The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 235 - AVS Forum
First ... 233  234  235 236  237  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ
wkearney99's Avatar wkearney99 02:40 PM 04-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

You might have to put a packet sniffer between the Denon and the rest of the network to see what is going on... you could run a packet capture up until the problem occurs and then look at the resulting output to see if some unusual network condition happens at that time, or if the Denon sends something on the network that looks abnormal.
How are they making their network connection?

The fact that you have the same problem on more than one X4000 leans toward them having a problem with how the network is set up. What network switches & routers are involved here? What lengths of cable and what switches are involved between all the stuff?

Might it be possible to add a small network switch for these to isolate their Ethernet traffic, as a test?

What ISP are you using?

Any chance there's power issues? Blips to power can be problematic for network gear. I run everything that's networkable through UPSes. We have a generator, so the UPSes are only there to manage the power and keep the devices running until the genset starts.

I find it's very useful to make sure whatever's set up for issuing DHCP on the network has 'reservations' set up for the static gear. This way should there be anything wrong with the configuration on the devices they'll get the specific addresses I intend for them. Sort of 'belt and suspenders' for addressing. No, you "don't have to" do this, but it's a pretty painless way to avoid confusion. NOTE: some (most?) DHCP reservations can also be set up OUTSIDE of the normally issued range. So while regular DHCP requests will come from the pool, ones from the "pseudo-static" gear will get their reserved ones from outside that set. I've got mine set up that way, lots of stuff is outside the 100-164 range, but still set up as a DHCP reservation. Works nicely.

wkearney99's Avatar wkearney99 02:43 PM 04-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Grooms View Post

The front IR is active even when an external IR device is plugged into the rear of the unit.
Just great, whaddya wanna bet the front one will still pick up stray signals even if I try to totally cover the port..
Dan in St. Louis's Avatar Dan in St. Louis 03:00 PM 04-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

How are they making their network connection?
It varies. Some of our customers have little enough gear that an Ethernet port on the router, or the local Access Point, can be used. Others have more hardware and we use Gigabit-rated Ethernet switches to feed the A/V equipment.

In the most recent system the edge router is from Apple and is serving DHCP on the 10.0.1.xxx subnet. The router (and default gateway) is 10.0.1.1. Our control equipment is using 10.0.1.5, 6 and 7.

There is no IP video on the LAN, but we install fast switches anyway, usually the Trendnet pro line with the metal cases. Ethernet cables are generally under 50 feet. We keep the network as flat as possible, minimize daisy-chains through several switches or access points. In today's case it is edge gateway (Apple router) > switch > Denon. I think their ISP is Charter Cable -- they usually give 192.168.1.1 to the nearest router, which is why its local side became 10.0.1.xxx.

I am considering getting that Apple router out of there. Too many times it seems like they do things "their way" regardless of our intentions.

Thanks -- Dan in St. Louis
wkearney99's Avatar wkearney99 03:21 PM 04-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis View Post

I am considering getting that Apple router out of there. Too many times it seems like they do things "their way" regardless of our intentions.
+1 to that idea. Networking can be done simply, but not at the expense of being able to do "the complicated things" when necessary. No way in Hell I'd trust that Apple gear would actually let those parts be configured properly. Sure, they make a range of stuff that lots of folks find appealing, but I'd pass on their networking gear.

You mention charter handing out 192.168.x.x addresses? So the customer is behind a double-NAT? I'd wonder if that's contributing to the nonsense..
Dan in St. Louis's Avatar Dan in St. Louis 03:55 PM 04-25-2014
Quote:

You mention charter handing out 192.168.x.x addresses? So the customer is behind a double-NAT? I'd wonder if that's contributing to the nonsense..
We have not had problems with that in the past. The challenge is that their cable modems only have one Ethernet port, so we would have to attach either a switch or an access point there anyway.

And the other client having the same kind of trouble is not on Charter so we can stick to 192.168.1.xxx without introducing another box into the chain. In any case, everything is still on one subnet. Only the Charter-to-edge-router is 192.168.xxx.yyy.

Thanks!

--Dan in St. Louis
jmpage2's Avatar jmpage2 03:57 PM 04-25-2014
Quote:

Just great, whaddya wanna bet the front one will still pick up stray signals even if I try to totally cover the port..

That's exactly what was happening with mine even though I tried masking the sensor on the front with some electrical tape. It's a crappy design. Plugging in the IR input at the rear should disable the front IR or there should at least be a config option for this, as it is not uncommon to use an IR extender but have some IR bleed-through occurring.

