The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 263 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7861 of 8728 Old 06-13-2014, 09:02 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 1422
^^
Is it an HD DVR? If yes, simply set Dolby Digital to ON in the audio options. Keep in mind however, that only about 50% of all HD channels actually broadcast a DD 5.1 signal regardless of whether the show itself indicates it is in DD 5.1 or not. If when you press the INFO button on the remote, the GUI only shows 2 channels, then the DVR is only passing a stereo signal.
dafish721 likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7862 of 8728 Old 06-13-2014, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafish721 View Post
I currently have the "movies" button set to PLII and every show that I watch always says PLII. What I am doing wrong? What should I set this to so it automaticlly changes to the acutual sound field, 5.1, 7.1, etc that is being broadcast. Sorry, can you walk me through this one?
It would be helpful if you provided more info about your setup. Are you running a 5.1 setup or 7.1? If you are running 5.1, then you may still want to use PLIIx (or PLIIz if you have height speakers instead of surround back) to matrix the 5.1 signal for the extra two channels. These options should be available when you press and hold the "MOVIE" button and, as I noted above, the receiver will automatically remember your preference going forward.

In general though, in order to troubleshoot surround mode settings you need to undersand the relationship between the INPUT and the OUTPUT. You haven't yet described what the incoming input signal is in the situations where you are seeing PLII as the surround mode. If you hit the INFO button on the remote it will show you an info graphic displaying input signal, surround mode, and a picture with lit boxes indicating how many channels are coming in vs. going out. If you see only 2ch input, then PLII would be the correct surround mode to matrix 2ch to 5.1 (or 7.1 if you have it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafish721 View Post
I have Directv, what do I need to do to set it up to pass 5.1?
As JD noted there should be audio settings somewhere on the DTV box where you can enable DD 5.1 output, when available.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #7863 of 8728 Old 06-14-2014, 01:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by shootshescores 

I'm experiencing problems with my SR5008. My problem is with my DirecTV. When I power everything up 50% of the time video works fine, but I have no audio. I have to turn off the AVR and turn it back on for it to work. I also have issues where well after start-up, my TV will go black for 2-3 seconds and come back with very choppy video. Again, I turn off the receiver and turn it back on and it works fine. I don't know that this is an issue across the board because have not had the time to watch any blu rays or DVD's for testing. However, I find this unacceptable becuase this AVR will be used with my DirecTV 85% of the time. I called Marantz support twice on this issue. The first call they told me to power on my components in a specific order. TV, AVR, then DirecTV. Marantz service didn't even try to trouble shoot this issue with me beyond the recommended turn on sequence. They didn't even check the video settings with me. Instead, they just offered to send me a new replacement, which I found surprising and odd.

On another note, I contacted Accessories 4 Less, who I bought this unit from. They said that they have fielded this issue many times and found that low quality HDMI cables are the culprit and recommended I purchase better cables. I found this a bit ridiculous, but they were rather certain.

Once I receive the new AVR I will see if the problem goes away. If not, I guess I'll try new HDMI cables. Does anyone else have any experiences with this sort of issue using a Marantz or other brand of AVR?

It's not the receiver, take directv power oullet put it in the wall socket not in surge protector I had the same problem.
Try an HDMI Splitter. I had similar issues with my PJ and the bump in the signal chain eliminated any disconnects, interrupts and blips.

In addition, it also eliminated the need to power up in any certain order as the splitter tricks the AVR into thinking the device is always on. This works even though I completely disconnect my PJ, HDMI and power cables included, when not watching it.
post #7864 of 8728 Old 06-15-2014, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Volume limit

I recently bought a Denon X1000 with a set of B&W bookshelves and I'm loving them

There is something that is driving me nuts. I have the 'volume limit' set to off in the options but still I can't increase the volume past 73 (I'm using the 0-98 scale). What is this all about?

I can see 80 as one of the values for 'volume limit', so I'm assuming there should be a way to get there.

P.S.: Not that I was to listen to anything at those levels but as I said it just something that I want to figure out.
post #7865 of 8728 Old 06-15-2014, 10:59 PM

I have the Denon AVR-X2000 and need some advice on the best way to handle the setup I'm going for.

