The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 229 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6841 of 8165 Old 04-14-2014, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I almost hate to post here as the thread is so damn long. I'll TRY to make it Quick. A Few Questions Please.biggrin.gif:D

I bought 2 DENON AVR-X2000 for $399 each. Both were Open Boxes, but the well known vendor ran out the "Open Box", so I got 2 Brand New Ones:D I am using one Receiver in my Living Room to go with a New Samsung 8000 3DTV that I just hung Above my Fireplace. I have EMP TEK Speakeras coming this week for Living Room.

In Living Room:

2 Bookshelves up in Alcoves, 1of their Largest Centers under TV, 2 rear surrounds behind me up 10 feet on wall, and am about to get a PSA XV15 Sub that will go in back left Corner. Here is a PIC of my room. The Receiver is in Bottom Right Cabinet

I also got a 2nd Receiver that is unopened and will eventually go upstairs in my Media Room. Also Got 3 EMP TEL Speakers to replace my Front 3 Polk Audio RC85i In-Wall Speakers.

In Media Room:

About to order 2 Subs (PSA XV15's or XS30's) to go in front L & R Corner

EMP TEK Large Towers to the Left and Right of Projector Screen, Large Center under middle of screen on stand, then I will leave the other 4 Polk RC85i's in their current location. I'm also painting front 3 speakers to match room color.

-About to Upgrade my Mitsubishi HC1500 720P Projector to an Epson 6030UB 3D Projector.

My Question

Since the Receiver is only a week old and unopened and Brand New, I can still return it. Should I upgrade to the AVR-X4000 Receiver for my Media Room? I hear it has Sub EQ and some other stuff, BUT it will cost me an EXTRA $500:rolleyes:

I will also get more Power to drive my speakers. 125watts vs. 95 watts on the X2000.

Is it worth spending $500 for the 4000? Or should I consider anything else? The Media Room is my Main Room, and NOW after I upgrade everything, it should be a nice sounding Room in addition to looking pretty good IMO:D. I built the screen and did all the work in the Media Room Myself and it was a huge PITA! But, I am glad I did it.

Please help guys! I am ready to do something NOW. Ordering Sub and Projector tomorrow and my EMP TEL Speakers will arrive this week!

Thanks so much....

The Bandit....................

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6842 of 8165 Old 04-14-2014, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 890
Yes it's worth it. XT32 is the real deal. And not to be judgemental but from the looks of your beautiful house you can afford it smile.gif why go that far and then skimp on the processor? One thing if it's a casual living room setup but for a sweet dedicated theater might as well get the good stuff. Plus you have expansion options if you decide you want to go to 9 ch and/or add beefier external amps.
ambesolman likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #6843 of 8165 Old 04-14-2014, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Based on your media room and the toys you have, it does not look like 500 dollars is gonna hurt you. Go for the x4000 for sure. And get more subs while you are at it. smile.gif

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
post #6844 of 8165 Old 04-14-2014, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoupebandit View Post

I almost hate to post here as the thread is so damn long. I'll TRY to make it Quick. A Few Questions Please.biggrin.gif:D

I bought 2 DENON AVR-X2000 for $399 each. Both were Open Boxes, but the well known vendor ran out the "Open Box", so I got 2 Brand New Ones:D I am using one Receiver in my Living Room to go with a New Samsung 8000 3DTV that I just hung Above my Fireplace. I have EMP TEK Speakeras coming this week for Living Room.

In Living Room:

2 Bookshelves up in Alcoves, 1of their Largest Centers under TV, 2 rear surrounds behind me up 10 feet on wall, and am about to get a PSA XV15 Sub that will go in back left Corner. Here is a PIC of my room. The Receiver is in Bottom Right Cabinet

I also got a 2nd Receiver that is unopened and will eventually go upstairs in my Media Room. Also Got 3 EMP TEL Speakers to replace my Front 3 Polk Audio RC85i In-Wall Speakers.

In Media Room:

About to order 2 Subs (PSA XV15's or XS30's) to go in front L & R Corner

EMP TEK Large Towers to the Left and Right of Projector Screen, Large Center under middle of screen on stand, then I will leave the other 4 Polk RC85i's in their current location. I'm also painting front 3 speakers to match room color.

-About to Upgrade my Mitsubishi HC1500 720P Projector to an Epson 6030UB 3D Projector.

My Question

Since the Receiver is only a week old and unopened and Brand New, I can still return it. Should I upgrade to the AVR-X4000 Receiver for my Media Room? I hear it has Sub EQ and some other stuff, BUT it will cost me an EXTRA $500:rolleyes:

I will also get more Power to drive my speakers. 125watts vs. 95 watts on the X2000.

