The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 226 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6751 of 8406 Old 04-09-2014, 01:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Can any of the pre-outs on the X4000 be assigned for bi amping the front speakers via external amps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6752 of 8406 Old 04-09-2014, 02:36 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 1341
^^
Nope. The pre-outs are not assignable.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6753 of 8406 Old 04-09-2014, 02:46 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fede Gagliardi View Post

I'm about to die. My E300 shows Download Fail 3A and won't stop looping. I need you guys right now...don't know what to do!

Please review post #5 of this thread for procedure on doing a "network reset."

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #6754 of 8406 Old 04-09-2014, 02:48 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstloukal1 View Post

Just received as a bday present the x4000. Let's say I was pretty surprised by the wife. Will be setting it up this weekend but looking for thoughts on the sub side. My question is if I'm currently running 2 subs in my current system but am looking at running more that 2 subs shortly. would you recommend to "Y" one of the channels on the subs out if I'm looking to do 3 subs and "Y" both sub outs if I'm looking to do 4 subs or would you recommend going about it a different way.

Yup .......noting that the Y'd subs should ideally be identical and spaced equidistant from the main listening position (just as would be the case using a lower version of Audyssey).

post #6755 of 8406 Old 04-09-2014, 02:54 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbj24 View Post

It is indeed over heating (blinking once about every second). Is there anything specifically recommended for fan usage? Would be nice to have something on a thermostat or even powered by the avr so its not on when the avr is not on. I have been looking at "silent" computer fans and Im sure I can splice into a 12v adapter and throw it on top of the avr but I was wondering if there was a better choice.

Check your speaker wire connections on the back of the AVR as you likely have a loose strand from one post touching another post. As Tom suggests, CoolerGuys is a popular choice often recommended in this forum for fans of various types to include temperature controlled.

post #6756 of 8406 Old 04-09-2014, 02:57 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

I just bought a Martin Logan Motion 8(center channel), but its impedance is 4ohms. The AVR-E300 manual says that speakers should be between 6-16ohms. Am I hosed?

I actually have it on order. Should I cancel & get something else.

Thanks.

Not necessarily. At average volume levels it shouldn't pose a problem at all and even if you raise the volume higher it may still be fine as there is only a single speaker for the AVR to contend with. Depending on the efficiency of the speaker, you will likely have to raise the volume level higher than the FL/FR speakers. smile.gif

post #6757 of 8406 Old 04-09-2014, 05:42 AM

Liked: 10
I've been lurking this forum since I bought my X4000 back in February. At first all was well, but started to have problems couple weeks back that are similar to that reported by others. On occasions, the X4000 will shut down and start fast blinking. It can run for hours, even days without a problem. When it shuts down, I turn it off and wait about a minute and turn it back on. Always comes up, but once it shuts down it is likely to shutdown again within an hour. The last time was a couple days ago. Shutdown after working fine for nearly a week, Shutdown again about 15 minutes later, then again about 30 minutes after that. Then ran for the rest of the night (2 - 3 hours).

Running the latest firmware and driving seven 8-ohm speakers.

Contacted the dealer I bought it from and was told Denon does due exchanges and would have to contact warrantee for repair, but I'm doubtful that such an intermittent problem will get fixed.

...Fred
post #6758 of 8406 Old 04-09-2014, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

Not saying that's the situation here, just don't always assume vent fans are a guarantee.
There's a vented glass shelf 3-4 inches above the Denon and two large fans in the upper rear of that cabinet bay. There's an air intake directly under the front of where the amp sits.

Which sounds like a decent setup. I'd lean toward there being something wrong with the unit you've got.
post #6759 of 8406 Old 04-09-2014, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by A L Wong View Post

Can any of the pre-outs on the X4000 be assigned for bi amping the front speakers via external amps?

That would be pointless. Just split the signal with an RCA y cable.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #6760 of 8406 Old 04-09-2014, 07:03 AM

Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRocket View Post

I've been lurking this forum since I bought my X4000 back in February. At first all was well, but started to have problems couple weeks back that are similar to that reported by others. On occasions, the X4000 will shut down and start fast blinking. It can run for hours, even days without a problem. When it shuts down, I turn it off and wait about a minute and turn it back on. Always comes up, but once it shuts down it is likely to shutdown again within an hour. The last time was a couple days ago. Shutdown after working fine for nearly a week, Shutdown again about 15 minutes later, then again about 30 minutes after that. Then ran for the rest of the night (2 - 3 hours).

