The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 241 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #7201 of 9903 Old 05-04-2014, 04:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Got my x2000 and set it up. Was way too easy to set up. I did the audessy setup very crudely and my sub seems really loud although it set it for -10. Then I started to read the audessy FAQ and realized all the things I did wrong. Will try again tonite.
rec head likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7202 of 9903 Old 05-04-2014, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Re the 3D situation. The 4000 will pass 3D with no problem to any of your HDMI inputs. Don't focus on ARC as that "solution" is problematic at best and only useful for OTA or smart TV program sources. Turn off the ARC function and run an optical audio cable from the TV to your 4000. Blu-Rays and 3D movies play just fine thru the HDMI connection.
post #7203 of 9903 Old 05-04-2014, 08:36 AM

Liked: 10
Dumb question, I know, but is there any difference between the BluRay input and the DVD input? Before I got my S5100 I was using a DVD player, and connected to the DVD HDMI. Swapped out the old DVD player with the S5100, and changed the input to HDMi3 Seems my setup doesn't always see or connect the BluRay HDMI3, even after corrected my harmony 650 remote so that "play a movie" activity correctly looks to HDMI3 for the BR player.

Is there something else I should check or correct?
post #7204 of 9903 Old 05-04-2014, 08:54 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked: 1823
^^
Technically no, but historically we have seen that some inputs work better with some sources than do others.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7205 of 9903 Old 05-04-2014, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Hello all Denon users! I just upgraded from the 2113 to the X4000. I have a question for recommended settings in Audyssey. I watch movies anywhere between -5 to -20 depending on mood. Which settings should I have on/off in Audyssey to get the best use out of my dual HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs? Right now I have the below settings.

MultEQ XT32 - Audyssey

Dynamic EQ - On

-Reference Level Offset - 0 db

Dynamic Volume - Off

Audyssey LFC - Off

Thanks a bunch! I know I could probably find this info if a sift through a million pages, but I am hoping someone can just give me the quick run down on these settings.

Ken

Denon X4000 - Klipsch KLF-10 Fronts - Klipsch KLF-C7 Center - Klipsch KLF-C7 X 2 Surrounds - Dual HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subs - BenQ W1070 projector - 106" Antra fixed Screen - 3D powered by AMD home built computer
post #7206 of 9903 Old 05-04-2014, 09:23 AM
585-645-1006

^^
All above looks good. smile.gif

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #7207 of 9903 Old 05-04-2014, 09:31 AM

Sorry in advance... I don't know if this is a BluRay player issue, a receiver issue, or a LCD TV issue (and fixes), so I am posting in all three. If this is a violation mods, let me know and I will delete from the incorrect boards. Plus this is a long post (sorry in advance) but I am hoping being complete will help me resolve my problem and better understand the solutions. I am listing off all of my current connections and I would sure appreciate someone telling me if I have any incorrect connections, or any setting changes I may need to make (on which devices). If I need to provide any other info please let me know.

PROBLEM: When I try to play BluRays I get a "No HDMI3 Cable Connected" error message" Suggests checking cables. I know I have the BR player connected to HDMI3. More details below.

I have a Samsung UN46F6300 LCD, a Denon x1000 receiver, a Sony S5100 BluRay player, and a Scientific Atlantic 8300HD Explorer cable STB. Since the STB does not appear to be CEC compliant, I have turned off CEC/ARC on the Samsung and the Denon, and have installed an optical cable from the TV (Digital Audio Out (optical) to the receiver (TV/Optical Input).

My connections:

STB Connections:
  • HDMI to receiver (HDMI CBL/SAT)
  • Antenna In to the wall (calble outlet)
  • Antenna Out to the TV

TV Connections:
  • On the back of the TV I have HDMI2 (ARC) to the receiver (HDMI OUT ARC).
  • As mentioned before, I also have the Digital Audio Out (optical) to the receiver (TV/Optical).
  • I also have the cable antenna in between the TV and the STB.

BluRay player connections:
  • HDMI to receiver (HDMI3 Bluray)

The back panel of the S5100 only has one HDMI so I am certain I have that one correct.

The back panel of the Denon receiver has HDMI inputs for 1. CBL/SAT, 2. DVD, 3. BluRay, 4.GAME, and 5. Media Player. Plus the HDMI Out (ARC). And from above, I am using HDMI BluRay to the S5100 and HDMI Out to the F6300.