I currently have a 5.1 set up in the family room for general movie/gaming/TV viewing and have one stereo speaker in the hallway and a pair of speakers in the living room. The three speakers in the hallway and living room I'm assigning to zone 2. I'm generally going to be using zone 2 for music when entertaining guests. Since the set up is 8.1 versus the receiver's 7.1 max speaker output, I'm getting mono from the pair of speakers in the living room. How would I go about getting a stereo signal to the two speakers? Would a speaker selector help in this case, if so any specific model I can buy? What would be the best method to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance for the help!
post #7866 of 8728 Old 06-16-2014, 01:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by McStyvie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by shootshescores

I'm experiencing problems with my SR5008. My problem is with my DirecTV. When I power everything up 50% of the time video works fine, but I have no audio. I have to turn off the AVR and turn it back on for it to work. I also have issues where well after start-up, my TV will go black for 2-3 seconds and come back with very choppy video. Again, I turn off the receiver and turn it back on and it works fine. I don't know that this is an issue across the board because have not had the time to watch any blu rays or DVD's for testing. However, I find this unacceptable becuase this AVR will be used with my DirecTV 85% of the time. I called Marantz support twice on this issue. The first call they told me to power on my components in a specific order. TV, AVR, then DirecTV. Marantz service didn't even try to trouble shoot this issue with me beyond the recommended turn on sequence. They didn't even check the video settings with me. Instead, they just offered to send me a new replacement, which I found surprising and odd.

On another note, I contacted Accessories 4 Less, who I bought this unit from. They said that they have fielded this issue many times and found that low quality HDMI cables are the culprit and recommended I purchase better cables. I found this a bit ridiculous, but they were rather certain.

Once I receive the new AVR I will see if the problem goes away. If not, I guess I'll try new HDMI cables. Does anyone else have any experiences with this sort of issue using a Marantz or other brand of AVR?

It's not the receiver, take directv power oullet put it in the wall socket not in surge protector I had the same problem.
Try an HDMI Splitter. I had similar issues with my PJ and the bump in the signal chain eliminated any disconnects, interrupts and blips.

In addition, it also eliminated the need to power up in any certain order as the splitter tricks the AVR into thinking the device is always on. This works even though I completely disconnect my PJ, HDMI and power cables included, when not watching it.
Now everything working well
post #7867 of 8728 Old 06-16-2014, 04:26 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddline76 View Post
I have the Denon AVR-X2000 and need some advice on the best way to handle the setup I'm going for.

I currently have a 5.1 set up in the family room for general movie/gaming/TV viewing and have one stereo speaker in the hallway and a pair of speakers in the living room. The three speakers in the hallway and living room I'm assigning to zone 2. I'm generally going to be using zone 2 for music when entertaining guests. Since the set up is 8.1 versus the receiver's 7.1 max speaker output, I'm getting mono from the pair of speakers in the living room. How would I go about getting a stereo signal to the two speakers? Would a speaker selector help in this case, if so any specific model I can buy? What would be the best method to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Yes, a speaker selector would help as well as replacing the single speaker in the hallway with one that has stereo connections (if not already the case).

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?seq...FWIaOgodnT0AMA

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
post #7868 of 8728 Old 06-16-2014, 04:27 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by hormati View Post
I recently bought a Denon X1000 with a set of B&W bookshelves and I'm loving them

There is something that is driving me nuts. I have the 'volume limit' set to off in the options but still I can't increase the volume past 73 (I'm using the 0-98 scale). What is this all about?

I can see 80 as one of the values for 'volume limit', so I'm assuming there should be a way to get there.

P.S.: Not that I was to listen to anything at those levels but as I said it just something that I want to figure out.
Does this occur with all sources or just an iDevice? Is the Source Level for that source set to the default of 0db?

post #7869 of 8728 Old 06-16-2014, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Per the X1000 - after 3 weeks, this machine sure does produce terrific audio if the setup is done correctly, but I've had a hell of a time getting this machine to handshake with other devices. The HDMI not accepting an older display I can somewhat understand, but now it's refusing to accept the iPod through the front USB connection. Between this, my old Onkyo blowing out my speakers, and my 4th Panasonic BD player now ceasing to play BD discs - electronics are getting too cumbersome for anyone less than experts or those with infinite patience these days. But all negativity aside, I know I can get a switch to solve possibly the HDMI problem, but does anyone know why the front USB port isn't accepting the iPod? Thank you again all.
post #7870 of 8728 Old 06-16-2014, 11:06 AM

Does anyone know how I can keep my settings for subwoofer level, treble, bass, center, etc after I manually set it in a Denon e400?

Everytime I turn the denon off and my Oppo 103 off and restart them both, I end up having to set everything all over again.