Contacted the dealer I bought it from and was told Denon does due exchanges and would have to contact warrantee for repair, but I'm doubtful that such an intermittent problem will get fixed.

...Fred

Some obviously-relevant information is missing from this post. Do you know what it is?

You know...AVR placement, air space, air movement, how warm/hot is it when it stops working, what are you listening to/at what volumes when it stops working, is there a difference in the temperature in your home now vs in Feb...?

Samsung PN60F5300, Sony PS3

Denon AVR-X1000

SVS PB-2000

Front-Center-Surround, Pioneer: FS52-C22-FS51

post #6761 of 8406 Old 04-09-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farley1 View Post

Some obviously-relevant information is missing from this post. Do you know what it is?
Quote:

...Fred

You know...AVR placement, air space, air movement, how warm/hot is it when it stops working, what are you listening to/at what volumes when it stops working, is there a difference in the temperature in your home now vs in Feb...?

The X4000 is in the same shelf as was my 4306 for the past 8 years without incident. It does seem a little warm, but not too bad. Besides, the fast blink is indicative of a speaker short or amp problem. According to the manual, a thermo problem would be indicated by a slow blink; mine definitely is fast blinking. Home temp has been pretty much constant around 70 deg; its heating season in the NE USA.

Problem does not appear to be source related, although it mostly occurs while watching HDTV sources through my Comcast X1 DVR (that's what's on mostly), it has occurred while listening 5.1 music sources through my Oppo player.

Volume level also does not appear to be an issue; has mostly shutdown at moderate TV viewing levels and once late at night when I had the volume unusually low as not to disturb sleeping spouse. Also seems to work just fine during those times I crank it up.

Shutdowns appear to be largely intermittent and random.

Thanks for taking interest.

...Fred
post #6762 of 8406 Old 04-09-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Fred,

Unfortunately, your description is consistent with a defective unit. You'll have to replace it.

Selden
post #6763 of 8406 Old 04-09-2014, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

I just bought a Martin Logan Motion 8(center channel), but its impedance is 4ohms. The AVR-E300 manual says that speakers should be between 6-16ohms. Am I hosed?

I actually have it on order. Should I cancel & get something else.

Thanks.
Get 2 and put them in series... ;-p
post #6764 of 8406 Old 04-09-2014, 01:01 PM

Liked: 11

Hey all another question,

Will audessy setup work with bi-amping on Denon avr x4000?

My setup

Monster Power Filter

PS3/PS4

DENON AVR-X4000

Klipsch Reference 5.1

- Center RC-35

- Sub RSW-12

- Two Tower RF-82 II (for front L/R) (Bi-amped)

- Two Bookshelf RB-35 (using as rear L/R)

SAMSUNG 40" LED 120 HZ (Model# UN40B7000WFXZA)

post #6765 of 8406 Old 04-09-2014, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Of course, it's still just one "channel" of content being played by one speaker, regardless of how many amps are being used for that speaker. Audyssey pings that channel, listens to what it hears, and creates the EQ filter. Doesn't matter if it's using one, two or seven amps to power that single speaker.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #6766 of 8406 Old 04-09-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAVRX4000 View Post

Hey all another question,

Will audessy setup work with bi-amping on Denon avr x4000?

Do bear in mind that using just the receiver, passive bi-amping does nothing useful:
1. Exactly the same signal is sent to both sets of drivers, just as it is when using a single amp, and exactly the same crossover networks (built into the speakers) are used to limit what gets to the drivers.
2. The amount of overhead power gained by separating the drivers is minimal: the upper frequency drivers require far less power than the woofers.
3. The total output is still limited by the receiver's single, shared power supply.

To get improved sound, you need to use "active bi-amping" with dedicated external electronic crossovers optimized for each driver, each driven by a dedicated amp with its own power supply. This takes a lot of work to do right, and is why "active speakers" (which are designed to do exactly this) are so expensive.

Selden
post #6767 of 8406 Old 04-09-2014, 02:23 PM

Liked: 11

Reason I asked about the audessy thing is I read (http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-51779/51750#user_b8) that sometimes it wont.

I realize its probably no real benefit based on what I have heard from listening to them.  Reason I set them up that way is because Klipsch rep said they sound clearer that way.