Is it worth spending $500 for the 4000? Or should I consider anything else? The Media Room is my Main Room, and NOW after I upgrade everything, it should be a nice sounding Room in addition to looking pretty good IMO:D. I built the screen and did all the work in the Media Room Myself and it was a huge PITA! But, I am glad I did it.

Please help guys! I am ready to do something NOW. Ordering Sub and Projector tomorrow and my EMP TEL Speakers will arrive this week!

Thanks so much....

The Bandit....................

Go for X4000. I come from Denon 3803 and my new x4000 was a huge upgrade. You have a very nice theather room and I think X4000 will be a great choice!!! XT32 is a big plus to have it will set you speakers very nice. Did you consider SVS sub? Or PSA is your only choice?

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-82II's
Klipsch RC-62II
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
PS3,Mac mini
Sony KDF-60XS955
post #6845 of 8165 Old 04-15-2014, 02:50 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Quote:

I almost hate to post here as the thread is so damn long. I'll TRY to make it Quick.

I've never understood this logic. What does the length of the thread matter if the questions are being answered? confused.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6846 of 8165 Old 04-15-2014, 04:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

I've never understood this logic. What does the length of the thread matter if the questions are being answered? confused.gif

Right:  It's not the length--it's what you do with it! :cool: 

post #6847 of 8165 Old 04-15-2014, 06:59 AM

Liked: 10
I have a very basic question that's probably been answered (or is common knowledge for most of you here), but here goes...

I have an E300, got it all hooked up and the pass-through of my cable box is working just fine. Will it do pass-through of my blu ray player too? My player only has 1 HDMI out, but does have digital audio out as well. Not that it's a big deal, but I'm just curious if there's a way to play a blu ray without turning on the receiver.

Thanks!
post #6848 of 8165 Old 04-15-2014, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:

I'll TRY to make it Quick. A Few Questions Please.

Beautiful home red! smile.gif

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #6849 of 8165 Old 04-15-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by McStyvie View Post

Based on your media room and the toys you have, it does not look like 500 dollars is gonna hurt you. Go for the x4000 for sure. And get more subs while you are at it. smile.gif

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

If I had to stare up over a fireplace to watch TV in my great room you'd be better off just scooping my eyes out with a melon baller.
post #6850 of 8165 Old 04-15-2014, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 890
Sometimes you have to concede to aesthetics. In this case he can console his sorrow by venturing to his gorgeous dedicated theater room! biggrin.gif
jmpage2 likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #6851 of 8165 Old 04-15-2014, 08:59 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazztalker View Post

I have a very basic question that's probably been answered (or is common knowledge for most of you here), but here goes...

I have an E300, got it all hooked up and the pass-through of my cable box is working just fine. Will it do pass-through of my blu ray player too? My player only has 1 HDMI out, but does have digital audio out as well. Not that it's a big deal, but I'm just curious if there's a way to play a blu ray without turning on the receiver.

Thanks!

The AVR can pass one HDMI source through while the unit is in Standby. The default HDMI Standby Source is "CBL/SAT" however, this can be changed to one of the other HDMI inputs as well (eg. Blu Ray) while the unit is on and then when the unit is in Standby it will pass the Blu Ray source.
jazztalker likes this.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #6852 of 8165 Old 04-15-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzilla View Post

Does anyone know where to reference the firmware version numbers? I have a new e400 with a manufacture date of 312 (or Dec 2013). It has firmware version of 8400-8584-0630

What do you think the date of that firmware is?

I ask only because I don't want to update the firmware if it's recent (at least the 12/8/13 or 2/26/14) but if it's a lot older I will update it.

I couldn't find the date in the menus but it did come back as saying there is a new update available.

Any help would be appreciated.

DON'T. If anything goes wrong with the update, server, whatever, you could end up having a huge black brick next to your TV. Mine was almost dead and after connecting it directly to my modem I could finally bring it to life again, but never could finish the update. 

Updates are meant to be done ONLY when something's wrong with your unit, Denon's webpage says it. Receivers are not as easy as other electronic devices to mess up with, it's UI is not prepared.

post #6853 of 8165 Old 04-15-2014, 11:41 AM

Liked: 12
Has anyone attempted to contact Denon or Apple about the asinine situation with AirPlay volume? Since iTunes 11, it is no longer possible to disable volume control from AirPlay speakers, so the AVR volume is dynamically linked to the volume slider in iTunes. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I want iTunes to always be pumping out full-volume, unmolested audio. Not only is the quality of the audio being degraded as iTunes digitally alters the volume, in some cases, I'm unable to play music loud enough because the volume is artificially limited on the AVR as it hits the top of the slider in iTunes.