I do not want to use the audyssey setup as I was unhappy with how it configured itself when I first used it.

thanks for any leads. I have not found my answer in the manual.
post #7871 of 8728 Old 06-16-2014, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I have the AVR-X4000 and have a very odd problem related to Audyssey setup and Subwoofer level. When calibrating I set my subwoofer volume to match 75db and this is quite easy since Denon has an on-screen measurement for this. So far so good. After calibrating the sub is set to -5.

Now to the odd part which also leaves me with very little bass, when I go into speaker levels I get somewhere near 75db on all speakers but not the Subwoofer. The subwoofer level is so low it can barely be heard. What is going on here, is there some mismatch between Audyssey and Denon implementations?
post #7872 of 8728 Old 06-16-2014, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

You can't go by that speaker level setting.

How does it sound otherwise? If it is lacking for music and movies, run it 3db + hot.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
post #7873 of 8728 Old 06-16-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:

How does it sound otherwise? If it is lacking for music and movies, run it 3db + hot.

Why? The test tone should produce 75db and does so for all speakers but the sub is dead at that low level? The sub is a SVS SB12-Plus and during setup I had to go down to -27db to reach 75 db. According to SVS that is very unusual given the sub and my room size...
post #7874 of 8728 Old 06-16-2014, 02:43 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_sd View Post
I have the AVR-X4000 and have a very odd problem related to Audyssey setup and Subwoofer level. When calibrating I set my subwoofer volume to match 75db and this is quite easy since Denon has an on-screen measurement for this. So far so good. After calibrating the sub is set to -5.

Now to the odd part which also leaves me with very little bass, when I go into speaker levels I get somewhere near 75db on all speakers but not the Subwoofer. The subwoofer level is so low it can barely be heard. What is going on here, is there some mismatch between Audyssey and Denon implementations?

Audyssey calibrates the sub to the level the mixer intended; however, most prefer more bass, so simply raise the Subwoofer Level up +5db or to suit your preference. It's your setup so set the speaker and sub levels to whatever you prefer.

post #7875 of 8728 Old 06-16-2014, 02:45 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekalb View Post
Does anyone know how I can keep my settings for subwoofer level, treble, bass, center, etc after I manually set it in a Denon e400?

Everytime I turn the denon off and my Oppo 103 off and restart them both, I end up having to set everything all over again.

I do not want to use the audyssey setup as I was unhappy with how it configured itself when I first used it.

thanks for any leads. I have not found my answer in the manual.
The settings should be remembered, however, if you are using Quick Select buttons, they need to be rememorized after the setting changes. When running Audyssey, did you use either a camera tripod or better yet a mic boom stand as suggested in the Owner's manual? If not, this is most likely the reason for poor calibration results.

post #7876 of 8728 Old 06-16-2014, 02:48 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon D View Post
Per the X1000 - after 3 weeks, this machine sure does produce terrific audio if the setup is done correctly, but I've had a hell of a time getting this machine to handshake with other devices. The HDMI not accepting an older display I can somewhat understand, but now it's refusing to accept the iPod through the front USB connection. Between this, my old Onkyo blowing out my speakers, and my 4th Panasonic BD player now ceasing to play BD discs - electronics are getting too cumbersome for anyone less than experts or those with infinite patience these days. But all negativity aside, I know I can get a switch to solve possibly the HDMI problem, but does anyone know why the front USB port isn't accepting the iPod? Thank you again all.
Have you tried a soft reset (ie. unplug the unit for 10 minutes) as well as resetting the iPod?

post #7877 of 8728 Old 06-16-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Quote:

Why? The test tone should produce 75db and does so for all speakers but the sub is dead at that low level? The sub is a SVS SB12-Plus and during setup I had to go down to -27db to reach 75 db. According to SVS that is very unusual given the sub and my room size...

Are you using an SPL meter? The most commonly used one (Radio Shack) is quite inaccurate when it comes to measuring the subwoofer level.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #7878 of 8728 Old 06-16-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Audyssey calibrates the sub to the level the mixer intended; however, most prefer more bass, so simply raise the Subwoofer Level up +5db or to suit your preference. It's your setup so set the speaker and sub levels to whatever you prefer.
I get this but since I need not only to raise the level, but also the sub volume to reach 75db, something feels very wrong....
post #7879 of 8728 Old 06-16-2014, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I have the exact same thing with my X4000. Match 2 subs to 75db and after calibration, the subs are set to -6.5 and -7.0. When I go to the speaker levels, it is very low, however, when you crank up the level, I can here them. When I watch a Blu-Ray movie with HD audio, there is plenty of base. When I watch network TV with plain DD 5.1 I always want to turn up the base. I wish there was an easy way to turn the base up and down.

