The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 244 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7291 of 8361 Old 05-06-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis View Post

Unfortunately that procedure is not a "sure thing" with the X4000.

Unfortunately, when it comes to network stuff, nothing is ever a "sure thing" with Denon. smile.gif

A while ago I mentioned there are issues IMO/E with loading config saves for the X4000 made before the last FW update, to an X4000 with the latest FW. Issues as in it doesn't work. Yet saves made after that FW update load just fine, I have done several loads since then, including one today.

Obviously the potential issue with this is: what's the point of saving configs if at any time Denon can render them useless? I don't recall this ever happening before, but it seems to have happened for the X4000. Not a big deal for most people, but I actually have significant older configs that I may have wanted to return to at some point (how I found the prob). At least XT32 is quick to re-do, and the Audyssey cal is probably the biggest thing most people would lose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7292 of 8361 Old 05-06-2014, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I just bought my X-2000, my first "big boy" receiver. It's all setup for now and I did the firmware update. Any other tips for a first time receiver owner to tweak this thing?
post #7293 of 8361 Old 05-06-2014, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
As noted, the instructions were written for the E300 and E400. Please refer to post #4 for instructions when using the "X" series.
Well, actually I did. When I quoted your earlier message I failed to notice that the URL was for the main index, not the save/load page, but I used the direct URL, not the index. My error.

http://192.168.1.200/SETUP/OTHERS/f_others.asp leads to a page with two buttons.

"Save" leads to http://192.168.1.200/SETUP/OTHERS/SAVE/f_config_save.asp.

"Load" leads to http://192.168.1.200/SETUP/OTHERS/LOAD/f_config_load.asp

"Save" saved a 974,344 byte config.dat file with non-zero data.

"Load" filed to restore it after a full receiver reset, with the symptoms I originally noted.

I tried it again with IP Control in Standby turned off, as another writer suggested, but alas! with the same results. Forty minutes later the Denon X4000 still displayed "Loading" and Firefox had quit trying to send anything -- see attached.

--Dan in St. Louis

---- Dan in Saint Louis
post #7294 of 8361 Old 05-06-2014, 04:07 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post

So it will available also fror current owner Oppo 103D? How about Denon it also can pass 4k right?

Yes, of course ... by firmware update to the 103D. The 2013 Denon AVRs can only pass 4k 24fps/30fps but not 60fps which is what the new 2014 HDMI 2.0 AVRs will be capable of doing.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7295 of 8361 Old 05-06-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraser View Post

Yet saves made after that FW update load just fine, I have done several loads since then, including one today.
If only my experience with it had been as good as yours ...........

My firmware was updated in February. The "Save" and all of the described "Load" attempts were made today. Still no successful "Load" completions. I have resigned myself to running Audyssey again, next time my wife is out of the house for a couple of hours and nobody is running a lawnmower.

--Dan in St. Louis.

---- Dan in Saint Louis
post #7296 of 8361 Old 05-06-2014, 04:17 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Well, actually I did. When I quoted your earlier message I failed to notice that the URL was for the main index, not the save/load page, but I used the direct URL, not the index. My error.

http://192.168.1.200/SETUP/OTHERS/f_others.asp leads to a page with two buttons.

"Save" leads to http://192.168.1.200/SETUP/OTHERS/SAVE/f_config_save.asp.

"Load" leads to http://192.168.1.200/SETUP/OTHERS/LOAD/f_config_load.asp

"Save" saved a 974,344 byte config.dat file with non-zero data.

"Load" filed to restore it after a full receiver reset, with the symptoms I originally noted.

I tried it again with IP Control in Standby turned off, as another writer suggested, but alas! with the same results. Forty minutes later the Denon X4000 still displayed "Loading" and Firefox had quit trying to send anything -- see attached.

--Dan in St. Louis

Did you try resetting the microprocessor and then doing the LOAD as suggested in post #3?

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #7297 of 8361 Old 05-06-2014, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraser View Post

Yet saves made after that FW update load just fine, I have done several loads since then, including one today.
If only my experience with it had been as good as yours ...........

My firmware was updated in February. The "Save" and all of the described "Load" attempts were made today. Still no successful "Load" completions. I have resigned myself to running Audyssey again, next time my wife is out of the house for a couple of hours and nobody is running a lawnmower.