The back panel of the F6300 has HDMI1 for STB, HDMI2 for ARC, HDMI3 (unnamed), and HDMI4 (for DVI). The only HDMI I am currently using is I am using HDMI2 (ARC) to the receiver.

Again, any corrections to my connections, or any other suggestions on fixes would be much appreciated.
post #7208 of 9903 Old 05-04-2014, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I am building a new movie room in my basement and considering the Denon X4000 as my AVR. Looking through the information on the unit, one thing isn't clear to me.

My main room will have a 7.1 (or 7.2) setup. i understand the X4000 can handle that easily. However, I also want to have a "zone 2" pair of stereo speakers for my outside patio.

The X4000 has 7 amps, so it is a given I cannot operate 7.2 PLUS zone 2 at the same time.

My question is - can I watch a movie in 5.1 in "zone 1" and send a different source to "zone 2" at the same time?

At the very least, can I connect all 9 speakers at the same time and simply listen to 7.2 on zone 1 OR stereo on zone 2? (i.e. not at the same time).

I have never played with a "zone 2/3" setup before and are unsure of the intended use/limitation.

Thanks in advance.
post #7209 of 9903 Old 05-04-2014, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Set up our new AVR-X2000 yesterday. Everything seemed to go fine. Audyssey ran fine, though setting the fronts to Large, I just went in to Setup and corrected that. Apple TV (ATV), Amazon Fire TV (AFTV), Roku 3, PS3 and set top box all recognized and working great. Then I yielded and allowed it to do the firmware upgrade. BIG MISTAKE! Either that or my wife playing with settings blew everything up. I'm leaning towards the firmware as what could she have done that we only see Stereo as the recognized input signal and get a much degraded picture on screen, everything looking like SD and not 1080p. All the testing of each device was done before the firmware, and everything was beautiful DTS HD or Dolby + or even Dolby Digital. We went and looked at what my wife says she changed and undid what she remembered, she's very good at that, and besides, it was all video not audio settings she changed. But I did verify that each device was still set to sound over HDMI, Dolby turned ON, etc. Now, the set top box still shows Dolby, but nothing else does, just Stereo. When I play a blue ray movie on the PS3 it does show DTS HD and does sound good, but the Netflix app and other streaming apps on the PS3 show stereo and lousy picture quality. I have done a speed test on my network since this happened and show 21 Mbps download, more than enough to stream without pain. Also, this stereo only and picture degradation happens with every app on each device ... Amazon Prime, Netflix, HBO-GO, ShowTime Plus, and others we've tried though don't use much.

Also, each device, TV, ATV, AFTV, PS3, Roku, and X2000 are connected via CAT6 cable to a network switch and everything is connected via HDMI to the X2000, and the X2000 to the Panasonic P60ST60 plasma's HDMI-2 input which does the ARC. I'm leaning towards the firmware as the difference between earlier and later is so drastic. HELP!!!!! Any suggestions out there?

Neil from Southern California
post #7210 of 9903 Old 05-04-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Jrm21, If you get an external 2 channel amplifier you can run 7.1 in the basement and a stereo pair outside at the same time. They run completely independent meaning you can listen to whatever you want in zone 2 and control the whole thing with a wifi connected device (smartphone, tablet or laptop). It's pretty slick. You can easily buy an external amp for zone 2 for under $200. Well worth the money as switching between 5.1+zone 2 and 7.1 would quickly become a hassle...

Hear me now, Listen to me later....
post #7211 of 9903 Old 05-04-2014, 10:39 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad1600 View Post

Sorry in advance... I don't know if this is a BluRay player issue, a receiver issue, or a LCD TV issue (and fixes), so I am posting in all three. If this is a violation mods, let me know and I will delete from the incorrect boards. Plus this is a long post (sorry in advance) but I am hoping being complete will help me resolve my problem and better understand the solutions. I am listing off all of my current connections and I would sure appreciate someone telling me if I have any incorrect connections, or any setting changes I may need to make (on which devices). If I need to provide any other info please let me know.

PROBLEM: When I try to play BluRays I get a "No HDMI3 Cable Connected" error message" Suggests checking cables. I know I have the BR player connected to HDMI3. More details below.

I have a Samsung UN46F6300 LCD, a Denon x1000 receiver, a Sony S5100 BluRay player, and a Scientific Atlantic 8300HD Explorer cable STB. Since the STB does not appear to be CEC compliant, I have turned off CEC/ARC on the Samsung and the Denon, and have installed an optical cable from the TV (Digital Audio Out (optical) to the receiver (TV/Optical Input).