I know this is the way crappy little Bluetooth speakers should work, and I assume Apple wants all AirPlay devices to function to the same spec, but my AVR is not a dumpy little wireless speaker! I'm more or less resigned to the fact that I'm going to have to go back to my external AirPort Express to get unmolested, bit perfect audio. Before I totally give up, though, I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck getting a response from Apple or Denon about this situation.
ambesolman likes this.
post #6854 of 8165 Old 04-15-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangs View Post

I want iTunes to always be pumping out full-volume, unmolested audio. Not only is the quality of the audio being degraded as iTunes digitally alters the volume

I thought AirPlay simply sends the stream with no volume information, i.e. the volume is metadata used by the AVR to set its own volume. I doubt the quality of the stream is being degraded when the volume in iTunes (or the system volume) is not set to the max.

post #6855 of 8165 Old 04-15-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

I doubt the quality of the stream is being degraded when the volume in iTunes (or the system volume) is not set to the max.

Well, something bad is happening, because AirPlay sounds like crap through the Denon AVR (E-400) compared to my old Airport Express. It's bad enough that I almost wonder if it's being compressed down to 128kbps AAC or something stupid like that. I've got the AVR set to "Pure," so I don't think any of its post-processing is to blame.
post #6856 of 8165 Old 04-15-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangs View Post

Well, something bad is happening, because AirPlay sounds like crap through the Denon AVR (E-400) compared to my old Airport Express. It's bad enough that I almost wonder if it's being compressed down to 128kbps AAC or something stupid like that. I've got the AVR set to "Pure," so I don't think any of its post-processing is to blame.

Not sure what is happening, but googling around shows that AirPlay uses ALAC (Apple Lossless) for compressing streams, at least up to 44.1 kHz. So CD-quality tracks should remain the same in principle.

I'm not sure what happens, say, on networks that aren't capable of the required bitrate. Perhaps packet loss induce distortion, or AirPlay negotiates a stronger compression... Do you know if your network is up to speed, so to speak?

post #6857 of 8165 Old 04-15-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

Not sure what is happening, but googling around shows that AirPlay uses ALAC (Apple Lossless) for compressing streams, at least up to 44.1 kHz. So CD-quality tracks should remain the same in principle.

I'm not sure what happens, say, on networks that aren't capable of the required bitrate. Perhaps packet loss induce distortion, or AirPlay negotiates a stronger compression... Do you know if your network is up to speed, so to speak?

Nothing has changed about my network set up. In fact, the Denon is plugged into the very same network cable and port that the Airport Express was.
post #6858 of 8165 Old 04-15-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fede Gagliardi View Post

DON'T. If anything goes wrong with the update, server, whatever, you could end up having a huge black brick next to your TV. Mine was almost dead and after connecting it directly to my modem I could finally bring it to life again, but never could finish the update. 
Updates are meant to be done ONLY when something's wrong with your unit, Denon's webpage says it. Receivers are not as easy as other electronic devices to mess up with, it's UI is not prepared.

Whatever it says on Denon's website, the updates are NOT only for "when something's wrong with your unit."

You know, I have done upgrades to my Denon 4310, 3910disc player and X4000 without any problems. The updates fixed bugs in the software for each unit or (in the case of the 3910) added an important feature.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #6859 of 8165 Old 04-15-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Has anyone with an X4000 been able to LOAD a configuration saved before the last firmware update? I have not. Configurations saved after the last FW update load fine. (I want to load the older configs because I'm "investigating" the possibility of other "anomalies" since then.)

Edit: wow, coincidence, FW questions. I also agree that traditionally FW updates were "for everybody", but I still never do them right away.
post #6860 of 8165 Old 04-15-2014, 02:52 PM

Liked: 18
Has anyone tested the subwoofer pre-out voltage on the E300?
I currently have a 2113 and it has a hard time driving a pro amp unless the sub trim is max, and volume is above -20.
I need a budget receiver that will drive a pro amp, and if the E300 is the same as the 2113 for pre out voltage, then I will have to look elsewhere.

Thanks in advance for any help.
post #6861 of 8165 Old 04-15-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

Whatever it says on Denon's website, the updates are NOT only for "when something's wrong with your unit."

You know, I have done upgrades to my Denon 4310, 3910disc player and X4000 without any problems. The updates fixed bugs in the software for each unit or (in the case of the 3910) added an important feature.

I've done it too and didn't have problems until this time, but the process is too risky and I do not recommend doing it if it's not necessary.

Like I said before, we don't have enought tools to fix whatever happens during the update, and that would be an important thing for Denon (and all the others) to improve.

post #6862 of 8165 Old 04-15-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:

The AVR can pass one HDMI source through while the unit is in Standby. The default HDMI Standby Source is "CBL/SAT" however, this can be changed to one of the other HDMI inputs as well (eg. Blu Ray) while the unit is on and then when the unit is in Standby it will pass the Blu Ray source.