--Dan in St. Louis.

I run my Audyssey calibrations at about 4-4:30 in the morning. That way I have only the refrigerator to contend with. I get up during the week at 3:30 so I'm used to it.
post #7298 of 8361 Old 05-06-2014, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padinn View Post

I just bought my X-2000, my first "big boy" receiver. It's all setup for now and I did the firmware update. Any other tips for a first time receiver owner to tweak this thing?

I'd suggest you read the FAQ at the beginning of this thread and also read the audyssey thread. I just got my x2000 and it sounds great after i followed the proper calibration.
post #7299 of 8361 Old 05-06-2014, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Hey Everyone,

Denon x1000 receiver here. During initial setup I set my sub to 50% gain and ran Audyssey -it set my sub level to +4. I wanted to try different sub level settings, but when playing Netflix through the TV (ARC) it wasn't allowing me to change sub level (I'd flip through the audio setting options and it simply wasn't there)... I was able to select and change the setting while streaming music from my laptop, but what's bizarre is after switching back to Netflix (same TV/ARC setup) the option to modify sub levels was suddenly accessible.

Anyone know why this setting seems to be touchy? Thanks in advance!

post #7300 of 8361 Old 05-06-2014, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:

Yes, of course ... by firmware update to the 103D. The 2013 Denon AVRs can only pass 4k 24fps/30fps but not 60fps which is what the new 2014 HDMI 2.0 AVRs will be capable of doing.

Ok sound great, what I don't understand is why Oppo with 1.4 HDMI is able after firmware update do 4k 60fps and Denon will not.
ambesolman likes this.

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-82II's , RC-62II , RS-52II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
PS3,Mac mini
Sony KDF-60XS955
post #7301 of 8361 Old 05-06-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post

Ok sound great, what I don't understand is why Oppo with 1.4 HDMI is able after firmware update do 4k 60fps and Denon will not.

It's probably not that they can't but that they'd rather make you upgrade to a new reciever to get that feature. Btw, do we think there will be much 4k/60fps content? Aren't current blurays 1080p/24fps? The only thing I can think of is a PC or a console that can generate 4k/60fps when playing games.
post #7302 of 8361 Old 05-06-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:

Did you try resetting the microprocessor and then doing the LOAD as suggested in post #3?
Yes, that is what prompted the attempt to "Save, Load" in the first place. The "up-down arrow" method was used as I understand that it resets both the microprocessor AND the network circuits.

I guess I should call it "Save, Reset, Attempt to Load."

Thanks......

--Dan in St. Louis

Three things I wish Denon would fix:

1) Network unreliability

2) No menus/radio information/etc on a TV in Zone 2.

3) No way to run a center channel or subwoofer in Zone 2.

---- Dan in Saint Louis
post #7303 of 8361 Old 05-06-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post

I run my Audyssey calibrations at about 4-4:30 in the morning. That way I have only the refrigerator to contend with. I get up during the week at 3:30 so I'm used to it.
I take it that you are single.

--Dan in St. Louis

---- Dan in Saint Louis
post #7304 of 8361 Old 05-06-2014, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Just got the x2000 and I am having a problem with the listening modes. I am trying to listen to music on my computer connected to  the receiver via HDMI. I am listening to Spotify on my computer which is a Stereo source. When I go to select a listening mode the only Pro Logic listening mode available is "Multi In + PLIIz". Selecting this listening only plays audio out the front left and right speakers.

Another issue I am having in general is the Bass/Subwoofer is very weak. I ran Audyssy using all 8 positions, and it set my subwoofer to -9.5. The gain on my sub was set to 50%. I turned up the subwoofer level to 0 on the receiver, and it still feels weak so I turned up the gain on the subwoofer to 75%. I am still not sure it sounds right though. Anyways the strange thing is that if I select the Stereo listening mode the subwoofer is MUCH MUCH louder, and actually sounds much better than the other listening modes even with the sub level turned up in those modes?

I feel like there is something wrong with my receiver as I have never heard of a Pro Logic listening modes not up-mixing stereo sources, and have never experienced such drastic changes with the subwoofer switching between listening modes either.

post #7305 of 8361 Old 05-06-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post

I take it that you are single.