My connections:

STB Connections:
  • HDMI to receiver (HDMI CBL/SAT)
  • Antenna In to the wall (calble outlet)
  • Antenna Out to the TV

TV Connections:
  • On the back of the TV I have HDMI2 (ARC) to the receiver (HDMI OUT ARC).
  • As mentioned before, I also have the Digital Audio Out (optical) to the receiver (TV/Optical).
  • I also have the cable antenna in between the TV and the STB.

BluRay player connections:
  • HDMI to receiver (HDMI3 Bluray)

The back panel of the S5100 only has one HDMI so I am certain I have that one correct.

The back panel of the Denon receiver has HDMI inputs for 1. CBL/SAT, 2. DVD, 3. BluRay, 4.GAME, and 5. Media Player. Plus the HDMI Out (ARC). And from above, I am using HDMI BluRay to the S5100 and HDMI Out to the F6300.

The back panel of the F6300 has HDMI1 for STB, HDMI2 for ARC, HDMI3 (unnamed), and HDMI4 (for DVI). The only HDMI I am currently using is I am using HDMI2 (ARC) to the receiver.

Again, any corrections to my connections, or any other suggestions on fixes would be much appreciated.

BDP - Set "Deep Color Output" to OFF
Power on sequence: TV, wait a few seconds, AVR, wait a few seconds, BDP

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #7212 of 9903 Old 05-04-2014, 10:42 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm21 View Post

I am building a new movie room in my basement and considering the Denon X4000 as my AVR. Looking through the information on the unit, one thing isn't clear to me.

My main room will have a 7.1 (or 7.2) setup. i understand the X4000 can handle that easily. However, I also want to have a "zone 2" pair of stereo speakers for my outside patio.

The X4000 has 7 amps, so it is a given I cannot operate 7.2 PLUS zone 2 at the same time.

My question is - can I watch a movie in 5.1 in "zone 1" and send a different source to "zone 2" at the same time?

At the very least, can I connect all 9 speakers at the same time and simply listen to 7.2 on zone 1 OR stereo on zone 2? (i.e. not at the same time).

I have never played with a "zone 2/3" setup before and are unsure of the intended use/limitation.

Thanks in advance.

As Tom notes, your best option is to simply add a 2CH AMP like the one below connected to the Zone 2 pre-outs on the X4000 as when using Surround Back speakers in the 7.1 setup, you cannot switch between 5.1/Zone 2 and 7.1 using the on board amps.

http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #7213 of 9903 Old 05-04-2014, 10:45 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilK View Post

Set up our new AVR-X2000 yesterday. Everything seemed to go fine. Audyssey ran fine, though setting the fronts to Large, I just went in to Setup and corrected that. Apple TV (ATV), Amazon Fire TV (AFTV), Roku 3, PS3 and set top box all recognized and working great. Then I yielded and allowed it to do the firmware upgrade. BIG MISTAKE! Either that or my wife playing with settings blew everything up. I'm leaning towards the firmware as what could she have done that we only see Stereo as the recognized input signal and get a much degraded picture on screen, everything looking like SD and not 1080p. All the testing of each device was done before the firmware, and everything was beautiful DTS HD or Dolby + or even Dolby Digital. We went and looked at what my wife says she changed and undid what she remembered, she's very good at that, and besides, it was all video not audio settings she changed. But I did verify that each device was still set to sound over HDMI, Dolby turned ON, etc. Now, the set top box still shows Dolby, but nothing else does, just Stereo. When I play a blue ray movie on the PS3 it does show DTS HD and does sound good, but the Netflix app and other streaming apps on the PS3 show stereo and lousy picture quality. I have done a speed test on my network since this happened and show 21 Mbps download, more than enough to stream without pain. Also, this stereo only and picture degradation happens with every app on each device ... Amazon Prime, Netflix, HBO-GO, ShowTime Plus, and others we've tried though don't use much.

Also, each device, TV, ATV, AFTV, PS3, Roku, and X2000 are connected via CAT6 cable to a network switch and everything is connected via HDMI to the X2000, and the X2000 to the Panasonic P60ST60 plasma's HDMI-2 input which does the ARC. I'm leaning towards the firmware as the difference between earlier and later is so drastic. HELP!!!!! Any suggestions out there?

Try resetting the microprocessor (post #5 of this thread).