-Tony
post #7880 of 8728 Old 06-16-2014, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disto View Post
I have the exact same thing with my X4000. Match 2 subs to 75db and after calibration, the subs are set to -6.5 and -7.0. When I go to the speaker levels, it is very low, however, when you crank up the level, I can here them. When I watch a Blu-Ray movie with HD audio, there is plenty of base. When I watch network TV with plain DD 5.1 I always want to turn up the base. I wish there was an easy way to turn the base up and down.
Why not just adjust the subs under audio settings and then subwoofer level for blu ray, and then do the same on your cable/sat and then you can have a different level on each setting?

T100 likes this.
post #7881 of 8728 Old 06-16-2014, 05:41 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
I get this but since I need not only to raise the level, but also the sub volume to reach 75db, something feels very wrong....
Why wrong? It's reference vs. preference.

post #7882 of 8728 Old 06-16-2014, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Why not just adjust the subs under audio settings and then subwoofer level for blu ray, and then do the same on your cable/sat and then you can have a different level on each setting?

I think that it is a global setting. If I set it higher on the cable/sat input it is also higher on the blu ray input. It would be great if each input was independently adjustable.

-Tony
post #7883 of 8728 Old 06-16-2014, 06:37 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Subwoofer level can be set per surround mode.
T100 likes this.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 06-17-2014 at 09:39 AM.
post #7884 of 8728 Old 06-16-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Why wrong? It's reference vs. preference.
Not at all, Audyssey should calibrate all my speakers to play at reference level. Now, if I want it even higher that is preference. But at this point I just want it calibrated properly to a reference level.
post #7885 of 8728 Old 06-16-2014, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not at all, Audyssey should calibrate all my speakers to play at reference level. Now, if I want it even higher that is preference. But at this point I just want it calibrated properly to a reference level.
What tells you it isn't?
Your radio Shack spl meter?
If you demand perfection in reference level settings then go and buy a properly calibrated mic, download Rew, and run sine waves at your subs frequencies, graph them and come back with your findings.

Or turn it up on the AVR if you find the sub set too low and move on.
post #7886 of 8728 Old 06-16-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
What tells you it isn't?
Your radio Shack spl meter?
If you demand perfection in reference level settings then go and buy a properly calibrated mic, download Rew, and run sine waves at your subs frequencies, graph them and come back with your findings.

Or turn it up on the AVR if you find the sub set too low and move on.
My ears tell me that since I can't hear the test tone at all, that's why I've been trying to say. I haven't found the need of using SPL since the tone is low it cannot be heard. But ok, I'll go ahead and ask Denon about this since I didn't had these issues with my previous receiver.
post #7887 of 8728 Old 06-16-2014, 10:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
My ears tell me that since I can't hear the test tone at all, that's why I've been trying to say. I haven't found the need of using SPL since the tone is low it cannot be heard. But ok, I'll go ahead and ask Denon about this since I didn't had these issues with my previous receiver.
Really?? You aren't even using an spl meter?? Come on...

post #7888 of 8728 Old 06-17-2014, 03:11 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
All you should "hear" from a sub test tone is a very low rumble. Most subs are very efficient so the gain knob will likely be turned down to only 2-3 (of 10) in order for the final result to be about -6db which is where you want it such that after raising it (+3-5db) to suit one's "preference" it is closer to 0db which will ensure a strong enough signal is being passed to power on the sub when set to "AUTO."

post #7889 of 8728 Old 06-17-2014, 03:47 AM

Quote:
All you should "hear" from a sub test tone is a very low rumble. Most subs are very efficient so the gain knob will likely be turned down to only 2-3 (of 10) in order for the final result to be about -6db which is where you want it such that after raising it (+3-5db) to suit one's "preference" it is closer to 0db which will ensure a strong enough signal is being passed to power on the sub when set to "AUTO."
yes, I will look into this. One interesting thing is that SVS recommends to leave the Audyssey levels (i.e. at -6) and instead adjust the volume at the sub.
post #7890 of 8728 Old 06-17-2014, 03:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
yes, I will look into this. One interesting thing is that SVS recommends to leave the Audyssey levels (i.e. at -6) and instead adjust the volume at the sub.
I would stick to Audyssey recommendations and only do it in the AVR, otherwise you mess up the filters in place. That advice sounds like it is from someone who has never used Audyssey.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2309ci Receiver , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon , Denon Electronics , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Denon Avr E200 , Denon Avr E300 , Denon Avr E400 , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page