--Dan in St. Louis

No, but sometimes I wi ... ... that's a discussion for another time.

Small place, noisy people, near freeway, railroad tracks and in the flight path of a major international airport. Any later than 4:30 and I find myself rerunning positions. frown.gif
post #7306 of 8361 Old 05-06-2014, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fant View Post

It's probably not that they can't but that they'd rather make you upgrade to a new reciever to get that feature. Btw, do we think there will be much 4k/60fps content? Aren't current blurays 1080p/24fps? The only thing I can think of is a PC or a console that can generate 4k/60fps when playing games.

Thnaks Oppo is on my list to get and 4k tv is later on will wait prices will drop down.

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-82II's , RC-62II , RS-52II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
PS3,Mac mini
Sony KDF-60XS955
post #7307 of 8361 Old 05-06-2014, 07:26 PM

Speaking of .. If you are in the middle of an 8 position calibration and a plane flies overhead or my kid comes screaming in ... Is there a way to redo a position or do we have to start from the beginning again?
post #7308 of 8361 Old 05-06-2014, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:

Yes, that is what prompted the attempt to "Save, Load" in the first place. The "up-down arrow" method was used as I understand that it resets both the microprocessor AND the network circuits.

Thanks......

--Dan in St. Louis

1) Network unreliability

You could run a sub in zone two if your sub has connections for the speakers (line level?). Just run a red/white composite from zone 2 to the sub and connect the speakers to the sub and use the sub's internal crossover.
post #7309 of 8361 Old 05-06-2014, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatlesschimp View Post

I had a pair of cambridge audio minx 21 speakers laying around that I wired into the Front wide positions and all I got from the ps4 was 5.1 input still and to get the speakers working at all I had to select neo:x. So is 7.1 restricted to center, front, surround and back?

Correct. Height and wide channels do not exist in the source content. They only play when you apply post processing like NeoX or DSX.
hatlesschimp likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #7310 of 8361 Old 05-07-2014, 04:14 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Thanks......

--Dan in St. Louis

1) Network unreliability

3. The X3000 and X4000 both have a Zone 2 (HDMI) monitor output which can be connected to another AVR and full surround sound is then possible in Zone 2.

post #7311 of 8361 Old 05-07-2014, 04:20 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComponentActual View Post

Just got the x2000 and I am having a problem with the listening modes. I am trying to listen to music on my computer connected to  the receiver via HDMI. I am listening to Spotify on my computer which is a Stereo source. When I go to select a listening mode the only Pro Logic listening mode available is "Multi In + PLIIz". Selecting this listening only plays audio out the front left and right speakers.

Another issue I am having in general is the Bass/Subwoofer is very weak. I ran Audyssy using all 8 positions, and it set my subwoofer to -9.5. The gain on my sub was set to 50%. I turned up the subwoofer level to 0 on the receiver, and it still feels weak so I turned up the gain on the subwoofer to 75%. I am still not sure it sounds right though. Anyways the strange thing is that if I select the Stereo listening mode the subwoofer is MUCH MUCH louder, and actually sounds much better than the other listening modes even with the sub level turned up in those modes?

I feel like there is something wrong with my receiver as I have never heard of a Pro Logic listening modes not up-mixing stereo sources, and have never experienced such drastic changes with the subwoofer switching between listening modes either.

What is likely happening is your HTPC is passing the stereo signal over a 5.1 audio track which is why you only hear audio from the FL/FR speakers (this also happens with some TV stations as well) and since PLIIz is derived from the SL/SR channels (of which there is none) you would not hear any audio from the FHL/FHR speakers either. Check your HTPC settings to correctly pass a 2.0 signal. Regarding the sub, you don't want to adjust the gain on the sub, rather simply raise the Subwoofer Level to suit your preference.

post #7312 of 8361 Old 05-07-2014, 07:03 AM

Liked: 10
Hi All,

I'm about to purchase a new X2000 for my living room, but would like to confirm a few things before I spend the money. I've been reading and reading and think I'm good, but this thread is clearly the best place to ask. I've been comparing the X2000 to the Onkyo 626 and the Sony 840/1040. I already own an Onkyo RC260 in my movie room, with Polk 5.1 (CS2, TS1s, OWM3s, 12in sub), so I know enough about audio to get myself in trouble - but I'm definitely no expert.