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #7214 of 9903 Old 05-04-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Technically no, but historically we have seen that some inputs work better with some sources than do others.
That's interesting, do you mean some HDMI inputs work better than others for a particular component? I recall reading about ARC(don't use it) and all that but I've always gone on the belief that every HDMI input was identical performance-wise, are you saying there's evidence to the contrary?
post #7215 of 9903 Old 05-04-2014, 11:24 AM
585-645-1006

^^
By better, I mean it either works or it doesn't. There are posts from some members where a source doesn't work using one input but does on another.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #7216 of 9903 Old 05-04-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:

^^
By better, I mean it either works or it doesn't. There are posts from some members where a source doesn't work using one input but does on another.
Ah, okay, I see what you mean, not really a performance issue but rather something to do with connectivity, I would guess anyway.
post #7217 of 9903 Old 05-04-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:

BDP - Set "Deep Color Output" to OFF
Power on sequence: TV, wait a few seconds, AVR, wait a few seconds, BDP

Thanks for the suggestion. can you help me understand what this setting change will do to help?

I can't even get the Sony Bluray player to even be seen now through the TV, so I can't see the BRP's menu to make a change in settings. Every time I try to see HDMI3 (BluRay player) I get an error message saying I am not connected and to check my connections.

Since I have been able to the S5100 to be recognized twice previously (watched two BR disks... Argo last night, World War Z a few nights ago), but now I can't even get to HDMI3 (I've tried switching to HDMI3 using the Samsung's menu, and tried using the Denon remote to switch to BluRay). Neither gets me to the S5100.
post #7218 of 9903 Old 05-04-2014, 12:10 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Reset the Sony BDP and then connect directly to the TV to change the menu setting.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #7219 of 9903 Old 05-04-2014, 12:20 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:

Try resetting the microprocessor (post #5 of this thread).

Thank you, jd. I do have one correction, my wife tells me that only Netflix is suffering on picture quality, and it eventually caches and seems to catch up. We had the Netflix issue a ways back and it resolved itself or was resolved by Netflix eventually, that's going back a way. But the audio is the main problem that appears to have manifested itself throughout the system after the firmware update. I have it unplugged for the first step, will wait the 10 minutes plus to see if a soft-reset is any help. Then I will try the next step, microprocessor reset. There is no option for saving any settings using an iMac, so I guess I'll probably be going through the full setup again. That's okay by me if it resolves the problem. We loved our Denon AVR1803 for the past 12 years, and are hoping to carry that forward to our new updated version.

Neil from Southern California
post #7220 of 9903 Old 05-04-2014, 12:32 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Refer to post #4 of this thread under item #2 SAVE/LOAD as you should be able to use SAFARI with your iMac to save the config file.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #7221 of 9903 Old 05-04-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:

^^
Reset the Sony BDP and then connect directly to the TV to change the menu setting.

OK, I changed the bluray player from the HDMI3 BluRay Player HDMI input on the Receiver to the HDMI2 DVD player on the Receiver. I was then able to get the TV to recognize the BluRay player and it actually played for a bit. So I went into the Sony 5100 menu, turned off Deep Color Output under Screen. It played for a bit, then the error message about checking connections popped up again, and now I can't get back to having it recognize the BRplayer.

It keeps looking at HDMI2. Is it possible there is a conflict happening between the DVD input and the Comcast (cable STB input)? When you list out "Source" on the Samsung, it lists two Comcasts, HDI1 and HDMI2.

I am really lost and getting more and more frustrated. With so few possible wire connections via HDMI, I am still lost as to whether I have the system correctly wired. Seems I am correct having everything wired in through the Receiver so that the 5.1 audio happens on each device input. I am almost tempted to go back and retry ARC, or changing the STB HDMI to go to the TV (labeled HDMI1 STB) and connecting the TV to the receiver via HDMI2 ARC on the TV to the receiver's HDMI Monitor Output ARC.
post #7222 of 9903 Old 05-04-2014, 01:42 PM

^^ And also now just tried to connect the bluray player directly to the TV at one of the open HDMI inputs on the TV (HDMI 3). The movie played through the TV. Stopped the movie. Then tried again, and the error message again appeared, saying HDMI3 wasn't connected and I should check my connections.

So, does that eliminate the Denon receiver as the problem? Why does each change I make (switching the BRP connection from Bluray HDMI input to DVD HDMI input on the receiver' and now connecting the BRP directly to the TV) work once, then it fails, both with essentially the same error message?