Perfect, thank you!
post #6863 of 8165 Old 04-15-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:

^^
Try unplugging the Zone 2 pre-outs. As long as you have AMP ASSIGN set to Zone 2, there's no reason it shouldn't work with the Zone 2 speakers connected to the Surr Back speaker posts. Works fine on my X4000 in this configuration and actually doesn't matter whether the HDMI Out (Zone 2) is set to PCM or Through, the HDMI audio still comes through from the DTV box.

Finally got the Zone 2 speakers to work with some assistance from Denon. The key was that the source needed to be set to PCM. Playstation 3 uses PCM and it worked thru the Zone 2 speakers. The cable/sat box (Cisco Uverse box) had to be set to stereo. Setting the Cisco box to stereo must force it to use PCM. Changing the Cisco box back to surround sound setting, no audio from the Zone 2 speakers.

Now that I've finally gotten this resolved now ready to move on to using my old AVR as a amp. I've included a picture below with the X-4000 pre outs inputs circled that I'm using to plug into the CD inputs on the old AVR. Are these the correct ports? So I run RCA red/white cables to the CD inputs on the old avr and select CD as the source, correct? I've checked and AMP ASSIGN is set to Zone 2. Anything else?

L_03.jpg 1309k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L_03.jpg (1.28 MB, 22 views)
post #6864 of 8165 Old 04-15-2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

Well, I am pretty hesitant myself. I just was curious if I was too many versions back. In that case I probably would upgrade. But looking at the upgrades from the last two updates in the log, I would think I don't need the most recent anyway. I guess I will wait.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I appreciate it.
post #6865 of 8165 Old 04-16-2014, 03:17 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvfan2 View Post

Finally got the Zone 2 speakers to work with some assistance from Denon. The key was that the source needed to be set to PCM. Playstation 3 uses PCM and it worked thru the Zone 2 speakers. The cable/sat box (Cisco Uverse box) had to be set to stereo. Setting the Cisco box to stereo must force it to use PCM. Changing the Cisco box back to surround sound setting, no audio from the Zone 2 speakers.

Now that I've finally gotten this resolved now ready to move on to using my old AVR as a amp. I've included a picture below with the X-4000 pre outs inputs circled that I'm using to plug into the CD inputs on the old AVR. Are these the correct ports? So I run RCA red/white cables to the CD inputs on the old avr and select CD as the source, correct? I've checked and AMP ASSIGN is set to Zone 2. Anything else?

L_03.jpg 1309k .jpg file

Note that this requirement (ie PCM/stereo) is only specific to some cable/sat boxes like your Cisco box as my DirecTV box is able to be left at Dolby Digital and will downmix to stereo when passing audio to Zone 2 so I don't have to make any adjustments, rather I can still watch an HD channel broadcasting DD 5.1 and it will pass audio to Zone 2. This requirement also likely means you would not be able to use the Standby Pass through feature with the Cisco box unless it was set to stereo as well as most TVs cannot accept a DD 5.1 signal. Regarding what inputs to use, it doesn't matter what analog inputs you use on the old AVR, so CD will be fine.

post #6866 of 8165 Old 04-16-2014, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Now this is one incredible thread, and although my question has probably been answered in it somewhere I have not been able to find by search, and it would take me forever to read every page. 

I just received my Denon X1000 today and should have two JBL 530 tomorrow and a matching center channel Friday. I am considering adding a subwoofer next month and after looking at the back of my AVR I'm not sure how to do this. I know it has got to be simple but could someone please explain how this is done.

Thank you for your consideration of this newbie question, and any response is truly appreciated.

post #6867 of 8165 Old 04-16-2014, 05:03 PM
585-645-1006

^^

You'll want to connect a coax digital cable from the sub to the Subwoofer pre-out on the back of the X1000 as noted in the image below.

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10236

98Harley likes this.

post #6868 of 8165 Old 04-16-2014, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thank you jdsmoothie, you must type much faster than I do, and I very much appreciate your response to my question even before it was asked here.

I just picked up my AVR again and saw what I had missed previously, the subwoofer under digital. I have not yet taken the plastic off and that may have been why I missed it.

Again, thank you so much, and I may have some more questions once my speakers get here.

post #6869 of 8165 Old 04-16-2014, 05:10 PM
585-645-1006

^^
That's what this thread is for. smile.gif
Dig and Spike and 98Harley like this.

post #6870 of 8165 Old 04-16-2014, 10:35 PM

Color me happy as hell after reading a ton threads including this one weighing in all the pros and cons of all other receivers until my eyes dried out I decided on purchasing a Denon AVR-X2000 to replace my now dead Onkyo TX-NR609, I'm really looking forward to playing this bad boy and seeing how it sounds!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2309ci Receiver , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon , Denon Electronics , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Denon Avr E200 , Denon Avr E300 , Denon Avr E400 , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page