I finally just pretty much gave up and have to point the remote directly at the thing.
Tom Grooms's Avatar Tom Grooms 05:10 PM 04-25-2014
If you're using IR in the same room as the equipment, just attach an IR emmitter to the front of the unit.
James Parsons's Avatar James Parsons 06:46 PM 04-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Parsons View Post

FYI, although Amazon's and Best Buy's prices have risen, Crutchfield still has the $299.99 price for the Denon AVR-X1000.

Crutchfield is now completely sold out of the Denon AVR-X1000. The new year's model is probably on its way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yargok View Post

Apparently the E400 is discontinued, hence the recent price cuts per Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-E400-Channel-Networking-Receiver/dp/B00B7X2OTY

Ditto for the Denon AVR-E400.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 07:06 PM 04-25-2014
Quote:

What options exist to improve the IR sensitivity on the X3000?

The 'cone' of sensitivity is pretty poor. The manual indicates the avr can accept external IR plugged into the back. So whose IR repeater should I consider for this? And will plugging one into that jack disable the one on the front?

Right now the x3000 is on an exposed shelf. It will eventually be enclosed in a (ventilated) cabinet. So for now I'd want to make sure the unit didn't get double IR commands.

Any suggestions on the right IR choice to consider?

If you have a plasma TV, you may also want to consider it as a source of IR interference.
MACEDK's Avatar MACEDK 03:30 AM 04-26-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACEDK View Post

Hello everyone

New here. I have had my Denon X3000 for about three months now, really appreciate it, it's been running super smooth, up until now.

Story short, i had to turn off the power to move my blu ray, and when i turned everything back on, i had no internet-connection to my receiver.

I have tried searching everywhere, but can't find any answers as what to do. I have tried resetting the receiver (several times), as well as my router (several times), as well as several different cables etc. I'm getting paranoid :).. 

Any ideas before i contact the shop where i bought my receiver?

Many thanks in advance

Mace.

EDIT: It's not just that there is no wireless, it can not make access to the network router .. Also on the back of the router where the RJ45 goes into, the small "signal-light" doesn't come on .. 

Just to let you all know what happened. The network-card was broken and replaces by warranty. The cost of this (paid by the dealer) here i Denmark was around 3800DKK or around 700USD!!!

jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 04:49 AM 04-26-2014
^^
Thanks for posting back with the outcome. The network card is part of the HDMI board. So then, a warning to those of you considering buying a refurbished unit which only comes with a 1 year warranty ... you'll also want to purchase a 3-5 year extended warranty as well otherwise as noted above, the out of warranty repair of the HDMI board is quite costly.
Jonc123's Avatar Jonc123 05:47 AM 04-26-2014
I have purchased the X1000, new. The only things I have connected to it are a BD player, TV and a hard wired internet connection that goes to my ATT Uverse router. I also control it from my laptop which works fine. I can save and load the configeration file also. When things are working a 100% all of the internet & media streaming from my Windows Media player in my laptop work instantly.

The first problem that I was having was with SiriusXM internet subscription. It was working fine for a week or two, then started getting the "Server Disconnected" messages and the 1000 would default to the next channel in the lineup and the same thing would happen. This went on for a week. At this point, it is now working properly. I did try signing out of SXM and try listening on the laptop and it would work fine. I will add while I was having the problem I tried everything that I found in this thread when problems arise...none of them worked. Just out of the blue one day it decdided to work. Another person in this forum was also having this problem.

Now a second problem has cropped up. When trying to listen to Pandora, SXM or internet radio or my media in Windows Media Player I hear nothing...until I turn up the volume nearly all the way and I do hear the music playing. Along with the music you do hear some static...more so when you stop the source and are listening to silence. The BD player works fine as does the tuner and the TV hooked up with an optical cable. I have tried resetting things (multiple times) and even trying a different data cable which is brand new. This one has me stumped, it looks like it might have to go back.

Any help would be appreciated, I will check back in later this evening.

Thanks,
Jon
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 05:54 AM 04-26-2014
^^
If you have reset both the X1000 and the modem/router to no avail, and both have the most current firmware update, then the unit will likely have to be exchanged. frown.gif
Jonc123's Avatar Jonc123 06:06 AM 04-26-2014
^^Thats what I figured. Thank you for the help.
SydBarrett's Avatar SydBarrett 07:10 AM 04-26-2014

hello, all, i actually started a new thread for this when i should've just posted here. New x2000 out of the box and i can't get the setup assistant on my tv, nor any kind of onscreen menu. I tried changing hdmi cables and even hdmi ports on my tv. What am i missing?