My setup

Monster Power Filter

PS3/PS4

DENON AVR-X4000

Klipsch Reference 5.1

- Center RC-35

- Sub RSW-12

- Two Tower RF-82 II (for front L/R) (Bi-amped)

- Two Bookshelf RB-35 (using as rear L/R)

SAMSUNG 40" LED 120 HZ (Model# UN40B7000WFXZA)

post #6768 of 8406 Old 04-09-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McStyvie View Post

For the question on the 3 or 4 subs with the X4000, the mini DSP is the best way to go in my opinion. I use it on my two subs (can go to 4 easily). It is a great piece of kit.

Get the 2x4 mini DSP and the two way advanced plug in. Also get the UMIK-1 mic and download the free REW. It sounds like a lot of work, but it is pretty much plug n play and you can use REW to automatically flatten your response.

Use the mini DSP to flatten your curve as much as possible and then run XT32 on top of that = Bass bliss.

Mini DSP 2 x 4

2-Way Advanced

It says it is for stereo, but you can PEQ all four subs with that. Also, I think it has a bit more flexibility than the 4-way because it allows you to set gain and lets you PEQ (6 biquads) EACH subwoofer in before you get to the 4 sub outs. The 4-way treats both ins as ONE until you get to the 4 outs (both offer PEQ on all four outs though). The 4-way offers a 4-way crossover as opposed to a two-way.

If that is confusing, look at the diagrams in the data sheets on the products linked and you will see what I mean.

Thanks for this information. I will do some research into this. Will it mater much that I am running my currents subs with Behringer 3000dsp's and 6000dsp's and I am currently eq'ing them through the Behringer dsp function. I already have the curves pretty good this way and the additional subs will be done the same way with the same amps
post #6769 of 8406 Old 04-09-2014, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ablevy View Post

Thanks, eventually figured that out myself and will try that tonight. Not sure which I hope for more .

I am having the same exact issue with my X2000. Weird.

Buncha savages in this town....

Sam Posten
post #6770 of 8406 Old 04-09-2014, 10:40 PM

Hello,

I bought the Denon X3000 around Christmas-time, and it has been working quite well since then. Around end of February 2014 the receiver wanted to update itself, so I told it to go ahead. Ever since then, quite often we have 2 issues:

1) The screen is full of red dots (see attached image). Toggling the input to something and then back fixes the issue, but sometimes we need to do this 5-6-10 times before the screen clears up.
2) The receiver doesn't want to detect the sound. We have a Raspberry PI running XBMC transferring sound over via HDMI. The video comes on fine, but there is no sound. Stopping the video and restarting it usually fixes the issue, but again, sometimes we need to do this 5-6 times before the sound comes on.

Any suggestions? Is it possible to downgrade the firmware? Thank you!

2.jpg 362k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (362.0 KB, 28 views)
post #6771 of 8406 Old 04-10-2014, 03:27 AM
585-645-1006

^^
You can't downgrade the firmware, but you may want to try doing a reset as noted in post #5 of this thread. You may also want to try replacing the HDMI cables if not purchased from a reliable source (eg. Monoprice or Blue Jeans Cables).

post #6772 of 8406 Old 04-10-2014, 03:33 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath View Post

I am having the same exact issue with my X2000. Weird.

The OP you quoted never reported back in this thread, but apparently he did end up getting Amazon to exchange it which resolved the issue for him.

post #6773 of 8406 Old 04-10-2014, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Does everybody immediately update the firmware on their X-series receivers? If I don't need any of the features included in the firmware update, and everything is working perfectly in my system, I don't update. Certainly there are tens of thousands of owners that complete firmware updates with no issues, but there are cases where the update has had some sort of negative effect, even leading to replacing the receiver. Is there some compelling reason to update firmware that I am missing?
post #6774 of 8406 Old 04-10-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

No, you're not missing anything. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Some people have been trying to use features that the updates are supposed to fix, so for them the updates can be important.

However, I suspect a few people just can't stand having equipment that isn't running the latest-and-greatest,whether or not they actually use the affected options. After all, if new firmware updates are available, they must make things better, right? Sadly, too often that viewpoint is wrong. frown.gif After all, these aren't security updates for Windows.

Selden
post #6775 of 8406 Old 04-10-2014, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Also if you're hesitant, another advantage of waiting is that the servers experience the highest traffic loads right after the firmware is released meaning you are more likely to get a slow download or even a failure. Waiting a couple of weeks means you are more likely to get a clean download.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #6776 of 8406 Old 04-10-2014, 07:45 PM

Just got the E400 and I am having a problem with apple tv connected to it via hdmi. It's hooked up to the media pc hdmi input. Video works fine but I can only get 2 channel audio. I have dolby turned on in the apple settings. I play the same apps with my sony bluray connected to the E400 via hdmi and get dolby digital + just fine. Is there something I'm missing with that input. I didn't change anything with the intial setup with any of the inputs. Bluray and cable/sat work fine.
post #6777 of 8406 Old 04-10-2014, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
OK, after about a week of setting up my new X4000, I have two questions I have been unable to resolve:

1) With my 2311CI, I had my LD player set up such that the video input (composite) was coupled with the digital audio on one set of inputs, and an unused label had the AC-3 audio and was directed to use the same source for the video. This way I had my choice of audio coupled with the same video stream. On the X4000, all attempts to do the same via the input setup don't work: it will only let me use a given video source (composite 3, in this case) once. I define the primary audio/video pair on one channel, but as soon as I try to assign the same video source to another, the first blanks out... is there another way to do this that I am missing?

2) I have my region-free DVD player hooked up via HDMI to the GAME (4) input. When setting the memory presets, I found that most of the audio options (Setup --> Audio --> Subwoofer Level, for example) were unavailable. Is the GAME input limited in the configuration options relative to the others (2 - DVD, 3 - Blu-ray)?

Thanks!

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

post #6778 of 8406 Old 04-10-2014, 11:35 PM

I have been reading this and other forums for hours and looking for an answer to a simple question.

I just got the e400 and I think it meets most of my needs. However, I haven't opened it yet because I want to verify something that scares me with the inputs.

I am glad it has 6 HDMI, but I am a little confused about the other inputs. There are component and composite as well as Optical and Coaxial sound. If I am using all HDMI ports (say Xbox 360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, Toshiba HD DVD, video camera), can I also use the component? It looks like it's an either/OR. My friend said some receivers can detect which input is on and use it, so in theory I could have my Panasonic DVD with component & Optical plugged in also. Then depending on what's on, it would use either the HDMI device or the component. I imagine if both are on, then HDMI might "win."

Is this anywhere near what is going on with the e400? Because if not, I think I am loosing a lot of connections even though it looks like I have them. It would mean the max this receiver could receive would be 6 HDMI and one analog (CD player).

Help?
post #6779 of 8406 Old 04-11-2014, 02:51 AM
585-645-1006

Yes, you can use all the inputs and stack analog inputs using the same source name noting that if the HDMI source is active it will indeed take priority.

post #6780 of 8406 Old 04-11-2014, 03:15 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader424242 View Post

OK, after about a week of setting up my new X4000, I have two questions I have been unable to resolve:

1) With my 2311CI, I had my LD player set up such that the video input (composite) was coupled with the digital audio on one set of inputs, and an unused label had the AC-3 audio and was directed to use the same source for the video. This way I had my choice of audio coupled with the same video stream. On the X4000, all attempts to do the same via the input setup don't work: it will only let me use a given video source (composite 3, in this case) once. I define the primary audio/video pair on one channel, but as soon as I try to assign the same video source to another, the first blanks out... is there another way to do this that I am missing?

2) I have my region-free DVD player hooked up via HDMI to the GAME (4) input. When setting the memory presets, I found that most of the audio options (Setup --> Audio --> Subwoofer Level, for example) were unavailable. Is the GAME input limited in the configuration options relative to the others (2 - DVD, 3 - Blu-ray)?

Thanks!

1. All Denon models work the same in this respect to include your 2311CI and the newer X4000. Although you can use the same source name for different audio sources (using the INPUT MODE setting to change between HDMI, digital, analog audio), a video source can only be used once.

2. I don't use the GAME HDMI input, however when I selected it, I experienced the same issue; however, once I switched my PS3 HDMI cable over to the GAME HDMI input, I was then able to see the same settings I see on the Blu Ray HDMI input.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2309ci Receiver , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon , Denon Electronics , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Denon Avr E200 , Denon Avr E300 , Denon Avr E400 , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page