The Denon will be going in my living room for the following use:
1) Cable TV
2) Sony S590 BluRay
3) Chromecast
4) Zone2 with a set of Polk Atriums on the deck. The guy who built my house conveniently installed an external volume knob on the deck as well.

I am going to tie the Denon into my home network over a set of Powerline wall outlet adapters. My questions:

A) Can I play Chromecast over Zone2 while still watching TV/BluRay on my TV? Or does Zone2 need to be an analog input?
B) Similarly - does anyone know if Google Music cooperates with the Denon App for Android? If I have the X2000 on my home network I feel like I should be OK, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Being able to listen to Google Music on Zone2 is a must-have for me. I know the Onkyo626 will do this, but it seems like the Denon X2000 is a superior receiver in terms of build quality. I know the Denon does not have Bluetooth, so that's why I want to ensure I'll be able to use Google Music either via Chromecast to Zone2, or via my network to Zone2, while still watching TV.

Thanks for any advice. And if I need to step up to another receiver to do what I want, any recommendations are welcome!!
post #7313 of 8361 Old 05-07-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fant View Post

Speaking of .. If you are in the middle of an 8 position calibration and a plane flies overhead or my kid comes screaming in ... Is there a way to redo a position or do we have to start from the beginning again?

You can redo the position. Hit cancel and then restart that position. I just ran it this weekend, but for some reason I just can't seem to picture it in my head, so I might be a little off in my description.
post #7314 of 8361 Old 05-07-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

You could run a sub in zone two if your sub has connections for the speakers (line level?). Just run a red/white composite from zone 2 to the sub and connect the speakers to the sub and use the sub's internal crossover.
True enough, but that loses the important feature of filtering the extreme lows out of the signal to the side speakers (high-pass filter).

I could also build a network that would mix the left and right signals and feed an external amp with a center signal, but at this price level I shouldn't have to do that.

Thanks!

--Dan in St. Louis

---- Dan in Saint Louis
post #7315 of 8361 Old 05-07-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:

3. The X3000 and X4000 both have a Zone 2 (HDMI) monitor output which can be connected to another AVR and full surround sound is then possible in Zone 2.
Quite so -- if the source is HDMI to begin with, and if our customers want to buy TWO receivers.

Maybe the X5000 will have those features ...................

Thanks!

--Dan in St. Louis

---- Dan in Saint Louis
post #7316 of 8361 Old 05-07-2014, 07:24 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

True enough, but that loses the important feature of filtering the extreme lows out of the signal to the side speakers (high-pass filter).

I could also build a network that would mix the left and right signals and feed an external amp with a center signal, but at this price level I shouldn't have to do that.

Thanks!

--Dan in St. Louis

The X3000 and X4000 both feature a Zone 2 HPF setting.

post #7317 of 8361 Old 05-07-2014, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 953
Yeah. Totally fair to criticize a surround sound receiver for not giving another surround sound setup for free. A center channel in zone 2? Come on.

As long as you are wishin maybe it should also let you run another 5.1 setup in zone 3 too?
D Bone likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #7318 of 8361 Old 05-07-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:

The X3000 and X4000 both feature a Zone 2 HPF setting.
Although the manual does not seem to say, I assume this affects only the internal power amps and not the preamp outputs?

Thanks!

--Dan in St. Louis

---- Dan in Saint Louis
post #7319 of 8361 Old 05-07-2014, 07:29 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Quite so -- if the source is HDMI to begin with, and if our customers want to buy TWO receivers.

Maybe the X5000 will have those features ...................

Thanks!

--Dan in St. Louis

Please. Most buyers will be replacing an existing 5CH/7CH AVR which can be used and if not, a used 5CH AVR can readily be purchased for roughly $100 or less.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavr1513/denon-avr-1513-5.1ch-home-theater-receiver-3d-ready/1.html

post #7320 of 8361 Old 05-07-2014, 07:31 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Although the manual does not seem to say, I assume this affects only the internal power amps and not the preamp outputs?

Thanks!

--Dan in St. Louis

Zone 2 is Zone 2.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2309ci Receiver , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon , Denon Electronics , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Denon Avr E200 , Denon Avr E300 , Denon Avr E400 , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page