SydBarrett's Avatar SydBarrett 07:28 AM 04-26-2014

Actually, I'm getting no video at all but am getting sound from my Game input for my ps3. Faulty HDMI out perhaps?

jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 08:32 AM 04-26-2014
^^
Looks like you solved it already in the other thread. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by SydBarrett View Post

After unplugging and replugging in the unit, the hdmi cables, etc. for over an hour, it's finally working smile.gif

addNameHere's Avatar addNameHere 08:59 AM 04-26-2014
I just got an x3000 and I am having an issue getting zone 2 to work like I expect. I thought the two zones can be independent. I am using the zone 2 pre-outs. All my inputs are hdmi. Zone 2 seems to only work if the main zone is using the same source. If I change the main source to be different than zone 2, then zone 2 stops working. Thanks for any help.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 09:09 AM 04-26-2014
^^
The HDMI source you're trying to pass to Zone 2 must be Stereo PCM 2.0 audio otherwise set the HDMI Audio setting (p. 173 OM) to "PCM".

SydBarrett's Avatar SydBarrett 09:19 AM 04-26-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Looks like you solved it already in the other thread. smile.gif

It was really bizarre, thats never happened to me before. I literally unplugged/replugged and turned the system on and off a good 6 or 7 times. Then reset the microprocessor, unplugged/replugged a few times and magically it started working. I was pulling my hair out for over an hour but now audessey is done, manual changes are done, etc. Great upgrade over the 790 although i still love that receiver.
addNameHere's Avatar addNameHere 10:50 AM 04-26-2014
When I change zone 2 to PCM, I do not get sound in either zone.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 10:54 AM 04-26-2014
^^
What source is selected in the main zone and what source is selected in Zone 2? Try powering off the unit and unplug it for 10 minutes and then try again.
addNameHere's Avatar addNameHere 12:55 PM 04-26-2014
Well, I tried that and no change. I just have two input sources now - cable and htpc (connected to bluray input). I seems the issue has something to do with the htpc. I can play the htpc in both zones, the cable in both zones, htpc in main and cable in zone 2, but not htpc in zone 2 and cable in main. I also tried this input source swizzle with hdmi audio format in zone 2 as pcm and through, and the behavior is the same. I tried changing the zone 2 hdmi audio format while on the bluray input, and I would have to turn off/on the receiver sometimes (not always) to get sound to come back on.
jsrhino's Avatar jsrhino 02:43 PM 04-26-2014
For those looking to pickup the X-2000, several stores have it for $399 including World Wide Stereo (at their store and through their Amazon store with Prime Shipping).

Enjoy!
retro124's Avatar retro124 02:49 PM 04-26-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrhino View Post

For those looking to pickup the X-2000, several stores have it for $399 including World Wide Stereo (at their store and through their Amazon store with Prime Shipping).

Enjoy!

jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 03:22 PM 04-26-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by addNameHere View Post

Well, I tried that and no change. I just have two input sources now - cable and htpc (connected to bluray input). I seems the issue has something to do with the htpc. I can play the htpc in both zones, the cable in both zones, htpc in main and cable in zone 2, but not htpc in zone 2 and cable in main. I also tried this input source swizzle with hdmi audio format in zone 2 as pcm and through, and the behavior is the same. I tried changing the zone 2 hdmi audio format while on the bluray input, and I would have to turn off/on the receiver sometimes (not always) to get sound to come back on.

Is the HTPC passing 2CH only?
leftyguitar1963's Avatar leftyguitar1963 03:48 PM 04-26-2014
If I unplugged rcvr from power for 15-20min do I have to re-run Audyssey?
pbarach's Avatar pbarach 03:58 PM 04-26-2014
^^
No. And you can be sure by turning Audyssey ON with the remote. If it says NOT AVAILABLE, then the unit list its settings.
SydBarrett's Avatar SydBarrett 04:30 PM 04-26-2014
So it looks like you cant call up Quick Selects from the remote? That seems weird that i would have to press the buttons on the receiver itself. Almost seems counter intuitive.
al210's Avatar al210 04:56 PM 04-26-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACEDK View Post

Just to let you all know what happened. The network-card was broken and replaces by warranty. The cost of this (paid by the dealer) here i Denmark was around 3800DKK or around 700USD!!!

That cost is ridiculous rolleyes.gif
Tags: Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , dolby digital plus , netflix 5.1
First ... 233  234  235 236  237  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop