.  This is independent of the source that is being used at the time, and independent of cables that are being used as I've changed them and have the same results.  I will be using the DVD input and it will switch itself to CBL/SAT (despite there being nothing connected to that input), and if I simply plug what I'm using into the CBL/SAT input then it will switch itself to PHONO (with nothing connected into phono).  This does not happen often, but enough to be very annoying.  I did a hard reset in the receiver and this did not help.  Also checked the batteries in the remote and they are brand new with full charge reading on a multimeter.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

Do you have all the unused inputs set on 'Hide' in the Input setup screens? Can't say that'd stop your problem, but it'd be interesting to know if it's switching to ones already set as hidden, or if it then skips over them the next time it acts up.
post #6395 of 8291 Old 03-23-2014, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
As for odd voodoo with the X3000, mine will inexplicably switch from using AVR speaker output to HDMI output to the TV. Can't repeat it though. When it happens the only way I can get AVR speaker output back again is to dis/enable the HDMI control options. The screen shows it set properly (AVR) but it isn't. If it unset/set it the audio resumes using the AVR speakers again. Damnedest thing...
post #6396 of 8291 Old 03-23-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

Do you have all the unused inputs set on 'Hide' in the Input setup screens? Can't say that'd stop your problem, but it'd be interesting to know if it's switching to ones already set as hidden, or if it then skips over them the next time it acts up.

Set all other inputs to hide to see if that makes a difference. Thanks.

post #6397 of 8291 Old 03-23-2014, 10:15 PM

Liked: 14
Thought I'd throw a question up and see if anyone is experiencing the same situation as me:

I have a Samsung F8500 plasma and a Denon x3000 fed with a ps3, ps4, DirecTV, and AppleTV. If I'm watching DirecTV programming, AppleTV, or a DVD then there are no lip sync issues. However, when watching a blu ray at 24p on my ps3 I have lip sync issues and have to engage a 130ms audio delay using the Denon. Now its not really an issue because the audio delay fixes it, but I just found it strange that I only experience it with 24p blu rays. Anyone else have the same thing going on?
post #6398 of 8291 Old 03-24-2014, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmccall View Post

Thought I'd throw a question up and see if anyone is experiencing the same situation as me:

I have a Samsung F8500 plasma and a Denon x3000 fed with a ps3, ps4, DirecTV, and AppleTV. If I'm watching DirecTV programming, AppleTV, or a DVD then there are no lip sync issues. However, when watching a blu ray at 24p on my ps3 I have lip sync issues and have to engage a 130ms audio delay using the Denon. Now its not really an issue because the audio delay fixes it, but I just found it strange that I only experience it with 24p blu rays. Anyone else have the same thing going on?

Your description is consistent with the TV having to do a lot more processing when fed a 24fps signal. Have you tried it with other 24fps sources?

Selden
post #6399 of 8291 Old 03-24-2014, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
I have a question regarding the use of the SOURCE LEVEL option - here's the scenario: let's say I change the source level of a particular input at from 0dB (default) to +6dB. If I set the master volume to -30dB, it should now play as loud as it did at -24dB before the source level was changed. My question is, does this, by default, also affect how heavily Dynamic EQ is applied? i.e. is it being applied at -30dB, or does it take into account the source level value as well? Another way I can phrase the question is, is it possible to use source level as an artificial means to increase/decrease the filtering applied by Dynamic EQ, similar to what Reference Level Offset does, but in a more granular way between +/-12dB?
post #6400 of 8291 Old 03-24-2014, 06:48 AM

Liked: 11

I have (now) tried resetting the "network reset" - but still, no connection to my internet.   Any other things i can try?

post #6401 of 8291 Old 03-24-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Try doing a "network reset" as noted in post #5 of this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq#post_23134213

I have (now) tried resetting the "network reset" - but still, no connection to my internet.   Any other things i can try?

post #6402 of 8291 Old 03-24-2014, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
^^^^^^^
Is the Ethernet port on the router still dark?

post #6403 of 8291 Old 03-24-2014, 07:20 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Your description is consistent with the TV having to do a lot more processing when fed a 24fps signal. Have you tried it with other 24fps sources?

Yes i did last night - I purchased a 3d pay per view from DirecTV which is in 1080/24p and had the lip sync issues which I had to adjust to 130 ms again. I figured it was the processing with 24p but I just wanted to see if others may be having the issue as well. I posted in my display forum as well and someone has confirmed the same issue so I think the PDP is the culprit.

Thanks
post #6404 of 8291 Old 03-24-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey gang,

I have a question I hope you can help out with. I now own two X4000 AVR's. I have one in the theater room upstairs and one setup in the living room which controls all my multi-room audio stuff. Via my WindowsXP machine with iTunes installed, I only see one X4000 receiver with iTunes, while WMP11 sees two, both with the same name. Right now, the one that iTunes thinks I want to control is the one in the theater room. I don't know if I turn both receivers off if that will change what iTunes thinks, but we'll see. I'd like to understand if there is a way to rename each AVR so that they have unique names and hopefully can both be seen by iTunes. LIkewise, I'm hoping that both AVR's will be see as different within WMP11, as well. Any thoughts here? My cursory glance through the manual wasn't helpful, but I may have missed something. Thanks for any help you can throw my way.

Regards,
Jeff
post #6405 of 8291 Old 03-24-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferl View Post

^^^^^^^
Is the Ethernet port on the router still dark?

unfortunately, it still is?

post #6406 of 8291 Old 03-24-2014, 08:02 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceblade View Post

Hey gang,

I have a question I hope you can help out with. I now own two X4000 AVR's. I have one in the theater room upstairs and one setup in the living room which controls all my multi-room audio stuff. Via my WindowsXP machine with iTunes installed, I only see one X4000 receiver with iTunes, while WMP11 sees two, both with the same name. Right now, the one that iTunes thinks I want to control is the one in the theater room. I don't know if I turn both receivers off if that will change what iTunes thinks, but we'll see. I'd like to understand if there is a way to rename each AVR so that they have unique names and hopefully can both be seen by iTunes. LIkewise, I'm hoping that both AVR's will be see as different within WMP11, as well. Any thoughts here? My cursory glance through the manual wasn't helpful, but I may have missed something. Thanks for any help you can throw my way.

Regards,
Jeff

Yes, you can (and should) rename them -- I'd suggest that them having the same name might be what's confusing iTunes. I don't have my X4000 in front of me but it's in the settings menus. From a quick glance at the manual (page 189), I think it's the "Friendly Name" under "Network".
wkearney99 and revans5 like this.
post #6407 of 8291 Old 03-24-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

rogersmj,

Yep,. I just found that on both receivers and renamed them appropriately. Unfortunately, iTunes is only seeing the upstairs unit. I ran Network Diagnostics on both AVR's and they both show everything as "Ok". WMP11 now shows both with the appropriate names, so I know from a DLNA standpoint, they are both visible. Any idea how to get both to show up in iTunes?

Thanks,
Jeff
post #6408 of 8291 Old 03-24-2014, 08:13 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanob View Post

There's no way I'm paying $500 for a $1k receiver I just bought a couple months ago.  If I can find the part I'm not afraid to replace the HDMI board and I have soldering experience.  

I know this doesn't help you now, but for anyone else reading this... if anyone wants one of these receivers, don't buy from an unauthorized seller and risk your warranty. Give user @jdsmoothie a call. Forum sponsor, authorized Denon dealer, and he gave me a great deal that really eliminates any need to purchase from someplace risky (or at least not Denon authorized) like eBay. I have no vested interest, just want to say that he was easy to deal with, answered all my questions, and he can help folks get a good price on these things and you'll have the full Denon warranty.
post #6409 of 8291 Old 03-24-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Nevermind, gang. I've solved the issue by turning DHCP off, allowing the router to lose the IP address it had assigned to the downstairs unit and then turning the DHCP back on and allowing a new IP to be generated. Now both units show up with their proper names so I can tell the difference. Sorry for the bandwidth wasting. These aren't the droids you are looking for. Move along. Move along. wink.gif

Regards,
Jeff
post #6410 of 8291 Old 03-24-2014, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post

I have a question regarding the use of the SOURCE LEVEL option - here's the scenario: let's say I change the source level of a particular input at from 0dB (default) to +6dB. If I set the master volume to -30dB, it should now play as loud as it did at -24dB before the source level was changed. My question is, does this, by default, also affect how heavily Dynamic EQ is applied? i.e. is it being applied at -30dB, or does it take into account the source level value as well? Another way I can phrase the question is, is it possible to use source level as an artificial means to increase/decrease the filtering applied by Dynamic EQ, similar to what Reference Level Offset does, but in a more granular way between +/-12dB?

Your understanding is correct. DEQ does NOT know about the source level change, so you can effectively use that to replace and/or supplement the Reference Level Offset setting. And, in fact, when DEQ first came out there was no Reference Level Offset, so the "Source Level hack" was the proxy for RLO before it existed.

The only difference is that (unlike with RLO) the volume scale is adjusted as you noted. For example, if you listen at -30dB, if you set RLO to 10 it will "trick" the receiver into only adjusting as though you were 20dB below reference instead of 30dB, but the master volume will still say -30dB like before for the same SPL. However, if you use the Source Level adjustment instead, lowering it by 10dB, you will have to turn the MV up to -20dB to get to the prior SPL, resulting in the same net effect as far as DEQ is concerned.
tezster likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #6411 of 8291 Old 03-24-2014, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAVRX4000 View Post

question,  I have been adjusting picture with spears and munsil,  should I be adjusting it on the receiver or on the tv?

Connect the disc player directly to the TV and calibrate the TV. Make sure that there are no video enhancements enabled in either the disc player or the TV. This way you can eliminate any possibility of something else messing with the video signal.

Then connect the disc player to the receiver and the receiver to the TV. Make sure that there are no video enhancements enabled in the receiver. The TV's image characteristics should not change in any way. If they do, then the receiver is doing something to the video that it shouldn't be doing.

Edited to add:
Some TVs let you configure their video settings differently for each of the different video input connections. Make sure you calibrate the TV using the same HDMI input(s) that you'll be connecting to the receiver.

To add to Selden's response....

I agree that the TV itself should always represent the "baseline" video calibration, so your initial adjustment should be done there. And then hopefully the receiver passes the video through unmolested (and most Denon receivers do this correctly).

However, to his last point, with most folks running all of their sources through the receiver, that makes it difficult to utilize the TV to memorize different settings per input, since the TV just sees a single input from the receiver for all sources. That's when you can use the receiver's video controls to tweak from the baseline. For example, let's say you calibrate your TV to look good with movies from your Blu-ray player for dark room viewing, but you want a little more "pop" for cable TV or video games or something. You can use the picture controls in the reciever -- which are memorized by input on the AVR --- to jazz up the contrast or saturation for that input while leaving the Blu-ray player input at the reference baseline calibration.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #6412 of 8291 Old 03-24-2014, 10:18 AM

Hey Guys,

I have a (maybe stupid) question about the X2000.

I want to have the HDMI Picturesignal from my Oppo unprocessed, so i set the Denon to "Videoconvert" and "Scaler" off.
This works, The Opposignal goes unprocessed to my TV.

But now i have the following Problem:
The Denon OSD is in 720p only.
Whenever i press the Menubutton on my Denonremote my TV switches to 720p, after closing the Menu it goes back to 1080p.

Any Suggestions?
post #6413 of 8291 Old 03-24-2014, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACEDK View Post

unfortunately, it still is?

Then my guess is the router doesn't see AVR. Either bad cable or an issue with the AVR.

post #6414 of 8291 Old 03-24-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferl View Post

Then my guess is the router doesn't see AVR. Either bad cable or an issue with the AVR.

I have tried different cables, with no result.. I have read about the 33XX models having problems with defect network cards - how does this manifest? Is it like mine, or does the receiver actually get connection without working anyways? 

ferl likes this.
post #6415 of 8291 Old 03-24-2014, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

^^^^^
What does it state if you pull up Diagnostics in the Network menu?

post #6416 of 8291 Old 03-24-2014, 02:38 PM

such an amazing thread, thanks for posting all the info.
post #6417 of 8291 Old 03-24-2014, 03:10 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wodde View Post

Hey Guys,

I have a (maybe stupid) question about the X2000.

I want to have the HDMI Picturesignal from my Oppo unprocessed, so i set the Denon to "Videoconvert" and "Scaler" off.
This works, The Opposignal goes unprocessed to my TV.

But now i have the following Problem:
The Denon OSD is in 720p only.
Whenever i press the Menubutton on my Denonremote my TV switches to 720p, after closing the Menu it goes back to 1080p.

Any Suggestions?

For what? Why does it matter what the resolution of the menu is? confused.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6418 of 8291 Old 03-24-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
Can anyone say if the X4000 is soldiering on through 2014 or is a replacement model due out from Denon this spring? My Onkyo 818 is acting up and I might have to replace it. X4000 seems to fit the bill but I would be kicking myself if a "X4010" or similar with HDMI 2.0 was going to be released in just a couple of months.

Thanks!
post #6419 of 8291 Old 03-24-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 277
jmpage, I imagine this years models will be HDMI 2.0. Id just wait i out and get the new model with XT32 and sub EQ.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200
post #6420 of 8291 Old 03-24-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

jmpage, I imagine this years models will be HDMI 2.0. Id just wait i out and get the new model with XT32 and sub EQ.

OK., thanks for the info. I thought though that the X4000 already had XT32 and Sub-EQ.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2309ci Receiver , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon , Denon Electronics , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Denon Avr E200 , Denon Avr E300 , Denon Avr E400 , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page