Is it the TV?
post #7223 of 9903 Old 05-04-2014, 01:42 PM

Recently purchased the E300 on sale for $200. Generally pleased with it. Read about the DD+ Netflix problem and upgraded the firmware to version 9500-0784-9112. Unfortunately I can only get DD, as per its manual, out of my Panasonic TC-P55ST60 plasma, but Netflix sounds fine. My old LG BD570 blu-ray player has an old Netflix app on it that does not have an audio selector, so it defaults to PLII C.

Did the Audyssey setup and my old 4 ohm JBL 940T fronts sound great. The E300 has no problem driving them at moderate to high volumes and does not get hot. I have 8 ohm JBL ES20 rears and a JBL ES25C center. Never needed a sub because the JBL 940Ts put out enough bass with their 8" and 10" woofers, but thinking about getting one.
post #7224 of 9903 Old 05-04-2014, 01:46 PM
585-645-1006

@Nomad1600 -

Try replacing the HDMI cable from one available from forum sponsor Monoprice.
Nomad1600 likes this.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #7225 of 9903 Old 05-04-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:

@Nomad1600 -

I spent 2 hours trying to get the E300 to see my LG BD570 using a new AmazonBasics HDMI cable. Finally used a Monoprice HDMI cable from an old Phillips DVD player and it worked. The Amazon HDMI cable worked on the Phillips DVD player. Weird.
Nomad1600 likes this.
post #7226 of 9903 Old 05-04-2014, 02:00 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Yet another reason to order spare HDMI cables from Monoprice as just because an HDMI cable will work with one device or when connected directly to the TV is no guarantee it will work when connected to an AVR.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #7227 of 9903 Old 05-04-2014, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

As Tom notes, your best option is to simply add a 2CH AMP like the one below connected to the Zone 2 pre-outs on the X4000 as when using Surround Back speakers in the 7.1 setup, you cannot switch between 5.1/Zone 2 and 7.1 using the on board amps.

http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6

I pretty much figured it could be done with an external amp connected, but I was trying to avoid that. I am also looking at the Pioneer SC-75 which is a 9.2 AVR, seems to sell for a little less and (as I found out this morning) can handle a 7.2 setup in the main room and a 2 channel setup on zone 2. Mainly trying to compare the two and see what is a better option for me.

I am familiar with the Pioneer iPad/iPhone remote app from another AVR I own. It works very well.

Can anyone comment on the Denon remote app? Is it well done? Is the iPad version just a magnified version of the iPhone version? Any pros and cons?
post #7228 of 9903 Old 05-04-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Denon app works great, can't comment on the "i" stuff.

Hear me now, Listen to me later....
post #7229 of 9903 Old 05-04-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:

@Nomad1600 -

jdsmoothie... thanks! I think you may be on to something. I swapped out the Rocketfish with an older Beldin I had on another TV. First tried it direct from the BRP. It worked right away. Then tried it between the receiver's BluRay player (HDMI3 input) and the BRP. No dice. Then tried it between the the receiver's DVD player HDMI2 input. I really pushed as hard as I could this time (I remembered reading somewhere that the Denon HDMI connectors were really tight).

It worked.

I bought three of the Rocketfish HDMI cables when I bought the Denon receiver (I separately bought the S5100 and the UN46F6300 at Best Buy). I remember them suggesting the Rocketfish since the Dynex's were cheap. I will try getting the Beldin to make a working connection with the HDMI3 BluRay input on the receiver. I will also order replacements from Monoprice (are there recommended models?).

btw, Each time I have been changing HDMI connections I have been turning off the TV, receiver and BRP. Is that necessary, or can I disconnect and reconnect while the devices are powered up?

Also, is my original set up of connections correct?

Thanks again!
post #7230 of 9903 Old 05-04-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm21 View Post

I pretty much figured it could be done with an external amp connected, but I was trying to avoid that. I am also looking at the Pioneer SC-75 which is a 9.2 AVR, seems to sell for a little less and (as I found out this morning) can handle a 7.2 setup in the main room and a 2 channel setup on zone 2. Mainly trying to compare the two and see what is a better option for me.

I am familiar with the Pioneer iPad/iPhone remote app from another AVR I own. It works very well.

Can anyone comment on the Denon remote app? Is it well done? Is the iPad version just a magnified version of the iPhone version? Any pros and cons?

I'm using Denon X4000 and app for iPhone and iPad and all works great, easy to use, did not find any cons, I like it. If you need any pictures how app looks like in some positions let me know i will take pictures for you.

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-82II's , RC-62II , RS-52II's , RB-81II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , dolby digital plus , netflix 5.1
Gear in this thread